• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Update v3.70 - PS+ Auto Trophy-syncing and cloud saving

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sony just revealed details of the next PlayStation 3 system software update, v3.70.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/09/ps3-system-software-update-v3-70

Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).

To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.

A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.

Automatic Update

A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.

PlayStation Store Update

Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.

You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.
A folder labeled “My Channels” within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.
Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here. Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

6027024489_5dc76cc708_z.jpg

6026072785_b1e80be54f_z.jpg

6026074251_79b6d39dd2_z.jpg

Degen

If the PS3's browser ever actually gets upgraded, I won't be the least bit surprised when Sony says it's for Plus subscribers only

Kyon

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Lol, it's so sad to see that a feature as this is still gimped and playing catch up to something xbox-live had from the beginning.
Are you really going there though? Really?

I personally don't mind that sync is + only. I wouldn't want it to auto-sync my trophies, as I have my FB linked to my PSN and I don't want to spam my FB to death. I usually wait until I get 5 - 10 trophies to sync.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.

Ohhh boy! Another unwanted and forever unused icon cluttering up my menu!

Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

6.39 -> 6.60 is a heck of a jump! Looks like I won't be going online with PS:p2 again anytime soon since theres still so many screenshots I wanna take of that and .hack//Link >_<;

V_Ben

Banned
Auto online game saves is awesome to see, and the trophy synch thing probably wasn't hard to do if they tacked it on to the automatic update feature. Still, neat.

V_Ben

Banned
ofx360 said:
Tell me why Auto syncing trophies is a paid feature...

Because it isn't being done properly in the sense that people want it to happen in the background as and when they're earnt. Rather, it's being done as the system downloads patches and updates. They've simply bolted it on, and called it an extra perk.

I await Jeff rigby's 2000 word post about how this FW is adding some random web building tool to the ps3 and how some random site says they are working on X game chat so it must be coming soon and that silly thread can continue not being locked.

Grinchy

Banned
The auto-online game saves sound more intriguing to me. I love Steam's cloud saves. I don't really even think about my game saves, because I know they are there in case something goes wrong. For the games I own, at least.

Zafir

I just wish the save cloud was bigger. All my saves don't fit. I have to select manually which saves I want to upload, especially with some of the games having 5mb save files.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Currently I cannot synch my trophies while in XMB... hopefully this update with fix that bug. It's been driving me nuts and Sony has no answers.

This is really bizarre, because today at work I was just thinking about how easy it would be for Sony to allow Trophy sync during an auto-download session for PSN+ subs.

I'm not joking, I think about incredibly random things when sitting on the toilet at work.

Also, lossless audio support for 3D movies will be great if/whenever I get around to getting a 3DTV (which won't be for a long time).

Susurrus

Mine does not auto-update/sync. I don't know why. I have PS+, I set the time to 4AM-6AM. I know there are games that need updates recently played. I know there are trophies that need synced. I know there are saves that need to be backed up. I get nothing. I've had mine on for a LONG time (as in months, though I know the sync/backup is recent).

My system is broken?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Susurrus said:
Mine does not auto-update/sync. I don't know why. I have PS+, I set the time to 4AM-6AM. I know there are games that need updates recently played. I know there are trophies that need synced. I know there are saves that need to be backed up. I get nothing. I've had mine on for a LONG time (as in months, though I know the sync/backup is recent).

My system is broken?

There are some issues with the 3.70 firmware.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/08/17/ps3-firmware-3-70-hits-a-snag/

Top Bottom