• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Because there is nothing to protest of EA. EA doesn't make the decision, EA lobbies for it.

And we are lobbying also. Sony is the one who decides one way or the other and is who the focus should be on.

Lobbying a company that never intended to implement anti used DRM if ZOMG is to be believed?

Great strategy, I guess.

Remember it all started because FM heard Sony were on the fence, so we did it to try and show them our views on it.

Fair enough, but as I argued previously. The campaign should have focused on both from the very start so as to ensure the message was clear. Now if ZOMG is to be believed, people focused on a company that never intended to implement any anti used DRM.

If EA and MS are already having an affair walking in on them fucking won't stop it in the long run.

Just like a public outcry didn't change MS' stance on persistent online? Oh wait...

So wait, if that's true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't as you feel confident enough to share, this entire campaign has been misdirected/focused on the wrong company from the very start?

I'm sure Microsoft is watching very closely what is going on.

Especially if this could provide Sony with a free PR boost.

Salaadin

The way I see it is that Sony haven't had a used game locking system in place ever, but after seeing the EA/MS relationship were looking at putting one in, then saw the backlash and had second thoughts. That would fit.

Again, he works for a third party publisher, so his information is third hand and we should take it with a grain of salt. He even told me this in the morning.

Ahh ok. Yeah. All that would make sense too.
Damn. I dont know what to think but Im feeling pretty impatient now.

If this is true, the Sony execs must LOVE this twitter movement you guys all started.

We pretty much gave them free PR. They can come out at E3 and thank us and make us feel great....all the while knowing that they never planned DRM to begin with. XD

It kinda does. It was a waste of time/resources/effort that could have been focused on MS, who, you know, actually announced anti used DRM.

For all we know Sony was entertaining the thought of adding DRM and/or online authentication and this campaign swayed them back to the path of Truth. We'll likely never know. The campaign was a resounding success either way. We made our voices heard and our voices were fucking loud. That almost certainly surprised them, not to mention Microsoft, Acticision and EA.

KurowaSan

If this is true, the Sony execs must LOVE this twitter movement you guys all started.

hmmm...

inception+meme.png

Hindsight is always 20/20, amirite? But it's not over by a longshot. Not until E3.

It's not really about hindsight. The fact that people were arguing that we shouldn't focus or even mention MS so as to not dilute the message or send it off course speaks volumes about what was really going in this thread.

pretty disgusting to see that this essentially boiled down to a 'fuck you, so long as I got mine' attitude with regards to consumer rights.

For all we know Sony was entertaining the thought of adding DRM and/or online authentication and this campaign swayed them back to the path of Truth. We'll likely never know. The campaign was a resounding success either way. We made our voices heard and our voices were fucking loud. That almost certainly surprised them, not to mention Microsoft, Acticision and EA.

That's certainly an interesting way to spin this if ZOMG is right.

Drencrom

So I got an interesting message from the same person as earlier from the third party publisher. He has this information third hand and I'll paraphrase to save time.

Says Sony have never had any used game or online controls. EA's special relationship with MS is a result of this stance from Sony. However all EA games will be on PS4 anyway, but EA and MS are going to step up marketing for Xbone and give (timed?) exclusive DLC/content. His conjecture is that Sony didn't want to spell out their policy until E3 to capitalise on any backlash at MS.

Again, this is third hand information, but he is adamant that Sony never approached his employer with any kind of used game lock proposition and his friends at other publishers say the same.

Good, guess I'll be boycotting EA games just like I did this gen then.

It's not really about hindsight. The fact that people were arguing that we shouldn't focus or even mention MS so as to not dilute the message or send it off course speaks volumes about what was really going in this thread.

pretty disgusting to see that this essentially boiled down to a 'fuck you, so long as I got mine' attitude with regards to consumer rights..

Nope.

MogCakes

pretty disgusting to see that this essentially boiled down to a 'fuck you, so long as I got mine' attitude with regards to consumer rights.
Sure, criticize all you like. I don't see most of us here having that attitude you're insinuating, but your post history here doesn't indicate that you'd change your mind about it.

So I got an interesting message from the same person as earlier from the third party publisher. He has this information third hand and I'll paraphrase to save time.

