• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 + Rest Mode + Update = Bye,bye save progress?

Have you guys ever lost any important save progress in any game because you had auto update on your PS4 system?

Couple of days ago, I was playing Final fantasy XV
4 hrs in some dungeon called Pitios, the game does not check point save or allow saving while inside this dungeon, I then put the console on rest mode and noticed the ps4 light went from orange to blue, just to find out the ps4 was auto-updating- I had no clue it would show a corrupt block ( which by they way I have no idea how to get rid of it)
and I lost all my save progress

- tough dungeon by the way :(

Is this an official known thing about rest mode :( ?

Allow auto download but not auto update.

I've ignored system and game updates for days while resuming games. Only will impact online only games.

Chaostar

If the game crashed out then the PS4 would auto update but in my experience it has never updated while a game is running.

ElCidTmax

You are playing with fire if you put your PS4 in rest mode without saving your progress. Yeah, it should work, but it's a risky move.

Azuardo

I discovered this for the first time myself the other day when I started up Yooka-Laylee, and made very small progress (didn't open up the first world yet though), and then decided to come back to it tomorrow. Put it in rest mode, then the next day I found it had updated the system software and shut down my game. I had to start a new game because it didn't save, but luckily it wasn't much progress.

This was new to me, but makes me wary. I guess the rule is to definitely make sure to save up before going into rest mode.

It is known.

Don't trust rest mode and don't trust automatic updates. Certainly don't combine the two together.

Hey-
how can I choose to auto-download the update but not auto install it?
how's that done btw?

I discovered this for the first time myself the other day when I started up Yooka-Laylee, and made very small progress (didn't open up the first world yet though), and then decided to come back to it tomorrow. Put it in rest mode, then the next day I found it had updated the system software and shut down my game. I had to start a new game because it didn't save, but luckily it wasn't much progress.

This was new to me, but makes me wary. I guess the rule is to definitely make sure to save up before going into rest mode.

I see,
did you get a gray block next to your game with a little lightning symbol?

chunk3rvd

Started GTA:SA PS2 classic. About 5 missions in and I decided to load up on pizza and do all 50 taxi missions in a row. Had an update happen to me like this and I was so pissed that I've never gone back to it since :/

MCD250

Hmmm. I don't put games in Rest Mode too often, but I do use it every now and then. I should probably set auto-update back to just auto-download, just in case.

I actually had this happen to me with Tales of Beseria the other night. However, my game wasn't running in the background and it was a physical copy of said game. I removed the disk and put it back in and it went away.

LoveCake

I didn't think the PS4 would update while a game was actually running?

The only 'rest mode' I know about is putting the console into rest mode instead of actually turning it off.

How do you enter 'rest mode' while playing a game, I don't understand.

The only 'rest mode' I know about is putting the console into rest mode instead of actually turning it off.

Hold down PS button and select rest mode from the power options. It will resume from where you left it once you turn the console back on. You may have to enable yours in the power settings if you are from EU I believe. I am from NA and it was default for my rest mode.

Sarcasm

I don't know I was just lent a PS4 and I automatically thought best to exit to start menu of a game than do rest mode.

To me make sense if you use auto everything and use rest mode while in the game you would lose progress.

OSHAN

Goddamn. So that's what corrupted my Puzzle Quest save. Even though you're doing the same shit over and over, I have no interest in actually starting over. At least I can direct my anger towards something specific now.

I actually had this happen to me with Tales of Beseria the other night. However, my game wasn't running in the background and it was a physical copy of said game. I removed the disk and put it back in and it went away.

I have a physical copy of FFXV- that's how you get rid of the error block next to the game?

zMiiChy-

Banned
Fortunately rest mode has never broke for me, but is there a consensus that relying on automatic updates would be a bad idea?

SpecX

It does, it's a nice feature but sucks with this last update for me. Put Kingdom Hearts on pause and put the system in rest mode, then went to boot up the next day to find out my system updated and closed the game. Good thing I saved, but lost at least an hour of progress.

Dingotech

I put my PS4 in rest mode every night.

The system downloads updates all the time and never forces me out of a game unless it's an online only game.

Shin-Ra

Install Automatically downloaded System Software updates is disabled by default so you'd need to have turned that on.

Settings > System > Automatic Downloads
> System Software Update Files ☐
 > Install Automatically ☐
Automatically install system software update files while the PS4 is in rest mode. Your unsaved progress in applications might be lost.
It's also one of the options presented when you first switch a new or wiped PS4 on.

JdFoX187

Banned
I've had that happen about a half-dozen times in Horizon. Never lost too much progress -- maybe 15-20 minutes at a time. Still frustrating, though. So yeah, I feel your pain, but still never get around to do changing the settings.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, every time i see one of these PS4 rest mode topics, it makes me surprised I've never had issues with it.

Only time rest mode failed me was when I had a game on a USB HDD suspended with the USB connected on the back port of the Pro, that port doesn't seem to support suspend.

The front 2 ports work just fine with rest mode though.

Deku Tree

For Pitos the hard part is figuring it out. You can get back to where you were much quicker than it took you to get there the first time.

It sounded like you were saying it corrupts the save file, not just quit out to lose the progress since the last save. That's not what you mean, right?

It happened to me just a couple days ago, when playing Persona 5.

I made a rant in the OT about it.

Turn off auto-installation and stay safe folks.

This happened to me with the last update while I was in the middle of a dungeon in Persona 5. However, the game allowed me to continue playing despite the corrupted data icon on the XMB and the XMB saying Persona 5 isn't even in the drive lol. So I rushed to save, restarted the system and all was well.

Even with all auto updates off, my PS4 ALWAYS downloads game updates every time I start a game.

I have to go to the shitty new consolidated notifications pane (bad move, Sony) and quickly cancel the downloads before they install.

It's maddening not having full control over my console...especially when I have all update settings turned off.

BTW this happens twice in Mass Effect: Andromeda -- once when I start the game, and the game auto triggers the update when I get to the main menu.

BioWare REALLY wants you to play with the update installed.

MaKTaiL

If there is a game running in rest mode the PS4 will NEVER update anything. It was actually something that took me a while to figure out. Once I started closing my game before shutting the PS4 down I finally got automatic downloads.

killatopak

Deeke[VRZ];233893663 said:
Even with all auto updates off, my PS4 ALWAYS downloads game updates every time I start a game.

I have to go to the shitty new consolidated notifications pane (bad move, Sony) and quickly cancel the downloads before they install.

It's maddening not having full control over my console...especially when I have all update settings turned off.

BTW this happens twice in Mass Effect: Andromeda -- once when I start the game, and the game auto triggers the update when I get to the main menu.

BioWare REALLY wants you to play with the update installed.

Huh? If they're off, it won't download and even more it won't auto install. I have numerous updates waiting to install.

Have you guys ever lost any important save progress in any game because you had auto update on your PS4 system?

Couple of days ago, I was playing Final fantasy XV
4 hrs in some dungeon called Pitios, the game does not check point save or allow saving while inside this dungeon, I then put the console on rest mode and noticed the ps4 light went from orange to blue, just to find out the ps4 was auto-updating- I had no clue it would show a corrupt block ( which by they way I have no idea how to get rid of it)
and I lost all my save progress

- tough dungeon by the way :(

Is this an official known thing about rest mode :( ?

To remove the corrupt block, take the disc out and put it back in. I was in the middle of horizon and that worked. No big

Hardvlade

You are playing with fire if you put your PS4 in rest mode without saving your progress. Yeah, it should work, but it's a risky move.

You can't save your progress inside Pitioss (dungeon OP is talking about), it's meant to be done in one sitting and the dungeon is pretty damn difficult.

and yeah fuck Pitioss. I did beat the dungeon, but stopped playing after =P, will probably go back when all DLC drops.

Lexxism

Damn. This is what I did to that dungeon when I was playing it. Good thing there wasn't any update during that time.

LOLCats

Banned
i stopped using rest mode the first time i had a corrupt save. Never again. for what its worth it has happened to me on both PS4 and XB1.

RedAssedApe

Banned
happened to me on persona 5 the other day with the 4.55 update. but i saved before i set it to rest mode :D

i stopped using rest mode the first time i had a corrupt save. Never again. for what its worth it has happened to me on both PS4 and XB1.

don't think that corrupt tile on the dashboard has anything to do with your actual saves.

Neolombax

I've never had this kind of problem before. I always put my PS4 on Rest Mode and with auto update. But I never leave my PS4 on Rest Mode while a game or application is still running. So far no corrupted saves or anything of that sort.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've never had this kind of problem before. I always put my PS4 on Rest Mode and with auto update. But I never leave my PS4 on Rest Mode while a game or application is still running. So far no corrupted saves or anything of that sort.

pretty sure the times its happened to me are when there is a firmware update available and the ps4 has to reboot into safe mode to install it. it can't maintain your rest mode state.

Top Bottom