• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazuka

RavenFox said:
Can someone clean this up for us? I would like to use this for my cover. Much appreciated if possible.
I'm very slowly working on that. But perhaps someone will beat me too it, or I might not finish... I'm not sure about it right now, since its a lot of work.

HUELEN10 said:
Is anyone doing VC? I'll take a stab, but only if it hasn't been done.
I've actually been working on that. I was thinking about posting it in a while.
So if you want to wait and se how it turned out be my guest. =)

EDIT: And... There! The cover to VC done.
Hope people will enjoy it.

RavenFox said:
Can someone clean this up for us? I would like to use this for my cover. Much appreciated if possible.

I ended up just doing it real quick so there are some places that are kinda sloppy, but this is what I came up with:

image-583D_4B7B770B.jpg

Lazarevic ended up looking a little weird since there was a giant logo over most of his body, so I was just making stuff up as I went.
I'll probably end up cleaning it up and putting the ESRB logos and stuff on it later to make it a full cover.

EDIT: Fixed up a few areas that looked bad.

Here's an idea for making back covers less squashed - try getting rid of unnecessary copyright info, and also scale down bar-code, ESRB and warning logos. Sacrifice this crap at the bottom to keep the good stuff at the top!

The Cover Project and VG boxart already have a ton of nice ones you can print out with the new logo and cover style.

I started trying to track down these covers a few months ago but it got annoying everytime I bought a game with the old style I'd have to print out a new cover. Plus unless you have a really great printer the printed out covers just don't look as good on your shelf. I ended up just sticking with the old style and dealing with it, sigh...sony...

wud

Neo Member
alr1ghtstart said:
here's a photoshop template i put together with multiple selectable layers for easy customization.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/do2tlmwdh5f/ps3templates.rar

mgs4 cover in the mg saga style

you can also find transparent vectored logos here if you want to add esrb logos/etc: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

Really want to get my photoshop skills on and contribute here, is that template the correct pixel dimensions for printing?

Are people actually using the templates posted here? because they are faaaar too small if you want high quality print outs

Where do you guys print these? And on what kind of paper? I got one of those basic all in one inkjet lexmark printers; would that be good enough? I'm wondering if I could just get them printed at Costco or Walmart too. Prints are dirt cheap there.

RavenFox

Banned
Veritigo_X said:
I ended up just doing it real quick so there are some places that are kinda sloppy, but this is what I came up with:

[IM]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/Veritigo_X/uncharted2-1.jpg[/IMG]

Lazarevic ended up looking a little weird since there was a giant logo over most of his body, so I was just making stuff up as I went.
I'll probably end up cleaning it up and putting the ESRB logos and stuff on it later to make it a full cover.

EDIT: Fixed up a few areas that looked bad.
Cool. Thanks Vertigo.

Chemo

I don't have the skill to do this, but if someone did Demon's Souls, I would totally print it out, and even say thank you.

criesofthepast said:
Where do you guys print these? And on what kind of paper? I got one of those basic all in one inkjet lexmark printers; would that be good enough? I'm wondering if I could just get them printed at Costco or Walmart too. Prints are dirt cheap there.
I posted this earlier:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322565-322565-28562-18832-18844.html

This paper is by far the best to use. It looks pretty good once you print it out.

Chemo said:
I don't have the skill to do this, but if someone did Demon's Souls, I would totally print it out, and even say thank you.
I'll get on that here soon.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is done. I decided to go with the limited edition artwork since I thought it looked better than the zoom in on Snake's face.

Click for full size

Oh, and it looks like Sony is using new icons for the back cover so I'll start using those from now on.

Yazuka

Veritigo_X said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 is done. I decided to go with the limited edition artwork since I thought it looked better than the zoom in on Snake's face.

That's really great work man. Could I perhaps ask you a tiny favor? Could you make a new cover for Tales of Vesperia? I would really appriciate that.
I understand if you don't want to, I've tried myself, but I'm finding it to be a bit hard. ^^;

noah111

Still Alive
H_Prestige said:
Is there anything out there for Killzone 2?
That's what i'm waiting for too, I have about 4 or 5 of these custom covers ready to be printed out, but i'd like a KZ2 one really bad.

Veritigo_X said:

Veritigo_X said:

That is some of the sexiest shit ever. Kudos, man. And to the rest of you guys.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Veritigo_X said:

Oh, and it looks like Sony is using new icons for the back cover so I'll start using those from now on.

I LOVE YOU!!!

I love everyone in this thread.

I need a hug.

Yazuka said:
That's really great work man. Could I perhaps ask you a tiny favor? Could you make a new cover for Tales of Vesperia? I would really appriciate that.
I understand if you don't want to, I've tried myself, but I'm finding it to be a bit hard. ^^;

As in the Japanese version? I'll see what I can do with that. It might have to have a different cover since the PS3 cover looks tough to squeeze into the new layout without some major edits. I'm thinking the 360 Japanese cover since it looks better than the US one in my opinion.

Sentry said:
Could you make one with the normal icons on the back, ie without the grey rectangle? Like all the other ones in this thread, basically. These are all soo good though. :D

I figured I'd just stick to the most up to date template since the new games coming out would be using them, like Heavy Rain, God of War III, or White Knight Chronicles. The new icons take up less space as well, meaning more of the original cover can be used.

UraMallas

Where do I find paper with the consistency of the original paper found on the game boxes? Sorry if this has been answered. And now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if I could print on paper with that consistency...

noah111

Still Alive
Veritigo_X said:
I figured I'd just stick to the most up to date template since the new games coming out would be using them, like Heavy Rain, God of War III, or White Knight Chronicles. The new icons take up less space as well, meaning more of the original cover can be used.
Oh wow, I had no idea. Sorry, didn't realize what you meant before. I like the look of the older ones better but oh well, more changes to get used to I guess! :p

Yazuka

Veritigo_X said:
As in the Japanese version? I'll see what I can do with that. It might have to have a different cover since the PS3 cover looks tough to squeeze into the new layout without some major edits. I'm thinking the 360 Japanese cover since it looks better than the US one in my opinion.
Yes, exactly the Japanese version. I'm currently trying to fix the Japanese cover myself, but its very time consuming and hard.
As you said the cover doesn't looks good squeezed. So I'm trying to edit it right now. I haven't started for real yet, but here's the size I'm gonna work with.
Not sure how this will turn out, but I'll give it a try.

But if you would like to do the backside and such I would greatly appreciate it.

UraMallas said:
Where do I find paper with the consistency of the original paper found on the game boxes? Sorry if this has been answered. And now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if I could print on paper with that consistency...
I would also like to know this. Also, what kind of printer would I have to have in order to print these from home? How much dpi quality or whatever would it need to have?

Yazuka said:
Yes, exactly the Japanese version. I'm currently trying to fix the Japanese cover myself, but its very time consuming and hard.
As you said the cover doesn't looks good squeezed. So I'm trying to edit it right now. I haven't started for real yet, but here's the size I'm gonna work with.
Not sure how this will turn out, but I'll give it a try.

But if you would like to do the backside and such I would greatly appreciate it.

Heh, I ended up just sorta making my own front cover based off the 360 version. I didn't feel it was necessary to completely redo the backside since the Japanese covers don't have the banner at the top, so it was just a copy/paste there.

Anywho, here's what I came up with:

I just threw the front together real quick, so if you come up with something better, by all means use it!

Yazuka

Veritigo_X said:
Heh, I ended up just sorta making my own front cover based off the 360 version. I didn't feel it was necessary to completely redo the backside since the Japanese covers don't have the banner at the top, so it was just a copy/paste there.

Anywho, here's what I came up with:
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/Veritigo_X/talesofvesperia.png[/url]

I just threw the front together real quick, so if you come up with something better, by all means use it!

Oh, I thought the Japanese covers had the banner top, of the back also. God to know.
Thank you very much. You don't happen to know, that the font is called that is used for the spine in English covers? I want to make a variation of the Japanese cover, with English text on the spine instead of Japanese text. Thanks a bunch. =)
As soon as I have something to show (if I continue to work on the original PS3 front cover) I'll post it. =)

Shurs

I should be doing hw said:
I would also like to know this. Also, what kind of printer would I have to have in order to print these from home? How much dpi quality or whatever would it need to have?

If you have a FedEx Office or The UPS Store in your area, color copies are like $0.45 each. That might be your best bet.

Shurs said:
If you have a FedEx Office or The UPS Store in your area, color copies are like $0.45 each. That might be your best bet.
Aus :( Although there is a printing place in town, but they are shitty and usually resize stuff because they are lazy.
I'd prefer to do it at home, and I need a new printer anyway.

Finished up Folklore. So far I have a bunch of others that I'm about 50% done with, I just need to find time to finish them.

Yazuka said:
Oh, I thought the Japanese covers had the banner top, of the back also. God to know.
Thank you very much. You don't happen to know, that the font is called that is used for the spine in English covers? I want to make a variation of the Japanese cover, with English text on the spine instead of Japanese text. Thanks a bunch. =)
As soon as I have something to show (if I continue to work on the original PS3 front cover) I'll post it. =)

English covers usually just have the game logo on the spine, so there's no specific font. Here's a logo for Tales of Vesperia that you could use for the spine.

I should be doing hw said:
Aus :( Although there is a printing place in town, but they are shitty and usually resize stuff because they are lazy.
I'd prefer to do it at home, and I need a new printer anyway.

A couple posts up I posted a link to the paper I use. I just print them out using my fairly cheap HP printer and they come out pretty well. Hope that helps.

noah111

Still Alive
Veritigo_X said:
Finished up Folklore. So far I have a bunch of others that I'm about 50% done with, I just need to find time to finish them.
Awesome, look forward to them. So far I have about 9 redesigned boxarts, with several coming from other sources (thus not having new icons on the back).

Can't wait to print these out, i'll probably end up slipping them on top of the current covers in order to maintain the artwork on the inside, rather than having plain white..

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Trying to print these on my low end HP printer and it gets cut off just a bit :(
Im guessing there is no way to trick the printer into printing it in the full page? Guess Ill try to find a printing shop somewhere near or see if my Dad's printer will work

magus

Corran Horn said:
Trying to print these on my low end HP printer and it gets cut off just a bit :(
Im guessing there is no way to trick the printer into printing it in the full page? Guess Ill try to find a printing shop somewhere near or see if my Dad's printer will work

landscape?

Unreal Tournament III is done.

I couldn't really find I high quality scan of the back cover, so I had to make do with what I scanned myself. Anyway, enjoy!

Yazuka

And I'm done with my own version of the Tales of Vesperia cover. I kinda cheaped out on the front cover, but it still turned out good. Not much editing, mostly just some clean up.
Same with the spine, mostly some cleanup done, to not make it look that its scanned from the beginning.

And then I made this little variation of the cover, with the English name on the spine. Just like the European PS3 spines.

Ah damn. Looks like my Photobucket bandwidth ran out. I'll have to use the really tiny thumbnails from now on since I'm too cheap to pay for pro, haha. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom