• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

teiresias

Mana Meltdown!!!

I'm trying to see what's wrong with the shot Manabyte posted, and I can't tell what he's supposed to be complaining about.

f@luS

More than a member.
ManaByte said:
Look at Vaan's hair in my screen above...his neck...and the armor of the guard. You can still see the same ****ing vertical interlacing bullshit fanboys are praising this as fixing, but it didn't fix it at all. They just covered it up.
could u calm down u look like 10 years old damnit.

its not the same issue at all , its a...Ps2 games, aliasing is kinda normal , ive just tried some games on my CRT+PS2 it looks the same with PS3+tvhd

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ManaByte said:
and the vertical interlacing problem was NOT resolved
The problem everyone was complaining about (and showing screenshots of) was not vertical but horizontal broken scaling, and wasn't interlacing related at all.

That said, I've no idea what I should be seeing in your shot - got any "correct" shot in the same pose?

Ah the internet-- where a problem one must point out to a person = something not working at all.

OK, there's an issue-- how does this equate to BC "not working" again?

Wollan

Happy%20are%20God's%20People.gif

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ignatz Mouse said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out, Manabyte overreaction FTW?

f@luS

More than a member.
seriously we have finally the best BC so far of any system.

Xbox is crap , half of my games arent working.
Wii is cool , but still annoying to have to put the GC controller , and GC memory card every time ....and if u want to boot on a GC game u still have to use the wiimote to launch it.
On ps3 we have a good BC with Virtual memory card and we can use the same controller

that rox

Hmm, loaded up FF12...I guess I need to do some more comparison between PS2/PS3 later as I can't say I've found anything particularly wrong yet. Ingame actually looked a bit clearer than I'm use to, though I'm probably just going to file that under TV settings for the moment.

MGS3 didn't look particularly blurry, but something seemed odd. Could be nothing. There was a single line horizontal issue on the konami logo. I need to spend some time rebooting and comparing between systems, I guess...

Are they offering 480i over HDMI, so that you can have your set do the deinterlacing if you wish?

Either way, awesome news.

Is there any perceptible lag?

Shawn

Banned
To anyone who uses an LCD HDTV I seriously do not understand how you can be excited about this update.

Think about it:

PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games (and DVDs) were designed to be played on direct-view CRT TVs.

When you play a PS1 or PS2 (or DVD) on an LCD HDTV, the image gets SCALED to the LCD's display resolution of 768p.

So, you're taking a 480i or 480p image and SCALING it all the way up to 768p. It's gonna look like sh*t. It's gonna mutilate the image. It's not supposed to look like that. You know what I'm saying?

So... I'll tell you this: A PS1 or PS2 game (or DVD) will look BETTER on my dusty 6 year old 14" flat screen direct-view CRT TV through component, than on the latest and greatest LCD HDTV.

For the serious videophile, the only way a PS2 game will look good on an LCD HDTV is if it outputs in high definition (720p).

Edit:
IMHO, for the serious videophile (using an LCD HDTV) -- for the image/picture quality purists -- this update will make PS1/PS2 games go from "sh*t" to "eh".

theBishop

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Ah the internet-- where a problem one must point out to a person = something not working at all.

There was actually someone in another thread who said "i wish Sony did BC like microsoft"!

I had to walk away. Even when the games looked cludgy, they still ran accurately and smoothly. There was never a comparison.

But now that the issue has been fixed (or band-aid'd), I wonder how that poster would respond.

If your tv is a lcd its possible that the 720x360 image is being scaled over twice the ammount of pixels and could cause a little jag her and there.

They have done a huge improvement with ps2's bc and hell theres probably going to be a lot of updates to come.

f@luS

More than a member.
Im sorry but if u just play with a correct distance it looks as good as on any CRT.

I have "only" a 26" , i play like what....50cm when im playing with my PS3 , but with the PS2 or wii , i am at 2meters...and it looks amazing

f@luS said:
Im sorry but if u just play with a correct distance it looks as good as on any CRT.

I can't agree with that at all. SD->HD scaling on most sets does create an image that looks worse than on a CRT (both viewed at a proper distance). It totally depends on the scaler.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I can't agree with that at all. SD->HD scaling on most sets does create an image that looks worse than on a CRT (both viewed at a proper distance). It totally depends on the scaler.

I feel quite fortunate to have happened to buy a projector with a good scaler, even though I did zero research on that aspect beforehand.

It also means that DVDs don't look too bad, unless they're just plain encoded badly.

f@luS

More than a member.
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Yeah but the scalling effect is invisible at a certain distance.

In fact , if i play 2 meters away , it looks better than on my CRT coz of the sharpness setting of my TVHD (unbearrable too close from the TV but amazing result when playing far)

DarienA said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out, Manabyte overreaction FTW?
QFT.
ManaByte said:
PS2 games looking worse than the originally did is not the same issue?

As far as I am concerned, the PS3 is still not backwardly compatible until they REALLY fix this issue.
Why don't you just sell your PS3 since you never seem to be happy with it.

As far as I know, I'm not noticing any other major issue. The only problem I have is not being able to play DDR with my pad, Taiko Drum, and Guitar Hero yet, but oh well, at least I can play most all my PS2 games on PS3 right, without worrying.

Thanks Sony. :)

sammy

--- man i'm so confused...

will i EVER be able to to play Shadow of the Colossus at 720p or 1080i???

the PS3 is much more tempting now, since all i ever wanted was solid BC. but are games running as they always have, or better resolutions?

RuGalz

ManaByte said:
Um, I think they ****ed up FFXII with this update...

If you set FFXII to 16:9 mode, it only takes up half of the screen on a 16:9 TV:
ffxiips31qx.jpg

This pisses me off. I was waiting for this update to play FFXII but if I want to play it I need to do it with the top 1/3 of the screen cut off.

Wtf, please tell me that you know cut scenes in FF12 aren't full screen right? You have played the game right? You are more intelligent than you make it sound right?

There's still a little bit of blacks on top and bottom depends on games because PS2 games usually don't run at full 640x480 res. But any ****ing developer with some brain can guess why that's happening.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ManaByte, I really can't see the problem to the degree you are saying. Like Dark explained, a soft focus filter wouldn't fix that Squeenix logo...I dunno, I put in KH2 and all the text looks fantastic.

BuddyC

MickeyKnox said:
What a wonderful surprise/
The update was fast as hell too, 20sec download, installed in less than a minute.
Yea, it was pretty speedy on my end too. A very nice change of pace!

Crisis

Banned
RuGalz said:
Wtf, please tell me that you know cut scenes in FF12 aren't full screen right? You have played the game right? You are more intelligent than you make it sound right?

There's still a little bit of blacks on top and bottom depends on games because PS2 games usually don't run at full 640x480 res. But any ****ing developer with some brain can guess why that's happening.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The FF12 part, I mean.

Argyle

ManaByte said:
Um, I think they ****ed up FFXII with this update...

If you set FFXII to 16:9 mode, it only takes up half of the screen on a 16:9 TV:
ffxiips31qx.jpg

This pisses me off. I was waiting for this update to play FFXII but if I want to play it I need to do it with the top 1/3 of the screen cut off.

Edit: And the ****ing vertical interlacing problem is STILL THERE. All they did was add what looks like a blur filter to cloud it a bit, but it is DEFINITELY THERE. You can especially notice it when the screen is moving; still pictures make it more difficult to notice.

That's your TV. Sorry. Hope you can fix it in the service menu.

The other problem l(see corrupted Squeenix logo) looked more like a framebuffer deswizzling problem and it is FIXED. They are also probably using the PS3 hardware to filter the image to fill the whole screen, which accounts for the softness. In the situation where the game was using field rendering and the game needs to upconvert to 480p over HDMI, there's really not much else they can do but have the thing comb, or make the picture really really soft, neither of which are really appealing on a progressive display.

Edit: lollerskates if the problem really is the fact that those cutscenes never did fill up the whole scene...

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Avalon said:
So image is a bit more blurry now? Does this happen over component or is it only an HDMI issue?

Well my system is hooked up via HDMI. Don't know if anything looks different on component or not.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sweet.

I'm glad I waited to pick up a ps3.
As soon as some great anticipated games come out later this year, I’m sold.
Because hopefully the system will be in tiptop shape with their firmware updates.
Here's one already.

teiresias

Oh, about the image "shift" thing, even on my SD TV (and playing it on a PS2) some games that have 16:9 cutscenes have more black bar on the bottom than on the top. It's been a while since I sat down with FFXII so I can't remember if it was one that did that, but I'm thinking it was. I never really thought about it that much since the display, when actually playing the game, was centered fine.

JB1981

Shawn said:
To anyone who uses an LCD HDTV I seriously do not understand how you can be excited about this update.

Think about it:

PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games (and DVDs) were designed to be played on direct-view CRT TVs.

When you play a PS1 or PS2 (or DVD) on an LCD HDTV, the image gets SCALED to the LCD's display resolution of 768p.

So, you're taking a 480i or 480p image and SCALING it all the way up to 768p. It's gonna look like sh*t. It's gonna mutilate the image. It's not supposed to look like that. You know what I'm saying?

So... I'll tell you this: A PS1 or PS2 game (or DVD) will look BETTER on my dusty 6 year old 14" flat screen direct-view CRT TV through component, than on the latest and greatest LCD HDTV.

For the serious videophile, the only way a PS2 game will look good on an LCD HDTV is if it outputs in high definition (720p).

Edit:
IMHO, for the serious videophile (using an LCD HDTV) -- for the image/picture quality purists -- this update will make PS1/PS2 games go from "sh*t" to "eh".

and the goal posts keep moving and moving and moving. You guys suck.

lol

When it rains good news for Sony, it really pours. I didn't even know about this issue (don't have a PS3) but it seems like everyone's attitude should be more like: 'it's about damn time, Sony', rather than 'haaaaaaaaaaaleluiah.'

Silly that this wasn't sorted at launch, but boy am I glad it's here now!

EDIT: I suppose it's too much to ask for the general non-BC resolution issues to have been fixed? Or have they already?

mentalfloss said:
lol

When it rains good news for Sony, it really pours. I didn't even know about this issue (don't have a PS3) but it seems like everanyone's attitude should be 'it's about damn time, Sony', rather than 'haaaaaaaaaaaleluiah.'

Or howabout-- oh, no big probelm in the first place, glad they fixed it.

Really, the issue was overblown to begin with.

I can think of several things I'd rather they enhance or fix that matter more to me.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Or howabout-- oh, no big probelm in the first place, glad they fixed it.

Really, the issue was overblown to begin with.

I can think of several things I'd rather they enhance or fix that matter more to me.
This was a huge issue for me. I play far more PS2 games than PS3 games at this point, and my PS2 and PS3 are two of my three biggest consoles, making it something of a pain to keep them both hooked up simultaneously. I'm really glad to be able to confidently toss the PS2 at this point.

Except that I still haven't played Guitar Hero 2. Shit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MickeyKnox said:
What a wonderful surprise/
The update was fast as hell too, 20sec download, installed in less than a minute.
20sec download? Sounds like they might be starting to do FW updates that only download what's changed, not a complete new copy of the FW. Anyone know the size of the download?

JB1981

kaching said:
20sec download? Sounds like they might be starting to do FW updates that only download what's changed, not a complete new copy of the FW. Anyone know the size of the download?

It took longer to install the update than it did to download (for me, anyway). I just downloaded the 300 trailer 2 nights ago and it was the speediest DL I've had over the network yet. Blazing.

KTallguy

Banned
I got the update but haven't tested it ... all my US PS2 games are in San Diego :(

But my download speed kind of sucks, I think it must be my router settings because my friend's downloads go as fast as hell. Does anyone know a thread that has advice about improving PS3 wireless download speed?

Also, huzzah!

theBishop

Banned
mentalfloss said:
lol

When it rains good news for Sony, it really pours. I didn't even know about this issue (don't have a PS3) but it seems like everyone's attitude should be more like: 'it's about damn time, Sony', rather than 'haaaaaaaaaaaleluiah.'

The system has been out for 2 months, and already had nearly 100% backward compatibility with 8000 PSone and PStwo games at launch. The only downside was the image quality issue.

And now it's fixed. Haaaaaaaaaleluiah!

Credit where its due, son.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Are they offering 480i over HDMI, so that you can have your set do the deinterlacing if you wish?

Either way, awesome news.

Is there any perceptible lag?

I have mine hooked up with HDMI/DVI...no lag, but no 480i. I don't think HDMI can carry an interlaced signal, can it?

As for this fix...I only had time this morning to try out Street Fighter 3. SF3 on PS3 looks like SF3 on my Xbox1 running at 480p, except with the odd frame where you can see the orginal interlacing. (Look at things like the dust on the ground during a dash, or the first few frames of a parry).

Otherwise, looks awesome. Very clean, very smooth, yet sharper than on the PS2. Before, there were noticeable scaling artifacts, particularly when the image was stretched to wide screen. That has now been fixed.

The pics of FF12 also look very much improved.

It's not that far off from what the Xbox360 does at this point: X360 takes the Xbox1 games, scales them to 720p and applies AA or some other filter to smooth it out (which can result in some washed out graphics for some titles like Shenmue II). PS3 outputs 480p with some filter now, your TV does the scaling to 720p/1080i/1080p...for most TVs, this is going to produce a similar image when all is said and done.

X360 just benefits from the fact Xbox1 games look on average a generation better than PS2 games when it comes to image quality. :)

But PS3's near perfect compatibility and now this fix make it the BC feature to beat. MS better have a monster update coming soon. :)

theBishop

Banned
KTallguy said:
I got the update but haven't tested it ... all my US PS2 games are in San Diego :(

But my download speed kind of sucks, I think it must be my router settings because my friend's downloads go as fast as hell. Does anyone know a thread that has advice about improving PS3 wireless download speed?

Also, huzzah!

You should put your PS3 in the DMZ in the router configuration. If that improves the speed, then you can go deeper and set up port forwarding. If it doesn't affect it, then its the servers or someone is hogging bandwidth on your network.

Top Bottom