• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft is a sinking ship and the public is aware of that. This is exactly what happened to Sega Saturn after launch.

A real shame too I even like the Xbox One better than the PS4 right now since it has KI and Dead Rising 3.

In 40 more countries... They did sell better, Sony, but in more countries. If MS launched in 40 more countries, sales would be about the same but that's my opinion.

With the known numbers of countries reported, particularly NA and UK, PS4 is outselling Xbone, and those are MS strongest territories, and the other European countries reported thus far all have the PS4 ahead, I honestly don't think they would be the same even if they launched in as many countries.

WolvenOne

It really doesn't, it just becomes more anecdotal evidence.

It does, in so much that enough anecdotal evidence is considered strong grounds for forming a hypothesis. Typically scientific evidence is needed for confirmation.

So in this context, a bunch of individuals giving anecdotal reports of PS4's being sold out, while X1's are aren't, is solid scientific grounds to conclude that demand for PS4's "may," be higher then demand for X1's.

Hoo-doo

Banned
In 40 more countries... They did sell better, Sony, but in more countries. If MS launched in 40 more countries, sales would be about the same but that's my opinion.

Your opinion is a wrong one though, and you'd realize this if you took two seconds to think it through.

Into

It's always hard to tell in these threads, but are you being serious? Sony is topping MS in their two biggest territories (US and UK), once you get more into Europe you have places that heavily lean toward Sony. MS launching in more territories really wouldn't have made much of a difference. There's a reason why MS put those other countries in "Tier 2" , they know full well what the reception for the console will be.

It comes across as a serious comment, it has replaced the "Both have equal demand but MS is better at supplying the stores" and "Fastest selling /Major Nelson" after these 2 theories got shot down as complete BS.

When the Xbox One craters in Japan, the argument will be changed to the classic "Just wait for____", happened with the PS3 in 2007, happened with the Wii U in 2013

People are expecting that Xbone will do well in countries with 4, 5, 15 million people living there..that are Sonyland anyway, mind boggling

Jomjom

Banned

That doesn't make logical sense. Ps4 has outsold the Xbox one in the countries where the Xbox one did launch. Unless you are saying that in the remaining countries where the ps4 launched and the Xbox didnt, the Xbox would have outsold the ps4 your opinion is just wrong.

meanspartan

Sony is selling better but they launched in more places. Also I haven't seen PS4s or Xbox 1s much. The only place I saw Xbox ones was at Kmart. I would say it is easier to get an Xbox one than a PS4 but I wouldn't say its over flowing and 2 pictures that get throw around won't change my mind.

Have you followed this thread even a little? There are lots of pictures of various stores with lots of Xbox One stock, AND an employee of a retailer saying their entire district is flooded with hundreds of Xbox Ones, but hardly any (or none, I forget which) Ps4s.

Sure that is just one district/region or whatever, but are you really going to say it is an aberration while your perception is the accurate one? Come on.

yon61

GTA V sold nearly 1million in Japan alone. Call Of Duty sells a couple hundred thousand. Western games are only getting more popular over there.
Only two examples, and they are of franchises which will likely be cross-gen anyway? Don't even expect the next GTA game for another 4 years. Western games may have a growing presence, but it's no where near enough.

What is the difference between the PS3 and PS4? Other than the price difference, what separates the two situations? The PS3 had to compete with a very competitive Wii at the time. Wii and PS3 essentially split the Japanese console market in 2, roughly 20+ million consumers.

And Wii U seemed to have compelling software for the Japanese, unfortunately the Wii U offers nothing that the 3DS already does not do, its why Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Pikmin, Zelda have done very little for that console in Japan. Simply having handheld games on your console is not going to work.

The PS4 does offer things you cannot do on any other console there, they are bundling some consoles with the camera which can be used for all sorts of things, they have streaming, better social integration, high end graphics you cannot get on a smart phone/3DS/Vita, a good price, they have a few Japan centric titles like Yakuza and DW for launch as welll as high profile releases like 2x MGS games, KH3 and FF15 which are practically exclusive in Japan on the PS4, since the Xbox One wont sell for shit there. PS4 has a better launch than any PlayStation console of all time, go look up the actual launch of PSX, PS2 and PS3 if you doubt that.

PS4 is in a far better position than the PS3 was in Japan, there is no competition on the home console market, Wii U is limping and Japanese third parties clearly do not care about that console. 3DS will continue to do well but will do less in 2014 than in 2013, reason: nowhere near as many high profile releases, no mainline Pokemon or Monster Hunter this year for 3DS, sales are bound to see a small dip.

