• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 scratch removal...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, so I was just cleaning around my TV and whatnot and went to clean my PS3 and I noticed that there was some minor scratching on the front that wasn't there before... likely from my mom touching it... but it's noticeable and it's really irritating me... so has anyone had any luck with any sort of scratch removal solutions for it? I hate Sony for making the thing so damn glossy. :/

Fizzle

Eh? I sometimes accidentally leave my disc's on the floor due to whatever, they never scratch, unlike DVD's. Killed half my PS2 collection that way. Thank god for Blu.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Valkyr Junkie said:
Plastic polish from any auto parts store

I've seen people recommend car polish, namely this: http://www.quixxusa.com/solution but I'm curious how abrasive it is.

Fizzle said:
Eh? I sometimes accidentally leave my disc's on the floor due to whatever, they never scratch, unlike DVD's. Killed half my PS2 collection that way. Thank god for Blu.

I'm talking about the actual console.

I have a lot of light scratching on my PS3 and I don't know how it got there.

Devastated. I'm tempted to try the toothpaste one, but I don't wanna risk making it worse.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I have a lot of light scratching on my PS3 and I don't know how it got there.

Devastated. I'm tempted to try the toothpaste one, but I don't wanna risk making it worse.

Don't do the toothpaste thing.

Totobeni said:
use IPod scratch remover , iCleaner ..ect , work like a charm on my PS3

How is it with microscratches?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah scratches suck and all, but i dont know if i'd ever actually try and find a solution to make them not be there anymore. to me, as long as there's not a huge gash in it and the thing works, i'm fine with it.

but i'd probably go with one of those ipod scratch removal thingies.

Kagari said:
Don't do the toothpaste thing.

What's worse is, it's a 60GB, it's a collector's item, I want it in pristine condition.

Goddamit.

I've put an 80GB PS3 on my bridal registry, so if someone buys me one as a wedding present, I'm going to pack away my precious 60GB.

Diablos

Glossy stuff always tends to get scratched no matter what. It will likely continue to happen to your PS3. Any little thing will scratch it. My Samsung LCD has a glossy exterior as well, and it already has a bunch of scratches on the base and stuff from being moved, cleaned, etc. I've been pretty careful with it too. The high gloss stuff kind of sucks for this very reason. My PS3 also has a couple small marks from cleaning and whatnot. It just happens with that kind of exterior. Plastic polish is probably your best bet, but you always risk it being too strong for something that's designed to be more of a household item, not for the road or heavy industrial use, etc.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
'Brasso liquid metal polish' might do the trick, I know it's metal polish but it does wonders on taking out scratches on the plastic on the glossy ipod so it may work well on the PS3. I've personally used it with success to polish out scratches on my 3rd gen ipod, psp screens, watch faces, oh, and CD's, brasso is brilliant at fixing scratched CD's.

WTFing

Banned
Kagari said:
Okay, so I was just cleaning around my TV and whatnot and went to clean my PS3 and I noticed that there was some minor scratching on the front that wasn't there before... likely from my mom touching it... but it's noticeable and it's really irritating me... so has anyone had any luck with any sort of scratch removal solutions for it? I hate Sony for making the thing so damn glossy. :/
There's a black or white PS3 skin here: http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/2,232.htm?nbc=&nbt=&ic=0

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
All my glossy electronic things have noticeable scratches on them (PS3, iPhone). I like it, it gives them character, makes them mine. :lol

If I see someone with a phone that is still in perfect condition it's usually time to signal the "oh god this person is annoyingly anal" alarm.

A minor scratch on your PS3 ain't that horrible a thing.

comrade

You'd hate my PS3. It got tipped over when I was moving it and there's a huge gash in the case now. I couldn't care less as the thing still works though.
Crazy about scratches on my car though. Only had it a year and it's been buffed twice and gets waxed once a week!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rez>You said:
All my glossy electronic things have noticeable scratches on them (PS3, iPhone). I like it, it gives them character, makes them mine. :lol

If I see someone with a phone that is still in perfect condition it's usually time to signal the "oh god this person is annoyingly anal" alarm.

A minor scratch on your PS3 ain't that horrible a thing.

Haha, the first thing I did when I got my iPod touch was put it straight into a case so that it wouldn't get damaged :X It's OCD, I can't help it!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Kagari said:

Whenever I see questions like this, I remember the thread about sandpapering the DSlite.

Also, how does your mom touching it cause scratches? Is she that rough?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Galactic Fork said:
Whenever I see questions like this, I remember the thread about sandpapering the DSlite.

Also, how does your mom touching it cause scratches? Is she that rough?

What I assumed happened was she moved it or something when she was cleaning, I don't know for sure, didn't see it happen...

Nizz

Kagari said:
Haha, the first thing I did when I got my iPod touch was put it straight into a case so that it wouldn't get damaged :X It's OCD, I can't help it!
Same here ;( I have a bunch of microscratches on my PS3 as well. I've been wondering how to get them out also. I once saw someone mention Pledge, but I don't think that'll work too well, imo. I may try that i-scratch people have mentioned...

AndyD

aka andydumi
I used some car wax when I got mine. I had some in the garage and not only does it not attract dust now, but it also has an extra scratch layer, so if I scratch it I can rewax/buff it.

Revolver

I was thinking about ordering this skin. I'm not too crazy about the skins at Decalgirl. I've used Scratch X and it does pretty well with microscratches, but you have to be very gentle and careful when removing it. The toothpaste thing doesn't work and you risk making it worse. I mentioned in another thread how my nephew put an ugly scratch on mine and I still haven't found anything that will get it out. I haven't tried ipod polish yet, but I don't know if it will work on my particular problem.

I wish the PS3 wasn't such a scratch magnet. You can just look at it wrong and scratches appear. I believe there's a circle of OCD hell dedicated to the glossy finish on electonics.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The problem with toothpaste nowadays is that a lot of it has the abrasive stuff for whitening, or the gel stuff and you need the old school plain white simple toothpaste for it to work.

Get a $1 tube from the dollar store of the plainest thing if you want to try it.

HokieJoe

Try this stuff:

p91856z647.jpg

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900

Meguiar’s® Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit restores like-new clarity to cloudy, scratched, oxidized and yellowed, uncoated plastic surfaces. Meguiar’s unique PlastX formula works in concert with our unique buffing pad and your drill to safely deliver amazing results in just minutes! No extra steps, complicated solutions or sanding with abrasives that can damage plastic and surrounding paint and trim. This Restoration Kit effectively removes fine scratches, surface contaminants, oxidation, cloudiness and yellowing, leaving plastics brilliantly clear and polished from headlights, brake lights, plastic convertible windows, motorcycle windscreens, helmet face shields, boat windows and more!

Whatever you try, attempt to polish an area that you won't notice FIRST. That way, if it doesn't work, you will not have created more problems than you've solved.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Revolver said:
I wish the PS3 wasn't such a scratch magnet. You can just look at it wrong and scratches appear. I believe there's a circle of OCD hell dedicated to the glossy finish on electonics.
They really should have made the plastic out of whatever the Blu-Ray discs have :/ My ps3 is really scratched up, and it's an original 60GB one too.

Top Bottom