• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

You can't kill a god. On the reals, the OP has a lot of concrete info of SONY's movement with improving their online. Things don't happen overnight. It just so happens the OP, caught it real early.

Howard Stringer quote: But he said: “I spent the last five years building a platform so I can compete against Steve Jobs. It’s finished, and it’s launching now.

CES Jan 9th 2012 Sony press conference should generate a bit of news <grin>. It's an ecosystem with Social networking, chat, web browsers, utility apps, games, etc. PS Suite and applications made possible by Webkit and native Gnome libraries.

BradleyUK

The Sony Ericsson Nozomi is rumored to feature a 4.3-inch screen with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels, resulting in the impressive 342ppi pixel density. Under the hood, a 1.5GHz dual-core chip and 1GB of RAM are expected to make Android Ice Cream Sandwich tick on the Nozomi. On the back, a 12MP Exmor R camera underlines its photographic ambitions. Release date is Jan 10th the same day as CES and is rumored to be shown there.

I be looking forward to this phone.

cheers jeff.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone lock this damn thread. When was the last time there was any real browser news? I think it's safe to assume the browser will not be updated until the PS4.

Hanmik

Someone lock this damn thread. When was the last time there was any real browser news? I think it's safe to assume the browser will not be updated until the PS4.

no don´t lock it.. just change the name of the thread.. I suggest.

Jeff Rigby [OT] why good things don´t happen to Sony customers.

DireStr8s

One thing has changed on the PS3 browser recently (unless I scrambled my settings). Up until very recently you would type into Sony's field, hit start, & your text would then be entered on the webpage. Text now appears in realtime on the webpage's field.

Evoga

I think it's a bit too late in the day to bother with an upgrade to the browser, just put the resources into building a better browser on the next playstation

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SONY should hire Jeff Rigby to implement Twitter support on PS3.
Who the hell cares about the Vita?

androvsky, someone...can you explain to the newbies.

PS Suite uses many of the same libraries necessary to support the ALREADY disclosed (DONE) GTKwebkit browser coming to the PS3 but PS Suite was not released EITHER even though those libraries were installed over a year ago on the PS3 (2009), 2011 Sony TVs, Blu-ray players and 2010 Google TV....they haven't been used YET on anything but the PS3.

Speculation is Sony was waiting on Something to be finished. It appears that they were waiting on Gstreamer 1.0 which has API changes from the 2009 version. Now with Gstreamer 1.0 and knowing the API calls Mono can be created for PS Suite platforms. Stringer Saying the Platform is Done most likely refers to the entire 4 screen ecosystem which includes PS Suite, the Vita, Android Phones & Tablets and the PS3 browser, chat, "Live area", Calender and more.

So if the key libraries to support PS Suite are done then they are done for the GTKwebkit port to the PS3. It's coming soon!

I can't say this strongly enough, many of you are putting your foot in your mouth and tasting shoe leather. It's going to taste really bitter soon....read the thread!

Howard Stringer quote: But he said: &#8220;I spent the last five years building a platform so I can compete against Steve Jobs. It&#8217;s finished, and it&#8217;s launching now.

Sony stock prices (They have to release NOW, again CES should be interesting.)

Picture-12.png

Apple Stock prices

Picture-11.png

Apple&#8217;s HDTV To Launch Mid 2012?

apple-TV.jpg

According to a recent report, Apple&#8217;s HDTV will use Sharp display panels, and the news of this possible Apple TV seems to have other TV manufacturers slightly worried, with a number of them looking for an alternative in Google&#8217;s TV.

We recently heard that both LG and Samsung are expected to unveil Google TV connected devices next year, and we could possibly see the first ones from LG in January at CES 2012.

It will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with for the HDTV, and whether they will be able to totally transform the TV industry as they have done with music, the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad.

Sony releasing video and picture editing apps for Android

Xbox360 is releasing it's new UI December 6th.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Why would you lock it? Jeff has information which builds up into a very plausible theory. There's no rule against that.

androvsky, someone...can you explain to the newbies.

PS Suite uses many of the same libraries necessary to support the ALREADY disclosed (DONE) GTKwebkit browser coming to the PS3 but PS Suite was not released EITHER even though those libraries were installed over a year ago on the PS3 (2009), 2011 Sony TVs, Blu-ray players and 2010 Google TV....they haven't been used YET on anything but the PS3.

Speculation is Sony was waiting on Something to be finished. It appears that they were waiting on Gstreamer 1.0 which has API changes from the 2009 version. Now with Gstreamer 1.0 and knowing the API calls Mono can be created for PS Suite platforms. Stringer Saying the Platform is Done most likely refers to the entire 4 screen ecosystem which includes PS Suite, the Vita, Android Phones & Tablets and the PS3 browser, chat, "Live area", Calender and more.

So if the key libraries to support PS Suite are done then they are done for the GTKwebkit port to the PS3. It's coming soon!

I can't say this strongly enough, many of you are putting your foot in your mouth and tasting shoe leather. It's going to taste really bitter soon....read the thread!

Just ignore them Jeff and keep providing info.

Why would you lock it? Jeff has information which builds up into a very plausible theory. There's no rule against that.

Well the rules do say that:

- Gotcha! Bait and Switch. You don't need to trick people. Don't post comedy news as real news, don't post rickrolls, don't post rumours as facts, don't post things you don't believe just because another site posted them, try to find legitimate sources.

;)

Kyoufu

I remember when Jeff started posting his "theories" .. they got splattered all over N4G and other sites as real news... since then he just kept going like the Duracell Bunny..

All for a PS3 web browser. Like Sony even gives a shit about the web browser.. :lol

All for a PS3 web browser. Like Sony even gives a shit about the web browser.. :lol

You do realize that more apps including all the stores Sony has will eventually move to the technology behind the web browser. This is why they are doing this and not because of the browser.

theBishop

Banned

But if you actually attempt to wade into the "content" of Jeff's loony posts, you'll see that it's not just about GTK#WebKitBrowser.web3point0. He also thinks the Gnome desktop (the most common UI for desktop Linux) is going to be ported to PS3.

It's all utterly ridiculous.

zerojay

Neo Member
Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but the current Web browser was provided by Netfront, the same company responsible for the PSP, Dreamcast and Saturn web browsers. If they are going Webkit with this, they are dumping the entire old browser out completely.

onQ123

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but the current Web browser was provided by Netfront, the same company responsible for the PSP, Dreamcast and Saturn web browsers. If they are going Webkit with this, they are dumping the entire old browser out completely.

I never knew the Sega Saturn had a web browser.

19792-500m.jpg

androvsky

Although Netfront offers a webkit based browser, I don't think Sony's going to use it on the PS3 since they've already made their own webkit port, and are using it for apps. There's a decent chance they'll keep the old Netfront browser for games that use it, since it's going to be much easier on memory usage.

Arsenic

Well the rules do say that:

- Gotcha! Bait and Switch. You don't need to trick people. Don't post comedy news as real news, don't post rickrolls, don't post rumours as facts, don't post things you don't believe just because another site posted them, try to find legitimate sources.

Howard Stringer, SONY engineers and the huge amount of info Jeff posted, not create, are not legitimate sources?

I think some of you are put off by this thread because it's unusual that someone would put in so much time and effort into something that had no PR coverage whatsoever.

If you don't like it, ignore it. But Jeff is within his rights to do what he is doing, and I appreciate his efforts.

Evoga

But it's just ramblings, all that's missing is blaming it all on the illuminati holding back the browser for some world domination master plan.

Although Netfront offers a webkit based browser, I don't think Sony's going to use it on the PS3 since they've already made their own webkit port, and are using it for apps. There's a decent chance they'll keep the old Netfront browser for games that use it, since it's going to be much easier on memory usage.

http://webkit.sed.hu/node/15

Webkit memory useage is about 24 megs.

Netfront's NX webkit browser requires:
[Memory Requirements]
ROM: 12MB (Browser engine only)
RAM: Less than 25MB (Depending on web content)
Depending on web content and cache. The above amount does not include support libraries which are supposed to be part of the OS. Game side those would have to be added to the overhead.

Anyone know the old Netfront memory useage?

But it's just ramblings, all that's missing is blaming it all on the illuminati holding back the browser for some world domination master plan.

Watch this video on Gstreamer 1.0 It explains what Gstreamer is all about and outlines why 1.0 is needed for embedded platforms. The video is not too technical and easy to follow.

Interesting in that the 2010 Gstreamer slide show mentioned World Domination with 1.0 (First one at this site)

"But it's just ramblings"; If you click on the blue text in my posts you will be taken to other sites that provide the information I use in my posts.

Benjamin1981 said:
You do realize that more apps including all the stores Sony has will eventually move to the technology behind the web browser. This is why they are doing this and not because of the browser.
Benjamin1981 is mostly correct. IF you read the Howard Stringer posts, Sony is losing money on TV Sales and they expect to make this up with content sales (Movies, Music, services) offered in their new Network connected TVs, Blu-ray players, Tablets, Phones, Vita, PS3. The Software platform we see in Sony required Open source disclosures is for the most part eLinux, Webkit and Gnome. GTKwebkit is supported with Gnome technology and that was disclosed by Sony as coming to the PS3. Put it together and it gives a clear picture of what's coming that is NOT rambling!

I'm pleased that some of you are getting it.

What we are getting for the PS3 is driven by Sony plans to make money. I believe the GTKwebkit browser is part of that plan.

Lets look for a second at hardware and software trends to see if we might find an out of the box understanding of what's coming.

Hardware trends= OLED (less expensive and sharper displays) + 4K resolution + sub 28nm die sizes

Software trends= Webkit + Gnome for Sony = Cross platform PS Suite or true cross platform which is driving Windows 8 and Microsoft. Linux is becoming ever more a standard and open source software like Libre Office which provides features similar to Microsoft office is using recognized cross platform (Cairo) rendering libraries.

