• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 got hit with YLOD...but how the hell do I take out the disc inside? :|

jett

D-Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

40GB, three years old. :| I almost don't care about the machine, but I want that disc out.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Unless you send it in for repairs you're going to have to take the thing apart as far as I know.

DEO3

For what its worth, I was able to fix my YLoD by removing the hard drive and slapping it back in.

ameratsu

If you send it to sony they will do this for you. Otherwise there's probably a video on youtube detailing the process.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
can do the YLOD fix. It fixes it only temp. but gives you enough time to get discs out/plus other stuff.

Takes time/certain equipment though.

TheHakku

If it's a 40GB, you may be able to do the fan test to retrieve the disc. Hold the eject button until the disc comes out.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Have you tried holding eject? I think most of the models released after launch will eject the disc if you hold the button for ~10 seconds.

get a blowdryer, blow into the back vents for about ten minutes (five minutes the left side, 5 the right), let the system cool off for about 20-30 minutes, press eject, BAM: you'll have your disc back.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I was under the impression that you could remove the disc manually from the console without dismantling the drive... Is it possible?

Boken

Banned
When I called Sony, they talked me through a method to get the PS3 to eject the disc. I'm sorry to say that I've since forgotten it, but I can tell you that you can do it without opening the drive and such. I believe I had to turn the PS3 off at the back, hold the eject button, and turn it on... repeated this a few times until it finally ejected. Either way, give Sony a call or look it up somehow.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Boken said:
When I called Sony, they talked me through a method to get the PS3 to eject the disc. I'm sorry to say that I've since forgotten it, but I can tell you that you can do it without opening the drive and such. I believe I had to turn the PS3 off at the back, hold the eject button, and turn it on... repeated this a few times until it finally ejected. Either way, give Sony a call or look it up somehow.
Unfortunately it only works for certain models ;;
My old 60gb couldnt do that.

There are a lot of guides on Youtube. Thats how I did it last year. You're going to need a tiny screw driver though since the first screw is a bitch. After that its simple.

jett

D-Member
Can't even dismantle the PS3, I need a special screwdriver I don't have...

Holding down the eject button with the power button on the back off only made the fans go into overdrive. :p

edit: wait fuck yeah that enabled me to take the disc out, thanks a lot!

1) Turn everything off including the power at the back.

2) Hold down the eject button

3) Turn the power on in the back (keep holding eject)

4) Turn the soft power switch on (keep holding eject)

This only works with some models, but lucky for you you have a 40GB, which is one of the models it works with

Edit: A second too late, just noticed you tried that and it only made the fans go crazy. That is in fact what is supposed to happen, along with your disc coming out. Are you absolutely sure there's a disc in there?

jett

D-Member
cpp_is_king said:
1) Turn everything off including the power at the back.

2) Hold down the eject button

3) Turn the power on in the back (keep holding eject)

4) Turn the soft power switch on (keep holding eject)

This only works with some models, but lucky for you you have a 40GB, which is one of the models it works with

Edit: A second too late, just noticed you tried that and it only made the fans go crazy. That is in fact what is supposed to happen, along with your disc coming out. Are you absolutely sure there's a disc in there?

I managed to take the disc out during the fans thing, thanks.

BTW is there a way to access the recovery menu with a YLOD'd PS3, or to remotely deactivate the machine?

jett said:

BTW is there a way to access the recovery menu with a YLOD'd PS3, or to remotely deactivate the machine?

http://twitter.com/#!/AskPlayStation/status/43385205431599104

Tons of great info on that twitter page.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
jett said:

They can deactivate the machine from your account if you call customer support. They usually only do it for systems you send in for repair, but you might get lucky and get someone helpful. If you don't get someone helpful, do the blowdryer trick. That should give you enough time to deactivate the machine and backup any data you have.

jett

D-Member
Thanks guys.

I'll try the blowdryer trick tomorrow to deactivate my account and backup my saves.

Wait, I just remembered my Demon's Souls save is locked.

Fffuuu_The_Game-s395x317-59013-535.jpg
noooo_birds.jpg

...and if i end up getting a new PS3 I'm gonna have to redownload all my crap. :| BTW do slim PS3 still get hit with the YLOD and stuff?

entremet

jett said:
Thanks guys.

I'll try the blowdryer trick tomorrow to deactivate my account and backup my saves.

noooo_birds.jpg

...and if i end up getting a new PS3 I'm gonna have to redownload all my crap. :| BTW do slim PS3 still get hit with the YLOD and stuff?
No PSN+? Cloud saving for locked saves ftw.

bwahhhhh

entrement said:
No PSN+? Cloud saving for locked saves ftw.

damn... hope jett can recover it.

but this reminds me, if you have PSN+ currently, and have uploaded saves, but cancel later... can you renew at some point and recover your saves? Or are your saves deleted the moment that your PSN+ account is closed?

I would think that the latter would be a huge incentive for many people to at least give PSN+ a trial go.

Good luck with the "fixes", as neither one worked for me. Just be prepared to take that thing apart to get it.

