• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Internet Connection Test - IP Packet Fragmentation

"The router in use might not support ip packet fragmentation and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted. For details, contact the router manufacturer"

Seemed to have gotten this after the latest update. Nothing in my hardware has changed so that's not the issue, at least I think. I can't even get a reported speed using the built-in test, but I can do an HTML5 speed test using the browser and speeds look good. I wanted to see if others can try running this test and report back with results.

I got this too. Maybe that explains why I still get Nat type errors in group chat when my brother or someone else is playing on another PS4 on the same network. Also have problems getting into the same Battlefront games, and rainbow 6 siege matches. Never had this problem on PS3.

NoWayOut

I started getting this message as well. Even if I bypass my router completely I still get it. The must have changed something.

"The router in use might not support ip packet fragmentation and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted. For details, contact the router manufacturer"

Seemed to have gotten this after the latest update. Nothing in my hardware has changed so that's not the issue, at least I think. I can't even get a reported speed using the built-in test, but I can do an HTML5 speed test using the browser and speeds look good. I wanted to see if others can try running this test and report back with results.

Let me ask a question! Do you have Xfinity Internet with Comcast?

I just signed up for Xfinity with Comcast last Friday! I get this little error every single time I do an Internet Connection Test. On my PS4, it will show me my upload and download speeds. However, with the number of people having this error, it appears it may not be exclusive to Xfinity by Comcast. I hope that is the case, because I am loving my Internet Speed at the price I paid.

On my PS3, it will never show me my upload and download speeds, and gives me the exact same error.

However, I haven't noticed any issues playing NBA2k16 and Battlefront Online, as well as playing Netflix on my PS4. So I dont know if that actually hurts your connection or not!

kingkenny76

What is your MTU set to? I had this when I set my MTU to 1472 (which Sony recommends) but went when I changed it to 1500. It didn't make any difference with download speeds though.
I live in Ireland and use UPC (virgin media) horizon box which is fairly shit with the ps4 anyway

DrkSage

isnt that NAT type problems? im asking cause i also get the same message and i have NAT type 2 but i still get "strict" on games like CoD

I don't get that message at all but when I run the speed test on the PS4 it seems like the console is throttling my internet speed. My Nat type is 2 and I get 38 down when I run the PS4 internet connection test. I am paying for 50mb down and Comcast has increased it to 130 down free of charge. My PC gets those full speeds but the PS4 doesn't. That mytest site said im only getting 8mb down.

What is your MTU set to? I had this when I set my MTU to 1472 (which Sony recommends) but went when I changed it to 1500. It didn't make any difference with download speeds though.
I live in Ireland and use UPC (virgin media) horizon box which is fairly shit with the ps4 anyway

It's set at 1500, the default for my router. If it needs to be lowered that's fine, but they make no mention of this. If that's the issue then it really is something on their end since it was working fine before.

Edit:

I should say the PS4 MTU setting is Auto but my router MTU is 1500.

NoWayOut

It used to be fine until recently. Nothing has changed on my router or ISP and even when connecting the PS4 directly I still get the message. I think it might have something to do with MTU size. Sony must have changed something.

sujay

It used to be fine until recently. Nothing has changed on my router or ISP and even when connecting the PS4 directly I still get the message. I think it might have something to do with MTU size. Sony must have changed something.

I'm like 90% sure this is the case. Last time this happened was when they were being majorly DDOS attacked, and they changed something with their MTU value on their end on the servers to mitigate it somehow. Looks like they might have turned it on temporarily due to the last few days to fix issues they must have been having with high volume. I got the fragmentation warning the last few days but not anymore.

EGOMON

This happened to me before when i was playing with the value of the MTU to 1942 i think so if you have yours auto instead of 1500 it might be changing by itself

Feichaw

I get this sometimes, but I've never noticed any problems.

It's totally random, and I didn't get it when I had a PS3. I suspect there's something wrong with the PS4 network drivers instead.

So I am not the only one? Did they change something recently?

I never saw this message until recently. I checked yesterday and didn't get it though.

I'm like 90% sure this is the case. Last time this happened was when they were being majorly DDOS attacked, and they changed something with their MTU value on their end on the servers to mitigate it somehow. Looks like they might have turned it on temporarily due to the last few days to fix issues they must have been having with high volume. I got the fragmentation warning the last few days but not anymore.
This was basically my experience.

I've gotten this recently. Hasn't affected my ability to play online or use any online features (though I haven't tried party chat). Tried setting the MTU on my router to 1400, will try turning it back to auto then. I haven't actually tested it in over two weeks so I don't know if it's still showing up.

Rooster

I noticed this when I switched to Google DNS last week, assumed it was that. Looks like it wasn't from this thread.

EekTheKat

Had the same thing, it pretty much meant shareplay was unusable since it is gated behind a speed test.

It happened last night, but cleared up this morning. However the speedtest bandwidth is still low.

Interesting since it appears to only affect the speed test. I'm getting way higher results than the speedtest itself.

Actually downloading a game gets me around 30mbps, as per my router's network monitoring utility. Upstream as tested the last time I turned on shareplay can hit 10mbps.

Time Warner cable here, 100/10 package.

Reule

Sorry to bump this thread but is anyone experiencing this lately? Just curious if this isolated and I need to call my ISP or if it is a PSN issue.

Doesn't happen every time but when I run a connection test, I get the message about the router not supporting IP Packet Fragmentation.

Apologies for bringing back an old thread, but i've been having this issue recently.

Recently a huge storm hit my area and basically uhhh "fried" my router so I had to call up my ISP to get it replaced. So after a few days of waiting a guy came in and did that and everything seemed fine; until I turned on my PS4.

Basically, I can't use my PS4 for anything but playing an offline game. If I try to access the store i'm stuck with a loading screen forever. If I try to play any game online I get constant errors and lag. If I try to browse the web through the PS4's browser the page never loads.

I did an internet connection test and I got that IP fragmentation message.

I've tried doing everything I could possibly think of in order to avoid another dreadful call to comcast xfinity but nothing is fixing this issue.

Anyone out there know what to do?

Top Bottom