• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffyside

Banned
I wonder if it's too late for one of the talented posters here to make a Resistance 3 cover that Sony will be smart enough to replace the official one.

There's a lot of Olly Moss' stuff that I enjoy, but it is so one-note, and that thing does not belong on a game cover.

Canova said:
I have done 3 times on 2 different shops, kinkos and grand and toys in Toronto. Both stores didn't ask too much, they seem to know what they're doing
You didn't bring in a PS3 game paper so they know what size to print it?

I'm gonna go to another staples and try this. Hopfully they don't tell me to buy a case of paper again.

Is everyone using glossy paper or matte? It seems glossy is the better material.

Canova

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:
You didn't bring in a PS3 game paper so they know what size to print it?

I'm gonna go to another staples and try this. Hopfully they don't tell me to buy a case of paper again.

Is everyone using glossy paper or matte? It seems glossy is the better material.

I think all the files have been sized accordingly, the staff didn't have to adjust the size. They use Photoshop

Back to begging, why won't anyone do X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I'm tired of seeing Hugh Jackman's face in the cover

RedSwirl

silentcapybara said:
Any chance of some redesigned Heavy Rain/Battlefield Bad Company 2/Grand Theft Auto 4 Call of Duty (any) love?
Back towards the early pages is the best Heavy Rain cover art I can imagine.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

blazblue-calamitytrigg0prv.png

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=wd1f96631dtt3xn&thumb=5

blazblue-calamitytriggtonh.png

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=5y435b82km9fm49&thumb=5

Girsej

Wow, how could I have missed this awesome thread!

Dwonloaded lots of covers but two of them, Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza 3, have this weird blueish glow/tint around the upper text for Playstation and Playstation Network. Is it the same for everyone else too? Is there any way to fix it?

What program do you guys use to print these out?

Great work all of these are really great.

EDIT:

Has anyone done Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, or Dead or Alive Dimensions yet?

The Real Napsta said:
What program do you guys use to print these out?

Great work all of these are really great.

EDIT:

Has anyone done Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, or Dead or Alive Dimensions yet?
Also, what kind of paper should I use? Glossy ones? What about the measures? I'm downloading several images, you guys rock a lot!

RedSwirl

The OP should probably get back in here and update with info on how to print.

Basically, just take the files down to FedEx Kinkos or Office Depot or wherever.

If you have no choice but to print from home, use glossy paper. I forget what size but I don't think letter size is big enough. There was a guide at The Cover Prokect forums but that place seems to be down for me right now.

Testing one possibility:

Yes/No?

Also considering sliding down and taking the R* logo and moving to the spine -- or removing completely. Open to suggestion here.

I have the png for it ready to upload if people like it.
I also have 1 or 2 more images I was considering for the artwork.

I need a high-res bit of minimalistic artwork from MGS4 that would work well against a white background, but Google image search is failing me hard.

edit: nevermind :)

Himself said:
The work in this thread pretty much puts the official covers to shame.

God yes. I don't understand the need for all the logos, boarders, and quotes all over the boxart, not to mention the actual art usually being ridiculously bad, even when the game has great art. At least make that stuff a sleeve that can be removed after purchase. The minimalist style even makes the hideous Xbox green look good. The covers would pop so much more on the shelves as well.

vicissitudes said:
I actually want to do the opposite.

*ponders getting EU Uncharted 2*

im sorry for being off topic but man, everytime I see your avatar I immediatley say to myself:

"I know you can read my thoughts boy. Meowmeowmeowmeow Meowmeowmeowmeow Meowmeow Meowmeow Meowmeow Meowmeow."

Thanks for doing a clean version of that alr1ght.

Nice blazblue viper... BBCS2 is on my list to do. I just got sidetracked because someone asked for GTA4 and I know I want that eventually too. :D

RedSwirl

Net_Wrecker said:
God yes. I don't understand the need for all the logos, boarders, and quotes all over the boxart, not to mention the actual art usually being ridiculously bad, even when the game has great art. At least make that stuff a sleeve that can be removed after purchase. The minimalist style even makes the hideous Xbox green look good. The covers would pop so much more on the shelves as well.

Well a lot of that crap is just legal. The rest us just what suits think will sell the game. But yes I agree about the hideous art. I think it's borne out of some subconscious need to mirror action movie box arts ever since the PS1 era made it possible for games to be kinda like movies.

Problem is, movie covers are meant to accentuate actors. Game cover should accentuate situations, which I think they did very well back in the day. I still miss 16-bit era hand-painted game covers. They still mostly do that in Japan but not over here, where it's all generic CG art.

Anyway, Bayonetta.

If my electricity survives hurricane Irene I'll see about doing a few more over the weekend.

I have an MGS4 cover that isn't quite finished but I have to admit, I don't know what else to do with it. So I'll just post it and if you guys like it and think it COULD make for a good cover, by all means mess with it and see what you can do with it.

I'll just upload the direct Photoshop files, one has the black bars at the top, one is the more popular minimalistic one.

Without bars:
http://www.mediafire.com/?48211tpukf1eztp

And with:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5uleyy7ktfh5gag

Yeah, the artwork isn't super duper clean but it was the best I could find. Hopefully it would still look good after being printed.

Niks

Mithos said:
Yeah sure, I made one a while back just never put it up here. So here it is now.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - ver.1

Metal Gear Solid 4 - ver.2

Wow that is badass.

Great job everyone, all these covers are amazing.

KingK

Wow, these covers are amazing. I especially like that Red Dead one! What do you guys do to print these out? I'm assuming you don't just use a home printer?

RedSwirl

brandonh83 said:
I have an MGS4 cover that isn't quite finished but I have to admit, I don't know what else to do with it. So I'll just post it and if you guys like it and think it COULD make for a good cover, by all means mess with it and see what you can do with it.

I'll just upload the direct Photoshop files, one has the black bars at the top, one is the more popular minimalistic one.

Without bars:
http://www.mediafire.com/?48211tpukf1eztp

And with:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5uleyy7ktfh5gag

Yeah, the artwork isn't super duper clean but it was the best I could find. Hopefully it would still look good after being printed.

Daaaaaaaaayum!

Anyway, if you want I can PM you a rar of the entire MGS4 artbook so you have more to choose from, as well as the Kojima Productions logo I used for the HD collection box.

RedSwirl said:
Daaaaaaaaayum!

Anyway, if you want I can PM you a rar of the entire MGS4 artbook so you have more to choose from, as well as the Kojima Productions logo I used for the HD collection box.
Can I get in on that too?

Duffyside

Banned
Not just happy with the covers, but that clearly there are people who didn't just stupidly dismiss Bioshock 2 and appreciate its... goodness...

duffyside said:
Not just happy with the covers, but that clearly there are people who didn't just stupidly dismiss Bioshock 2 and appreciate its... goodness...

It's a great game. I don't think it carries the poignancy or freshness of the original but it has its own ideas and fantastic gameplay to boot.

Duffyside

Banned
brandonh83 said:
It's a great game. I don't think it carries the poignancy or freshness of the original but it has its own ideas and fantastic gameplay to boot.
Yep, poignant is the right word. The first was more fresh, but fuck if 2 isn't more fun to actually play.

The reactionary dismissal of the multiplayer is the real travesty; surprisingly fun. I had a great time with it.

jk-mox

Neo Member
Can i throw in a request for Okamiden? I gave it to my girlfriend when she was in the hospital, but the case got left behind apparently :\

Amazing work in here! I'm printing a bunch of these tomorrow. After printing, I'll have only three titles left with the ugly red PS3 spine:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Disgaea 3
Cross Edge

Anyone want to tackle these? Also, a God of War Collection one would be nice as I hate the current cover art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom