• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

Rodin

not mentioned in the release note:

boost mode for PS4 Pro
higher frame rate for old game which dont have Pro patch
C3vpduoUMAEpU5P.jpg

Come again?

This is probably a silly question... But, how does the system work with an external HDD? Does it read both the internal and external simultaneously so that you see everything from both on the XMB or do you have to choose which drive you are trying to access?

This is probably a silly question... But, how does the system work with an external HDD? Does it read both the internal and external simultaneously so that you see everything from both on the XMB or do you have to choose which drive you are trying to access?

It's in the blog post:

Also, all the applications saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen so it’s easy to keep track of what apps you launched recently.

Caayn

Guys... why would this, if true, unlock a 30 FPS game to go above 30 FPS?

This isn't going to affect Bloodborne or DS3...
This won't magically remove the frame rate cap of a game. It'll, most likely, reduce the amount of drops and severity of the drops.

igniteddesigns

Neo Member
I wonder if I install a 512GB SSD into the PS4 for the likes of the OS, most played games, then have a 4TB USB 3.0 for all the other games, will it be faster?

Has anyone did this on the XB1?

Looking forward till seeing some speed test on DF

I wonder if I install a 512GB SSD into the PS4 for the likes of the OS, most played games, then have a 4TB USB 3.0 for all the other games, will it be faster?

Has anyone did this on the XB1?

Looking forward till seeing some speed test on DF

I don't believe you can replace the internal HDD on the Xbox

Floody

Yay, I've pretty much filled my 1TB HDD and really didn't want to move all that over to a bigger one or delete anything, so I'm really happy for external support. Great to see Pro users are getting some love too, if that actually makes BB a rock solid 30 (or better) I'm buying a Pro way sooner than planned.

bebop242

I have 5 users on my PS4.

Yea some of this stuff is niche use cases but still, lol.

I have a big ass family.

Wait, non PS+ accounts can cloud storage if there is a PS+ account on the system? I thought only accounts with plus can access cloud storage. Or are you saying 5 people all play on the same PSN?

Great too see it finally happening after a recent conversation with some people who said it wasn't possible, due to how the PS4's SATA and USB are connected and it wouldn't allow it, which I always thought was a bit odd.

Is the stock PS4 hdd 3.0? That's what I planned on using if this ever happened.
I replaced it with a 2tb hdd which is, so if it isn't I'm probably going to have to switch them around, which would suck.

crimilde

Banned
Is the stock PS4 hdd 3.0? That's what I planned on using if this ever happened.
I replaced it with a 2tb hdd which is, so if it isn't I'm probably going to have to switch them around, which would suck.

It's connected through SATA, you'd need a USB 3.0 enclosure if you want to use it as an external HDD.

igniteddesigns

Neo Member
I don't believe you can replace the internal HDD on the Xbox

Thanks for the info, I didn't actually know that. Suppose I've never needed to take out the internal hdd in the XB1 as it's supported external drives for a while... Plus I haven't filled it's storage as I only play exclusives on it.

Really looking forward till update :D

SimplexPL

Is there a minimum capacity of the external HDD? Microsoft has that completely moronic 256GB minimum capacity which makes it impossible to hook up a 120 or 240GB SSD to install a couple of games that have long loading times on HDD.

Pls be correct translation.

BOOST MODE
When playing games that were released before the PS4 PRO, frame rate etc might be able to be raised playing games. If any unexpected behaviour occurs during the game, please turn off this option

So yeah, not guaranteed to work but its better than no option.

3D blurays in PSVR is cool but if they haven't fixed the drift in cinema mode or have the player use VR mode to fix the drift then they're going to be really annoying to watch.

I hope the custom wallpapers work like PS3 where you can use it with a theme. I would be awesome to have the Resident Evil anniversary theme with the save room music but with some cool art in the background.

Planet

Boost mode is by miles the best news of the pack, don't care about external HDD because I am fine with my 2TB internal. Blu-ray 3D in VR will also be taken for a test drive for sure. But the first thing I will do is look how boost mode affects PvZ GW2, which I suspect will never get a Pro patch. :]

People expecting 30 FPS -> 60 FPS will be disappointed for sure. But 58 FPS -> 60 FPS should be entirely possible. *_*

Top Bottom