• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: The Ultimate FAQ

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Lock if old. I'll be updating the OP as I go through it.

Q: Will PS4 Pro have separate or exclusive games?
There will not be any PS4 Pro-exclusive games. Because PS4 Pro and the standard PS4 are members of the same family, both systems will be fully compatible with all past, present, and future PS4 titles, including PlayStation VR. All PS4 games are PS4 Pro games, and vice-versa.

Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a downloadable update. Some titles previously released will be updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro features, including Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Last of Us Remastered, Infamous Second Son, Shadow of Mordor, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and more.

Q: Will all PS4 games be compatible with PS4 Pro?
Yes, all existing PS4 games are fully compatible with PS4 Pro.
Developers are able to add PS4 Pro enhancements to previously released PS4 games via a downloadable update if they choose to.

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?
PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements. For a look at how games are using the power of PS4 Pro, watch some of the first game footage on our YouTube page.

Additionally, PS4 games that render below native 1080p (maximum quality for HD TVs) on the standard PS4 can be elevated to render at full native 1080p on an HDTV.

See below for a chart detailing how PS4 Pro will display based on different TV types.

GFVv711.png

Q: Will PS4 Pro be compatible with my existing PS4 downloaded games, saved data, and PlayStation Network Friend lists?
Yes. PS4 Pro exists in the same digital ecosystem as the standard PS4 in all regards; two PS4 console systems, one PlayStation Network, one PS4 community. This means you can start playing a game on your PS4 Pro, upload the saved data to online storage using PS Plus (sold separately), and pick up your progress on a standard PS4 in another room. It also means that all content and saved data that you already own on PS4 are fully compatible with PS4 Pro on day one.

Q: Will PS4 Pro include support for Dolby Vision HDR?
There are currently no plans to support Dolby Vision.

Q: Does PS4 Pro support Ultra 4K Blu-ray Discs?
No, PS4 Pro’s internal Blu-ray drive does not support the new Ultra 4K Blu-ray Disc format. It supports the same Blu-ray Disc specs as the standard PS4. The Blu-ray Disc Player application, however, will support high-quality upscaling of DVD and Blu-ray Disc content.

Q: Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it’s true that PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances.

Q: If I’m using PS4 Pro on a 4K TV, and I’m playing a PS4 game without PS4 Pro features. Will it still output in 4K?
Yes, older PS4 games without dedicated PS4 Pro features will output at 4K when played on PS4 Pro and a supported 4K TV using a Premium HDMI cable. You will not, however, see any visual benefits without support for PS4 Pro features.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a downloadable update.

So it will be 'virtually' universally supported with Pro specific modes?

Dynomutt

Why did they not do this yesterday?

-Could have released some developer interviews.
-Release the interview with EuroGamer,
-Release the interview wit Ars.
-Have gaming journalist give their hands on experience.

Would have been suffice for something that was well known.

Still excited especially after the EuroGamer article. Pre-ordered yesterday.

Ozorov

"Additionally, PS4 games that render below native 1080p (maximum quality for HD TVs) on the standard PS4 can be elevated to render at full native 1080p on an HDTV."

So Battlefront and Battlefield 1 will be native 1080p with Pro?

Quonny

I wonder if that virtually means 'hey, those indie games that don't need the power don't need to worry about a Neo mode' or if that means 'lol its up to developers'.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Additionally, PS4 games that render below native 1080p (maximum quality for HD TVs) on the standard PS4 can be elevated to render at full native 1080p on an HDTV."

That's what it sounded like to me yesterday and from the press release, but I guess we'll get confirmation with the games' arrivals.

All I really want to know is if I am going to benefit with a 1080p TV?
Do you want your games to play better and look prettier? Then yes.

Sony did an awful job explaining this thing yesterday. Should have shown game improvements and then talked about TV compatibility. The confusion about this thing is pretty high. Bad meeting.

All I really want to know is if I am going to benefit with a 1080p TV?

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?
PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements. For a look at how games are using the power of PS4 Pro, watch some of the first game footage on our YouTube page.

Reading the OP is hard.

Yes, but I want to know if this means supersampling for every title that is over 1080p ?

Dynomutt

No support for 2560x1440 monitors?

Curious about this as well.

Also this was interesting:

Q: Are Sony’s new 4K TVs a good fit for PS4 Pro?
While we won’t provide a specific recommendation for PS4 Pro at this time, Sony has a long history of designing TVs with advanced technology, and that reputation has extended to the 4K TV realm.

They are really not pushing 4K Media as much as I though they would. .

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a bit weird that they didnt outright confirm that Battlefield 1 will be native 1080p 60 fps. I know some Gaffers were adamant that the CPU wasnt powerful enough to do 1080p 60 fps despite the GPU boost.

Sony and EA's weird messaging isnt helping.

Developers usually have to pay a fee to publish updates/patches right? Perhaps Sony should consider waiving that fee for Pro upgrade patches. Might help entice some devs to go back and do some tweaking.

bigkrev

Being able to transfer your data between any 2 PS4s (regardless of model) will mean that PT gets to continue to live on!

reKon

Banned
regarding the remote play, they need to fucking fix that. There's no reason why I should be instantly disconnected when I have 155 MBPS connection. This worked flawlessly before the Windows 10 update.

Q: Will PS4 Pro include support for Dolby Vision HDR?
There are currently no plans to support Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision is hardware related. If it isn't supported. It never will be.

Q: Does PS4 Pro support Ultra 4K Blu-ray Discs?
No, PS4 Pro’s internal Blu-ray drive does not support the new Ultra 4K Blu-ray Disc format. It supports the same Blu-ray Disc specs as the standard PS4. The Blu-ray Disc Player application, however, will support high-quality upscaling of DVD and Blu-ray Disc content.

Your TV will upscale the image to 4k anyway.

Yes, but I want to know if this means supersampling for every title that is over 1080p ?

Essentially that would be a yes because you have to patch for PSPro support.

If the game can render at 4K, then Pro downsamples on 1080p screens

If 1080p is chosen as output then the Pro prioritizes visuals and performance if possible. I want to know If I can choose 1080p performance even while connected to a 4K display?

So even if you stick to a 1080p display you're still getting better than 1080p IQ? Nice.
Somewhat. On Pro supported games, yes you're getting even better visuals and clarity and extra works.
On non supported games, they will still output the same but the image might be a little better since the upscaling may be better on the Pro than letting your TV handle it.

Maybe a stupid question, but why can't the games be better if they had problems on PS4 automatically without a patch or is it ?

It's mentioned in the FAQ, at least as far as resolution goes:

Additionally, PS4 games that render below native 1080p (maximum quality for HD TVs) on the standard PS4 can be elevated to render at full native 1080p on an HDTV.

Essentially that would be a yes because you have to patch for PSPro support.

If the game can render at 4K, then Pro downsamples on 1080p screens

If 1080p is chosen as output then the Pro prioritizes visuals and performance if possible. I want to know If I can choose 1080p performance even while connected to a 4K display.

So it's the same like downsampling on PC, then?

If the developer chooses to, you can have these options.

Top Bottom