Result is what? Ecosystems, cheaper and faster CE platforms, Cross platform software

We all read about this in 2008 but 2010 implementations are falling on their asses as they are clumsy and too slow but those were 45nm and not 4K resolution. Only in the last 30 days have we seen the promised ecosystem standards like DLNA with direct WiFi. I find it interesting that RVU was proposed in 2009, Sony released firmware 3.0 in 2009 and already envisioned (Androvsky cite) was a need for DTCP-IP which is needed by RVU and was in the PS3 with Firmware 3.21 5 months later. Yet RVU version 2.0 has been proposed and only Direct TV and Samsung have implemented it this October 2011 (Xbox and a cable company implemented something similar last year). RVU 1.0 was an extension to DLNA with DTCP-IP copy protection with a picture based menu UI and RVU 2.0 uses webkit to render a screen UI.

We should remember what we read in 2008 and understand that this is not an overnight process. This article gives some perspective on time:

Sony Announces Glasses-Free 3DTVs Coming by 2015

Many manufacturers believe that the ultimate goal of 3D technology with HDTVs is to create displays that do not require 3D glasses in order for viewers to see 3D content. According to Sony&#8217;s Gulf managing director, Osamu Miura, the company plans to release their first glasses-free 3DTV within the next 3-4 years. &#8220;Research is progressing on glasses-free 3D TVs that offer better picture quality, OLED TVs that provide brighter, crisper picture while consuming less power, and 4K technology consumer products which deliver four times the resolution of High Definition (HD),&#8221; he explained. &#8220;We already have the technology for glasses-free 3D TVs and a competitor has launched a product. The technology is being used in our 3D handycam, but it is a very small LCD, if you want to enjoy it on a big screen, it takes time. The current technology cannot satisfy the demand of people, so we are developing it further.&#8221;
So 5 years to 4K OLED in mass production with glasses free 3-D. But Samsung and LG are going to produce OLED 55 inch TVs in 2012 with Toshiba producing a glasses free 4K & 3-D TV with cell processor in 2012 also. These are expensive upper end TVs.

Going back to the reasoning that I find true that the market is driven by mass producing a bottom end featureless TV which sells for a reasonable price. Using a PS3 or PS4 game console to add-on features to the bottom end TV I find a reasonable solution till these features become a standard in bottom end TVs. What's needed, RVU or Allvid and a TV that can be controlled from a PS3 with CEC and it's coming.

What's missing in a PS3 that might be useful, more memory and a faster USB port to support 720P cameras and a casual control interface like Kinect. If you look at and read the W3C (webkit) and TV workshop and understand the above then perhaps I have a handle on what Sony and Microsoft are doing with the Playstation and Xbox game platforms. There are rumors that Sony may use the Kinect technology in Sony TVs but perhaps it's to be used in the PS4 and then both Xbox and Playstation will have a casual control interface to work with TVs.

Internet TV to explode in 2012

Howard Stringer quote: But he said: &#8220;I spent the last five years building a platform so I can compete against Steve Jobs. It&#8217;s finished, and it&#8217;s launching now.

Sony stock prices (They have to release NOW, again CES should be interesting.)

Picture-12.png

Apple Stock prices

Picture-11.png

Sony's 4-Step Plan To Destroy Apple How Far along are they?

Step 1: Mimic Apple

First, Sony needs to create a distribution platform similar to Apple&#8217;s. DONE
Next, Sony should rethink its user interface and software platforms. DONE
Then, Sony should develop more first-party applications for their platforms IN PROGRESS
Finally, Sony needs to create new kick-ass hardware. We may see this at CES 2012

Step 2: Consolidate

The second step is to consolidate Sony&#8217;s current products and platforms. If Sony reduces its efforts to producing only a handful &#8212; here is the &#8220;less is more&#8221; argument &#8212; of smart phones, tablets, and netbooks while combining its content platforms into one unified system, the company would be in a much better position to compete with Apple.

Sony should begin by combining Music Unlimited, Qriosity, PlayStation Store, Reader Store, and any other content platforms that the company has into a unified platform like iTunes (Sony has already combined Music Unlimited and Qriosity, to their credit). Apart from providing developers and content providers a centralized location to deal with and directing consumers to a single platform to make all their purchases from, this would give Sony a single platform from which to base all of their hardware on. This is a very important step, and one that I have also criticized Microsoft about in the past.

After getting content platforms sorted out, Sony could then move on to creating a new breed of devices and products to harness it. They would create a flagship device for every consumer product category out there &#8212; with the most important being the smartphone. If Sony were to create a flagship mobile device that harnesses the power of a unified content platform, it would put Sony in a much better position to compete with Apple. Televisions, notebooks, netbooks, tablets, and e-readers would follow suit.

Step 3: Cripple Apple

The third step might not be as difficult as it would appear. It starts off relatively simple: Sony would withdraw all of its content from the Apple ecosystem. This means that all of Sony&#8217;s artists that are signed to the company&#8217;s labels and all of Sony&#8217;s film and television content would no longer be available for purchase from within Apple&#8217;s iTunes marketplace.

