• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 ICE Team Programmer: GPU Has No Problems Handling 16XAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

This was interesting in relation to the more recent speculation around Dying Light and I think a handful of other games, where the PS4 version mysteriously lacks AF filtering - an effect that is notoriously low resource consuming, I remember cranking 8-16x on my old x1650Pro.

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-ice-team-...16xaf-new-asm-for-faster-offline-asset-baking

Cort Stratton, a senior programmer on Sony’s ICE Team has revealed a few interesting tid-bits about the PlayStation 4’s graphics capabilities. First of all he revealed that the PlayStation 4 has no issues in supporting 16 X Anisotropic Filtering, a method by which in game textures look great even when viewed at an angle. But certain games like Thief use the less impressive Trilinear filtering which led some users to raises questions whether the PS4’s GPU is capable of supporting 16 X AF.
Cort stated that there are no hardware issues restricting 16 X AF that he is aware of. “No hardware/SDK issues that I’m aware of. Sounds like a question for the developer.”

LCGeek

formerly sane
Considering the last thread on this subject I thought it was clear that PS4/X1 could 16XAF, but devs don't for performance reasons in the dev process.

Schnauzer

If it is an issue, I am sure it's the Unreal Engine.

Seems like most games without decent AF are made with the Unreal Engine.

Jonnax

This is an article that was made based on a couple of twitter posts back in march last year.

Though the missing AF in Dying Light did a google and Strider, Outlast, and Thief are also games which apparently lacked AF.

The common thread is that they all use the Unreal Engine. So I imagine a better question to ask is why the Unreal Engine has trouble with AF on the PS4.

HTupolev

Considering the last thread on this subject I thought it was clear that PS4/X1 could 16XAF, but devs don't for performance reasons in the dev process.
Performance is definitely part of it, as one or two devs have talked about scaling AF by surface to use high orders only where important, but the absence of it in certain games is puzzling (i.e. what's up with UE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom