• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware Update 6.51 is out, improves system performance

Shin

Banned
Sony has released PS4 firmware update 6.51. It is available to download now on PS4 and seems to be a minor stability update.
PS4 firmware update 6.51 is around 440 MB in size and should be available to download now. It is a mandatory firmware update so you need to get it in order to play online.

Main features in version 6.51 update
  • This system software update improves system performance.
This is the only changelog available for the firmware update, if there are any hidden charges, we will let you know by updating the article. Mostly, if there is a minor update like this one, it usually leads to changelog mention stability or system performance improvements.

Credit: Voxels
Source: PlayStation

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Installed this in the time it took to look at notifications 😁
Then I proceeded to watch The Division 2 's 800mb update copy for half an hour.
My brother got stuck with it as well so haha but still Sony needs to fix that shit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hmm I’m downloading now. Had this been the name change update I’d be more excited 😆

Fbh

DX3Y2Sq.gif

LordOfChaos

For all the performance improvement firmware updates, you'd think performance would be improved by now.

The home screen performance still never recovered from when they freed up another part of a core for games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Car mechanic notes: Customer's car has steering issue. Mechanics diagnosed the problem coming from a bent rear axle. Mechanic replaced the axle and did an alignment check to ensure the car drives smooth

Sony notes: Stability fix

Rayderism

As I understand it, it fixes some issues caused in the previous FW update with certain themes reporting that they were corrupted.

xrnzaaas

Some people on reddit are saying that the PS4 Pro is working louder after the update. Don't know if it's bs or not, but since it's not a mandatory update it's probably best to wait for the next one.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Some people on reddit are saying that the PS4 Pro is working louder after the update. Don't know if it's bs or not, but since it's not a mandatory update it's probably best to wait for the next one.
The angular momentum of the fan acts as a gyroscope to stabilize the console. It all makes sense now.

wvnative

Hmm I’m downloading now. Had this been the name change update I’d be more excited 😆

For the entire PS4's lifecycle, only major new updates have come each March and September/October. Twice a year. They promised "Early 2019" for name changes, making me think the 6.50 update was going to be it. The fact it didn't happen yet and still no word on it makes me think something went wrong with this feature.

xrnzaaas

For the entire PS4's lifecycle, only major new updates have come each March and September/October. Twice a year. They promised "Early 2019" for name changes, making me think the 6.50 update was going to be it. The fact it didn't happen yet and still no word on it makes me think something went wrong with this feature.
Yep, I suspect that the "beta tests" have uncovered problems in more older games than they predicted. I initially planed to change my PSN ID, but I don't think I'll be doing it to avoid problems with older PS4 I also often play.

Last edited:

Business

You guys sure are thirsty to post stability memes, even when the update doesn’t mention anything about it.

Ar¢tos

Yep, I suspect that the "beta tests" have uncovered problems in more older games than they predicted. I initially planed to change my PSN ID, but I don't think I'll be doing it to avoid problems with older PS4 I also often play.
Games with account tied currencies/dlc (like Destiny) had issues when Sony forced name changes before (like offensive psn names - those in the grey area that Sony later considered offensive). Maybe they are trying to streamline the transfer process of those things with 3rd party publishers/devs and, as we know, any burocracies take ages to get anywhere.

rəddəM

After all these Stability and Performances updates my OG 1st CUH PS4 still turns itself off and goes into sleep mode on its own.
I see through your BS Sony, it's all lies.

scalman

if you count all those stability updates till now it should be allready stable AF... but they allways make more of those . good that we no need to worry about them as they do themselfs.

TLZ

Banned
After all these Stability and Performances updates my OG 1st CUH PS4 still turns itself off and goes into sleep mode on its own.
I see through your BS Sony, it's all lies.
It always happens to me after exactly an hour of inactivity. Unbelievable how precise it is every time. I'm starting to believe all the conspiracy theories.

rəddəM

It always happens to me after exactly an hour of inactivity. Unbelievable how precise it is every time. I'm starting to believe all the conspiracy theories.
I know right? I removed the rubber beneath the eject "button" and it stopped for a while.
Now this hoe of a console decides randomly that it'll fuck me up on Apex. Sometimes it even turns on by itself.

TLZ

Banned
I know right? I removed the rubber beneath the eject "button" and it stopped for a while.
Now this hoe of a console decides randomly that it'll fuck me up on Apex. Sometimes it even turns on by itself.
Does it spit out discs and beeps a lot? Had that issue with my OG.

Ar¢tos

No. It's just stealthily goes to sleep mode or turns off.
I had that issue and the spitting discs issue. I removed the eject button completely to fix the disc issue (eject via OS only now), the turning on or off on its own was much simpler. Just open a paperclip and gently slide the tip in behind the power button and give it a gentle nudge away from the console (basically increase the gap between the sensors). It will feel like you did nothing (it doesn't really move) but I never had that problem again.

Top Bottom