• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Fan Noise

Melchiah

Here are the cases where my PS4 gets incredibly loud:

MGS V: When being in the Helicopter

Uncharted 4: The Main Menu

DOOM: Some Menus, Some Fights and surprisingly often when running around with no enemies on screen. This is the game where my PS4s fan gets most often ultra loud.

Dark Souls 3: Sometimes for one or two minutes after starting the game. Also when pressing the home button, while being in the game.

If you say you got a silent PS4, please try these games and scenarios and tell me the results :)

Uncharted 4 made the fan spin pretty loudly for me, but it helped when I vacuumed the dust from the system. The Evil Within was far worse, but I haven't tried it since the cleaning. I don't think I've witnessed it spinning louder, when I've accessed the system menu while playing DS3 though.

Uncharted 4 made the fan spin pretty loudly for me, but it helped when I vacuumed the dust from the system. The Evil Within was far worse, but I haven't tried it since the cleaning. I don't think I've witnessed it spinning louder, when I've accessed the system menu while playing DS3 though.

People here have said that vacuuming your console is a bad idea. What did you do, exactly?

Melchiah

People here have said that vacuuming your console is a bad idea. What did you do, exactly?

Yeah, I've heard mixed comments about it, and I dunno if it's bad or not. It hasn't provided any negative results so far though, on both PS4 and PS3. The dust build-up in my apartment is pretty excessive, so the systems have to be cleaned every once in a while, and I don't really want to open up them to do that.

Hoovers can carry loads of is static electricity which could fry your kit. Especially never use one on a pc motherboard etc - compressed air cans are the way to do. No idea of the risk to a console.

Melchiah

Hoovers can carry loads of is static electricity which could fry your kit. Especially never use one on a pc motherboard etc - compressed air cans are the way to do. No idea of the risk to a console.

I may have to try that method, if it's a safer option.

Pingoreous

I replaced the fan with the fan that comes in the new PS4 and that made a huge difference. Now its quiet and when it's in load the fan noise is bearable. Nidec is the brand of the new fan and as you can see it has more blades. I guess that reduces the loud blow dryer noise. I found the fan on Ebay. The seller said it was taken from a refurbished PS4.

Demo85

Banned
I put some new MX4 on the APU and it's fairly low volume now. Hope PS4k is a bit more silent

I replaced the fan with the fan that comes in the new PS4 and that made a huge difference. Now its quiet and when it's in load the fan noise is bearable. Nidec is the brand of the new fan and as you can see it has more blades. I guess that reduces the loud blow dryer noise. I found the fan on Ebay. The seller said it was taken from a refurbished PS4.

One on the left is the new model right? Might order it and plop it in

KiraXD

Okay after some ridiculous noise pollution coming from my PS4... i did TWO things...

I cleaned the fan... just the basic - open up the shell and dust-off - There wasnt much dust though but i had hope... but no change. it was still so loud.

After a few weeks I then set the PS4 in the horizontal position rather than keeping it upright. (ive always had all my other console upright since it fits nicer in my entertainment center)

I dont know why but it no longer sounds like a jet engine or a blow dryer in your ear.

Maybe that can help someone... dunno why it changed so drastically by just laying it down (maybe having the fan sideways rather than upright caused it unnecessary stress?)

Top Bottom