• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 CPU Higher than 1.6ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lock if it ends up I'm a total plonker for posting this:

Someone has PMed me on N4G and he's far too technical for me to understand. It's something about the latest breakdown of the PS4 hardware. I'll post the gist of it to see if anyone can understand why he's saying the PS4 chip runs faster than 1.6ghz. He seems very confident:

first there was the resolution reduction for single player in COD for Sony's PS4, AND NOW Again the same thing future update to increase to native 1080p after its shown side by side to the xboxone's and many site's seem to give Microsoft's xboxone the advantage in the CPU, but even that is proving wrong , but there still is sites saying that it does..but SOC product number's do not lie!

example

SCEI CXD90025G

see look at this: http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l94/joeorc/jRTQFFF3VCXYA1ew.jpg

Notice the SOC's product Number

DG1000FGF84HT

Replace the T at the end with a letter S on google search!

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar/AMD-PlayStation 4 APU.html

notice that lists

DG1000FGF84HS is an OEM/tray SoC

1600 MHz

Now put the T back on the end and do a google search again...grin

yep that's right the PS4's SOC is higher clock than 1.6 GHz!

its a Stacked SOC when chipworks does its's X-ray of the SOC just like they did for the PSVita we will be able to see how many layer's it will have.

I asked if he could explain more carefully:

see that picture of the PS4's MOBO? well that outline is in red points to the person that is the PS4's system on a chip. on that chip is a part # you can look up those number's online under cpu review tech sites that know CPU package production number's. well remember when people keep saying the PS4's CPU is clocked @ 1.6 GHz per core, well the link shows that's the right series, but wrong chip production the one that the PS4 uses is a higher clock rate than the one that was seen from very early dev. kits. the one people keeps saying is the clock rate of the PS4 is this DG1000FGF84HS number when its this one DG1000FGF84HT that last letter is a later series of the chip..in other words a higher clock rate in the APU. Thus the PS4 is clocked higher than 1.6 GHz!

At this point I asked him if it had been discussed anywhere else and he wrote this:

nope as far as i know because , ifixit was the first to host such a public teardown other than sony themselves, this was decapped SOC Chip so you can see what the official package number was on the CPU..so this was just released last night..so you could not fake these because these number's are engraved on the chips they did not alter them..its straight up pictures from the teardown...grin

thats why i kept quiet until now, i looked up the chips and there it is, both the xboxone and the ps4's chip was shown by dev. kits and the official chips are going to be known because chipworks xrays the chips

I'm seriously out of my depth with this information. Can someone make any sense out of it?

itsgreen

If I replace the the 5 in Geforce 750 and replace it with an 9, and google that it shows that it is much more powerful.

Vooduu

So what is it clocked at?

Ah yes. The answer the thread will probably never produce.

kingofpopcorn1.gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That dude's post makes absolutely no sense to me.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
Can't anyone probe the clock line with an oscilloscope? Although you'd need a pretty scmhick o'scope to do that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
"..the one people keeps saying is the clock rate of the PS4 is this DG1000FGF84HS number when its this one DG1000FGF84HT that last letter is a later series of the chip..in other words a higher clock rate in the APU. Thus the PS4 is clocked higher than 1.6 GHz!"

That's such a leap of logic that it broke my parser.

In the Desktop CPU world, Intel and AMD name their processors based on clockrate where an S at the end means underclocked or a K at the end means unlocked multiplier.
This guy is implying that the lack of an S at the end of the cpu means that it's no longer underclocked.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
"..the one people keeps saying is the clock rate of the PS4 is this DG1000FGF84HS number when its this one DG1000FGF84HT that last letter is a later series of the chip..in other words a higher clock rate in the APU. Thus the PS4 is clocked higher than 1.6 GHz!"

That's such a leap of logic that it broke my parser.
Well, T comes after S, alphabetically speaking. So it must mean it's an order of magnitude more advance.

What's the part number?
PEN0R00012IN

Is this tasty secret sauce? mmm delicious

I am curious what the final CPU clockrate is too, but I can't make sense of OP. lol

Tsundere

Banned
Honestly, the chip is most likely unlocked, but Sony was probably conservative and downclocked the CPU to 1.6Ghz for now; hence why they didn't say anything.

They can always Boost the clock later in and require firmware updates with that Boost to play future games.

Since when did the Ps4 need secret sauce?

It is ready far stronger then any console competition.

I would not be shocked at a higher then base clock CPU. I can overclock mine 700mhz and add a whopping 1-2c to it during operation

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Haven't we known forever that the Jaguar CPUs in both consoles can go upto and above 2.0 ghz for a long time? And that comparing them to retail versions is 100% pointless?

In the Desktop CPU world, Intel and AMD name their processors based on clockrate where an S at the end means underclocked or a K at the end means unlocked multiplier.
This guy is implying that the lack of an S at the end of the cpu means that it's no longer underclocked.

Just gonna quote myself here.

Putty

Speaking of specs, DF just tweeted that the XB1 also has 20 GPU cores, 2 redundant leaving 18, just like the PS4, I thought the XB1 was 14, or 12/2 split?

gruenel

Speaking of specs, DF just tweeted that the XB1 also has 20 GPU cores, 2 redundant leaving 18, just like the PS4, I thought the XB1 was 14, or 12/2 split?

You're reading it wrong. They just said the PS4 has 20 CUs, 2 of which are redundant, just like Xbox One has 2 redundant CUs.

Edit: beaten.

sangreal

pretty sure they meant "2 redundant, just like xb1", not 20 cores just like xb1

DBT85

No, that tweet was saying it has 2 redundant just like the Xbone.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Looking at the clock rate of a SoC that isn't the PS4 itself doesn't tell you what the clock rate of the PS4's SoC is. This would be found by someone doing a direct hardware analysis on the PS4 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom