• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Freak

Hell Yeah, this is what we're talking about....
But what codecs will it handle?, and wtf is DLNA3

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Aokage said:
So, PS1 and 2 "upscaling" -- what does it mean?

Will games actually render in 1080p, or will their 480i image just be deinterlaced and blown up in software (which would be teh lame), and, if so, will that introduce an input lag?

PS3 already adds 2 frames of lag when playing non pro scan games through forced 480p. My guess is that games will still be rendered in 480i and scaled with software.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damn, that's quite an amazing update!

All three new features are really good stuff. Fainlly, network streaming, hell it finally gives some good use to PSP remote play as well.

teepo

hopefully with the remote play feature i can browse the contents in my lan too which would be uber badass

tanod

when is my burrito
Nothing can render in 1080p or 720p unless it was originally created to do so, including the Xbox 360.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
720p BD is something that probably won't end up in a press release if they ever do fix it. Like the whole 1.5FW ps2 IQ fix.

chriskzoo

Banned
Can someone explain how this will work?

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

I really just want a way to transfer movies TO my PS3 for viewing, not vice versa.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if downloadable games will be upscaleable now also.

Anyone know what kind of software is out there on PC for DLNA streaming? What's the best?

seanoff

tanod said:
So does DLNA3 mean that I can get media off of my computer through my router or is that a home server thing?

Comparison shots of games and movies as soon as the update goes up, please????

Start yelling **** YES!!!!!! Repeatedly

www.dlna.org

basically take images/movies/photos off any DLNA device and play them on your TV thru the PS3

gogogow

Holy S***!

Wow, I knew Sony were considering these upgrades, but didn't know all of these would come at once.........tomorrow!

We only need 720p BD playback now and I don't think it's far away. Make it happen Sony!

Kinan

As much as I hate Sony tradition to not speak anything about upcoming stuff until its done, its the moments like this that make up for all the wait. Awesome.

Now i need to read up on that DLNA3 thing. Will it allow me to watch an AVIs from my PC or it is just allow me to see my AVIs on PC and I still will need to convert em to mp4?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available.

must say this again:

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available.

**** YES!

Raistlin

tanod said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLNA

It's there on Wikipedia. I still don't know exactly what it means. Does my router and computer have to be DLNA3 certified or something?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be certified ... that only guarantees full connectivity?

Unless serving out is handled in a very distinct way. Regardless, I would think there is server software available?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The PSP remote play wont be there immediately, as you need firmware 3.5 for the PSP which gets released later this month (says the press release).

Ryu1999

chubigans said:
The PSP remote play wont be there immediately, as you need firmware 3.5 for the PSP which gets released later this month (says the press release).

Thankfully Dark Alex better work fast :p

tanod

when is my burrito
badcrumble said:
PS2 emulators for the PC would suggest otherwise.

Isn't that still scaling, with just the addition of different filters? Do the games have special and specific emulation code written for them?

GCQuinton

TONX said:

must say this again:

**** YES!

Yeah, that's huge. My PSP just got WAAYYY more valuable. Can't wait to test out the media stuff tomorrow. One slight disappointment though from what I saw is no mention of upscaling PS3 titles. Compared to everything else we're getting, I'll let it slide :)

SpokkX

gofreak said:
That shouldn't be the case, someone was showcasing a DLNA media server running off of PS3 linux a short while ago. So certainly pure software solutions can exist. I just wonder what's out there in PC land at the moment.

Sigh why not just use samba?

Anyway I wonder if there is some DLNA3-compatible server software for PC:s?

Top Bottom