• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Man

LiveArea is one great Vita feature I hope to see return on the PS4. Would make absolute sense with the share aspect.

All this talk of touch and share buttons - nothing about motion? I want it to have vita level motion controls for gyro aiming and other stuff

Kotaku, who broke the share button detail, said it had improved motion control, I think it's guaranteed when the PS3 already had a gyro in it (albeit a 1 axis one).
Also a gaf poster who broke the fact it had a touch pad on it weeks ago said it has an colour LED strip on the back for camera tracking according to devs. Kotaku also said it has an RGB LED in it which seems to confirm it. Think of the 4 red LEDs on the DS3 and replace them with 3 coloured ones behind a plastic diffuser.

I have a feeling the touchpad will be on the back of the controller, just like the vita. You can still have a super sexy looking controller, sleek curves, ergonomics, etc. Then the back can be flat and smooth in the middle for the touch pad. Seems to make the most sense IMO.

There's pros and cons unless you have both, rear touchpad would certainly be better to increase input options in games, especially simultaneous ones, while the front one is more useful more for menu interfaces, text input etc.

I have a feeling the touchpad will be on the back of the controller, just like the vita. You can still have a super sexy looking controller, sleek curves, ergonomics, etc. Then the back can be flat and smooth in the middle for the touch pad. Seems to make the most sense IMO.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
All this talk of touch and share buttons - nothing about motion? I want it to have vita level motion controls for gyro aiming and other stuff

Kotaku, which were the first ones with the share button story, are saying motion is still in.

Ever since the release of the original PlayStation, Sony has maintained roughly the same basic controller design. This trend may be continuing with the PS4, because we've learned that developers are working with—and dev kits support—both the Sixaxis and DualShock 3 controller. This suggests that, for the most part, the design and capabilities of the PS4's controller will be similar to those on the PS3. The documentation also shows a Move controller, suggesting Sony's Wii-style motion wand will work with the new console.

There is a new controller in development for the PS4, though, known internally as the Orbis Development Tool, and while it keeps many of the same features as the current pads—like the four iconic PlayStation face buttons, two thumbsticks and shoulder triggers—there's one key addition.

British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button.

The PS4's controller will again be capable of motion-sensing, like its PS3 predecessors, only now with improved technology like tilt correction. It will also feature vibration, which Sony has thankfully learned is a next-gen feature you need to launch with. It'll also have an RGB LED light in it.

While there have been reports of the PS4 controller featuring "biometric" technology, there was no mention of it in the information we were provided.

There's one other addition to the PS4's pad you won't find on a DualShock 3: a "Share" button. We're not exactly sure what it does. The most likely use would be to allow users to share some aspect of their gaming experience to Twitter or Facebook. Maybe a screenshot? We have no idea. But that Share button might have something to do with...

http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

Binabik15

Gameplay recording in 15 minute chunks would only really work when one of the edit functions is save to hdd and start recording again, IMO. That way you could come back later to do a proper edit instead of being a lame duck in a shooter while cropping that killstreak/twenty c4s stuck to a quad video.

I doubt I'll ever upload something, but I DO record killing annoying enemies or bosses as ruthlessly as possible with FRAPS now and then to revel in their demise at later times.

waypoetic

Banned
Made a more traditional DS

bZz2iBq.jpg

I want that. SOLD!

Please dont change the dual sticks

Krabardaf

Please do!
But don't think this is happening.
Anyway, would love a Dualshock XL or something, this thing is just tiny imo, and the first sixaxis are far too light.

I love the notion of a touch pad, and the options is presents, but I worry about a couple of things:

1. It's a distraction looking down from the screen to the controller for mini-games.
2. I often set controllers down on the arm of the couch; I equally often bump them and send them crashing to the hard-wood floor. I'm a little concerned about breaking touch pad screens.

And just a little addendum: extra controllers are a must in this household. If systems come with one and touch screens add to the cost of add-on controllers, will a 400 dollar system suddenly cost 550 dollars because I want two extra controllers, that now cost 69.99 each.

I love and fear new controller design.

Eh. Aside from having the worst D-pad ever made the 360 has the best controller ever. Sony needs to get their ergonomics under control.

Gameplay recording in 15 minute chunks would only really work when one of the edit functions is save to hdd and start recording again, IMO. That way you could come back later to do a proper edit instead of being a lame duck in a shooter while cropping that killstreak/twenty c4s stuck to a quad video.

I doubt I'll ever upload something, but I DO record killing annoying enemies or bosses as ruthlessly as possible with FRAPS now and then to revel in their demise at later times.

The 15 minute thing sounds like a live rewind buffer on a DVR, ideally you'd pause after a few minutes and go back to select and share just a small chunk of that time to upload.
If possible I'd imagine there'd be a separate option to just record everything to a larger file if you wanted to, but I'm not assuming it's been made for LongPlays.

Eh. Aside from having the worst D-pad ever made the 360 has the best controller ever. Sony needs to get their ergonomics under control.
Definitely. I'm not sure if they feel bound to the design by tradition/nostalgia or what. The current shape is terrible in terms of ergonomics.

VanWinkle

I love the notion of a touch pad, and the options is presents, but I worry about a couple of things:

1. It's a distraction looking down from the screen to the controller for mini-games.
2. I often set controllers down on the arm of the couch; I equally often bump them and send them crashing to the hard-wood floor. I'm a little concerned about breaking touch pad screens.

And just a little addendum: extra controllers are a must in this household. If systems come with one and touch screens add to the cost of add-on controllers, will a 400 dollar system suddenly cost 550 dollars because I want two extra controllers, that now cost 69.99 each.

I love and fear new controller design.

Why would you need to look down from the TV. It's not like you would have to find the touchpad on the controller whenever you need to use it.

Salacious Crumb

they're going to do something silly like making SHARE viewable only in Playstation Home.

That would be incredibly stupid as the reason I suspect they have the feature at all is to use players to sell games, and thus the PS4.

Games like Minecraft, DayZ, and Amnesia wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful as they are without players uploading and sharing gameplay videos.

That would be incredibly stupid as the reason I suspect they have the feature at all is to use players to sell games, and thus the PS4.

Games like Minecraft, DayZ, and Amnesia wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful as they are without players uploading and sharing gameplay videos.

Right! but this is the company that brought you things like the minidisc and memory stick duo and, well, Playstation Home.

Amir0x

Banned
LOL. As much as I love Uncharted, I can't really disagree on the quality of the platforming. I enjoy it but it is objectively oversimplified.

Still, I love the idea of being able to talk about something on GAF and then finally be able to post videos in response to them. The Uncharted combat example is just one. Say, if I was having trouble doing a certain combo in an action game I could record myself attempting it and ask for advice. Hilarious glitches won't escape into the ether. It'll be really cool and really fun. As someone who loves talking about games as much as playing them, this feature is absolutely killer.

I absolutely agree. Nobody could believe about the fifty billion bugs I encountered while playing Uncharted 2, until I finally had my camera ready and got one photographed:

UnchartedGlitch01.jpg

UnchartedGlitch02.jpg

(Drake was then unable to climb out of this, so I had to reset the game)

With a video feature built into my controller? Fuggetaboutit.

Man the practical applications are vast. Look forwarding to seeing what you upload in the future

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
they're going to do something silly like making SHARE viewable only in Playstation Home.

It'll probably talk to the youtube api by default, like the PS3 video recording OS module.

I wonder if they could fit it out to do live broadcasts to services like twitch etc. Seems like it would be no more expensive, resource wise - although I guess they might want to only allow that in single player depending on the quality of your connection. Would be a logical extension at some point IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The controller is frickin gorgeous, even if it looks uncomfortable. The controller is ugly and impractical, though.

