• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Xbox One Sunday Retail Stock Check: December 15-25

Status
Not open for further replies.
My district had about 1100 PS4's starting sunday morning. By the time I got there around 5pm sunday to work the late shift the district was down to less then 200 and several stores had completely sold out. Xbox was completely stocked at every store. Xbox is selling well but the demand on the PS4 is through the roof.

So what can we expect December NPDs to look like? Pretty even with the slight edge to the xbone ?
notsureifserious.gif

KoopaTheCasual

notsureifserious.gif

MS is/was stuffing the US channels, and the picture we had in early December looked way different from the picture we have now. MS definitely (from anecdotal evidence on GAF) seemed to be supplying way heavier than Sony, but now the tables have turned. It seems like after pushing Middle East and Asia launch, Sony is back to stuffing NA+EU with lots of force. There's really no way to tell atm, who will come out on top this month. Especially with an entire week left of sales.

Regardless of, who 'wins', I'm just really excited to see how much next gen hardware gets pushed out in total. Pretty tired of the "consoles am doomed!" speak and happy to see these companies blazing out of the gates.

turnbuckle

No idea what to expect from NPD. It's kind of an unprecedented situation - 2 console launches, both selling at a pace that'd be a record any other generation's launch, one with supply issues, one with possible oversupply issues.

I'm thinking the XB1 will sell more solely because of supply, but I can't know for sure if the supply is more because of overstuffing (which seemed to not be possible a few months ago) or due to a lack of demand.

While I was out doing some last minute Christmas shopping yesterday I noticed that Best Buy had a good number of PS4s and Xbones on display for sale. The PS4's had post it notes on them numbered up to 40, so I'm assuming that means they had 40 allocated to sell on that day. When I arrived there it was about 4:30PM or so and they had about 10 PS4's and ~20 Xbones for sale, which was surprising (especially the PS4s being available) but I guess they must have just put them out to sell on that day. I didn't buy one, but felt I should share this here..

Zachi

Banned
MS is/was stuffing the US channels, and the picture we had in early December looked way different from the picture we have now. MS definitely (from anecdotal evidence on GAF) seemed to be supplying way heavier than Sony, but now the tables have turned. It seems like after pushing Middle East and Asia launch, Sony is back to stuffing NA+EU with lots of force. There's really no way to tell atm, who will come out on top this month. Especially with an entire week left of sales.

Regardless of, who 'wins', I'm just really excited to see how much next gen hardware gets pushed out in total. Pretty tired of the "consoles am doomed!" speak and happy to see these companies blazing out of the gates.

anecdotal evidence? or more wishful thinking? because anecdotal evidence I hear is that Xbone demand is slowing considerably after launch

ptuck874

went into gamestop today, had sign on door said xbones in stock, asked about ps4, nothing available (mechanicsville va gamestop)

No idea what to expect from NPD. It's kind of an unprecedented situation - 2 console launches, both selling at a pace that'd be a record any other generation's launch, one with supply issues, one with possible oversupply issues.

"Oversupply issues" is easily the most polite way I've ever heard someone refer to something not selling fast enough.

I mean, I can see what you're driving at with it - the idea that they retracted into the US/UK out of fear of losing their base markets and have been pouring far more stock into them - but it's still just funny to see such a... "politically correct" way of expressing it.

The X-Box One isn't a large system, its parts just have comfortable headroom!

Racer1977

That's what I'm thinking. With the recent huge amazon stock right before christmas and then another planned right after. I think Sony can easily pull off a million this month.

Are there big post Christmas sales in NA, like Boxing Day in the UK. Must admit I totally dismissed this period, thinking a/ There wouldn't be any stock and b/ Just how many shop at this time of year?

Polo67

LOL. It shows that PS4 is much more higher in demand for gamers than Xbox One is.

The xbone has the same amount of demand as the PS4. The only difference is MS out shipped that demand so it appears they are not selling well. There's two sides to every coin.

Into

Where does the "better stuffing the channels" argument even come from? Is it because we see seemingly more Xbox One's in stores than PS4s that we assume it is because MS is better able to stock units?

I can certainly see how that could make sense, but a more realistic explanation seems to me is that demand is that much lower for the Xbox One, which would hardly be surprising considering all the factors including the higher price. Its a way to conclude/assume the system on shelves is doing better than the system that is typically sold out, which is strange in and out of itself.

Because i kid you not, we had the exact same argument last year, when anecdotal evidence of pictures of stocked Wii U's everywhere were brushed aside as "Nintendo is better able to stock up on units and meet the demand".

