• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 YLOD- Question on new HDD

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Even with my new HDD transfer, I had around 15-20GB's of games/content to redownload. This is why I asked what the certain ammount of space I need for a backup is. I'm using my old 60GB HDD with an exclosure and have it stretched as a big FAT32 drive. I will attempt to do my first backup as I don't want to risk some of the stuff that's happened to some of you guys. Which brings me to.....

ThirstyFly said:
Just an FYI, if you do get your same PS3 back after having it repaired, it does not necessarily mean your HD will still work on it.

I had mine fixed last month (yellow light as well), got the exact same system back (same serial and all that), however it was totally reset. New system ID and MAC address.

When I put my 250gb HD back in, I was forced to format and lost everything that I hadn't already had backed up. And not all of the saves I did have backed up worked because they check the system ID.
Save files are one thing but if it's the exact same system, you would think a backup restore would work successful no? This brings hope in case my system ever dies. I could go without some saves that are tied but the loss of my accounts is another story.

Has anyone here actually had to do this? By that I mean backing up data, turning your system into Sony and getting the same one back AND then restoring as it's the same system.

Speevy said:
It does. I've backed up and restored my games three times already, but that was to the same PS3.
I just bought a 500GB drive from Newegg this weekend and will be installing it this week and I have a question if anyone can answer. What I wanted to know and haven't seen anywhere is will the back up also back up PS2 and PS1 vitual memory cards and saves? This is a big deal for me with the PS1 saves, but worst come to worst for the PS2 saves I can use the memory card adapter to get them back onto PS2 memory cards.

Speevy

Banned
I wish I could tell you I knew this for certain, but I don't think I lost any PS1/PS2 virtual saves in my upgrade.

Stillmatic

Wow, you got hit today as well. About 6 weeks ago mine died, i had to pay NZ$375 to get it repaired (out of warranty) and i got it back last week and it died again about 12 hours ago with the same problem. :(

I had Killzone 2 stuck in it the first time and still haven't got it back yet, and this time around Burnout Paradise: UB is stuck in there.

JakOfTheShadows said:
I just bought a 500GB drive from Newegg this weekend and will be installing it this week and I have a question if anyone can answer. What I wanted to know and haven't seen anywhere is will the back up also back up PS2 and PS1 vitual memory cards and saves? This is a big deal for me with the PS1 saves, but worst come to worst for the PS2 saves I can use the memory card adapter to get them back onto PS2 memory cards.

I'm not sure EXACTLY what gets backed up on the full backup but you can easily back up all your PS1 and PS2 saves onto any USB flashdrive. I do the full backup to external HDD rarely but I backup my saves onto a USB flashdrive every month or so and only pull the ones I've played during that time onto the drive. They take up a very tiny amount of space, relatively speaking. Just select the one you want to back up and hit Triangle, then Copy To, and select the USB drive you've inserted.

Valkyr Junkie said:
The only option you have (which is what I did) is to get your solders reflowed. You can either send it off to have this done, or do it yourself with a heatgun (although some have reported success with a hairdryer, just don't expect it to last long at all). This will at least get your triple back into a state where you can back it up. That's what I just went through.
a hair dryer is nowhere near hot enough to reflow solder.

JakOfTheShadows said:
it does. when i upgraded my PS3's HDD, i had half a dozen PS2 virtual memory cards (a bunch of Fire Pro edits) and they were all restored.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What I really want to know is if the PS3 makes bigger backups than 32GB FAT 32 partitions as I just made my 60 a full F32 part.

This way I don't have to go on a mass deletion spree.....again :(

LiquidMetal14 said:
Save files are one thing but if it's the exact same system, you would think a backup restore would work successful no? This brings hope in case my system ever dies. I could go without some saves that are tied but the loss of my accounts is another story.

Has anyone here actually had to do this? By that I mean backing up data, turning your system into Sony and getting the same one back AND then restoring as it's the same system.

