• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

yella

Got a PS4 for Christmas from my sister. It's been my first home console in a long time (Had a PS3, but it dies on me after 3 years).

Everything is so... fast and smooth. So far I've played:
NFS - Since Driveclub got delayed, this became my go-to racer for the holidays, and it hasn't disappointed.
Warframe - completely slept on this one until my bro (who also got a PS4 from my sister) suggested it. Played a few missions with some randoms last night and it seems to be really good so far; gonna try playing with my bro later today.
Skylanders Swap Force - my sister got it as a shared present for my 2 sons; we played it Christmas night and everyone was fascinated by the game and the Portal of Power lol. The game is pretty straightforward so far; my 6 year old son is playing it on easy and getting through with minimal assistance from me, while my 3 year old enjoys watching.
Flower - Played for a bit last night; it's a really relaxing game that my 3 year old enjoys watching. I can't play for too long though, as my motion sickness kicks in really fast.

I also downloaded the Trine 2 demo, as well as Resogun and Contrast, but I haven't played them yet. Hoping to get FIFA and Knack within the next couple of weeks. If anybody wants to add me or play any games together (NFS, Warframe and FIFA when I get it), my PSN ID is oldyella.

Cudder

So I was cleaning up my theatre set up a bit last night and when I went to disconnect my PS4, I heard something rattling inside. It sounded like a small screw that was free and just flying around inside when I shook it. Tried to shake it out through the vents but it didn't come out. Have no idea what it is, I never noticed it when I hooked up my PS4 in the first place. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.

jiggle

You just get a cord with an unpolarized C7 connector, there's nothing special about it.

ibpWmuN7cy9qkp.jpg

(The polarized verison, which you don't want, has one round and one flat side.)
Awesome
Thnx!

Just received my PS4 from amazon.de, ordered in September. However, the blue LED is blinking and the TV doesn't seem to get any signal. Googling the problem give mixed answers. Does anyone know if someone has actually resolved this issue? Yes, I have tried multiple hdmi cables and my PS3 is working fine with the TV. Greatful for any tips.

Iacobellis

Just received my PS4 from amazon.de, ordered in September. However, the blue LED is blinking and the TV doesn't seem to get any signal. Googling the problem give mixed answers. Does anyone know if someone has actually resolved this issue? Yes, I have tried multiple hdmi cables and my PS3 is working fine with the TV. Greatful for any tips.

With the system powered off, hold down the power button until you hear a second beep. Does the Recovery menu come up?

Contact Amazon and ask for a replacement. Same thing happened to me and nothing worked.

EDIT: If the above suggestion doesn't work, try changing the HDD. If you don't havo one, then turn the console on without an HDD and see if something happens. If the blue light still blinks without sending any signal to the TV, then ask for a replacement. If a message appears on the tv, then reformat the HDD. A friend of mine this this and worked, though the console broke again a couple of days later.

FrsDvl

So my PS4 disc drive just got fucked up somehow, not sure if my daughter put something in it or something, but it seems to be blocked off somehow and it won't take discs. When it does take the disc it goes in in a weird angle and it won't read it.. No clue what happened to it, since it worked perfectly fine yesterday. Just on hold with CS hope they can fix it.

mattp

is there a way to enable hdmi-cec but not have it automatically turn the ps4 on when i turn on my tv?
its kind of annoying

Addnan

Is there a way to control the game audio and voice chat levels separately when using normal headphones? Something in the OS that I am missing maybe?

Filth

Well I got hit with the share bug :/. System stopped recording my last 15 min of gameplay. I tried to share a sick play I did in FIFA and the last gameplay it saved was from 2 weeks ago. Dangit. :/

Chopper

So... I can't pause downloads, right?!

Edit: And the ability to play games whilst they're being downloaded is an upcoming feature, right? Cos otherwise, I'm very confused.

def sim

My PS4 shut off randomly while I was playing AC4. Fan was still running, but anything else was unresponsive. Booting into safe mode wouldn't work. I had to unplug the AC cord to get it going again. Weird!

RkOwnage

Is the PSN store down? It says Network Unavailable for me, but I can see my friend's list and shit, just wondering if it's something with me or everyone else.

Frustrating -_-

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
So have any owners of the newer batches of PS4s (those that got shipped this month) noticed the analog stick wearing down like previously reported? I'm interested in getting one, but am a little concerned about some of the initial reports on the issue.

Sagitario

What? No it doesn't. Unless I'm reading what you're saying wrong, anything I've put my DS3 into has charged it.
I have tried plenty and only my laptop and the PS3 charge the DS3.

I've tried my iPad brick and a powered port out of my laptop to no effect.
Depends if those ports are giving out enough power (they aren't, obviously).
But they are (I have even tried Vita/PSPgo AC adapters). It seems like the DS3 needs to be recognized to allow the battery to be charged, you know, like a two-way communication permission.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't imagine it requiring more power than a phone or tablet.

I've never had any luck charging a DS3 from anything other than the PS3.

Good news that the PS4 wail charge a DS3 in standby - save me leaving my PS3 on when I need to charge

So my PS4 disc drive just got fucked up somehow, not sure if my daughter put something in it or something, but it seems to be blocked off somehow and it won't take discs. When it does take the disc it goes in in a weird angle and it won't read it.. No clue what happened to it, since it worked perfectly fine yesterday. Just on hold with CS hope they can fix it.
My guess is that it's your daughter.

My nephews jammed 4 DVDs into my ps3 DVD slot and I had to open the damned console up to take out all of it. You know what hori, mad catz can do? A child proof cd slot guard. I would buy one immediately.

So have any owners of the newer batches of PS4s (those that got shipped this month) noticed the analog stick wearing down like previously reported? I'm interested in getting one, but am a little concerned about some of the initial reports on the issue.

I haven't noticed anything wearing down on my DS4. It's still really new though!
But I can see how the sticks could wear off given the material. It's very rubbery IMO, but so far nothing to worry about.

Timurse

Banned
So guys here in Russia we have some really nasty stuff going on with PS4. Despite the official price being fixed as 18.990 rubles (421 euros / $579), lots of official retailers are selling the console starting from 26.990 rubles (599 euros / $824) with prices often skyrocketing almost to 29.990 rubles (666 euros / $915). Most of these retailers are not even ashamed of such practices saying that "It's holidays, people are still gonna buy PS4s".

Though it's worth mentioning that official PlayStation reps told me that they actually can't impose ANY restrictions on retail prices anywhere except their own Sony Store (which ironically doesn't have PS4 in stock). But still they are trying to convince everyone that there's gonna be a huge stock replenish by the middle of January 2014 and there would be enough consoles to get the price back to normal.

I am actually surprised that such practices seems totally ok with russian officials.

Has anybody else noticed problems with the two capacitive buttons on the PS4? The power and eject buttons?

Now, I never use the power button (always use the controller) so I can't talk about that. However, the eject button never seems to register my button presses.

I've noticed it before, but I really suspected a problem last night. I wanted to watch a BluRay and my PS4 was completely turned off (not in standby, but plugged in and ready to go).

I hit the eject button (without turning the PS4 on) and nothing happens. Shouldn't I be able to eject without turning it on? The PS3 allowed this, didn't it? The eject button ejects the disk and turns the PS3 on, right? Does this not happen on PS4 or is the button dodgy?

Then, I powered the PS4 up with the controller and attempted to eject during boot up. Again, nothing. I pressed the button several more times and still nothing. By this time the disk was spinning up with the system startup process. Eventually when it had wound down, the button press registered and the disk ejected.

Now, is my button broken, or does the system not allow an eject during bootup? Should I be able to eject when the system is powered down?

It has also been temperamental in general use. For example simply wanting to eject a disk whilst on the dashboard. It seems to take multiple attempts to get a press to register.

I hate capacitive buttons.

I realise that I can eject from within the operating system, so it's not fatal to the use of the PS4, but nonetheless, it should bloody well work!

Pinktaco

Just ordered a PS4 with Killzone from Amazon UK.

It'll be in stock the 10th of January, but I've ordered it to my parents place. I got a big exam the 23th same month and birthday the 26th.

So now I just have to survive the next month and I'll be in gaming heaven. Especially because I have an internship lasting 2½ month after my birthday so the homework/study part will be much lower than I'm used to. Once I'm done with the internship we have another 2½ month with some slow going interdisciplinary thingy and then it's summer.

Ooooh yes.. :3

Melchiah

I'm thinking about buying a sound bar for the PS4, as the bluetooth headset isn't supported, and even if it was, playing with headphones on would make the DS4 speaker useless. So, anyone have recommendations for supported soundbars in 100-200€ price range? Another option might be a 2.1 speaker system, but due to the limited space that's not an optimal choice.

I'm kinda on the fence here, wondering whether I should wait for an official PS4 soundbar to be released, but there's no way of knowing when or if there's going to be one, like there was for the PS3.

EDIT: Here's a couple of old pics to represent the space available. The soundbar fits perfectly in the front of the TV, whereas 2.1 speaker system would be a bit problematic.

DS0Nu5A.jpg
ytsqAGi.jpg

cheezcake

So I finally got my PS4 earlier today, after a solid day with it I've gotta say I am absolutely loving it.

Killzone is gorgeous, though a pretty 'meh' game.
Resogun is amazingly addictive
Trine 2 in 3D is jawdroppingly stunning

My only complaint thus far is lack of 5 GHz wifi, I get almost double the wifi throughput on my XB1. But that's offset by being able to plug in ANY headphones into the controller, none of this proprietary bullshit. Plugged in my Audio Technicas and got all the sound to work through the controller, which is a big deal for me as I like to game/netflix at night when my family is asleep.

All I can think of right now is, this gen is looking good. For all parties involved.
Except maybe Nintendo

I'm thinking about buying a sound bar for the PS4, as the bluetooth headset isn't supported, and even if it was, playing with headphones on would make the DS4 speaker useless. So, anyone have recommendations for supported soundbars in 100-200€ price range? Another option might be a 2.1 speaker system, but due to the limited space that's not an optimal choice.

I'm kinda on the fence here, wondering whether I should wait for an official PS4 soundbar to be released, but there's no way of knowing when or if there's going to be one, like there was for the PS3.

EDIT: Here's a couple of old pics to represent the space available. The soundbar fits perfectly in the front of the TV, whereas 2.1 speaker system would be a bit problematic.

DS0Nu5A.jpg
ytsqAGi.jpg

Just because I'm totally ignorant to it from an audio standpoint, can you (or anyone) explain the idea behind a sound bar? I just don't understand it very well. It seems like it's one massive speaker. Why this over, say, a surround system or a nice 2.1 system?

Again, totally ignorant to it. Zero knowledge, and I'd like to upgrade my sound eventually.

Tsundere

Banned
Just because I'm totally ignorant to it from an audio standpoint, can you (or anyone) explain the idea behind a sound bar? I just don't understand it very well. It seems like it's one massive speaker. Why this over, say, a surround system or a nice 2.1 system?

Again, totally ignorant to it. Zero knowledge, and I'd like to upgrade my sound eventually.

Aesthetics.

Top Bottom