• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: Was the lack of a UHD Player Strategic?

dcx4610

I think it's purely because a lot of people stopped buying Blu-Rays. Or those that still do are a small percentage.

Blu-ray revenue was 6 billion for 2015. That's the same as Netflix. It would be stupid to ignore that amount of revenue and millions of Blu-rays sold.

I think the correct answer is Sony couldn't make a profit on Pro with a UHD drive OR, they want to push their streaming/digital services.

JP

I think it's simply down to cost and having money on something that is of no benefit to gaming. £349.00 is a fantastic price what's inside the box and the price was enough to make me pre-order on Amazon as soon as the option was available.

They could have included a 4K blu-ray player but I certainly wouldn't have paid anything on top of what I am paying pay for it. They really don't want to start losing money on each sale and adding the cost of having a 4K blu-ray player onto of the £349.00 is likely to exclude some people who are just looking for what it does to games.

Maybe if it was released twelve months or more later when 4K blu-ray players had dropped in price it could have been a better idea but the primary function of the new model is surely what it can improve in PS4 games at relatively low cost.

I genuinely think the price is fantastic for the what it is.

UrbanRats

People worried about 4K and HDR, but not by inherent compression/low bitrate of streaming.
I have yet to understand that one.

This is just incredibly dumb.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its a games console not a multimedia box.

They tried that route with PS3 and it didn't work out so good for them.

mrmickfran

Pretty sure it was just solely so the thing can be cheaper.

How much would it be with the player? $449? $499?

I honestly don't know.

Dunlop

It's a bad decision to sell this is a 4k capable high-end entertainment machine without any UHD video optical media support. Those two are at odds with each other.

This

The fact that MS was able to include in the XB1s and bring the cost of the machine down in the process is pretty much nullifying any kind component cost argument.

People worried about 4K and HDR, but not by inherent compression/low bitrate of streaming.
I have yet to understand that one.

This is just incredibly dumb.

seriously. lower compression and high bitrate from discs makes it way better than streaming. not to mention if your internet is down or acting up.

Xav

The future is streaming, not 4K Blu-Ray.

People still buy DVDs these days. The mass market doesn't give a shit about a UHD player.

Then again, this is supposed to be a high end PS4 so Sony's messaging is weird here.

Sony has their own 4K streaming service which will probably be coming to PS4 Pro at some point. Seems like they may be trying to limit their competition on the platform by not having UHD support.

Well, it looks like they don't want to lose money on consoles and also don't want to break the 399 barrier, so it makes sense.

XBox One S has 4k and HDR, 500GB for 299€
PS4 Pro has 4k streaming + HDR, no 4k disc drive, 1TB, double the GPU power, CPU and RAM OC for 399€

Pricing seems fair to me, but I am too disappointed in the lack of a 4k blu-ray player.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I just see it as Sony being cheap. This was supposed to be a premium device but I don't see it that way very underwhelming.

Microsoft carcass in alley this morning. Tire tread on burst UHD Blu-ray drives. This community's afraid of me. I've seen its true face. The forums are extended gutters and the gutters are full of salt. And when the drains finally scab over, all the trolls will drown. The accumulated filth of all their F2Ps and MMOs will foam up around their waists and all the publishers and developers will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "No."

They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father, or President Harai. Decent men who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipe until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody Hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth talkers...and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.

icespide

Banned
Blu-ray revenue was 6 billion for 2015. That's the same as Netflix. It would be stupid to ignore that amount of revenue and millions of Blu-rays sold.

I think the correct answer is Sony couldn't make a profit on Pro with a UHD drive OR, they want to push their streaming/digital services.
good thing the PS4 Pro plays blurays then

Toki767

Pretty sure it was just solely so the thing can be cheaper.

How much would it be with the player? $449? $499?

I honestly don't know.

I definitely think a pricing breakdown if someone makes one is going to shed a lot of light on the decision.

myca77

I've no idea if it was strategic, if it was to keep the price down then I guess. I'd like to know the difference in price between a UHD and regular Blu-Ray drive though.

I do think they should have included one, or like someone mentioned above I think they should have had a separate SKU with one and maybe a bigger HD or SSD for $100 or so more.

It does seem odd when Sony sell UHD TVs, and Sony Pictures are probably quite happy to sell us a bunch of new and legacy UHD films. It's also somewhat out of character for the Playstation brand when you look back at the PSX, PS2 and PS3.

firelogic

If they put it in and priced it at $450-$500 it would have been "wah wah wah! I don't even WANT UHD Blurays! Who gets blurays these days? Sony just RIPPING US OFF with things we DON'T WANT!!"

They don't put it in and it's "wah wah wah! I don't have a 4k tv or plan to buy one in the next 10 years but I WANT A 4K BLURAY PLAYER! SONY IS STUPID!"

Even if a UHD drive is just $1 more than a BD drive (which it's clearly not), do you have any idea how much that's going to cost when you're selling tens of millions of units? If you're going to rag on Sony, look at the bigger picture. Not to mention, no matter how they say it's a "Pro" console, they want to sell it to the general public in mass numbers. If it's $500 that's not going to happen. PLUS, having it $100 more than the Slim makes it all the more enticing. "Hey, I could get the slim for $300 or just pay another $400 and get the Pro. $400 is what the PS4 originally cost and it was a great deal back then."

Ive streamed 4K Netflix to my TV, and it can't compare to a disc (at least judging 1080p streaming vs disc).

I am upgrading to an XB1S for the UHD player. I'll have to pass on upgrading my ps4.

Well they don't think UHD is DOA and going the way of streaming cause they've just unveiled recently their dedicated UHD player. It's just a case of keeping the cost below $400 while maintaining value for what it's primarily built for with enhanced features over the original.

srqZht8.png

I like the fact that Sony is going all out on gaming as someone who doesn't watch movies or TV at all. I would like to think that it was a decision to keep the price down. Something that every press outlet actually focuses on. The pressure to make the thing cheap was obviously strong enough.

Arklite

They want an agreeable price and they want to push streaming. It was completely strategic. Now they look odd though because '4K' rumors had big implications and the Xbox S busted out a UHD drive suddenly.

teiresias

I'm about as big a Sony fanboy as you an find when it comes to the console space, and even I'm not going to spend even one paragraph trying to explain away this completely asinine decision. They screwed the pooch on this one, end of story.

III-V

All in all, I just feel that Sony, a company notorious for front loading its tech with proprietary formats or formats they want to push (Vita Memory cards, Blu-Ray on PS3, etc.), didn't do so this time. And that might be telling.

Yes, I agree this is bizarre, but I can't find any justification. I can't wait to hear the reasoning behind it.

Brandson

Most of those who still care about physical movies already have UHD players.

That's not true at all. Also, game consoles are a great choice for a disc-based movie player because you can rely on them to get firmware updates to fix playback issues or possibly support updated audio or video codecs. Many standalone players are quickly abandoned by their manufacturers, or are too frustrating to update if they get updates at all. And when your game console also plays movies, that eliminates the need to add yet another device in front of your tv. It's more convenient for the consumer and gets movie players into the homes of more people. Sony would only make this decision if they are trying to kill UHD bluray as a consumer format.

majik13

I prefer no UHD BR player, if it means the console is cheaper. Not sure what the cost might have been per unit for Sony. I would probably never use it.

If their strategy was pissing off loyal owners of PlayStation since the PS2 who expected it to Only Do Everything then yes, it's a brilliant strategy.

Skatterd

I think it was a silly decision at the current time
That said- I have 0 interest in buying a physical version of a movie ever again.

Kolx

Sony basically wanted to cut the price expecting that not too many people will care about this. Whether this is true or not will show when the console goes on sale.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I guess they're keeping costs down.

But pushing a 4K console that doesn't have a 4K Blu-Ray player and can't run games in 4K natively is just...I dunno. Dodgy?

Sanctuary

Most of those who still care about physical movies already have UHD players.

That isn't necessarily true at all. Some people just ended up with a 4K screen sometime this year, and the Neo leaks/rumors have run amok since the beginning of the year, with many expecting it to have a UHD drive. Furtherrmore, it wasn't worth paying $500 for one of the select few players that were available at the time for the small amount of currently available 4K discs.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
UHD feels like a niche within a niche. Would I go out of my way to get a UHD disk if there was one? Well I would need a 4K TV, and 4K content and even then it isn't something id really pine for.

Physical media is dying and it's funny Microsoft is trying to act like they're the champions of this subset when they were pretty vocal about the digital future.

AHA-Lambda

ok, as much as 4K blu ray isn't very popular, surely it's not difficult to add in this playback feature? Especially for a device that is selling itself on 4k ability =/

i don't think it's a dumb move, people won't care and it saves costs.
that doesn't mean that i support it, i hate that apple removed the headphone jack but i doubt it will have any noticable impact on their business.

Madness

My god, Sony apologists will go to any lengths to explain away a dumb decision.

Yup. It is crazy. For months there was nonstop speculation of how PS4 Pro will be a media machine and now that it doesn't have UHD blu-ray support, oh most people already stream, most have other players etc.

There's a lot of incentive for these guys to push people to 4K content on digital distribution.

Netflix can even have a deal with Sony for this, further pushes Netflix platform too.

PlayStation is also the most commonly used console for Netflix, apparently still? Maybe? Partnership there is important.

And Sony has their own 4K digital content to advertise as well.

Cost will be lower for Neo because of it.

BluRay 4K is not something that will happen as fast as Netflix 4K. BluRay will take a much longer time to adopt the new discs and buy movies again etc.

Netflix 4K is there if you have the box and the service. That's it.

I would've preferred to have 4K BD support though. That's just me. That's not necessarily what the market will buy anyway though. Sony is betting they'll still buy this anyway. I think they should have included it regardless.

Top Bottom