I haven't done so myself, but I recall reading in this case, if you restore your data on a system with a new ID (doesn't matter if it's the same system or not if the ID is different) is that it will restore the accounts, but it will skip over anything locked, like locked game saves (for example, Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter 4 saves are locked). It should copy over ID tied saves like Devil May Cry 4, but the game will still check the IDs when loading them and it will say the save was created on a different system/ID. I'm not sure what will happen with PSN games, but game install data will also not be restored. Hopefully someone can confirm this for you, because this is just from my memory of what I've read.

Of course, if you get the same system back and whatever they do doesn't reset the ID, you're fine. In my case, they said they replaced the blu-ray drive.

PSGames said:
So the only way to back up a PS3 is to have another HDD? Or can I back it up on a USB memory stick?

USB memory stick, or if you have a model with media card slots, those will do fine as well.

Don

Stillmatic said:
Wow, you got hit today as well. About 6 weeks ago mine died, i had to pay NZ$375 to get it repaired (out of warranty) and i got it back last week and it died again about 12 hours ago with the same problem. :(

I had Killzone 2 stuck in it the first time and still haven't got it back yet, and this time around Burnout Paradise: UB is stuck in there.
My PS3 died back in March and it had my copy of Street Fighter IV inside and I still haven't got it back. They told me it could take up to 6 weeks for them to send the game back to me but its been about 8 weeks now. I think I'm gonna try calling them tommorow to ask about it.

The Faceless Master said:
a hair dryer is nowhere near hot enough to reflow solder.

I know, but plenty of people have fixed the YLOD with simply a hair dryer. While it certainly won't be nearly hot enough to melt solder, it does provide enough heat (even hotter than the CELL/RSX will run) to cause thermal expansion of the solder points.

Benedict

ThirstyFly said:
USB memory stick, or if you have a model with media card slots, those will do fine as well.

My PS3 has twice in the last two weeks beeped three times and then turned itself of when starting the system. Is this the beginning of YLOD?

If I make a backup on a USB-stick is it only the system info and save-files that are copied?
I don't want my installed games to be backuped as it's too big to fit on an USB>-stick.

Should I keep my bigger HDD that are in the PS3 now and send it in with the 40GB that came with it`?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
My launch 60GB YLOD on me last week. My thoughts were to take my HD out and put it in my friends PS3, boot it up, and back up my saves....no dice. As soon as i put my HD into his system, when it boots up it sees it as an 'unrecognized' drive, and immediately wants to format it. So that wont work. Luckily i wasnt in the middle of anything huge, so i just formatted it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Benedict said:
My PS3 has twice in the last two weeks beeped three times and then turned itself of when starting the system. Is this the beginning of YLOD?

If I make a backup on a USB-stick is it only the system info and save-files that are copied?
I don't want my installed games to be backuped as it's too big to fit on an USB>-stick.

Should I keep my bigger HDD that are in the PS3 now and send it in with the 40GB that came with it`?

I would BACK YOUR STUFF UP ASAP!! Sorry to say man, but it sounds like yours is on its way out.

Benedict

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I would BACK YOUR STUFF UP ASAP!! Sorry to say man, but it sounds like yours is on its way out.

Backuped my save-files (the ones that allowed me to do so) this afternoon.

If I do a full System Backup, have I the choice not to backup installed games, movies etc? and only do the basic system-related stuff?

Edit: If I backup to an external HDD connected to USB, does it have to be formatted o FAT32 or can it be NTFS?

Dead Man

Benedict said:
Backuped my save-files (the ones that allowed me to do so) this afternoon.

If I do a full System Backup, have I the choice not to backup installed games, movies etc? and only do the basic system-related stuff?

Edit: If I backup to an external HDD connected to USB, does it have to be formatted o FAT32 or can it be NTFS?
Must be FAT32.

Benedict

idahoblue said:
Must be FAT32.

Can I format it when I connect it to the PS3?
I can't format it to FAT32 in Vista it seems...

My HDD in the PS3 is a 250gb HDD.

The backup HDD is a 3.5 HDD 160gb fitted in a A.C.Ryan External chassi with a separate power cable.
Will that cause any trouble or am I OK?

Top Bottom