• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/XB1 ports of PS3/360 games that are emphatically NOT remasters or remakes.

theclaw135

Banned
Knowing the overuse of the word "remaster" this gen, what isn't?
Definitions may vary, but it can be taken to mean textures/effects/models, and the framelock lock (if any), are left unchanged. Any resolution improvements only due to differences in platform holder policies.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Good point. Tacking on PC version assets doesn't count as remastering, they're already there.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Burnout Paradise just got a higher resolution. Did you know all PC games are "remasters"?

Good idea for a thread. I think quick x86 "PC conversions" with slight tweaks to .ini settings may become even more prevalent as publishers decide to monetise their back catalogue this generation as much as possible before it ends. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as both the PS5 and Xbox Two look like they will be backwards compatible with this gen and lots of content from last gen is well worth carrying forwards, warts and all. If you don't like it, don't buy it. As long as it's all priced correctly, then this can be a good thing.

Edit: The BioShock Collection gets a pass from me because it contained modified versions of the first two games and an ultra-late-gen release (BI) running at native 1080p and 60fps (most of the time). As an added note from a BioShock fan: The BioShock Collection is best experienced on an Xbox One X FYI as it improves the anisotropic texture filtering by brute force. I own a copy of it for both the PS4 and Xbox One and when running it on the X it's by far the definitive way to experience that release on console (the PS4 version has lower texture filtering than even the base Xbox One does and the X removes the minor frame rate drops the OG Xbone had). Of course if you have a modest gaming rig, then PC is the overall best way to experience the games and in that case, I'd recommend doing the 60fps physics mods to the original BioShocks instead of playing the remaster by Blind Squirrel. Sorry for the novel :p

Last edited:
=Besides DmC Definitive Edition and DMC4 SE are any of Capcom's actually remasters?

God of War III Remastered

Injustice Gods Among Us: Ultimate Edition

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, they added that "soft engine" to make models look sharper, but that was it.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Activison pulled some fake remaster crap with stuff like Prototype, that was actually worse than original, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Was Tomb Raider Definitive Edition actually a remaster, or just the PC version with a new Lara face?

I've seen Grand Theft Auto V called a remaster, even though it was being made as a cross gen game from the beginning (PS4 version was even confirmed by data hackers of last gen version).

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition

Dishonored Definitive Edition

Dark Souls Remastered is looking to not actually be a remaster, at least the Switch version.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I just see them as ports
Games released before on newer consoles with improved Res and graphics and they was just ports.
Marketing.

Top Bottom