• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CECHE01 vs CECHE01MG - different, or no?

drspeedy

kinda curious about this, since I have little knowledge about the various denominations of the PS3 consoles- any real technical or mechanical differences between an E01 and E01MG? Was it all cosmetic?

CECHE01MG is the 80gb model that came with the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. It was backwards compatible with PS2 through software rather than hardware like previous models.

I read around that the CECH-E01 is also 80gb and may have been included in a Motorstorm bundle. What I saw seems to indicate that it is also backwards compatible, the same as MG.

Looks like they're both the same thing, but labelled for different bundles. I've got the MG one and as far as I know, these models are the last ones to support PS2 games. I cant make any promises about the motorstorm one though since I dont own it.

My CECHE01MG died a few years back and I got a good deal on a slim so I just went for it. It yellow lighted (no boot) and no matter what I did I couldnt get the disc inside to eject anymore so I just took the thing apart to get it out. It's still apart to this day though I'd love to get it repaired since it can play three generations of playstation.

Top Bottom