Says Sony have never had any used game or online controls. EA's special relationship with MS is a result of this stance from Sony. However all EA games will be on PS4 anyway, but EA and MS are going to step up marketing for Xbone and give (timed?) exclusive DLC/content. His conjecture is that Sony didn't want to spell out their policy until E3 to capitalise on any backlash at MS.

Again, this is third hand information, but he is adamant that Sony never approached his employer with any kind of used game lock proposition and his friends at other publishers say the same.

Would make sense , EA was close to Sony then all of sudden MS getting timed / exclusive DLC .
Fuck EA like usual .

You're insinuating that this was a bunch of Sony fans gathering together to do... what, exactly? Sabotage MS?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

You've already tried peddling that BS in this thread.

Woffls

So wait, if that's true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't as you feel confident enough to share, this entire campaign has been misdirected/focused on the wrong company from the very start?
Microsoft wouldn't have budged. When we all end up buying PS4s, Microsoft will damn sure know why after all this.

So...start a rumor that you're "considering" always online.

Somehow hope that a member of a very popular forum starts a movement.

Said forum member does activate a movement.

Said movement is popular and spreads to the mainstream media.

Have Sony execs comment on said movement and be very vague, but give a vibe of "It'shappening.jpg"

Use said movement for, literally, free PR with zero effort on your end.

Then after all said and done, it turns out you never wanted DRM or block used games.

Good god, MASTERFUL trolling. Some Machiavelli type shit.

MogCakes

Have Sony execs comment on said movement and be very vague, but give a vibe of "It'shappening.jpg"

Then after all said and done, it turns out you never wanted DRM or block used games.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit

You're insinuating that this was a bunch of Sony fans gathering together to do... what, exactly? Sabotage MS?

No. I've been clear in my posts. The selective fighting for consumer rights is what annoys. As I also stated from my first post in here, you don't focus on the company that doesn't have an announced plan, you focus on the one that does.

If MS is able to gain a foothold with their anti used DRM garbage, it will eventually reach the PS4. The idea behind a movement like this is surely to focus on everyone attempting to erode consumer rights, not just those who might be willing to listen.

Fun fact. They are all willing to listen if the backlash/outcry is loud and strong enough.

I dont think it was that at all. We are dealing with whispers and third hand information at the end of the day. I think many believed and still believe that Sony was the easier and more likely target. The way the Xbox was revealed seems like this was built into the system on a very deep level and not something removed at the 11th hour.

Regardless the Adam orth and sim city contraversies should have provided Microsoft with enough feedback about onilne drm and they still annouced it. Its kinda hard to try and convince someone of something if you know they have been watching peoples reactions and did the same thing anyway.

Right. Let's get something straight. Please don't use me or my posts to attack people in this thread.

Firstly, this campaign started out as a plea to Sony not to infest the PS4 with used game DRM on inside information received that they were wavering on the decision. That would naturally attract people looking to buy a PS4 more than any other users on GAF. It's why you see so many names in here that you see in other Sony related threads.

Next, the Xbox dudes decided to have their own stab at it, the thread has ~ 280 posts and is no longer active. If the Xbox buyers couldn't organise or didn't have the belief that what they were doing was going to make a difference then don't blame that on people in this thread.

Finally, your attitude stinks. This thread has been about ensuring Sony make the right moves in relation to DRM, it has been that way from the beginning, again because of the insider tip we received on Monday.

If you want to put the blame on someone's shoulders that Xbox One hasn't had the same attention from a Twitter campaign, you need to look in the mirror. It is Xbox buyers like yourself and others on GAF who failed to organise after the reveal.
It seems to me you guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

Exactly. It's just one guy from a third party who may or may not have the info we want. All he knows is that his employer hasn't been sounded out for used game lockouts by Sony. He doesn't work for EA. We need to keep the pressure up and continue the campaign.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
No. I've been clear in my posts. The selective fighting for consumer rights is what annoys. As I also stated from my first post in here, you don't focus on the company that doesn't have an announced plan, you focus on the one that does.

If MS is able to gain a foothold with their anti used DRM garbage, it will eventually reach the PS4. The idea behind a movement like this is surely to focus on everyone attempting to erode consumer rights, not just those who might be willing to listen.

Fun fact. They are all willing to listen if the backlash/outcry is loud and strong enough.

