• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

N.A

Banned
few0n.png

PS3 CFW & Homebrew is available on any PS3 with firmware 3.55 or lower (higher firmware consoles can perform a hardware downgrade, but this is beyond the scope of the thread).

charlequin said:
As I mentioned in the previous update thread, this thread will be for discussion of and assistance with the use of homebrew on the PS3 system, within the rules of NeoGAF. This means that:
  • As always, advocacy of piracy, linking to pirated materials, providing advice for or guides on committing piracy, or otherwise engaging in inappropriate behavior with regard to piracy will result in moderator action.
  • Engaging in complaining about this thread being allowed to exist, accusing posters in this thread of piracy, attempting to start debates about piracy or the ethics of homebrew, or otherwise trying to grind an axe for one's personal beliefs regarding homebrew legitimacy will also result in moderator action.

I and other moderators will be reading this thread. We will certainly extend posters the benefit of the doubt, but these rules will be enforced to keep conversation here productive. Please try to keep things productive and respectful in here. Thanks!

7Y7L7.png

• November 4th 2012 - Rogero 4.30 CFW 1.02 is released! Is safe! Upgrade from 3.55 or Upgrade from Rogero 4.21
  • October 23rd 2012 - 4.21 CFW released.
  • September 11th 2012 - PSN access is back with FuckPSN 0.9
  • August 29th 2012 - Showtime 4.0 Released..
  • August 28th 2012 - Lots of fixes released by N0DRM.
  • August 15th 2012 - Duplex announces they have cracked the True Blue DRM and are releasing many fixes!!
  • August 1st 2012 - 3.60 Keys Released. Many newer games now work including Dark Souls, Resistance 3 and Portal 2.
vBeE9.png

ZaSKB.png

lIT6x.png

Ah, the title gave me hope that a new exploit was found for the current firmware. :(

I am a little worried about the PS3 homebrew scene. Comparing to the Wii, or even the DS or PSP, it doesn't seem to have nearly as much homebrew, and it doesn't seem like the interest is there to make it so. I could be wrong though... I haven't checked in some time.

That said, I do eagerly await it so I can play a translated Tales of Vesperia on the PS3 in the future. I might decide to do the hardware downgrade route, as it doesn't seem that hard or expensive.

N.A

Banned
Also, I was a little worried about the PS3 homebrew scene. Compared to the Wii, at a quick glance, it doesn't seem to have nearly as much homebrew, and it doesn't seem like the interest is there to make it so. I could be wrong though... I haven't checked in some time.

In terms of amount and some of the cool experimentation on Wii, the PS3 is lacking. But what is there is pretty awesome. The emulators work great and Showtime far surpasses any console media solution except XBMC.

If Sony bans PSN access, is it a system or account block?

They have never banned anyone for using CFW.

BigDug13

I really thought there was some breakthrough on the emulation scene, and I even clicked the links above thinking they would take me to some kind of news.

I even have the PS3 USB adapters on my Quasicade arcade cabinet. http://www.arcadegamesuperstore.com/quasicade_pro.htm

But I guess my modded Xbox1 is still my go-to machine for pure emulation entertainment in my cabinet.

Hoplatee

If I understand this correct there might be a chance to downgrade at some point with these keys, right? I upgraded my PS3 for Journey because the scene was not all that active but I do miss running everything from my HD when I actually do play something (which isn't often) and had my fair share of fun with emulators.

It is some ancient 60GIG launch model. Thought I did read that newer models would never be able to downgrade (slims) but older ones were? This was months ago though.

I really thought there was some breakthrough on the emulation scene, and I even clicked the links above thinking they would take me to some kind of news.

I even have the PS3 USB adapters on my Quasicade arcade cabinet. http://www.arcadegamesuperstore.com/quasicade_pro.htm

But I guess my modded Xbox1 is still my go-to machine for pure emulation entertainment in my cabinet.

Tell me about it, Ive browsed a good year checking ps3 scene websites daily for emulation news, emulation pretty much stagnated around holiday 2010 when everything from Atari 2600 to GBA were available, but still no DC,(proper) PSX or N64 emus.

N.A

Banned
If I understand this correct there might be a chance to downgrade at some point with these keys, right? I upgraded my PS3 for Journey because the scene was not all that active but I do miss running everything from my HD when I actually do play something and had my fair share of fun with emulators.

