• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

Synth

Jokes? The face in that demo was made up like 100,000 polys(entire models in current gen games will hardly hit this number) and had more bones in the face than you would see in 360/PS3 character faces.

The old man, like MGS2 character models, just shows that the guys who made them are great at the trade and were ahead of their time. Technically the old man face demo takes this out back and beats it to death.

I also don't recall anything fucking with Reiko Nagase's hair that gen either.

image_297745_620.jpg

That said though, I do expect QD to hit their target, as they have always done so before (their tech demos are set more in game like scenarios, rather than an isolated displays of tech).

charsace

I also don't recall anything fucking with Reiko Nagase's hair that gen either.

image_297745_620.jpg

That said though, I do expect QD to hit their target, as they have always done so before (their tech demos are set more in game like scenarios, rather than an isolated displays of tech).

Whenever I see a tech demo I never expect the system that's running it to equal it and I always expect certain things in the tech demo to take a while to reach. Does anyone remember the tech demos that came out for the xbox, Geforce 3, and ATI 9000?

Synth

Whenever I see a tech demo I never expect the system that's running it to equal it and I always expect certain things in the tech demo to take a while to release. Does anyone remember the tech demos that came out for the xbox, Geforce 3, and ATI 9000?

I generally don't expect tech demo's to be equalled if the scope of the demo is limited to the extent that a game couldn't be contained within it. QD's demos generally involved an entire scene, and enough characters to be comparable with what would be required for the game itself. Combine that with the fact that playing the games themselves is often not too dissimilar to toggling a tech demos animations, and I don't see anything unrealistic with them.

The Xbox Raven demo was some hilarious BS btw... MotorStorm CG tier.

charsace

I generally don't expect tech demo's to be equalled if the scope of the demo is limited to the extent that a game couldn't be contained within it. QD's demos generally involved an entire scene, and enough characters to be comparable with what would be required for the game itself. Combine that with the fact that playing the games themselves is often not too dissimilar to toggling a tech demos animations, and I don't see anything unrealistic with them.

The Xbox Raven demo was some hilarious BS btw... MotorStorm CG tier.

Nvidia Dawn demos were scenes and the PS3 Killzone trailer was supposed to be real time gameplay.

Synth

Nvidia Dawn demos were scenes and the PS3 Killzone trailer was supposed to be real time gameplay.

I recall Dawn being a tree branch with one fairy on it. Not really comparable to QD's demos at all.

As for Killzone... that doesn't count as a tech demo. That sits neatly in the "absolute BS" pile. The PS3 was never doing that realtime in a game or not.

EDIT: I forgot about New Dawn. I actually think that could be done however for a game like QD's, if it was targeting only high-end PCs.

The animation and lighting is great. This one is a fixed perspective tech demo meaning there's a small scene to cram with lots of detail. It works for very linear 'moviegames' with lots of fixed perspectives or when the game is made up from very small scenes/maps loaded at any given time.
It reminds me of how cinematics are done with fixed perspectives using very little geometry with the scene crafted with the fixed perspectives in mind.
Well, that certainly wasn't the case with their two previous games, both improving on their respective tech demos a good deal. In fact Beyond had a free camera mode available 90% of the time:

www64benk.gif

www2i7f2p.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jokes? The face in that demo was made up like 100,000 polys(entire models in current gen games will hardly hit this number) and had more bones in the face than you would see in 360/PS3 character faces
So what? In the end it looked and animated worse, which meant that the power was misused. You could create an even worse looking model with a hundred times more polygons and bones. It's not really how much you use, but how they are used, and what else more important can be done with rendering power when it's not wasted on something unnecessary that can't be seen anyway.

Ha! The Quantic Dream's game won't look anything like this.
It'll probably look better than this, they always surpass their tech demo's

I am more curious about how the acrual game will compare to the demo.

Heavy Rain was fairly similar in theme and style to its original demo, "the casting".

However, this was not the case with the follow-up "Beyond: Two Souls", which was totally different from the "Kara" demo shown before it.

I hope QD retains the fantasy setting with its new title.

charsace

So what? In the end it looked and animated worse, which meant that the power was misused. You could create an even worse looking model with a hundred times more polygons and bones. It's not really how much you use, but how they are used, and what else more important can be done with rendering power when it's not wasted on something unnecessary that can't be seen anyway.

It didn't look or animate worse than anything that the PS2/Xbox/Game Cube could do. The mouth moved pretty well and had animated jowls and other small details that you wouldn't see in faces from that gen. It looks bad when compared to facial animation on the PS3/360 due to better blend shapes and the use of shaders and of course people learning how to better place bones and better facial topology.

Games won't look like this on anything. The same way the PS2 had things like the face demo which no game could match.

Whenever I see a tech demo I never expect the system that's running it to equal it and I always expect certain things in the tech demo to take a while to reach. Does anyone remember the tech demos that came out for the xbox, Geforce 3, and ATI 9000?
I guess that's fair enough most of the time. But I do think it is kinda unfair to QD not taking their history of improving on their tech demos into account. People said the exact same thing about their PS3 demos when they were released. They never misled with their demos and since they already said their next game will strive to look better than Sorcerer I see no reason to doubt them this time.

A quick reminder how they improved their technology since 2006:

2006 (The Casting - Tech Demo on PS3)

2010 (Heavy Rain - Game on PS3)

2011 (Kara - Tech Demo on PS3)

2013 (Beyond - Game on PS3)

2013 (Old Man - Tech Demo on PS4)

2013 (The Dark Sorcerer - Tech Demo on PS4)

Click to enlarge. No bullshots. All realtime.

Synth

I guess that's fair enough most of the time. But I do think it is kinda unfair to QD not taking their history of improving on their tech demos into account. People said the exact same thing about their PS3 demos when they were released. They never misled with their demos and since they already said their next game will strive to look better than Sorcerer I see no reason to doubt them this time.

Yup, QD are one of the few cases where the team has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to tech demos.

I am more curious about how the acrual game will compare to the demo.

Heavy Rain was fairly similar in theme and style to its original demo, "the casting".

However, this was not the case with the follow-up "Beyond: Two Souls", which was totally different from the "Kara" demo shown before it.

I hope QD retains the fantasy setting with its new title.

I'd rather they keep the comedy than the fantasy setting, just because it seems QD's games all take themselves a bit too seriously, but if they could manage both, that would be amazing.

Comedy is a lot harder than drama. Do you think David Cage can pull that off?
The first few minutes of Sorcerer and some of the comedic relief elements in Fahrenheit certainly convinced me that he can probably combine both to a satisfying degree. But comedy only would require some serious effort to make it worthwhile for 10 hours, especially since you always move forward in his games. High risk of repetition or wasting time creating unfunny stuff, a risk that Cage seems aware of. On top of that their established audience is just high enough to make a nice profit, changing it completely to a different genre might create some financial problems as well. Not to mention that Sony, despite their push for creativity, would probably have some objections as well before they would greenlight a $30 million comedy game.

QD's next game won't be comedy (only) as they already said. I expect it to be less dramatic though than Heavy Rain and Beyond, but still serious overall. I think they might attempt comedy at some point with an episodic game though. Certainly much easier. Also who knows what the other two writers working with Cage full time are going to contribute.

Top Bottom