Sony launched earlier in NA than MS, sold more units, launched in far more markets than the Xbox One did, and we are suppose to believe that MS is outproducing Sony in regards to manufacturing these consoles?

All i am posting is speculation, and anyone who is reading this is more than welcome to whip this post (and my other one) in next NPD and mock me if i am wrong, which is certainly a possibility. But with everything ive observed, reports, online players in various games, anecdotal evidence from countless people on countless forums, online polls/surveys, Amazon charts for nearly 3-4 months, i feel pretty confident saying: I think the PS4 will outsell the Xbox One in the next NPD. By what metric is dare not even speculate.

kasane

The xbone has the same amount of demand as the PS4. The only difference is MS out shipped that demand so it appears they are not selling well. There's two sides to every coin.

But when PS4 restocks they are immediately sold out. So thats that

Boke1879

Are there big post Christmas sales in NA, like Boxing Day in the UK. Must admit I totally dismissed this period, thinking a/ There wouldn't be any stock and b/ Just how many shop at this time of year?

Not sure, but I think amazon was saying they would have more in stock on the 28th. I'm assuming Sony is doing one last push at the end of the month.

ps3ud0

When will we see figures from other competitve markets? NPD is all well and good, but its only part of the picture...

Get the feeling that MS might win the battle but lose the war quicker if they hadnt been so myopic

ps3ud0 8)

KoopaTheCasual

anecdotal evidence? or more wishful thinking? because anecdotal evidence I hear is that Xbone demand is slowing considerably after launch

??? The anecdotes (early this month) were that retailers said they got shipments of Xbox Ones more frequently than PS4. There's really no way to spin that. Sure PS4 demand is always higher, but I see December as a battle of MS focusing supply on US, vs Sony's unparalleled demand.

Of course more recently, the past week and beyond, PS4 shipments have been massive, gearing up for the holidays. No way to really calculate if these big shipments were enough to tip the scale in Sony's favor, so it's anyone's guess. Some think the shipments put Sony way out in front, others think it wasn't enough. There's not enough hard data to prove one way or the other. There is Thuway's report of Sony averaging 250k per week in the US, but as much as I love the guy, his record is a bit spotty.

Honestly, I just don't want to assume one way or the other and look foolish in retrospect :)

Boke1879

Look how long it took amazon to sell out of playstations. Almost a day . I wouldn't call that "immediate" partner.

I'm sure we can assume they got in a huge shipment. Every PS4 whether it was normal SKU or bundle sold out faster than the regular Xbone.

All anecdotal evidence actually points to the PS4 shipping more and selling more. Personally, I have had almost a dozen stores tell me as such.

When will we see figures from other competitve markets? NPD is all well and good, but its only part of the picture...

Get the feeling that MS might win the battle but lose the war quicker if they hadnt been so myopic

ps3ud0 8)

To be honest? Probably not until March. PAL numbers are usually only good for software, and not great even then, and there's basically no available tracking for Asian markets other than Japan. There's no real way to extrapolate worldwide numbers as a result, so we get them either as a result of PR announcements or investor calls.

Biker19

Banned
They're both selling out, so don't see how Sony's retail strategy is a problem. Microsoft is focusing on retaining their only decent markets, while Sony is trying to lock down the rest of the world while Microsoft is preoccupied. It sounds like you only have a problem with Sony's strategy because you are putting undue weight on winning the USA at all costs.

This. America =/= The world, people. You need more than U.S. sales to win.

demigod

Edit: I know several Best Buy's in my area keep the PS4/Xbox's behind customer service and you have to ask for them. They are doing this due to theft in gaming being very high this time of year.

Who the hell just walks out of a store with a huge ass box?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Obviously anecdotal but -

My gamestop got ~25 PS4s in last week in a couple shipments. Each time they would sell out within a day. We are flooded with Xbox Ones, and only sell ~2-3 a day at best. They're moving slowly enough that we actually moved some stock to the only store in our district that is selling them at a fast pace (a mall). We get tons of calls and walk-ins asking for the PS4. At least in my area demand for the PS4 far outstrips the Xbox One.

While I fully expect MS to take the December NPD, I think it's going to be a lot closer than people are expecting, and from the looks of things that I'm seeing, their demand is already waning and its not simply due to oversupply.

