• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 set to retail in UK for GBP 425 ($838 USD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gek54

Senior retail sources have told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will go on sale in the UK for GBP 425, as previously stated by Sony UK boss Ray Maguire.

Link

Edit: damnit, meant to be a post in another topic.

bud

This has been known since may but it's still pretty lol

One retail source said that the higher UK price has not been driven by Sony but by British retailers, who traditionally seek bigger profit margins than their Continental counterparts.

awesome

Alcibiades

it's probably best to wait from an official press release from Sony before assuming what the actualy price will be...

how much is the Wii and XBox 360 though?

bud

Alcibiades said:
it's probably best to wait from an official press release from Sony before assuming what the actualy price will be...

how much is the Wii and XBox 360 though?

360 is 199/299

Chittagong

Gold Member
DenogginizerOS said:
What other consumer electronic devices in the UK retail for GBP 425?

Well this is more of an appliance, but still

Zanussi ZCG7551XN cooker

ZCG7551XN-l.jpg

Free Standing 55cm All Gas Cooker c/w 4 Burner Gas Hob *Please Note This Model Now Has Black Control Knobs* in Stainless Steel.

£419

Which leaves you still room for

Boots Omega Oils 3, 6 and 9

hero.jpg

£5.99

KINGMOKU

Chittagong said:

Zanussi ZCG7551XN cooker

ZCG7551XN-l.jpg

Free Standing 55cm All Gas Cooker c/w 4 Burner Gas Hob *Please Note This Model Now Has Black Control Knobs* in Stainless Steel.

£419

hero.jpg

£5.99
:lol What a wierd, and wonderfull comparison.

the ps3 also doubles as a george foreman grill so I think you could argue you are getting more bang for your buck than the zanussi and the omega 3...though I admit a 360 and a stand alone grill will be cheaper, but then your taking a less compact design

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
kaching said:
Trick Question?

No. A serious one. I don't live in the UK so I am trying to just get a reference on how much a PS3 costs in comparison to another device. In other words, some might not see that as expensive as the $800+ US dollar figure when they see how it compares to other devices.

DenogginizerOS said:
I don't live in the UK so I am trying to just get a reference on how much a PS3 costs in comparison to another device.

The HDDVD and BluRay players I've seen all cost around £500 +

The PS3 costs £125 more than a PS2 did at launch.

An ipod video 80gb costs £260.

Woz

DenogginizerOS said:
No. A serious one. I don't live in the UK so I am trying to just get a reference on how much a PS3 costs in comparison to another device. In other words, some might not see that as expensive as the $800+ US dollar figure when they see how it compares to other devices.

Mac Mini
Apple Store UK: 399£ (786$)
US Store: 599$
Italy Store: 619€ (801$)

UK and Italy prices are VAT included

Edit:

The question is: What can you do with 600$ in US and what can you do with 800£ in UK?
It's the cost of life that matter.

Luckett_X

Banned
I still can't see it going for £425. what is the £25? Its not like the Wii where you can sort of finger the blame at Wii Sports or whatever. It's an odd price.

I see it going for £399 maybe, but still, thats an insane price barrier to everyone on this accursed island watching house prices skyrocket and mortgage's shoot up like a rat up a financial drain pipe.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's $691 minus tax.

Of course, having worked at a game store in the UK in the past and told that there's such a piss poor mark up on hardware that we basically had to push bundles/accessories on consumers, I seriously doubt retailers are getting a $91+ profit margin.

With no 20GB version in sight, this is another case of rip off Britain.

Thankfully im going to HK later this year, and will pick up a PS3.. if its at the right price :p

Luckett_X said:
I see it going for £399 maybe, but still, thats an insane price barrier to everyone on this accursed island watching house prices skyrocket and mortgage's shoot up like a rat up a financial drain pipe.

How old are you?

£400 shouldn't be considered too high if you have either a mortgage, or are considering buying a house. If it is I think you've either got too high a mortgage rate, or not enough money to buy a house.

Google

flipping_heck said:
With no 20GB version in sight, this is another case of rip off Britain.