Also: I added the X/O/triangle/square to my avatar to celebrate the announcement hype. :-D

I absolutely agree. Nobody could believe about the fifty billion bugs I encountered while playing Uncharted 2, until I finally had my camera ready and got one photographed:

[]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/UnchartedGlitch01.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/UnchartedGlitch02.jpg[/IMG]

(Drake was then unable to climb out of this, so I had to reset the game)

With a video feature built into my controller? Fuggetaboutit.

Man the practical applications are vast. Look forwarding to seeing what you upload in the future

Did you get the other fifty billion bugs?

Amir0x

Banned
Did you get the other fifty billion bugs?

No, many of the other bugs would have been nigh impossible to spontaneously capture on video even if I had my camera ready. For example, once I ran across a fucking puddle or body of water (I think it was in the Monastery level), and Drake just instantly died. Just ragdolled to death.

Another time I dropped down to a ledge literally only a foot below Drake, and he instantly died.

Then other random weirdness throughout. It was like the game was conspiring to bug out at every moment.

Jack_AG

Banned
Please do!
But don't think this is happening.
Anyway, would love a Dualshock XL or something, this thing is just tiny imo, and the first sixaxis are far too light.
No.

Offset analogs worked in the PS2 days since most games used left analog+right face buttons - thus - the XBOX controller was born from the gameplay elements used during that era.

Now most games use dual-analogs so there is no need for offset analogs.

BUT - the DS3 could be bigger and go back to the concave analogs of the PS1 era. Far better than the rounded/convex analogs we have now.

I've seen other say this before but how do you think this share button will be any different than the Playstation button? I mean, couldn't they all be consolidated into 1 button? Like you click it and can either go to the system menu or share? Seems a bit odd to make a dedicated button for it, unless it's a button that only has options of Youtube, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, etc

Man

It'll probably talk to the youtube api by default, like the PS3 video recording OS module.
I'm sure they will but do you believe Google will allow close to limitless video uploads from gamers? Making recording such an easy to use feature the PS4 users will deliver YT huge amounts of data .

VanWinkle

The way i see it based on the rumors. And im sure it will take cues from the Vita.

ds4.jpg

I would like something similar. Maybe a more ergonomic shape, and concave triggers on the back. Could be a really good controller. I would also like a slight ridge between the rubber and the plastic outer ring on the analog sticks (similar to Wii U analog sticks). Also, keep in mind having the arrows outside of the dpad is redundant, since on the Vita dpad the arrows are on the dpad itself.

Salacious Crumb

I'm sure they will but do you believe Google will allow close to limitless video uploads from gamers? Making recording such an easy to use feature the PS4 users will deliver YT huge amounts of data .

Don't they currently handle something like 2 hours of video being uploaded every second? The extra traffic will be a drop in the bucket for youtube.

Anastasia

The way i see it based on the rumors. And im sure it will take cues from the Vita.

ds4.jpg

That is pretty much what I had in mind when I read the Edge article. It's different enough yet maintains the ergonomics of the DS3. I would not have a problem with this design.

Man

YT is one of the worlds seven wonders. I cannot fathom the backbone. Has to be alien technology.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

YouTube thrives on easy creation of video.

Krabardaf

I absolutely agree. Nobody could believe about the fifty billion bugs I encountered while playing Uncharted 2
I kinda broke UC3 an unimaginable number of times in a few hours. Physics of jumps is ridiculous.
Still a very, very awesome game. But i'll be damn if my roomates didn't laugh with me of how impossible some of the actions i made in this game are.

No.

Offset analogs worked in the PS2 days since most games used left analog+right face buttons - thus - the XBOX controller was born from the gameplay elements used during that era.

Now most games use dual-analogs so there is no need for offset analogs.
Believe it or not, some people actually like it otherwise. Crazy i know.
I don't like DS ergonomics and stick placement. But I can live with it.

Top Bottom