• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3’s Movies download service will go public early 2007 ?

Twix

Sources close to Sony said the company will enter the increasingly crowded digital movie download market, competing with companies such as Apple Computer and Microsoft. And as with Microsoft's Xbox Live service, Sony's offering will be made available for a video game console, in this case the PlayStation 3.

According to reports, the Sony service has been in the works for about a year and a half and will go public in early 2007. It will include movies from Sony Pictures Entertainment, and will eventually include content from other studios as well. Additionally, the service will enable PS3 users to synchronize the movie downloads with PlayStation Portable (PSP).

Sony hopes the new service will help the PS3 better compete with the Xbox 360, which began offering TV and movie downloads in November. But the biggest share of the digital movie download market belongs to Apple, which provides TV, video, and movie downloads via the iTunes Store. Currently, Apple offers only movies from Disney, but other studios are expected to come on board in early 2007.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/94608/94608.html

I remember Sony confirmed a video download service similar to YouTube..let’s wait and see !

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Cool news imo (cause I thought this was only for the psp, not the ps3 as well). I just hope those prices are good.
Sounds like Europe launch is going to have everything. lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
At least with this you can use the movies on more then the PS3, however prices better be comparable.

Not to mention your not stuck with the tiny 360 HDD

wasting

Banned
Suikoguy said:
At least with this you can use the movies on more then the PS3, however prices better be comparable.

Yea, It will be interesting to see how they do this, will there be two downloads one for psp and one for ps3? Or will the PS3 convert the file when you send it to your psp?

rubso

Banned
Suikoguy said:

Not to mention your not stuck with the tiny 360 HDD
you won't be stuck to your tiny 360 HDD, cause all the Movies are DRMd and they are going to be deleted in a matter of days.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bad_Boy said:
Cool news imo (cause I thought this was only for the psp, not the ps3 as well). I just hope those prices are good.
Sounds like Europe launch is going to have everything. lol

Sure. If we wait a little bit more, we might even get a PS4 rightaway.

Yoboman

PS3, the ultimate media center. A successful launch of an Itunes like service for home movies on a media system like PS3 could put it into the stratosphere. It's gonna happen eventually, Sony need to capitalise on this venture

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
wasting said:
Yea, It will be interesting to see how they do this, will there be two downloads one for psp and one for ps3? Or will the PS3 convert the file when you send it to your psp?
They could just do a firmware upgrade on the psp to allow these higher quality files my ps3 already plays. That way, one file for both systems, using the same logic they plan on doing for ps1 downloads. Though due to the lack of any higher quality video files in the last 2 years of psp's life, I have my doubts on it.

TTP said:
Sure. If we wait a little bit more, we might even get a PS4 rightaway.
it could happen. :p

Doctor_No

cank stoochie said:
isnt this gonna harm blu-ray?

To a certain extent, but full-length HD movies in 1080p, as Blu-ray offers, is enormous and may not be entirely worthwhile from the consumer/provider's perspective.

I'm hoping that Sony would focus on 480p content that is small and portable to the PSP, much like what Apple is planning with the iTV. Also, hoping pricing is kept in line with iTunes and the feature you can redownload content up to 5-times remains intact.

Top Bottom