• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 HDD is user upgradable.

VPhys

Sorry if a repost.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4911

Sony is making things a bit easier for gamers with its PlayStation 3. Sony encourages its customers to upgrade their hard drives and even gives them instructions on how to do so in the PS3 user manual. The HDD used in the PS3 is a standard 2.5" SATA unit, so just about any drive should work should you crave more storage space.

Sony has a serious leg up on Microsoft in this aspect of the PS3's design. A quick trip over to NewEgg shows that a 120GB Toshiba drive will set you back $100 while a spacious 160GB Hitachi drive will cost you $165. A second 20GB Xbox 360 hard drive will cost you $100 and the rumored 80GB drive would more than likely top the $200 mark

I can't believe they actually include directions! This is fantastic news and is completely not like Sony which ususally loves proprietary parts.

Nykad

in before the all the "old!!!! omg" posts...

and the only reason they're doing it is to play off of everyones dislike of the $100 20g xbox 360 hd.

Zaptruder

Banned
Avutta1978 said:
i bet you warrantyis void if you use non sony HDD

Oh shut the FUD up you jack ass. That is if you're not joking. And if you are, it's damningly similar to all the other FUD spreading tards around.

Infact, this thing is compatible with 3.5" HDD... of course it doesn't fit inside the PS3, but the connectors are standard PC sata connectors, so you'd just have to extend the lead and have it hanging out...

THAT would void the warranty though I'd think.

Raistlin

Avutta1978 said:

That would be hard to justify since Sony doesn't make their own HDD's to my knowledge ...

... and specifically stated they do not plan on selling ones for the PS3.

Raistlin

Propagandhim said:
So..wow. Why should someone pay 600 dollars now? Memory card slots? This is awesome.

Built-in WiFi.

While everyone assumes Sony will bring out a separate WiFi adapter, we have no idea when that will happen.

Avutta1978 said:

It does NOT void your warranty. If your PS3 breaks during the warranty period with a bigger HDD installed you simply need to reinstall the factory original and then get it fixed.

Zaptruder said:
Oh shut the FUD up you jack ass. That is if you're not joking. And if you are, it's damningly similar to all the other FUD spreading tards around.
LAFFO. Were you crying when you posted this?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Propagandhim said:
So..wow. Why should someone pay 600 dollars now? Memory card slots? This is awesome.

Memory card slots, built in wifi and chrome baby! SUCK IT DOWN!

S. L.

Propagandhim said:
would you rather drink cheap or fine brandy?

oh and
ps3hdd.jpg

Brannon

Great news. Maybe Microsoft will release a dongle that will allow a larger HD to be attached to the 360 HD area.

Yeah I laughed too :p

Draft

I think that is seriously one of the coolest, smartest things about PS3. MS really dropped the ball in terms of HDD and storage, but Sony stepped up in a big way.

Diablos

I still can't understand why MS dropped the idea of using a hard drive. I think the use of a hard drive -- not only for media, but also (and perhaps most importantly) as a cache and for saves -- in the original Xbox is one of the most forward-thinking things to ever be introduced in the console world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wifi is the only thing apart from HDD storage. And HDDs are expensive so don't discount that - to get a 60GB separately will cost you almost the difference between the two skus. So only worth getting the core pack if you're thinking of a 100GB upgrade.

I'm curious about the wifi though. They still aren't clear about how the remote play works, and whether you can do it with a core PS3 attached to a wireless capable network (ie one your PSP can connect to). I guess we'll have to wait until PSP firmware 3.0 is out and core owners try it out?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Diablos said:
I still can't understand why MS dropped the idea of using a hard drive. I think the use of a hard drive -- not only for media, but also (and perhaps most importantly) as a cache and for saves -- in the original Xbox is one of the most forward-thinking things to ever be introduced in the console world.

Maybe a bigger HDD (i.e. 100 GBs+) will hurt their OS platform and piss off OEM computer companies?

Raistlin

Diablos said:

MS 'over-delivered' with the X-box in order to get a foot-hold in the gaming world.

With that however, they took a beating financially.

They hope to make money this gen, so unfortunately some things had to give.

Draft said:
I think that is seriously one of the coolest, smartest things about PS3. MS really dropped the ball in terms of HDD and storage, but Sony stepped up in a big way.

No, it's one of the absolute DUMBEST things they could of done. The damn thing has ALREADY been cracked and the flood gates are WIDE open to piracy. Some are saying it's easier that the damn Dreamcast to pirate.

Sony screwed themselves by trying to please too many different people at once.

Elios83

Diablos said:

Because it's the first time they're first on the market and they were scared of launching a console at more than 299$ since that was the magic price set by Sony in the two previous generations.So they wanted to have a 299$ option without losing more money than they currently are.
If they had launched after Sony revealed the PS3 launch price probably we wouldn't have a 299$ (without hard disk) Xbox360 model right now but a single 399$ SKU.

teiresias said:
Ummm, HDMI is on both models - as has been known for a while.
For some reason I thought HDMI was only on the core model in Japan.
If that's the case, then core model for me! I can just buy some cheapassed wi-fi dongle for less than $100, and I think that silver coating drive thing is ugly.

Now let's ask the question: Say if I have a Apple Widescreen Display, can I use the HDMI to DVI converter deal to view my PS3?

NinSoX

Banned
MoxManiac said:
No wi/fi in the 500 model right? that's pretty big right there

Not a big deal IMO if you weren't planning to play games online. Wireless gaming is still too inefficient. But I can see why you would be disappointed if u wanted to just download from the marketplace.

Top Bottom