Butane123

Had to do some last minute shopping in Tulsa, OK today. Went to a Target where they had 1 Xbox One, and had just gotten in a shipment of PS4s (I'd say over a dozen) and were putting them on the shelves.

ps3ud0

To be honest? Probably not until March. PAL numbers are usually only good for software, and not great even then, and there's basically no available tracking for Asian markets other than Japan. There's no real way to extrapolate worldwide numbers as a result, so we get them either as a result of PR announcements or investor calls.
Ahh I wasnt aware of that, thanks for the info :). Can understand why NPD is eagerly awaited if its the only regular metric - helps its probably the most interesting region regards to XO/PS4 sales...

ps3ud0 8)

My gamestop got ~25 PS4s in last week in a couple shipments. Each time they would sell out within a day. We are flooded with Xbox Ones, and only sell ~2-3 a day at best. They're moving slowly enough that we actually moved some stock to the only store in our district that is selling them at a fast pace (a mall). We get tons of calls and walk-ins asking for the PS4. At least in my area demand for the PS4 far outstrips the Xbox One.

While I fully expect MS to take the December NPD, I think it's going to be a lot closer than people are expecting, and from the looks of things that I'm seeing, their demand is already waning and its not simply due to oversupply.

but the demand is the same!!!!!!

Abdiel

Hey guys, I've been checking the stock numbers for the big best buy stores up here in the NH MA ME district, and Sunday we got 1100 or so Ps4 in, and they were gone by that afternoon. The Xboxes haven't sold out in our district for a few weeks now. Not just because of shipments... but because there's always units left over when the next shipment comes in. The pacing of sales is not the same, and anyone saying they are is not working in retail. Different districts might see different slant, but company wide, the Ps4 demand and sales outflow is much higher.

coldfoot

Banned

But you said this a few weeks ago?
If you want a xbone, now is the time to grab one. These things are going to disappear in seconds. MS steady supply stream will eventually be outstripped by demand.

Why do you think the Xbone to win December NPD.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Why do you think the Xbone to win December NPD.

Sony's lack of large supply in the first couple weeks of the month. I think the sheer amount of Xbones that MS has been flooding the US with will be enough to give it the edge. But the (seemingly) waning demand will result in a far smaller divide than I think many of us were expecting.

Of course this is just my view based on what I'm seeing in my district but it does match up with what other posters have said about supply and demand.

Look how long it took amazon to sell out of playstations. Almost a day . I wouldn't call that "immediate" partner.

v64aNp3.png

credit

We have no insider or official proof that the Xbox One outshipped. Hell, that sounds stupid just thinking about it. Just accept it that they are selling pretty well, but the demand for a gaming console is largely for the PS4.

EDIT: There's no such thing as out shipped either.

Hawk269

But when PS4 restocks they are immediately sold out. So thats that

But the restocks are not that large versus the Xbox One's restocks. It is not that hard to sell out when a store gets 3-9 pieces on inventory for a hot item. From the few stores I visit, when they get let's say 20 PS4's, they usually get double that amount of Xbox One's. My local best buy on Sunday had 50 PS4's, but over 100 Xbox Ones. PS4's did not sell out in one day as well, they still had some stock as of today.

The real test will come in February, when both will be on the shelf and with deeper stock levels. But for December, MS has definitely been able to supply retailers a lot more stock of Xbox One's versus Sony and the PS4.

JoRo

Today at the Walmart I work at, they found some in the back and were like "We need to put these out, they'll be gone in minutes." When I left at 6 this evening there were 2 PS4s left on the shelf and the shelf for the One was full of them. My guess is a lot of people just assumed the PS4 would be sold out or it's already too close to Christmas so they ended up with something else for gifts.

SPDIF

But you said this a few weeks ago?

It's quite sad how you seem to routinely trawl through people's post history just to make pointless posts such as that. Unless it's at Amir0x levels of out-right lying and trying to cover up past behaviours (nothing against Amir0x, just the biggest example over the years), why does it matter? Do you really care that someone's bias may have lead them to contradict themselves? Really? Do you think if I were to search through your post history over the years you'd come up clean? That tag you had a few weeks ago seems to have gone to your head.

jeremy1456

Visiting my parents out of town at Coos Bay OR. Went to the Walmart and saw this:

Asked a guy working there and he said they still have tons of PS4s in the back too. Just a heads up for anyone looking for one.

Also, they had a few Xbox Ones as well.

Pretty much the same story everywhere I've been today.

CuznLarry

Banned
I don't understand where this 'MS is greatly outshipping Sony' line came from, it's absolutely not the case. Only a few days ago had we received any Xbox One systems this december, and no, they don't sell nearly as fast as the PS4.

demigod

I don't understand where this 'MS is greatly outshipping Sony' line came from, it's absolutely not the case. Only a few days ago had we received any Xbox One systems this december, and no, they don't sell nearly as fast as the PS4.

Well it is true though. Sony has other markets to ship while MS is focusing all of their stock in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom