• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Cell chip being shrank from 45nm to 22nm, when will we see this?

It's not just the Cell processor that's needed for emulation... but I do love the pipe dreams people have.

Sony plans on having the PS3 around as long as possible (they only just stopped producing PS2's last year right?). So of course they are going to want to cost cut the system even more for future free money.

What else do they need?

For starters, you'd need more ram. GDDR5 has way too high of latency. You'd need to completely redesign the board to be able to support multiple types of rams with their different voltages, etc. The entire interface with the Cell in addition to liverpool would be a freaking nightmare too.

For starters, you'd need more ram. GDDR5 has way too high of latency. You'd need to completely redesign the board to be able to support multiple types of rams with their different voltages, etc. The entire interface with the Cell in addition to liverpool would be a freaking nightmare too.

The ps3 has GDDR3 and XDR RAM. GDDR5 has higher latency than both?

Assuming RAM weren't an issue, what else would be needed?

neptunes

It's not just the Cell processor that's needed for emulation... but I do love the pipe dreams people have.

Sony plans on having the PS3 around as long as possible (they only just stopped producing PS2's last year right?). So of course they are going to want to cost cut the system even more for future free money.

If they really want to cut costs, SCEA is going to have to stop shipping PS3's with an HDD included. As of 2013, the HDDs that ship with PS3's have to be the most expensive component used in the complete Bill of Materials.

Audioboxer

I really hope there is another slim model at some point that looks better than the current one. The current one being the 'super slim'.

I do not mind sacrificing slot loading for a top loader as long as the design is good. Those indents on the current super slim I just cannot forgive.

NekoFever

If they really want to cut costs, SCEA is going to have to stop shipping PS3's with an HDD included. As of 2013, the HDDs that ship with PS3's have to be the most expensive component used in the complete Bill of Materials.
There's already a model in Europe with 12GB flash memory and no hard drive, so it wouldn't be surprising if that's the plan. It's cheaper and people who want it can add a hard drive themselves.

Vashetti

Banned
They should sell a HDD-less PS3 and make it absolutely clear on the packaging/marketing that a separate HDD must be bought and installed for it to work.

Uh guys? About this....

Diagram1.jpg.jpg
Diagram2.jpg.jpg

Vashetti

Banned
It means they keep the same fugly ass looking machine?

I really like the design of the Super Slim so I don't mind. It reminds me of the PS2 with the ridges.

I'm going to hold out until the 22nm Cell makes it in there though. The decreased heat and power consumption is a real draw for me.

lucius

I am not really fond of the Super Slims top slide out door, if revised I hope they improve that in some way.

M3d10n

I wonder if the ps4 will have a super high speed port specifically for this purpose.
The "removable adaptor" looks self contained to the point communication with the "next generation console" should involve receiving input, disk data and streaming out audio and video. There's even an encoder there.

It's basically a PS3 without a hard-drive, an optical drive, a PSU and other dedicated IO ports.

Jac_Solar

How come shrinking the chip is so great for reliability and so forth? Is it because a smaller chip means less resistance and distance to travel for the electricity/information?

stryke

How come shrinking the chip is so great for reliability and so forth? Is it because a smaller chip means less resistance and distance to travel for the electricity/information?

I think it's: smaller chip -> less power -> less heat -> less prone to failure.

Bert

2013 Sony Bravia range of TVs with inbuilt PS3 Super Computer powered by Gaikai Cloud gaming.

How cheap could they add PS3 to stuff? Would be an interesting solution to BC to have the hardware go ubiquitous and they could add Gakai as another option. I'd love to see it appear in Sony Blu Ray players, TVs, even some PCs as a Smart TV platform.

However since Sony outlined their plans for Gaikai and BC (sort of) I don't expect to this solution :/

Well it has come to light the Cell is able to be reduced further (something that wasn't an option before) could pretty much be in the cards considering the framework of Gaikai is far more limited.

Good damn that PS2 super slim was an amazing piece of hardware, the PS3 SS doesn't hold a candle to it.

slim ps2 still shocks me today for how small it is, back when it came out a friend had one and was showing me it over webcam, I thought at first he was holding a game dvd case, lol.

If I have twice the clocks, I can compensate for having half the SPEs. I can do even-odd-clock switching to simulate two 3.2GHz/256kB SPEs on one 6.4GHz/512kB SPE. Give me 100 million dollars and I'll show you.

Unfortunately, whilst that may be the case, you can't stop the PPE trying to issue multiple SPE jobs, more than you have SPEs for. Therefore back compat. wouldn't work.

Also, the DMA co-processor in the SPE would be overloaded - in fact you'd need two - because of SPE jobs dependant on daisy chained DMA jobs.

Mario007

It means they keep the same fugly ass looking machine?
Unless they can make considerable savings from changing the chasis to make it smaller I doubt we'll see a change in the design of the console. The innards though will be quite different.

Good damn that PS2 super slim was an amazing piece of hardware, the PS3 SS doesn't hold a candle to it.

original ps2, ps2 slim and ps3 1st slim are the best looking machines sony has made. the ps1 and psone were okay i guess. the ps3 super slim is kinda ugly.

Anteater

An external add-on for backward compatibility would be nice, for space, and if it could use the ps4's functionality like streaming and screenshots for old games.

It would be like a ps3 and ps4 duct taped together.

An external add-on for backward compatibility would be nice, for space, and if it could use the ps4's functionality like streaming and screenshots for old games.

It would be like a ps3 and ps4 duct taped together.

lol

But that is not such a bad idea actually if they already are planning to do gaika BC then why not also sell a device you that can do it. See it like a wii u connection but then in reverse.
But then again why not just keep your ps3.

My hope for BC was this gen games at 1080p resolution and that sony and microsoft had given developers guide lines to make that happen. So the console OS could override the resolution the developers had chosen for their game.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
A small chip means you can make more chips from one waver. It's economical, it doesn't mean a new console it coming. It just means that they can make a cheaper chip, which is very common during the life of a console.

An add-on for BC would have to contain a full set of PS3 hardware, not just a Cell chip, for assorted reasons.

Thunderbolt could handle it, though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't see why they would do this other then cost, 22nm is small, makes you think.

Top Bottom