In 2007, Wii was on fire and PS3 was very expensive, impossibly hard to develop for and had many other problems, such as very questionable marketing campaigns and all sorts of fuck ups.

Ive put my eggs in this basket a long time ago, but i think, factoring all things in 2014, that PS4 will do far better in Japan than most expected. It wont do PS2 numbers, but it will do better than PS3 when its all said and that.

The Wii was very much an exception as far as being a home console goes. Most people who bought one were never core gamers to begin with. It missed out on a lot of major Japanese titles, titles that went to the PS3. The PS3, outside of Nintendo games and other key Wii exclusives, was more or less the definitive console last generation. For most core gamers in Japan it was divided into two camps; PS3 as one of them and DS + PSP as the other with the Wii having its own core audience.

If you think the Wii U's current and upcoming software isn't compelling enough to the Japanese, then doesn't that make the PS4's look awful?

No one is doubting the PS4 is an amazing success so far, but so far it has not launched in Japan.. which is what we are discussing. I don't think any of the features you listed matter too much, the PS4 will always be first and foremost a games machine in their minds.

The overall Japanese games market has declined quite a bit compared to the last generation. Only the 3DS is selling well on regular basis now. I don't see how that makes the PS4 any better placed though. The PS4 could have used the same amount of support the PS3 had.

Even back in 2007 you're forgetting that the majority of the fire was not from the Wii, but from the DS and PSP. I think you are exaggerating the PS3's disadvantages and simply not looking at the real compeition that it had in the handhelds. With 3DS, Vita and its own predecessor, the PS3, the PS4 will have a tough time trying to establish itself.

Between 10 and 20 million? Quite optimistic. As of right now I can't see it doing any better than the PS3.

I think the Wii-U was doomed to be stillborn from conception for a variety of reasons, and it doesn't matter which country you live in, it's just not a compelling purchase or a significant step away from what already existed. As many other posters said it's along the same lines as "Wii-U isn't selling therefore people don't like consoles anymore" logic, false.

Just watch it sell out.

There's nothing to watch. The PS4 preorders in JP sell out immediately when new stock is released. The question of course is how many PS4s are being allocated to JP region. It's easy to sell out if you allocated 10,000 units for example. Now if Sony put a million units in JP and they all sell out then I think we might be looking at the savior of consoles in JP.

tensuke

Hmm
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/
Code:
Jan 09 - 5:29 PM EST	Amazon : Console Out of Stock
Jan 09 - 5:26 PM EST	Amazon : Console Preorder for $399.99
Jan 09 - 5:25 PM EST	Amazon : Console Out of Stock
Jan 09 - 5:24 PM EST	Amazon : Console Preorder for $399.99
Jan 09 - 5:22 PM EST	Amazon : Console Out of Stock
Jan 09 - 5:21 PM EST	Amazon : Console Preorder for $399.99
Jan 09 - 5:15 PM EST	Amazon : Console Out of Stock
Jan 09 - 5:14 PM EST	Amazon : Console Preorder for $399.99
Jan 09 - 5:12 PM EST	Amazon : Console Out of Stock
Jan 09 - 5:11 PM EST	Amazon : Console Preorder for $399.99

Hmm
Code:

Man, getting a PS4 isn't going to be easy anytime soon.

Jomjom

Banned
Sony is selling better but they launched in more places. Also I haven't seen PS4s or Xbox 1s much. The only place I saw Xbox ones was at Kmart. I would say it is easier to get an Xbox one than a PS4 but I wouldn't say its over flowing and 2 pictures that get throw around won't change my mind.

Mind sharing your zip code. Not trying to be creepy or calling you a liar, but it would be super easy to check if what you said is true.

Do you only shop at Kmart and nowhere else?

And there is no reason to, really. Even if there is no good justification for making Wii U games today (there isn't), who knows what the world will look like in 2018.

On topic: This is an excellent start for the PS4.

It really is a situation of atrophy. People don't make games for the Wii U because sales will be low, but they also know if they stop supporting it as a publisher, others are likely to stop as well, which means the platform withers and the chance of them missing out on sales by not supporting it shrinks.

Looking back at the Wii U launch in Japan, perhaps I'm being a bit pessimistic with assuming 200k as a floor for PS4.

Wii U did 308k with NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper, TTT 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 all charting for it. The top charting game that week was Yakuza 5 for the PS3 with 360k units. PS4 is launching with a Yakuza title. It also has Dynasty Warriors and a handful of other Japan only titles, and MGS GZ in a month. It should do at least as well as the Wii U did I imagine.

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw in an anecdote from a Best Buy employee up in the NH/MA area.

I checked our district charts for PS4/Xbox One stock yesterday. There was exactly 1 PS4 in the entire New England area (both North Mass and south Mass districts), and it was listed as unavailable, for whatever reason.

However, in just the northern district, there was just under 700 Xbox Ones, including 2 Day One editions at the store in Nashua, NH and 1 in Salem, NH. There's pushing 6000 in the local (LOCAL) distribution center. The last two major shipments came in before Christmas, and haven't come close to emptying out either set.

Take it how you will, but every store has PS4s listed as "On order" for as many as they can possibly allocate from every shipment we receive, and they sell out instantly. I'm just glad my store doesn't handle that product directly (I work in a mobile stand-alone), because I guess the phone rings constantly for any news on PS4 stock.

If this is true across NA, wow at the sell through numbers going ahead, and the repercussions across the board.

I'm not sure how this could be spun.

Into

Only two examples, and they are of franchises which will likely be cross-gen anyway? Don't even expect the next GTA game for another 4 years. Western games may have a growing presence, but it's no where near enough.

The Wii was very much an exception as far as being a home console goes. Most people who bought one were never core gamers to begin with. It missed out on a lot of major Japanese titles, titles that went to the PS3. The PS3, outside of Nintendo games and other key Wii exclusives, was more or less the definitive console last generation. For most core gamers in Japan it was divided into two camps; PS3 as one of them and DS + PSP as the other with the Wii having its own core audience.

If you think the Wii U's current and upcoming software isn't compelling enough to the Japanese, then doesn't that make the PS4's look awful?

You completely missed my point, the PS4 library has both features and games that wont be available on handhelds, Yakuza, Final Fantasy 15, KH3 etc. The Wii U line up is pretty good....if the 3DS did not exist, but because it does exist, they completely overlap. 3D Land/3D World, NSMB 2/NSMB U, Monster Hunter/MH4/MH3, Mario Kart7/Mario Kart U.

The overall Japanese games market has declined quite a bit compared to the last generation. Only the 3DS is selling well on regular basis now. I don't see how that makes the PS4 any better placed though. The PS4 could have used the same amount of support the PS3 had.

This is precisely what was said of the UK marked for the past 2 years, as HW sales were down. The natural knee jerk reaction was that people gave no fucks any longer and just wanted tablets and smartphones, queue in the PS4 and it sets records in the country, and outsells the 360 full year sales in the span of 5 weeks.

There is no competition in Japan for Sony, Wii U is not going to do 12 million like the Wii, it will be lucky to do 4 million. The so called "decline" in Japan has been manipulated to look worse, because people decided that the Wii 12 million user base no longer counted, as if every person out of those 12 million never again, in their lifetime will buy another console.

Even back in 2007 you're forgetting that the majority of the fire was not from the Wii, but from the DS and PSP. I think you are exaggerating the PS3's disadvantages and simply not looking at the real compeition that it had in the handhelds. With 3DS, Vita and its own predecessor, the PS3, the PS4 will have a tough time trying to establish itself.

Between 10 and 20 million? Quite optimistic. As of right now I can't see it doing any better than the PS3.

Exaggerating the PS3s disadvantages!!? PSP, DS and Wii are far stronger competitors than Wii U, Vita and 3DS are, surely you can see that? Then add in the price, add in the difficulty in development for the PS3 and it all piles up.

PS3 is stagnant and has been stagnant in Japan for a while now, Vita is only barely alive in Japan, and 3DS will see lower YOY sales in 2014 because of no major games like Pokemon or MH in Japan.

Every factor says the PS4 will do better than the PS3 in Japan, less competition, easier console to develop for and a better price are all advantages.

rjinaz

All you have to do is go onto Bestbuy.com and you can see they have plenty of Xbox One. Why would people even need to lie lol.

And walmart.com and target.com, and also gamestop.com; at least in Phoenix Xbox One is available everywhere. I can't find a PS4 for the life of me. I went to a few stores just to see what they had in stock, and I didn't see mounds of Xbox Ones, but every place I went to had Xbox Ones in stock nonetheless, but no PS4s.

Microsoft did say that they wanted the Xbox One to be readily available everywhere for launch and it looks like they accomplished that.

KoopaTheCasual

Microsoft is a sinking ship and the public is aware of that. This is exactly what happened to Sega Saturn after launch.

A real shame too I even like the Xbox One better than the PS4 right now since it has KI and Dead Rising 3.
I can rarely distinguish if you're trolling or being sincere. I guess... that's the mark of a great troll, right?

Carnby

7jYXHth.jpg

lol. Bravo!

It's not exactly bucking the trend for me or Japan, but I'm going to go out on a limb that PS4 outsells PS3 and hits Wii numbers, but the entire dedicated home console market there will shrink by 5-6 million units.

I expect WiiU to perform worse overall than the GCN, and Xbox One to track closer to the first Xbox rather than the 360.

quickwhips

Mind sharing your zip code. Not trying to be creepy or calling you a liar, but it would be super easy to check if what you said is true.

Do you only shop at Kmart and nowhere else?

went to best buy and walmart. Walmart had them online but not in store.

TomShoe

Banned

Amazon: Hello, welcome to Amazon HQ.

Me: Any PS4's in stock?

Amazon: Those are back-ordered through August...Want an Xbox instead? (motions to a warehouse full of 1000s)

Me:.............sigh.......no....

The search continues

But back on topic. I've only seen ONE PS4 in person, and that was on the 27th of December last year. X1's are easy to get. I doubt too many people are just going to get an Xbox if they want a PS4. Usually people think for a while before they just decide to drop $400+.

Shin-Ra

Hmm
Code:
Sony's buying all Amazon's stock then selling it back to them!

How do you figure that? It's only been two months and they've sold 3 million consoles. And that's with the $100 price difference between it and the PS4.

Seems to me it's doing just fine.

Neo Ankh

Neo Member
I'm not sure Sony is exactly happy that people can pick up an xbox anywhere but not a PS4. I think they are working hard to correct it actually.

WolvenOne

Sure. But the window of opportunity, judging from recent activity, is one or two minutes long. So someone stepping away from a computer or smartphone for only that amount of time could miss out.

Eh, just keep your eyes open, I've had about 7 opportunities to buy a PS4 since the beginning of December, and I haven't really been trying. Just sign up for Alerts from now in stock, and check the electronics section whenever you go to a store, something will turn up between the two.

Eh, just keep your eyes open, I've had about 7 opportunities to buy a PS4 since the beginning of December, and I haven't really been trying. Just sign up for Alerts from now in stock, and check the electronics section whenever you go to a store, something will turn up between the two.

Yeah, I distinctly remember two periods where was at least 30 minutes of availability. Amazon had them for like 6 hours or something the week before Christmas. I imagine that was a shipment of tens of thousands. I also remember something about one of the Sony execs talking about them selling so many thousand on amazon in 28 minutes or something like that before then too.

edit: found it. 12k in 27 minutes: http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/12/sony-amazon-sold-12000-ps4-systems-less-30-minutes/

I'm not sure Sony is exactly happy that people can pick up an xbox anywhere but not a PS4. I think they are working hard to correct it actually.

Sony is providing as much stock as they can without having to resort to poor long-term strategies [opening up extra production lines that would have to be closed once demand stabilized that can't be easily spun down like the Japanese lines]

Trust me Sony is ecstatic right now but of course they are doing everything they can to provide more stock without negative long-term consequences

gioGAF

Seems like the Gamestop stores in my area are doing full-on MS marketing. They rearranged stock to place MS related items near the entrance (xbone first, followed by 360), all Playstation merchandise is on the back wall only.

Behind the counter you have xbone posters (left and right) along with a bunch of xbone game promo boxes. The entire store is basically green.

Seems like this sort of tactic should help strengthen MS sales in the U.S.

cilonen

Hmm
Code:

Crap, demand is slowing down. That last shipment took 3 minutes to sell out instead of 1. Game over Sony.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Seems like the Gamestop stores in my area are doing full-on MS marketing. They rearranged stock to place MS related items near the entrance (xbone first, followed by 360), all Playstation merchandise is on the back wall only.

Behind the counter you have xbone posters (left and right) along with a bunch of xbone game promo boxes. The entire store is basically green.

No amount of marketing can hide to the average consumer that the PS4 is $100 cheaper.

If all of these anecdotal pictures are indeed adding up and painting a bigger picture, January NPD numbers are going to be hilarious.

Perhaps but it seems Best Buy has gone in an entirely different direction

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96446564#post96446564

There were no XB1's from what I could see on the ground. All of them were stored up for some reason. Not sure what they do with available PS4's as I've never seen one at Best Buy

Emwitus

Gaikai pissed them off

Pretty much and it's not like ppl couldn't see it before launch. Considerably weaker, price, kinect etc. It's like the console was designed by suits who don't know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom