• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 4.10 - WEB BROWSER IMPROVEMENTS JEFF_RIGBY REDEEMED

Any idea on when the update's gonna show up on the PS3 US site so I can get it via storage media? My PS3 can't download shit worth shit. :|

Angry Fork

this is not the upgrade guys, it's just a patch to get the web browser functional enough for something Sony has planned.

Jeff Rigby at it again. Months of updates part 2 incoming.

Can't stop, won't stop.

thMoz.gif

Well finally an update to the broswer ...now give me the option to have more than 6 tabs and i'll be perfect ..

or maybe a simplified broswer version for in-game (
i know i'm dreaming
)

androvsky

holy shit what happened??

the browser is really updated? for real?

can i watch youtube properly..? gametrailers?

Yup, it's a webkit browser now. Keep in mind only the browser's been upgraded, the flash plugin hasn't really changed and is still on 9.0, I checked. So youtube in 240p only, etc.

And the new PS3 browser is now as fast (or should I say as slow) as IE8 in Sunspider javascript benchmark, so responsiveness should be much closer to the desktop experience after the update.
Javascript might be much faster, but the drawing operations are apparently done in software on the PPU (as predicted), because it's slow as hell scrolling around.

Kinan

148, 1/7 HTML5 tests (the sprite one worked). Lots of "codec not supported" messages popping up, which we knew already, webgl doesn't work, and it's slow as hell at drawing operations which I'm sure surprises no one that's used the new browser. There's probably not any kind of hardware drawing acceleration at this point.

It worked ok but there's alot of unsupported stuff.

Can you see this?-

http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/results?key=4ttW&resultId=2148615

Thanks guys. So its basically runs like 2009 Atom netbook with Firefox 3. :)

browser_benchmark.jpg

Yea, it was hard to expect any kind of hardware acceleration. Its 2006 hardware after all and browser is running on very tight memory budget. Still, there is a clearly still some room for improvement here.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
so does this run the octoshape plug in now? In 2007, I was able to stream nba league pass on my ps3 using the browser. Then in 09, NBA switched up from flash to Octoshape and the PS3 cried. Never used the browser again.

androvsky

so does this run the octoshape plug in now? In 2007, I was able to stream nba league pass on my ps3 using the browser. Then in 09, NBA switched up from flash to Octoshape and the PS3 cried. Never used the browser again.

If it's a plugin, I think I can safely say no.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Does it? I couldn't get more than 240p when I tried it.
Thats more an issue with the Flash Player than the actual browser, what i meant is that it doesnt freezes anymore.
At least for the one or two minutes ive tried.

Yup, it's a webkit browser now. Keep in mind only the browser's been upgraded, the flash plugin hasn't really changed and is still on 9.0, I checked. So youtube in 240p only, etc.

Javascript might be much faster, but the drawing operations are apparently done in software on the PPU (as predicted), because it's slow as hell scrolling around.
It looks like it's only using pixman not Cairo yet which would figure since WebGL isn't supported yet. If you zoom 100% you see the Pixman/Truetype2 (halftone AA) and with Cairo it should look nearly as good at full zoom.

My understanding was CairoGL which included Pixman and Glitz was supposed to be openGL rendered. Pixman as a separate library is something different from the descriptions of the GTKwebkit OpenGL Cairo-Pixman

So androvsky, you think this is a quick and dirty patchjob to get a working browser (without GTKtoolkit or Cairo or Gstreamer or glib) or is this the final browser front end but we might get some more features down the road? Hint: Remember it's a .1 upgrade.

Does it? I couldn't get more than 240p when I tried it.

Yeah its still a shame that youtube does not work properly as it only gives crappy 240p quality as an option. So really its no better than the horrible XL tube.

and that site is a ducttape solution thats bloated with ads, i don't want to go through 5 steps of instructions to get a single video to work in HD :/

androvsky

Yeah its still a shame that youtube does not work properly as it only gives crappy 240p quality as an option. So really its no better than the horrible XL tube.

and that site is a ducttape solution thats bloated with ads, i don't want to go through 5 steps of instructions to get a single video to work in HD :/

You only have to do those steps about once a month or so, it remembers the cookie.

It must be my Internet, but I cannot get this update to finish downloading. Every time I try, it gets to about 18 percent and says there is an error. I've never had this problem before...

Well, looking forward to the improved browser whenever I can access it.

kvn

It must be my Internet, but I cannot get this update to finish downloading. Every time I try, it gets to about 18 percent and says there is an error. I've never had this problem before...

Well, looking forward to the improved browser whenever I can access it.

Try beating to a pulp.

Raoh

I had always hoped for in game browser support.. where you would get updated recipes/schematics/treasure hunts/etc from the web for information to be used in game.

Go to an in game terminal, bring up whatever site is related to the game, interact in chat rooms, bbs style even get your info or passcode left behind for you almost demon's souls like and bam, continue on your single player adventure.

Or linking Resistance.net to Resistance 3 via in game browser.

Ahhh to foolishly dream

Props to Jeff for not letting the haters get to him. I was one of the few Gaffers that admire is research and contribution. This is just the beginning......

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Update seems to have mess up my controller. >_<

Has anyone had any issues with the update?

My controller randomly activates XMB, D-pad right doesnt works now and left randomly works. left analogue stick works and doesnt work at times. Pressing both sticks might activate the XMB. Controller turns off and on.

I had always hoped for in game browser support.. where you would get updated recipes/schematics/treasure hunts/etc from the web for information to be used in game.

Go to an in game terminal, bring up whatever site is related to the game, interact in chat rooms, bbs style even get your info or passcode left behind for you almost demon's souls like and bam, continue on your single player adventure.

Or linking Resistance.net to Resistance 3 via in game browser.

Ahhh to foolishly dream

Hmm, unfortunately the closest we have come to your dream so far is stuff like Burnout Paradise, where you had to wait until "commercial message of the day" loaded up and tried to sell you shit before you could play. It was plainly a web page though, had those PS3 browser fingerprints all over it.

EDIT: and to be fair, it did have some game related content too. My memory is hazy!

androvsky

Update seems to have mess up my controller. >_<

Has anyone had any issues with the update?

My controller randomly activates XMB, D-pad right doesnt works now and left randomly works. left analogue stick works and doesnt work at times. Pressing both sticks might activate the XMB. Controller turns off and on.
Try resetting your controller, theres a small hole on the bottom where you can insert a pin to push a button.

Strange, number one hit for me when I searched it.

But everyone complaining about 240p YT should use http://www.ps3youtube.com/ instead of regular YT.

I can never get that site to work. I followed the instructions and i still see the green text.

Edit- Im dumb. All this time i was copying the page instead oflink.

The site runs real slow now after this update though. Many sites i visit run a little bit jankier. Is it the memory used for this update?

Ashes

Banned
He was born in that thread, matured to a member status in that thread, and I've yet to see him post outside ps3/console future concept threads. :D

wouwie

The browser definately renders a lot of websites better now. There seems to be some refresh issue though if you scroll up and down. The previous browser crashed my ps3 frequently so i wonder if that issue is resolved too.

Such a pity we still can't select a better quality for youtube. I always hoped that one day i could stream movie or game trailers with youtube but the 240p resolution looks crap.

I wonder if maybe we will see more updates for the browser in the future. It took them a good while to do something about the browser but maybe the new browser (engine?) will allow for more frequent updates.

sTeLioSco

Banned
The browser definately renders a lot of websites better now. There seems to be some refresh issue though if you scroll up and down. The previous browser crashed my ps3 frequently so i wonder if that issue is resolved too.

Such a pity we still can't select a better quality for youtube. I always hoped that one day i could stream movie or game trailers with youtube but the 240p resolution looks crap.

I wonder if maybe we will see more updates for the browser in the future. It took them a good while to do something about the browser but maybe the new browser (engine?) will allow for more frequent updates.

Strange, number one hit for me when I searched it.

But everyone complaining about 240p YT should use http://www.ps3youtube.com/ instead of regular YT.

works for me....

Top Bottom