It is some ancient 60GIG launch model. Thought I did read that newer models would never be able to downgrade (slims) but older ones were? This was months ago though.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a software downgrade. The new keys are the public keys used to decrypt files. I believe you would need the private keys to make a firmware you could downgrade to.

Aww. 3.55 and lower still?
Yes.

Hoplatee

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a software downgrade. The new keys are the public keys used to decrypt files. I believe you would need the private keys make a firmware you could downgrade to.

Alright, thanks for the fast answer. :(

Fredrik

This...
http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PSMAME_Compatibility_List
...is awesome, sooo many classics :eek:

I've never broken a single game from early 80's uptil now so backups don't interest me. But I want Mame. And I have a phat 60GB laying around. My experience with emulators so far has always been quite bad though (except Wii VC), so how well does games run? I want perfect emulation, no stuttering what so ever unless it's in the original too.

Can I use a regular PS3 arcade stick with Mame?

Erasus

Oh god I so want something like Showtime/XBMC as an official Sony app. I mean their blu-ray players support subtitles and mkv why dont they just patch it in :(

I dont have CFW on mine but always happy to see the scene alive!

chris0701

It has been long time for PS3 scene revived again.

How to take screenshot of any game with 3.55 custom firmware installed ?

I am a little worried about the PS3 homebrew scene. Comparing to the Wii, or even the DS or PSP, it doesn't seem to have nearly as much homebrew, and it doesn't seem like the interest is there to make it so. I could be wrong though... I haven't checked in some time.

That happens when a company goes and sues any one that is remotely related to the scene. Many homebrewers halted work on their projects out of fear that they would be targeted next. Even though the charges would have likely been thrown out, even challenging charges can be extremely costly. Gotta love American law.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, I'm an idiot. I spent a good 5-10 minutes trying to understand why RDR GoTY wasn't working with the 3.60 release of ebootfix, only to realise that I'd misread the required firmware -- 3.66, not 3.56.

N.A

Banned
A few new fixes are out: Jack & Daxter Trilogy, MGS HD Collection (Peace Walker doesn't work), Rage, Need for Speed: The Run & Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Oh, also PS2 backwards compatibility just got released for all PS3 on 3.55 or less. This is the buggy 2.60 version and only a few games work. Hopefully once newer keys are released there will be a way to modify PS2 classics to use the newer versions of the emulators.

A few new fixes are out: Jack & Daxter Trilogy, MGS HD Collection (Peace Walker doesn't work), Rage, Need for Speed: The Run & Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Oh, also PS2 backwards compatibility just got released for all PS3 on 3.55 or less. This is the buggy 2.60 version and only a few games work. Hopefully once newer keys are released there will be a way to modify PS2 classics to use the newer versions of the emulators.

So these fixes being released, are they patched eboots to run on DEX consoles, or are they re-encrypted eboots to work with CFW 3.55?

Also is there a list somewhere showing which post 3.55 games have since been patched to work?

This maybe the place to ask this.

A friend of mine called me today in a panic, because her son foolishly tried to Jail break her PS3. Now her PS3 is stuck in some sort of "Demo" mode. I told her I'd go over tomorrow to see if anything can be done.

Any suggestions as to how to get her back to OG firm ware?

How does the PS2 BC work?

Wow PS2 support for non-first gen PS3's... Awesome news.

I hear the PSP support is less buggy then that PS2 backwards compatibility. Was PSP support already available for 3.55 users besides the Multiman dongle?

Note: Does it piss anyone else off that there wasn't select backwards compatibility like the Xbox360, that Sony could of released this whole time. The had this at there fingers.. UHG

N.A

Banned
So these fixes being released, are they patched eboots to run on DEX consoles, or are they re-encrypted eboots to work with CFW 3.55?

Also is there a list somewhere showing which post 3.55 games have since been patched to work?

Re-encrypted eboots to work on 3.55. Compatibility list here: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS3_Backup_Compatibility_List

This maybe the place to ask this.

A friend of mine called me today in a panic, because her son foolishly tried to Jail break her PS3. Now her PS3 is stuck in some sort of "Demo" mode. I told her I'd go over tomorrow to see if anything can be done.

Any suggestions as to how to get her back to OG firm ware?