Then you can do what I did and see how long it takes a ps3 to melt.

jett

D-Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
That's a great idea. With the blowdryer trick you'll probably have enough time to set up plus and backup that save file.

Right now I don't really feel like giving Sony a cent of my money to be honest. :p I'll deal with the loss.

mollipen

My poor 60GB died recently with my copy of Uncharted 2 stuck in it. There's a place here locally that says they fix YLOD issue for $40, which I'm going to look into. I don't expect the machine to last a long time after that, but I've heard if I ship it to Sony it's $150, I'll probably get a refurb instead, and I shoulnd't expect the refurb to last very long anyhow.

jett said:
Thanks guys.

noooo_birds.jpg

You can still recover your locked saves using the HDD backup. Restore HDD on a new PS3, then login to PSN.

THere's also the data transfer method where you hookup your old PS3 to the new one, but I've never tried it.

conman

jett said:
I lost my DS save twice. I feel your pain. If only cloud saving had existed six months ago.

I really love the game, but after that experience (twice!), I had to give it up. There was simply no way I was going to start all over again for the third time--at least not without getting a New Game+ out of the deal. Tragic.

jett said:
Right now I don't really feel like giving Sony a cent of my money to be honest. :p I'll deal with the loss.

Don't feel bad, month or so ago I lost an entire hard drive worth of saves, 4 years worth of stuff. I had a couple 100+ hour saves on there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CosmicGroinPull said:
You can still recover your locked saves using the HDD backup. Restore HDD on a new PS3, then login to PSN.
Restore only works on the same PS3 it was backed up from I thought? Which is why they put in the transfer option.

XiaNaphryz said:
Restore only works on the same PS3 it was backed up from I thought? Which is why they put in the transfer option.

Correct. If your PS3 won't boot, there is absolutely nothing you can do to get your saves back. Nothing.

Sagitario said:
What exactly is the YLOD and what causes it?

Are Slim consoles still affected by it?

yellow light of death. it's caused by your ps3 dying. Deaths can happen for a number of reasons, but the most common seems to be "it just got old". Obviously no Slims have been affected by getting old yet, but give it 2-3 more years and we'll see how well Slims stand the test of time.

Overheating is the other main reason, but if you keep your unit well ventilated that shouldn't be a problem. If you live in extreme temperatures then sometimes very cold weather can cause your CPUs thermal paste to crack leading to more a shorter life due to being susceptible to overheating sooner than someone who lives in normal temperatures.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just suffered this a month ago. :( I had to wrap my PS3 in a towel, blow hot air into the vents for 15 minutes using a hair dryer, use a fan to cool it for 20 minutes, and that got it to turn on so I could get my disc out, back up all of my non-locked saves, and deactivate my system.

Good luck my friend.

RurouniZel said:
Just suffered this a month ago. :( I had to wrap my PS3 in a towel, blow hot air into the vents for 15 minutes using a hair dryer, use a fan to cool it for 20 minutes, and that got it to turn on so I could get my disc out, back up all of my non-locked saves, and deactivate my system.

Good luck my friend.

+1 for the hair dryer.

quoting myself from your thread:
(I didn't use a towel but the principle in these methods is always the same anyway)
I resurrected two ylod PS3s with these steps (quick/dirty/lazy):

- Unplug PS3, place it horizontally in another room (plastic smell later on)
- Point a hairdryer (probably relatively powerful) at one of the two (60gb PS3) ventilation openings in the back. Keep it at distance of a few cm/inches.
- let it blow hot air into the PS3 for 5-10 min at max hairdryer setting. Then repeat with the other opening.
- don't move it and let it cool off completely (might take a while, over an hour. e.g. open a window)
- Connect PS3, try if it boots again.
- get out any disc, deactivate the PSN account(s), manually copy your savegames, sync Trophies. Don't try to play games. Install newest firmware (for PSN) only if it is stable for at least 20 minutes.
- If the PS3 ylods again during these steps. Repeat the hairdryer stuff to get it working again.
- Extend the time (to unlimited even, while in XMB) by cooling the PS3 while it's on by pointing a relatively strong fan directly at the ventilation openings in the front.
- If the PS3 can stay in the XMB for a few hours w/o a shutdown, you can even do a backup (I did it with my PS3) or better, a complete transfer (We did it with my buddy's PS3) if you already have your new PS3 console around.

After that, you can still try to do a proper reflow by disassembling the PS3 or send it to a repair shop/Sony etc.

Edeuinu

When I YLOD I just tapped the eject button a bunch when I turned it on and eventually my disc came out, just took a few tries.

XiaNaphryz said:

Gah... my memory's a bit sketchy on this, but I did do I restore on a different PS3. I just checked my new PS3- I have almost all my old saves but not my protected Heavy Rain save.

So yeah, it works, but not well - it'll recreate your user IDs and transfer your non-protected saves, but that's all. Best to go with the data transfer method.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sorry to hear that Jett.
My phat PS3 died after a year or so, the motherboard reflow fix gave me 2 extra months til it died fo real.
RIP

Top Bottom