• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 4.06 live

Z3M0G

The system software update improves the quality of the system performance

FcNhhvd.gif

LOL perfect

I'm never tired of the clueless people making fun of firmware updates which likely fix some under the hood stuff.

It reminds me of one of my IT professors who used to say that when you work as admin you should change login screen every two weeks - because then everyone will see you are working hard.

Z3M0G

eab.gif

the quality increase is noticeable!

Funny use of the GIF. OT, but I just wanna comment that it bugs me that someone went through the trouble to make this GIF in the first place... likely as a complaint. It bugs me that stuff like this bugs other people. Clearly the first part of that GIF is zoomed way in...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Does this fix the 4k TV connection drama?

Doesn't look like it.....I just contacted Support to find out as i'm one of the many affected. Here is the chat convo:

Me: Hello, quick question.....PS4 firmware 4.06 that just came out, does it fix the PS4 Pro HDCP issues that have been affecting LG, and other manufacturer sets? The patch notes don't really say what it does

Jose: Thank you for your patience my friend. I know that this must be important to you and we will be more than glad to help you as much as we can!

Jose: Allow me a moment while I look up for detailed information

Me: Ok, thank you!

Jose: Still looking my friend. Almost done.

Me: No problem

Jose: Thank you for waiting. I was checking on the update details

Jose: It seems that the update has been release to boost the console's performance.

Jose: Basically, boosts rendering. However, it does not contain specific details about HDCP issues.

So he doesn't even seem sure.....guess we need someone who has the issue who has 4.06 to try to see if it's fixed.

Quality or Stability are one thing - what I would actually like my PS4 to do is be updated when I see a thread on Gaf saying an update is live. I think it's only ever happened once. Yes all the boxes are ticked for it to do it - it just never seems to. Same way it won't update games you haven't played in a while. I call BS. If I want to have a goddamn backlog I want them to be up to date Sony. This annoys me more than it should lol

But the updates should be pushed immediately for all that is holy. I now turn on my PS4 to see if it's done what it supposed to only to be disappointed when the little notification says update has been added to downloads - mothertrucker you were in Rest Mode for the last 20 hours or something - Just Do It!

Agreed. Needs to be fixed and my biggest problem with the 4 right now.

rawd

Doesn't look like it.....I just contacted Support to find out as i'm one of the many affected. Here is the chat convo:

Me: Hello, quick question.....PS4 firmware 4.06 that just came out, does it fix the PS4 Pro HDCP issues that have been affecting LG, and other manufacturer sets? The patch notes don't really say what it does

Jose: Thank you for your patience my friend. I know that this must be important to you and we will be more than glad to help you as much as we can!

Jose: It seems that the update has been release to boost the console's performance.

Jose: Basically, boosts rendering. However, it does not contain specific details about HDCP issues.

So he doesn't even seem sure.....guess we need someone who has the issue who has 4.06 to try to see if it's fixed.

You spoke to him the whole time and never dropped a 'No way Jose'? Amateurs

Kyoufu

Every time I boot up Destiny I get a "Destiny has downloaded" notification. I hope this fixes that.

edit: nope, not fixed

LordOfChaos

" Basically, boosts rendering. " ?

I mean, 99% he was just reading the same release notes we did, but I do wonder what has been going on behind the scenes with the SDK and stuff, ever since the 7th core partial unlock leak.

Kremzeek

Is this a PS4 problem or a TV manufacturer problem?

I have the HDCP issue with my Samsung 8000.
I fixed it (I think) by turning off HDCP in System Settings on the Pro.
I had no issues with my OGPS4 that was hooked up to the same input.

I noticed Samsung pushed an update to my TV this morning- wonder if it addresses this?...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LG have admitted the HDCP fault is theirs and a fix will arrive by the end of November.

Was this recent? As of a couple days ago when I contacted them for an update on the situation, I was told "our engineers are working with Sony on a fix for this, and Microsoft had a similar issue with Xbox One and they were who put out a firmware fix to correct it".

To me that sounds like LG is working with Sony so Sony can put out a firmware update. Makes more sense too seeing as this issue is widespread and not just an LG issue.

PSVR also has a problem with it.
It is probably because the system sees the end of chain bring the TV.

If I put a stripper between the PU and the TV and a PSVR blackout/audio issue occurs - the signal is still sent to the social screen via the PU as HDCP is stripped from the signal.

If I remove the stripper, the social screen reflects the issue along with the PSVR.

Just my anecdotal testing.

goonergaz

Is there anyone can link me to the full 900mb version of 4.06, I can't find it anywhere...even the Sony website is linking to 4.05 - wouldn't be so bad if my PS4 would let me do 4.05 then upgrade, but it won't!

(FTR I'm upgrading HDD so need the file onto USB)

edit - found it

Runtime updates that fix several issues that only indirectly impact users so it makes no sense to detail it for them.

I still want to know about that! I own the machine and they put new toys in it, shouldn't I still be given some type of hint or at least a cross word puzzle that points me in the direction of where the master key is?

holygeesus

Banned
Was this recent? As of a couple days ago when I contacted them for an update on the situation, I was told "our engineers are working with Sony on a fix for this, and Microsoft had a similar issue with Xbox One and they were who put out a firmware fix to correct it".

To me that sounds like LG is working with Sony so Sony can put out a firmware update. Makes more sense too seeing as this issue is widespread and not just an LG issue.

Yes today

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...-tv-connection-woes-lg-responds/#67d500974719

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mine didn't update for over a month, finally did update but only after I bought a Pro :>

lol held hostage

But nah. Mine still broken after I moved to the pro. Hasn't updated since the last week of October.

Actually that's not 100% accurate. It doesn't show my ow activities. But it seems to selectively show some (but not all) of my friends activities.

Fisty

lol held hostage

But nah. Mine still broken after I moved to the pro. Hasn't updated since the last week of October.

Actually that's not 100% accurate. It doesn't show my ow activities. But it seems to selectively show some (but not all) of my friends activities.

Yeah my feed was stuck on like Oct 12, I had no updates. Had that stupid bearded COD guy face on there for weeks.

MIMF

Maybe I am dreaming but I would swear that after the update my Pro has a much more stable/flat noise from the fan, not continuously up and down as it was before.

Top Bottom