• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware and Software selling faster than PS2 in Asia

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This says way more about China in 2015 than it does PS2 vs PS4

ZhugeEX

Banned
Do you have any info on the PlayStation sales breakdown for each country in SEA?

Unfortunately not. It's very hard to get data in this region. I do have some old PS2 data for a few asian countries but nothing of value concerning PS3/PS4 other than what I just posted for India and Asia.

Yeah, XBox populations is very scarce around my region as well. Playstation is everywhere.
People even call any gaming console 'Playstation' here (metonimy).

Haha yeah this is actually so common in some regions.

It's funny when older folks would come over back in the day and call even the Wii a Playstation at my home.

Kinda like how all toothpaste is called Colgate where I live :p

NEO0MJ

It's funny when older folks would come over back in the day and call even the Wii a Playstation at my home.

I wish people would at least call it a Playstation where I live. People here refer to it as a "Sony". Though there are some who refer to everything as a gameboy.

I wish people would at least call it a Playstation where I live. People here refer to it as a "Sony". Though there are some who refer to everything as a gameboy.

Heh, I've never once heard of a PS console referred to as a "Sony"

But of course my Vita is the perennial Gameboy to all.

Alo0oy

Banned

Kinda like how all toothpaste is called Colgate where I live :p

In my country, gaming = playstation for everyone under the age of 50.

But my dad (and everyone his age) still calls everything gaming Atari, even mobile games, but he's 52 years old so he was more exposed to Atari (he bought me my first console too, which was an Atari).

Probably also one of the reasons why Sony is able to get so many Japanese games on board despite 3DS making more sense domestically for some games. I would guess that Japanese software sells well in rest of Asia too.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cess007 said:
What actually surprise me is how much higher the PS4 software sales are over the PS2. The gap is huge!
That's not really a surprise considering PS2 attach rate was ~1.0 or lower across most of the region.

Javin98

Banned
Anecdotal evidence, but from my observation, in Malaysia, the PS4's adoption rate is easily starting to match up with the PS2's and this is just the start of the gen. Several people I know have PS4's and I'm planning on getting one this December. It's quite surprising because the PS4's hasn't even been hacked for piracy yet and piracy thrives here. In fact, I would say it is pretty much impossible to find non pirated copies of PC, PS2 and PSP games here.

Alo0oy

Banned
Probably also one of the reasons why Sony is able to get so many Japanese games on board despite 3DS making more sense domestically for some games. I would guess that Japanese software sells well in rest of Asia too.

To some Japanese publishers, Asia is a more viable market for their games than the US or Europe (like Sega and Yakuza).

Do you have Yakuza sales in Asia, ZhugeEX?

addik

That's not really a surprise considering PS2 attach rate was ~1.0 or lower across most of the region.

Yeah, the problem in my country (the Philippines) is how rampant piracy is.

During the PS2 days in my province, games were marked up heavily. A $50 game then would cost you about $80, and you get to buy the game at that price months after the game is released worldwide. That's the NTSC-US copy by the way, so we don't have our own region here. Worse is that I remember the median salary being around $250/month back in my province during the PS2 era.

Now, you can pretty much buy a copy of a game cheaper than its US price. They now sell Asian versions of the copy, so we also get DLCs and stuff. It is still a bit pricey considering the cost of goods here, but they are much more affordable. Piracy is still rampant, but I see a lot more people actually buying original copies of the game.

This is damn impressive considering asian countries tends to favor console that are pirate-able. Last gen it was x360.

Not just Asian countries, back in Dubai the PS was king until the tough nut that was the PS3 came along.. The 360 became the go to choice because it was piratable

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wonder if can top PS2 sales lifetime ( in those countries, not Worldwide ) but i doubt it.

In other news: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZHUGE!!!!!!!!!! :D

ZhugeEX

Banned
Impressive, I didn't expect that - then again I only know a small group of gamers in Dubai

The 360 did well.

But the Wii was non-existent in the middle east whilst the PS3 launched March 2007. Where as Xbox 360 launched in October 2008, around a year and a half later. The PS3 had quite a good lead when the 360 launched and whilst the 360 sold well it never caught up.

Anyway, I just noticed that there is a small bump in sales on the picture below. This actually represents when PS4 launched in China. Good to see that had a noticeable effect.

L531qTK.jpg

wapplew

Software sure, Asia used to buy pirated software exclusively. But hardware sold better than PS2 is hard to believe.

gconsole

Software sure, Asia used to buy pirated software exclusively. But hardware sold better than PS2 is hard to believe.

It's not hard to believe. PS4 cannot be pirated , that's all.

Oops, I read it wrong.

Hardware sold better because of the official launch in the region + better off middle class compare to 10 years ago. Look at their GDP growth rate.

Yagharek

Wasn't there a massive financial meltdown in many Asian economies late 90s/early 00s that probably hurt PS2 sales back then?

Might be interesting to compare post Asian financial crash to now, vs western console sales post GFC to the height of the PS2 era.

Nice to see growth anyway. PS2 calibre sales should be beaten for the sake of the console market.

BKK

It probably has more to do with the market penetration and support. The PS3 went for a broader and international approach in its mid life, SEA got an official PS3 and PSP release post 2009 I believe.

It was only in the PS4 (and Vita) that it went for the international approach to marketing and support on its first year of its release. Majority of the countries in Asia got official PS4 support within the year of its release.

Can't speak for the PS2, AFAIK it never got an official release in TH, ID, VN, and PH.

Both Ps1 (1996/12) & PS2 (2001/12) were officially released in TH. SCE Asia didn't enter ID, VN, and PH markets until 2009/2010 with PS3 & PSP. That was after they had abandoned their efforts to get permission to launch in China, deciding to expand their operations in SEA instead.

Apathy

Make a chart in the shape of a cake. Happy Bday Zhuge.

Why don't we just make him..... a pie chart. Lol

Not exactly. Sony is actually putting in WORK to localize these games also. It's a two way street.

While the localization has something to do with it, some of it has to also do with the fact that the group of people that have the disposable income to get a luxury like a game console has grown. More people in the middle class.

Hardware sold better because of the official launch in the region + better off middle class compare to 10 years ago. Look at their GDP growth rate.

Chû Totoro;179006620 said:
And that's why it's not comparable. PS2 years Asia vs. PS4 nowadays Asia is really really not the same.

Yeah, it seems that people are still thinking that Asia's growth is in stagnant over the past 20 years.

nynt9

Damn, nothing stops the PS train globally.

It's staggering to think they have the whole world on lock except US and UK.
Barely anyone I know uses an XB1 in my little corner of the globe.

I mean, even in the prime territory of their competitor (US/UK) they've been doing consistently better than the competitor so it seems like it's safe to say it's "on lock" globally.

That could be a factor.

Well, it's performing less than the last two market leaders in the US. It could still easily be the second best selling console of all time only behind the PS2, but that won't be because of the US and Japan, but despite of them.
Have you actually compared the U.S and Japanese numbers? There's a world of difference between them.

Also, no console is going to sell at the rate the Wii did. Expecting PS4 to sale around Wii's peak months for the whole cycle is beyond ridiculous. Neverminding the fact the console market may have contracted somewhat, and the explosive amount of sales at the beginning throwing off the usual trajectory.

Alo0oy

Banned
Have you actually compared the U.S and Japanese numbers? There's a world of difference between them.

Also, no console is going to sell at the rate the Wii did. Expecting PS4 to sale around Wii's peak months for the whole cycle is beyond ridiculous. Neverminding the fact the console market may have contracted somewhat, and the explosive amount of sales at the beginning throwing off the usual trajectory.

You're not paying attention to what I'm saying, other regions are comfortably selling better than PS2 and Wii, meanwhile the US and Japan are showing steep decline, in the US the PS4 is not even performing as well as the PS3 YTD, the reason the PS4 is doing better than PS2 worldwide is the growth in other regions.

It's a problem those two regions specifically are showing.

I need a source that any of those Territories are selling 400k a month

Why? I'm talking about the growth those Territories are showing, MASSIVE growth, growth big enough to counteract the decline in the US and Japan, why would a smaller market sell as well as the US by volume? a country with a population of over 300m, or Japan, a country with a population of over 120m, and both countries have a massively better GDP.

noobie

Banned
The 360 did well.

But the Wii was non-existent in the middle east whilst the PS3 launched March 2007. Where as Xbox 360 launched in October 2008, around a year and a half later. The PS3 had quite a good lead when the 360 launched and whilst the 360 sold well it never caught up.

Anyway, I just noticed that there is a small bump in sales on the picture below. This actually represents when PS4 launched in China. Good to see that had a noticeable effect.

L531qTK.jpg
What about the bump on the software side on 10th 11th month? Holidays?

True, but it's been what 10-15 years since the rollout of PS2 worldwide. I don't think China got PS2 until 2004? Look at the massive differences happening in Asia outside of Japan. India and China are fast becoming global powers, and China has become the second largest economy in the world, and in a few years will be the de facto largest economy in the world. This means hundreds of millions of people are added to the middle class, millions become super rich etc. There are probably more middle class people in India, China, South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, than there are people in the US.

Plus, it's no more about the pirate-able console, but the fact PS4 is a status symbol. PC is still king in Asia because of the piracy and stream factor. People can easily have large HDTV's, satellite Internet in India and China, and so much easier to hook up a console now.

This is great for Sony and for gaming though. Pretty soon, we'll see a larger generation of kids grow up with their own consoles, build their own gaming memories. Maybe we can start to see studios that will rival western development, much like western rivaled Japan.

An Indian console software developer would be cool.

Josh7289

Is there a comprehensive list of all the countries included in this usage of "Asia"? I'm not really sure what it means in an SCE sense.

Top Bottom