Step 4: Win Developers' Interest

Speaking of developers, this is the last step for Sony to reach the pinnacle of tech stardom. Without the support of third-party developers, all of the actions taken by Sony would not matter, because Apple (or Google, Research In Motion, Microsoft, etc.) would still have the most important piece of the pie &#8212; the creativity and innovation from the outside world.
I see all the above happening except Step #3 unless Apple ticks off Sony by restricting access to the iTunes store. This will not happen until Sony has enough PS Suite apps and an established ecosystem making Sony enough money that the loss of iTunes for Sony media won't hurt (which may not happen unless Sony is wildly successful.)

Kick ass flagship products in each category to harness the power of the ecosystem.

Tablet
Sony has nabbed the first ever Tablets, E-readers and Netbooks CES 2012 Best of Innovations award for its intriguingly designed Sony Tablet S, beating out a host of Samsung slates.
Hailed as one of the Best of Innovations 2012, the Tablet S won out thanks to its ergonomic design and entertainment know-how, including PlayStation certification.
Phone
The Sony Ericsson Nozomi is rumored to feature a 4.3-inch screen with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels, resulting in the impressive 342ppi pixel density. Under the hood, a 1.5GHz dual-core chip and 1GB of RAM are expected to make Android Ice Cream Sandwich tick on the Nozomi. On the back, a 12MP Exmor R camera underlines its photographic ambitions. Release date is Jan 10th the same day as CES and is rumored to be shown there.

Camera New Sony Bloggie Mobile HD Snap camera gets bowed design, FCC inspection
Sony has already delivered its Bloggie cameras with 3D video and even dual screens, and now we've got the first hint at what's next. The MHS-TS55, going through its FCC testing as the Mobile HD Snap camera, carries its own 802.11n connection. We don't know exactly what Sony has in store for this curved mystery cam, but with WiFi on board, wireless sharing or even live video streams wouldn't be out of the question. Sony typically unveils its latest offerings at CES, and this filing chimes well with the chance of us getting the full skinny at January's annual tech binge
Game Console PS3 & PS4 coming Living room presence and display platform for Sony Cameras.

TV 4K Projector? Too expensive....must be something coming at CES.

Sony OLED and Glasses Free 3D TVs In 2015
Managing director of Sony Gulf FZE, Osamu Miura, has confirmed Sony&#8217;s plans to launch OLED, glasses-free 3D and 4K TV ranges &#8216;in the next three to four years&#8217;.

Osamu Miura also suggested that Sony was putting current LCD technology on a back-burner: &#8216;We like to concentrate on the new technology [OLED], rather than on LCD or LED&#8216;&#8212;even if LED screens are just LCD displays with a different kind of backlighting. He then confirmed that: &#8216;In another three or four years, the OLED TV will come to consumers on a massive scale.&#8217;
OLED and 4K OLED's sharper screen is going to change how we use the living room TV; text should be readable at a greater distance. Libre Office is a cross platform open source Microsoft Office work alike which uses Cairo for rendering. Porting Libre Office to a Playstation platform which supports Cairo should be possible.

Applications are coming from Sony, some free across the entire ecosystem.

Sony Job listings

https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-jobs/2011-July/000066.html
http://www.jobcentral.com/jobs/Sony...ineer_Webkit_Specialist_SNEI_SF/020966875/job
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/re...ion-software-developer--contract----sony-dadc
http://www.sonydadcdigital.com/connect/careers/

New PSN design and new Store for all platforms which requires a new browser for the PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's... nice...

But when is the PS3 webbrowser update coming, Jeff? What does your toast say about it?

Jburton

Banned
That's... nice...

But when is the PS3 webbrowser update coming, Jeff? What does your toast say about it?

Lol ....... the thread title should be changed to reflect that all this thread amounts to is one man's conjecture.

There is no news of an upgrade.

That's... nice...

I don't know.....I've done all I can by discovering the UI platform and software tools that are going to be used. Isn't that enough?

It's up to Sony management now. Are applications that are necessary to prime the pump done? Sony will not want a ho-hum launch for PS Suite and the ecosystem. Hardware and Software will have to be in place!

When would you launch the ecosystem? The PS3 is going to be a major part of the ecosystem along with some new Sony TV(s)?

Jburton said:
Lol ....... the thread title should be changed to reflect that all this thread amounts to is one man's conjecture. There is no news of an upgrade.
This is news but from March of this year. Why it hasn't been released yet has been conjecture which I think I have answered.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/11/26/the-tv-is-dead-heres-who-will-rule-this-100-billio.aspx said:
Everyone from Sony to Apple is rushing to create a future generation of televisions that is more an "integrated entertainment center" that leverages software used in other devices and Internet connections. There is a sea change that is going to happen in 2012.
IF you have been looking at TV prices this Black Friday, 60 inch Sharp LCD for $999 is unbelievable.

