• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Games running on PS5 |OT| Because feedback is always good!

Labadal

Sorry man, I haven't been able to try all of the games, because I've been having crashes on my PS5. Nevertheless, I can tell you that Dragon Engine games run at 30 fps, and that Yakuza 0 and FOTNS run at solid 60.
Thanks! Those are the ones that I am most interested in. Sucks about the PS5. :(

Pedro Motta

Resogun no longer dips in later difficulties and co-op, buttery smooth always.
Ruiner ran like shit on PS4 Pro after the intro levels. Solid 60 fps on PS5.
Control is still 30fps, but feels smoother, snappier and slightly sharper on PS5. Still waiting for that next-gen patch tho.

Vtecomega

Banned
I am 99% certain that ps4 games on ps5 running in backwards compatibility have worse textures and a lot more antialiasing going on compared to the same game running on ps4. Lot's of gadded edges and general more blurry picture on ps5. I played some tlou2 and ghost of Tsushima and both look visually worse than they did on ps4 pro from what i remember. And no i am not going crazy, someone needs to do rigorous testing with this. I don't have a ps4 pro anymore so I can't.

En5Vy-OXMAQkPei
En5WBcMXcAgPrfI

ps4 images ^

En5V3nKXUAEgJcJ
En5WIBzW8AAw5KQ

ps5 images ^

The first image I took on my ps4 pro back in like August. The second image I took this evening on my ps5. I know that the scenes here are not aligned 100%.. but I think it's clear here maybe what I am seeing? Things are generally less clear on the ps5

I actually find the games look better on PS5. On God of war, Kratos has a lot more specular highlights on him Making him more shiny. The shaders also seem improved and colours pop a lot more.

It was 1080p 60fps on PS4 Pro
Best you gonna get is locked 60fps @1080p
But I don't think it drop much in the first place

Nope it wasn't. PS4 Pro had performance and resolution modes, Performance mode was 4KCBR30fps and resolution was 1080p30fps. PS4 pro didn't have 60fps at all and could never pull of 60. PS5 however thanks to the patch, has ghost running at 4K60fps in the default resolution mode.

Vaga

so other than Ghost of Tsushima are there any other PS4 games that greatly benefit from being installed on the main SSD?

Last edited:
so other than Ghost of Tsushima are there any other PS4 games that greatly benefit from being installed on the main SSD?

I play all my PS4 games off my old external SSD and it’s still considerably faster than standard PS4 loading times. Most games tested load almost identically off the external SSD as internal in BC mode

Trogdor1123

Anyone able to provide some external SSD suggestions and information on performance? I'm running my PS4 games on the internal stuff right now but want some more feedback before buying an external drive.

I'm running a digital ps5 if anyone wants me to test some stuff there. I can test what I have.

Skifi28

Do ps5 games get supersampling when displayed on a 1080p TV?

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any universal supersampling option for now, which means it's game dependant. The majority supersmaple like on the Pro. But, there are a few games that just run at 1080 when they detect a non-4k TV/monitor like the last guardian.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I got my PS5 2 days ago and thought what better way to test my new nextgen console than playing a game that originally was released on the OG Xbox. I'm not sure if there is too much interest, but it's Doom 3 (the recent PS4 port). And man, it's amazing. I feel like this is how id Software meant it to be played. The contrast between dark and light is insane. Now I don't know if it's only my Sony XG90 that produces this effect or the PS5 uses some kind of HDR for SDR games but it looks insane. It seriously looks awesome. I was waiting so much for this, to replay Doom 3, Doom 2016 and Eternal on PS5 and my new HDR TV and they deliver so far. The game has no problems at all so far, running perfectly in 4k60. What makes it even more special is that this is a game that I originally played on my Pentium III and Geforce 2 MMX with around 1 fps. So yeah, I'm enjoying it.

drotahorror

Well in not so exciting or unexpected news, Driveclub is locked 30 at 1080p. Just glad to get to play it again. Sold my ps4 and was crazy worried the DLC would never be able to be downloaded again.

Gold_Loot

Crysis! Playing this on perform mode was great just a week ago. Then, I noticed a patch dropped with “performance improvements. Improved HDR” etc. excited to see all these improvements I discovered
the game is now locked to 30 frames per second on ALL MODES. the fuck.
I tried a fresh campaign on all video modes , and no dice.
this “remaster” is a curse.

Shmunter

Crysis! Playing this on perform mode was great just a week ago. Then, I noticed a patch dropped with “performance improvements. Improved HDR” etc. excited to see all these improvements I discovered
the game is now locked to 30 frames per second on ALL MODES. the fuck.
I tried a fresh campaign on all video modes , and no dice.
this “remaster” is a curse.
Sounds like preparation for a next gen remaster remaster

Vaga

TLoU Factions is a lot more smoother than on PS4Pro, rarely drops frames now in perf mode.
Days Gone is a treat to experience @4k60, and loads about 30% faster on main ssd vs external hdd.
Can't wait to try GoT next.

Diomedes

For the no one who asked. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, disk version, definitely doesn't work as intended. Sure it will fire up, but as soon as you start moving the lighting and sound goes haywire, lots of flickering, nearly seizure inducing.

nordique

V Vaga thanks for the summary

I haven’t played days gone yet but have it downloaded

currently playing through FF7 remake as well as Spider-Man

Vtecomega

Banned
I am 99% certain that ps4 games on ps5 running in backwards compatibility have worse textures and a lot more antialiasing going on compared to the same game running on ps4. Lot's of gadded edges and general more blurry picture on ps5. I played some tlou2 and ghost of Tsushima and both look visually worse than they did on ps4 pro from what i remember. And no i am not going crazy, someone needs to do rigorous testing with this. I don't have a ps4 pro anymore so I can't.