Stop earning more money than those in other countries?

Stop having a better pension/healthcare/benefits system.

Stop living in England?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Chittagong said:

Zanussi ZCG7551XN cooker

ZCG7551XN-l.jpg

£419

hero.jpg

£5.99

:lol early contender for post of the year.

Google said:
Stop earning more money than those in other countries?

Stop having a better pension/healthcare/benefits system.

Stop living in England?

We want it all.

Do European prices come with tax already added on, or is it like in the US where you're paying $600 + tax for a PS3?

Rocked

travisbickle said:
How old are you?

£400 shouldn't be considered too high if you have either a mortgage, or are considering buying a house. If it is I think you've either got too high a mortgage rate, or not enough money to buy a house.

So only home owners can afford PS3. :lol Brilliant. What a shame for everyone who rents (like me) or is on a lower income. At least in December it could've been a nice Christmas present for rich kids. It's gonna be an uphill struggle in March.

Mrbob

Luckett_X said:
I still can't see it going for £425. what is the £25? Its not like the Wii where you can sort of finger the blame at Wii Sports or whatever. It's an odd price.

My guess is GBP 425 allows Sony to sell the PS3 for a small profit whereas GBP 399 would be a small loss per unit.

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, I have to expect the PS3 in Switzerland for 1100-1200 CHF ? Crazy, absolutely crazy.
1200 Franken are about 740 Euros, right? Doesn't Switzerland have a proper price set yet?
Rocked said:
At least in December it could've been a nice Christmas present for rich kids. It's gonna be an uphill struggle in March.
:lol :lol

herod

£425 is somewhere between what it will cost in three years time and how much it will be on ebay in the first couple of months after release.

8bit

Knows the Score
Haunted_One said:
1200 Franken are about 740 Euros, right? Doesn't Switzerland have a proper price set yet?

:lol :lol

The PS3 site quotes the price in Euros, helpfully enough. That's 966.25 CHF (774.85 USD) for the 60 Gb model at today's price.

Google

Kabouter said:
Tax already added on

Yes, indeed.

And the 'tax' is 17.5%!

Along with the associated costs of selling within the UK, as well as the issues with selling consumer electronics in the English marketplace, I have no clue why those living in England are getting pissed!

Haunted

8bit said:
The PS3 site quotes the price in Euros, helpfully enough. That's 966.25 CHF (774.85 USD) for the 60 Gb model at today's price.
And that's why I was wondering why Mithos Yggdrasil (who's Swiss I think) said that it will cost 1100-1200 CHF.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I already gave the price without tax: $691

What are the issues with selling consumer electronics within the UK?

Google

Mama Smurf said:
I already gave the price without tax: $691

What are the issues with selling consumer electronics within the UK?

There are huge costs associated with selling anything like videogames/music/film/etc that have been slapped on by the Government.

Its like cigarette tax or alcohol tax!

The Government taxes anything - and usually, those costs are passed onto the consumer!

Jeff-DSA

Google said:
Yes, indeed.

And the 'tax' is 17.5%!

Along with the associated costs of selling within the UK, as well as the issues with selling consumer electronics in the English marketplace, I have no clue why those living in England are getting pissed!

You're one of the saddest apologists I've ever seen. Ever.

Luckett_X

Banned
travisbickle said:
How old are you?

I'm nowhere near being able to afford even moving into my own place yet since I just got back from uni with massive debt, but come on now. £400+ for a game console is really insane. I spent about 500 on the PC i now use for high-end animation, and theres very much a barrier at £300 for consoles I feel.

I guess it doesnt matter anyway because I rarely adopt at a system launch since the game selection and teething problems far outweigh the bragging rights and 'launch euphoria'.

But I really think breaking the £400 point is a crushing barrier between the PS3 getting many sales at all, unless it drops promptly like the original Xbox did.

Google

Jeff-DSA said:
You're one of the saddest apologists I've ever seen. Ever.

Eh?

Im English, living in North America...I actually have a take on 'rip-off Britain' and im passing my opinion!

Whats the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom