• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Software Update 1.5 is now up for download

Jagxyz

I don't get why people are so worried about the update crashing the servers, there's only going be 1-2 mill? on day one vs. however many million on ps3 that update regularly.

dvize

Banned
Thanks for this. Now i don't have to wonder if sony can handle a million users trying to patch at once.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Downloaded in case the servers crash Thursday night after midnight launch or are way too slowl

XJF

By the time I download it and transfer to USB it would just be faster for me to download it on the console at launch.

Athreous

Downloading now!

iWRuVaBH6tivF.gif

rofl, that's the gif of the year! xD

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Added the 800MB Recovery File to the OP. I might be wrong but my guess is, just like the PS3, part of the OS resides in the HDD so if you're installing a new HDD you'll need the recovery file to complete the HDD installation.

Eusis

LOL. This is almost like desperation. Downloading an update for a machine you don't have is just nuts.

It only took me 34 seconds to download. ;-)
You say that, but the Wii U could get bricked if anything went wrong in its initial lengthy update. Hopefully Sony has more fail safes there, but better safe than sorry, especially if you're not going to get this at midnight and can keep an ear out for what's happening.

Rikyfree

Added the 800MB Recovery File to the OP. I might be wrong but my guess is, just like the PS3, part of the OS resides in the HDD so if you're installing a new HDD you'll need the recovery file to complete the HDD installation.

Ok coolio, cuz I got a 1TB SSHD waiting for install and was wondering which file I would need, Thanks Killthee!

Only getting 3.5MB/s download on my 30MB/s ISP.

Actually, it's spiking between 5.2MB/s and 2.1MB/s now.

Sony better have a good network running on Friday, or Antonio Banderas will be pissed!

Quadratic

Hopefully with people getting the update now before Friday things can go more smoothly and the servers won't be as stressed.

There was a version up a week or two ago, but it was supposedly just a mislabeled 1.0 and it got taken down soon after people found it. This looks like the real deal though since it's so close to launch and review units are getting prompted to download it.

System Update: dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2013_1112/sys_df008b5601f4a214a3cc65030a02ac4a/PS4UPDATE.PUP
Recovery File (My guess is this is the full OS for people installing a new HDD): http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2013_1112/rec_cedada625478db608d5878c019454380/PS4UPDATE.PUP

I'll update the OP with the installation procedure for updates via USB when we get full details, for now all we know is:

Sweet, gonna dl these as a backup. Btw where'd you get these files?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I have a new HDD for the ps4, so I need to use the recovery file and not the other file?

I would download both just to be safe. I'm assuming the recovery file will be needed for new HDD installs, but Sony hasn't officially given us any word on what the update procedure entails.

is this mandatory?
The update is mandatory, it's what enables PSN functionality on the console on launch day. This method of installation isn't mandatory though. You can just boot the console day 1 and update it from there instead of bothering with this.

i'm upgrading to 1TB as soon as i take it out of the box.

we need to see if anyone else out there has done an upgrade so we know what to expect. hopefully i can just pop in the drive and boot it up like PS3 does after it formats.

Sanjuro

This is exciting. I still remember when PS3's only feature for a while was it could run Linux.

As long as the updates are smoother than last generation, it should already be a win-win.

Downloaded, thanks OP!

Anyone know if there needs to be a specific file structure like on PS3?

I figure it's probably the same as on PS3.

.PUP(file)-->UPDATE(folder)--->PS3(folder)

Top Bottom