En5Vy-OXMAQkPei
En5WBcMXcAgPrfI

ps4 images ^

En5V3nKXUAEgJcJ
En5WIBzW8AAw5KQ

ps5 images ^

The first image I took on my ps4 pro back in like August. The second image I took this evening on my ps5. I know that the scenes here are not aligned 100%.. but I think it's clear here maybe what I am seeing? Things are generally less clear on the ps5
The PS5 version looks better here lol

makaveli60

For the no one who asked. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, disk version, definitely doesn't work as intended. Sure it will fire up, but as soon as you start moving the lighting and sound goes haywire, lots of flickering, nearly seizure inducing.
Did you try both with and without patch?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I popped in Bloodborne yesterday and it looks much better and runs much better on the PS5 than on the PS4 Pro.

It maintains its targeted frame rate and even though there is still aliasing, it looks clearer/ cleaner.

Skifi28

Tried Elex. It had unlocked fps on the Pro, now it's locked at 60, didn't notice any drop whatsoever for the two hours I played. Looks and feels great.

Popup

Does anyone know how Hat in Time runs on PS5? Is it 30 or was it unlocked on pro and runs at 60?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nope it wasn't. PS4 Pro had performance and resolution modes, Performance mode was 4KCBR30fps and resolution was 1080p30fps. PS4 pro didn't have 60fps at all and could never pull of 60. PS5 however thanks to the patch, has ghost running at 4K60fps in the default resolution mode.
Talking about Tekken 7 mate

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Went back to Bloodborne and man, it's rough coming from Demon's Souls. I didn't think it was a big deal before, the performance issues didn't bother me at all, but now it clearly shows that BB is running quite poorly. It looks blurry and just overall bad. Which is a shame, because the game is so beautiful and has probably the best and most twisted art design I've ever seen. Sony must update it in the near futyre, it would be a crime against humanity if this game doesn't get a proper next gen update.

Mr Hyde

Playing FF XV: Episode Ardyn now. It's very good and performance is rock solid. Haven't experienced a frame drop, it doesn't even budge despite me throwing everything I can in magics and flashy attacks.

But I wonder if anyone encountered that trophy notifications doesn't show when playing PS4 games? It pops during PS5 and I've checked all settings to see if I've accidentally done something to prohibit the pop. I wonder if it's a bug.

Skifi28

But I wonder if anyone encountered that trophy notifications doesn't show when playing PS4 games? It pops during PS5 and I've checked all settings to see if I've accidentally done something to prohibit the pop. I wonder if it's a bug.

Gotten dozens of trophies on PS4 games since release, haven't had any issues.

I know it's got a bad reputation, but anyone by chance try Avengers or Fallout 76 on the PS5? I'm curious about if they run better even though I haven't personally had many issues on my PS4 slim

I get the trophies, it's just the little "pop" notification that's missing. It's a small annoyance, but an annoyance still.
I can confirm that the popup notification works just fine for me. Only two games though(Bloodborne and Spelunky 2), so maybe it's a game specific problem?

If you go to Settings->Notifications, do you have them turned off (Allow Pop-Up Notifications and Trophies->Show Pop-Ups)?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I can confirm that the popup notification works just fine for me. Only two games though(Bloodborne and Spelunky 2), so maybe it's a game specific problem?

If you go to Settings->Notifications, do you have them turned off (Allow Pop-Up Notifications and Trophies->Show Pop-Ups)?

Ok, good to know it's working 🙂 yes, I have trophy notification on. Maybe it's a game specific thing like you mentioned? This was DLC for FF XV so maybe it's that?

vkbest

The dark pictures man of Medan is 30fps on PS5. But the second game Little Hope is 60fps.

I found a trick to play man of Medan at 60fps on PS5 (maybe even works on PS4 Pro). Required 2 saves and play the prologue 2 times. You need first play the prologue until the part of the demo (the boat). When you get the control of Alex you only need to watch the identification of Dubois on the table, that unlock the framerate. After you go to the main menu and begin a new save, you will play at 60fps until you close the game. So when you play again (closed the game or turned off your PS5), you only need to load the first save, watch the identification, go to main menu and load the second save (your real save). I don’t know if this can hurt your PS5, I’m not sure if the game is locked to 60fps from this point, or running unlocked over 60fps.

I’m also surprised the game is locked to 30fps but they unlock on some circumstances such as watch a object. I played about 2 hours, and the identification on the boat was the unique thing that unlock the framerate

Last edited:
Started replaying Until Dawn on PS5 (played it back in 2015) and it's really smooth 60fps except those recap videos. Too bad it didn't get HDR and 4k update.

Didn't remember how entertaining it is and it's got Mr. Freddy Mercury before he was super famous.

rami malek wow GIF by Emmys

Vtecomega

Banned
Ok so I've done extensive testing with Bloodborne running on ps5 and I am convinced that it has enhanced graphical improvement.

Things I've noticed

- Improved ambient occlusion
- superior motion blur
- Alpha effects and blood splatter have improved. Especially the blood texture.

Textures for environments and asset's look identical.

Can anyone test Bloodborne just to see if this is placebo or not? 🙈

Top Bottom