If the son got into factory service mode on a firmware higher than 3.55 there is no way back :( If it's lower you'll have to google how to make the jig to return it.

How does the PS2 BC work?

Sony have included a software emulator in FW since 2.60, but you can't normally access it. This patches the FW to allow you to use it.

Wow PS2 support for non-first gen PS3's... Awesome news.

I hear the PSP support is less buggy then that PS2 backwards compatibility. Was PSP support already available for 3.55 users besides the Multiman dongle?

Note: Does it piss anyone else off that there wasn't select backwards compatibility like the Xbox360, that Sony could of released this whole time. The had this at there fingers.. UHG

It's almost certain the emulator Sony is using for PS2 classics on PSN is compatible with many more games. Hopefully someone can hack it like the PSX emulator on PSP.

Borman

Does it use the hardware if it is a BC PS3? Or just the emulator files? Id love to be able to get some of my beta versions working on the PS3.

Edit : Nevermind, requires service mode = too much work for now.

Borman

I'm not sure what you mean. This will allow systems without PS2 hardware to play PS2 games through pure software emulation. Granted this is an old emulation model. :)

My point was, that I believe the PS3 only plays retail disk PS2 games currently. I was hoping DVD-rs would run, since that is what my beta disks come on :p

Edit : PS, the screenshot guide shows no text.

My point was, that I believe the PS3 only plays retail disk PS2 games currently. I was hoping DVD-rs would run, since that is what my beta disks come on :p

That is correct on any game that couldn't be fully installed on the HDD, so all but like 5 games. :)

I meant to say only 5 games could be installed on the HDD. :)

I only know because I installed Final Fantasy XI on the HDD and was able to boot it without the disc again.

Borman

Ah okay, I thought so, since DVD-rs still don't work for PS2 games. Such a shame really, I don't see why they wouldn't.

wiggleb0t

Banned
I so want to buy Tales of Graces F but wont support true blue dongle.
Any update on this being available to be played with new keys now available?

MNC

I still don't get why they don't use the firmware capabilities to screenshot every game, regularly, in every game.

SoulUnison

Banned
In terms of amount and some of the cool experimentation on Wii, the PS3 is lacking. But what is there is pretty awesome. The emulators work great and Showtime far surpasses any console media solution except XBMC.

They have never banned anyone for using CFW.

Wait, so you can have CFW, play on PSN, and it's not a risk? Or is one or more parts of that wrong?

I only have the one PS3, so losing PSN access is a dealbreaker.

N.A

Banned
Wait, so you can have CFW, play on PSN, and it's not a risk? Or is one or more parts of that wrong?

I only have the one PS3, so losing PSN access is a dealbreaker.

You can't access PSN at this time. Though any time it has been available they have never banned anyone and have not banned people who return to OFW.

test_account

XP-39C²
And decrypt newer firmware versions increasing the chance for new CFW.
I wonder how big chance there is for this. It was possible to decrypt OFW 3.56 with the 3.55 keys (those keys didnt change before OFW 3.60), but no one ever made CFW 3.56. I know about that DH 3.56 JFW thing, but that doesnt have the same possibilities as CFW 3.55, as far as i know at least.

If no one managed to make CFW 3.56, i wonder what the chances are for that someone will manage to make CFW 3.60+.

EDIT: I know that OFW 3.56 didnt really bring anything new, so in that sense there isnt much that was missed out on. But if it was easy, i'm sure that someone would have done it regardless, just to do it for fun if nothing else.

MMaRsu

Banned
I wonder how big chance there is for this. It was possible to decrypt OFW 3.56 with the 3.55 keys (those keys didnt change before OFW 3.60), but no one ever made CFW 3.56. I know about that DH 3.56 JFW thing, but that doesnt have the same possibilities as CFW 3.55, as far as i know at least.

If no one managed to make CFW 3.56, i wonder what the chances are for that someone will manage to make CFW 3.60+.

EDIT: I know that OFW 3.56 didnt really bring anything new, so in that sense there isnt much that was missed out on. But if it was easy, i'm sure that someone would have done it regardless, just to do it for fun if nothing else.

Well from what I've heard is that if you've found the 3.60 keys you should be able to make a lv0 exploit. But I'm not very knowledgeable on these things.

Top Bottom