Watch the video here: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...dead-heres-who-will-rule-this-100-billio.aspx

Comcast launches AnyRoom DVR in select markets; plays nice with set-top boxes

anyroomimage.jpg

It's not clear if this is RVU and allows other set top boxes and DLNA DTCP-IP TVs, Blu-ray players, handhelds etc to work with it. (The PS3 has had DTCP-IP since firmware 3.21 and it was envisioned before firmware 3.0 (androvsky cite)).

Coming to a Home Near You: Multi-Room DVR Services Seems to imply that using existing cable TV wires in your home is the easiest way to implement Anyroom DVR so that limits the current options to Cable company supplied client boxes. Most likely it can be firmware upgraded to support RVU as there is a RJ-45 network port on the Box to connect to your home network.

RVU enables whole-home DVR for DIRECTV

DIRECTV is making it possible for subscribers to enjoy DVR or even HD DVR on all televisions in the home, using the RVU server/client approach to harness thin client IP set-top boxes or connected TVs. Here, Alan Smith, Senior Product Manager at DIRECTV, outlines the benefits of using RVU to deliver whole-home services that ensure not only consistent services in every room but a consistent and familiar user interface. The RVU Alliance is now working on version 2.0 of the standard, which could provide advanced graphics options using webkit.

RVU is finally being implemented, 2012 CE equipment will probably feature support for this at CES.

PS3 Firmware 4.0 is out and it appears that only Vita-PS3 features are implemented according to the update. New browser is not active, no apps.

http://theparanoidgamer.com/ps3-firmware-update-4-0-coming-soon/ said:
A new firmware update is being finalized by Sony and it&#8217;s quite underwhelming.

A new PS3 firmware update is being prepared by Sony that will be a precursor to the PS Vita and pave the way for compatibility between the systems.

&#8220;A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week. In preparation for the launch of PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) in Japan, this update will prepare PlayStation 3 (PS3) to serve as a content management device. It will allow users to copy their digital content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita game games including save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.&#8221;

There&#8217;s also some changes to PS Plus allowing the user more control over the features they want enabled or disabled.

PlayStation Plus members can now choose to enable or disable each automatic update feature
Game patches
System software
Recommended games and videos
Sync trophy information
New PlayStation Network settings for filtering friend requests and messages

As you can see, not the spirited update anyone expected for a base number update. This update is important to get the PlayStation Vita/PS3 integration off the ground so, while we can&#8217;t appreciate much of the changes now, we will in the near future.

Not what anyone expected for 4.0

The Sony disclosure site for Google TV still has the 2009 API incompatible with Gstreamer 1.0 Gstreamer core. Howard Stringer's comment that "it's done" must only apply to developer machines. The 4 screen hardware is done but the ecosystem key to tie them all together has not been implemented yet, without that, it's not done!

androvsky commented that this looks like a Lawyer update, to me too. Disappointing their using the 4.0 version number for this? It doesn't make sense to me! Still the About gives us more clues as to WHAT the PS3 is using and possibly a clue to the Vita OS.

I haven't seen anything yet that uses GTK on the other hand Cairo and Gstreamer yes. Notice no disclosure for Video except a Flash player <grin> so either Sony purchased the rights to a Gstreamer core and player or they are using LOL Air (entirely possible with the AVM+ Core engine of Flash player open sourced by Adobe) . Seriously, the Sony IPTV video unlimited preview app released a few weeks ago links, as androvsky said, to the Nov 2010 webkit javascript engine disclosure which uses Gstreamer for video and CairoGL for rendering. The Sony PS3 Hulu IPTV app is using the same framework in the PS3 that the video unlimited app used in 2009. You have to add up the various Sony PS3 disclosures, one in Japan, one in the US plus whatever Sony purchased the rights to or developed themselves and those don't need to be disclosed.

What does this 4.0 release without the ecosystem features mean? Speculation:

1) Sony is concentrating on a VITA launch and is not going to implement PS3 features other than those supporting the Vita.
2) They could have done this without going to 4.0 but 4.0 is going to create allot of discussion on does the PS3 Firmware update to support the Vita deserve such a bump from 3.73 to 4.0
3) Sony did not want to use the #4 for the ecosystem upgrade as the Japanese pronounce 4 as Shi which also means death. So this is really a 3.8 upgrade getting past the number 4.0.

10) Nothing is coming that we expected. This is least likely, in my opinion not a possible unless Sony is closing off support for the PS3 because the encryption keys are hacked and a PS3.5 is due to be released soon or even more of a stretch a PS4 is being released next year.

Edit: androvsy noticed that the about section System Settings/About contains more open source listings including FreeBSD, NetBSD so I expect the PS3 OS is a custom mix of the two.

See also: http://scei.co.jp/ps3-license/

1. AVM+ Core engine of Flash player open sourced by Adobe
2. eCOS Embedded Configurable Operating System by RedHat which also wrote the OLCP Sugar interface. See below*
3. Expat One of the first stream-oriented XML 1.0 parser libraries
4. Free BSD
5. FreeType2
6. Libjpeg
7. Libtiff
8. Libungif
9. MD4 Message-Digest Algorithm of RSA Data Security, Inc.
10. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm of RSA Data Security, Inc.
11. NetBSD
12. SEE dtoa for IEEE arithmetic (dmg): convert double to ASCII string (Power PC does not have a floating point processor needs accurate rounding)
13. Info-ZIP

On the PS3 webkit disclosure site:
Cairo (disclosed)
WebkitGTK (disclosed version with video enabled (HTML5)) which requires:
Gstreamer (Disclosure required or purchased)
Pango
libsoup
GTK (requires disclosure) Library locations for GTK toolkit are listed. Linux and Unix webkit ports are POSIX ports and several GTK toolkit routines are edited and called ChromeclientPOSIX.
Glib (does not require disclosure}
and more

http://seekingalpha.com/user/805254/comments/symbol/aapl said:
AVM+ The core engine of Flash Player (AVM+) is open source and was donated to the Mozilla Foundation, where it is actively maintained. The file formats supported by Flash Player, SWF and FLV/F4V, as well as the RTMP and AMF protocols are freely available and openly published. Anyone can use the specifications without requiring permission from Adobe. Third parties can and do build audio, video, and data services that compete with those from Adobe.

eCOS in the PS3

Sony, Playstation 3, next generation games console. The Playstation 3 integrates a formidable set of multimedia technologies including Cell multiprocessor, RSX 3D graphics, Blu-Ray disc, hard drive, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and more. eCos is used to provide the Playstation's Wi-Fi support based on the Marvell 88W8580 WLAN chip.

There is going to be allot of speculation on this.

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial...4-0-what-sony-can-learn-from-xbox-live-today/

Atruvius

PS3 Firmware 4.0 is out and it appears that only Vita-PS3 features are implemented according to the update. New browser is not active, no apps.
But the font has been changed! GAF, PS Blog and Wikipedia now have different font than before when using PS3 browser. Haven't tested other sites yet.

StuKen

Not what anyone expected for 4.0

I can just see his little face now, scanning the release notes. WebKit?, WebKit?, Browser? It cant be!? All the signs? No, I missed something, it all pointed to one thing, I cant be wrong, the tea leaves, the chicken entrails, the numbers, the patterns they all fit. Someone's got to them. Sega! Dear god it's them! Dreamcast 2! Twice the number of gstreamer 1.0! gnome 3.0, take gstreamer 1.0 away 2! The very same 2 in dreamcast 2! I cant stop now, I've come so far, so close to the truth, I want to believe.

I can just see his little face now, scanning the release notes. WebKit?, WebKit?, Browser? It cant be!? All the signs? No, I missed something, it all pointed to one thing, I cant be wrong, the tea leaves, the chicken entrails, the numbers, the patterns they all fit. Someone's got to them. Sega! Dear god it's them! Dreamcast 2! Twice the number of gstreamer 1.0! gnome 3.0, take gstreamer 1.0 away 2! The very same 2 in dreamcast 2! I cant stop now, I've come so far, so close to the truth, I want to believe.
Did you expect something more with a jump from 3.73 to 4.0? That's the point, something is off here and it could be superstitious nonsense on the other side of the Pacific not here. The Japanese number 4 sounds like the word for Death and Sony may not want to have that associated with what we assumed would be a pivotal "ecosystem" upgrade that is going to impact the life of Sony.

Going back to Sony statements from Sony Computer Entertainment director of hardware marketing John Koller:

http://www.investorplace.com/2011/10/sony-playstation-vita-apple-iphone-ps-suite/2/ said:
The ability to access the wide variety of applications available on PS Vita and PS3 is a huge incentive for consumers who also have PS Suite-enabled phones or the S1 tablet (Sony&#8217;s recently released iPad competitor),&#8221; Koller said. &#8220;The rigorous certification process ensures quality experiences only possible on PlayStation.&#8221;
Where are the applications??? The current PS3 Video chat program can't communicate with the Vita, if Vita and PS3 are able to play the same games where is the social network sharing????

If you actually read my post, I have gone to great effort to expand on NEW information provided by Sony in the PS3 ABOUT which was brought to our attention by androvsky.

androvsky said:
lol, this really is the lawyer update. Check the About section, there's a bunch more open-source software getting disclosed, stuff that's probably been used since the system launched (like FreeBSD, and parts of NetBSD for communications). Incoming jeff_rigby field day, though I will note there's still nothing about GTK+ or GStreamer. ;)

There appear to be 2 PS3 disclosure sites, one in Japan and one in the US:

Japan http://scei.co.jp/ps3-license/

US http://downloads.snei-opensource.com/pub/webkit/webkit-11.02.03-ga52edd9/

We have been told that PS3 OS Software is written in Japan but webkit and Cairo were disclosed in the US and the Sony webkit Job listing was for US also. I'd like to point out some things in that job listing:

The Sony Network Entertainment Senior Software Engineer-WebKit will join a dynamic team of experienced engineers developing WebKit and related open source software for the Playstation3, Sony Android devices, and other Sony consumer electronics products.

Qualifications:

BS or higher in Computer Science or Engineering.
Five or more years of relevant software development experience.
Knowledge of Web standards; HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DOM.
Open source software development experience.
Software development using Linux and GNU tool chains.
Expert at C/C++ programming.

Desirable:

HTML 5 and/or JavaScript programming experience.
WebKit, Cairo, or Pixman internals experience.
Graphics programming with OpenGL or similar experience.
Software optimization work; Vector and/or graphics optimizations a plus.
Programming vector processors; Cell Broadband Engine and SPUs a plus.
Software development using Playstation3 dev-tool and PS3 SDK.

The successful candidate will work closely with other members of the WebKit development team, and will also frequently interact with other engineers throughout the Device Software Development department as needed to accomplish assignments.

1) This is occurring in the US
2) The PS3 is mentioned several times and lower level Native language PS3 OS/hardware experience is a PLUS in addition to webkit. So these PS3 entrails in the PS3 ABOUT and the above job listing (you call them chicken entrails) are the sort that I am reading.

The PS3 4.0 firmware upgrade just released was NOT the ecosystem upgrade we were expecting!

androvsky; listed in a hacked PS3 firmware 3.55 was a ffmpeg plugin and that is open source but not listed by Sony in any site we now know about. There are three parts to a core gstreamer setup and FFmpeg is one of them. If Sony has legally complied with all their required disclosures then they must have purchased the rights to FFmpeg when they purchased the rights to Gstreamer. A subset of the ffmpeg codecs was written by a Fluendo employee and rights to use the H.264 (as example) codec can be purchased. Edit: androvsky in an email brought to my attention that FFMPEG is not in the PS3 firmware 3.55 hacked file list which indicates a memory glitch on my part that couldn't be checked by anyone on the board because we can't post links to such a source.

"GStreamer FFmpeg plug-in contains one plugin with a set of elements using the FFmpeg library code. It contains most popular decoders as well as very fast colorspace conversion elements." In some cases the file names listed for Firmware 3.56 confirm the recent PS3 "About" listing of Open Source Software, that FFMPEG, GST, GS or Cairo don't show up as part of PS3 Firmware file names is possible and does not preclude the routines being used by the PS3 firmware. The Charles Ying post confirms "Framework" support for the Javascript engine has been in the PS3 since 2009. The Engine in the 2009 video unlimited app is the same one listed as in the PS3 with Firmware 3.5 and that requires CairoGL and Gstreamer for the Video.

Gstreamer 1.0
Core...............Done
Base ..............Done
FFmpeg ..........Done

Good plugins....68%
Bad Plugins......27%

More information:

In the First webkit disclosure for the Javascript engine: CAIRO_REQUIRED_VERSION=1.6 After Cairo 1.6 Glitz is not needed as a wrapper for OpenGL, Cairo can use OpenGL as a backend directly.

Sony is using the cell in new video production equipment. PS3 up-converting algorithm from DVD to 1080P using the cell is being used to up-convert 2K to 4K. And multi-cell equipment to convert from any codec and container to any codec and container. The Road to 4K.

2011 Bravia TVs are getting updates now.
Video Unlimited for the PS3 updated
Hulu PS3 updated
S Tablet Video unlimited released
Sony Android Phones Video Unlimited released

PS3 Firmware 4.0 may have contained updated libraries needed for the ecosystem; Gstreamer 1.0 and possibly a new version of Cairo (from 1.6 to 1.86). Sony may have been waiting for Webkit 2 and Gstreamer 1.0.

PS3 Firmware 4.0 may have contained updated libraries needed for the ecosystem; Gstreamer 1.0 and possibly a newer version of Cairo (from 1.6 to 1.86). Sony may have been waiting (after October 25th) for Webkit 2 and Gstreamer 1.0 before releasing a webkit browser. Chrome and I think all the Sony Android platforms have Webkit2 browsers for stability, speed and split process. If a Flash Plugin is coming, webkit2 could recover if Flash crashes, webkit would not.

Sony: "Surprises" Coming to PS3 In Coming Months

picture1yku.png

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO Jim Ryan dropped some huge hints about future PS3 news coming at "the back end of the year".

During an interview with OPM UK, Ryan teased, "There&#8217;s a bunch of stuff at the back end of the year &#8211; I&#8217;ll just tease you with this because I not going to tell you what because I can&#8217;t &#8211; which I&#8217;m very excited by, and you&#8217;ll hear about [it] over the coming months. [It'll] give you plenty to write about.&#8221;

With it already being December 3rd, there isn't much time left for the rest of "this year". This hint could have something to do with the PS3-exclusive reveal that is going to happen at the VGAs this month. The VGAs and PS3 have garnered much attention in the later part of this year thanks to Geoff Keighley hyping the reveal as a "PS3 exclusive you won't believe." Of course with the VGAs right around the corner, this PS3 news might be something much larger than that and could roll into the beginning of next year.

There have been rumors of a PS3 macot fighter, similar to Nintendo Super Smash Bros., as the possible VGA announcement, but the reveal of the game codenamed "Title Fight" have already been denied by Keighley.

What do you make of this PS3 "stuff at the back end of the year"? Will it be a new game, or something much larger?
"Surprises - bunch of stuff" as in multiple new ecosystem features like a Browser, New Chat program, applications, new XMB..... Back end of the year may be as late as the CES show January 9th 2012 or as early as Dec 10th at the VGA awards. "Hear about it over the coming months" though, multiple news releases over the coming months or multiple firmware updates over the coming months?

Will it be a new game, or something much larger? Remember the new Xbox dashboard release is December 6th and the Spike TV Video Game Awards are December 10th. DirecTV's new five tuner HR34 Home Media Center DVR ready to launch December 8th.

After waiting years for someone to deliver the first RVU-capable multiroom DVR setup, info leaked to SatelliteGuys indicates we only have to hold out one more week for DirecTV's HR34 DVR. While DirecTV has yet to make an official announcement, retailer info states that it will be available starting Thursday for just $99 after rebate ($399 rack rate), bringing five tuners, 1TB of storage, whole home DVR service in up to four active rooms, and more. Of course, we'll need the RVU-compatible HDTVs mentioned
RVU version one requires a slightly modified DLNA and DTCP-IP already in the PS3 and RVU version 2 requires, in addition, webkit for the UI also already in the PS3.

Xbox is supporting RVU with Verizon and Comcast DVR boxes.

Jim Ryan comments to the press boil down to:

1) Bunch of Surprises for the PS3 at the back end of the year.
2) Sony is moving to support a more casual younger audience
3) Lower PS3 prices mentioned and (above) untapped market with lower prices

Speculation: PS3 price to be subsidized and offset with media and services (APPs) offered by PSN (PS Suite finished and being implemented). Network features of the PS3 to be featured in advertising (Chat, browser, Google+) along with more casual games. PS4 coming soon (NeoGAF users conclusion), future casual will be PS3 (cheap) and AAA will be PS4 (expensive) with crossover (PS4 to run PS3 games) and many PS4 games with a PS3 version (down scaled or missing a PS4 only feature) on the blu-ray disk.

PS3 acting as a server to Vita and eventually other Sony Android platforms. Vita and Android platforms acting as a controller for the PS3 and new Sony TVs (W3C paper from Sony outlines this).

Job posting for a Software engineer; "We are hiring passionate, programming perfectionists to help build Awesomium."

Requirements:
You should be self-disciplined and an excellent problem-solver.
You should feel comfortable working from home but not be averse to the occasional company meetup.
You should have experience building applications on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux.
You should have at least 5 years of C++ experience.
You should have proficiency in Javascript, HTML, and other web languages.
You should have experience with Chromium and/or WebKit.
You should have experience with creating libraries and take pride in crafting a beautiful API.
You should be familiar with unit-testing methodologies.

Extra Points If You:

Have experience developing for PS3, Xbox360, iOS, and ARM platforms.
Have experience developing applications with our SDK.
Have experience with parallelism, multi-processing, and assembly optimizations.
Live near the bay area. (We just relocated to SF)

Awesomium Add a custom web-browser to your game to grant users access to forums, guides, and additional online game content without ever leaving your application.

Awesomium is a flexible, windowless, web-browser framework that is meant to be used in your own applications. Think of it as if I took Chrome, chopped it into smaller, re-usable pieces, and served it to you on a nice shiny 32-bit BGRA pixel-buffer platter.
It is not an application, it is not a web-browser; it is a tool to add web-browser-like capabilities to another application.

It can do so much more than HTML UI: think of radical new browsing interfaces, multi-touch, 3D games, web-page capture, site scraping, automation, and awesome new web-browser mashups.

Awesomium is powerful and easy to use (it takes just 7 lines of code to render a page!) but gives you freedom when you want it.
The framework handles almost all the low-level tasks for you (network stack, HTML parsing, JS engine, layout, rendering etc.) but you can absolutely redefine much of the low-level behavior if you&#8217;d like (expose methods and data to Javascript, implement your own resource back-end, modify headers, and more).

I think this balance between ease-of-use and low-level flexibility gives developers the best of both worlds.
"Awesomium is a flexible, windowless, web-browser framework that is meant to be used in your own applications." It uses the webcore provided by the platform like that provided by Sony for the PS3.

It would appear that people in the industry know the PS3 is going to support webkit in game as speculated and hinted at by Sony employees. Portal 2 may have been first.

Khrona's Awesomium supports .NET also. (maybe PS Suite as it supports Mono)

Hanmik

Damn I was hoping for some crazy connection like "the Last of us" + VGA = new PS3 Web Browser... and all I see is Jeff applying for a new job.

Top Bottom