Well, it's never too late, 11 days til E3. Any plans?

Who are the 'people'? Because this thread is past 100 pages and has thousands of posts.

So I guess that would mean what I expected from the Xbone reveal, all big EA games like Fifa and madden will be pushed to seem like xbox franchises like COD.
Okay, i think he's just trying to troll so i'll just ignore him. Ahem.
It's pretty transparent yes.

I dont think it was that at all. We are dealing with whispers and third hand information at the end of the day. I think many believed and still believe that Sony was the easier and more likely target. The way the Xbox was revealed seems like this was built into the system on a very deep level and not something removed at the 11th hour.

Regardless the Adam orth and sim city contraversies should have provided Microsoft with enough feedback about onilne drm and they still annouced it. Its kinda hard to try and convince someone of something if you know they have been watching peoples reactions and did the same thing anyway.

MS changed their stance after the Orth backlash, this shows they are willing to listen if the backlash/outcry is loud enough.

Right. Let's get something straight. Please don't use me or my posts to attack people in this thread.

Firstly, this campaign started out as a plea to Sony not to infest the PS4 with used game DRM on inside information received that they were wavering on the decision. That would naturally attract people looking to buy a PS4 more than any other users on GAF. It's why you see so many names in here that you see in other Sony related threads.

Next, the Xbox dudes decided to have their own stab at it, the thread has ~ 280 posts and is no longer active. If the Xbox buyers couldn't organise or didn't have the belief that what they were doing was going to make a difference then don't blame that on people in this thread.

Finally, your attitude stinks. This thread has been about ensuring Sony make the right moves in relation to DRM, it has been that way from the beginning, again because of the insider tip we received on Monday.

If you want to put the blame on someone's shoulders that Xbox One hasn't had the same attention from a Twitter campaign, you need to look in the mirror. It is Xbox buyers like yourself and others on GAF who failed to organise after the reveal.

Thank you for confirming exactly what I said was happening.

If it turns out that Sony won't be doing DRM and used games block at E3, we can then refocus our attention toward Microsoft. With the publicity boost for Sony, partially thanks to this campaign, Microsoft and EA are sure to take notice.

If E3 comes and Sony do the right thing while MS keep pushing their original plan, that should be the time for Xbox fans to rise up as well. If enough Xbox fans threaten to boycott in that situation, it may cause Microsoft to reconsider. If MS don't reconsider, the good publicity for Sony should put Microsoft at a big disadvantage, especially with the mainstream coverage this campaign has garnered. And it would serve them right for pushing anti-consumer policies.

Even so, it doesn't hurt to fire off a few #XboxonenoDRM even before E3. I have done so myself, despite being mostly a Sony fan. :)

MS changed their stance after the Orth backlash, this shows they are willing to listen if the backlash/outcry is loud enough.

Thank you for confirming exactly what I said was happening.

Changing their stance would be removing the online drm full stop.

All they have done is made it slightly more palatable. Forza 5 is going to be a online only game. Expect more to follow.

Unless MS is blind, then I don't see how this argument works. How can you ignore such an outcry after your announcement and then a reach out to your competitor? If they think everything is okay with their plan after this, they have reached PS3 Sony levels of arrogance.

I would love MS to backtrack on this. Halo is one of my favorite series and I'm sad to let it go.

Kane1345

If it turns out that Sony won't be doing DRM and used games block at E3, we can then refocus our attention toward Microsoft. With the publicity boost for Sony, partially thanks to this campaign, Microsoft and EA are sure to take notice.

If E3 comes and Sony do the right thing while MS keep pushing their original plan, that should be the time for Xbox fans to rise up as well. If enough Xbox fans threaten to boycott in that situation, it may cause Microsoft to reconsider. If MS don't reconsider, the good publicity for Sony should put Microsoft at a big disadvantage, especially with the mainstream coverage this campaign has garnered. And it would serve them right for pushing anti-consumer policies.

Even so, it doesn't hurt to fire off a few #XboxonenoDRM even before E3. I have done so myself, despite being mostly a Sony fan. :)

Yup I too have been pushing the same Xbox hashtag, DRM anywhere sucks might as well try.

maltrain

I really hope this is true and Sony confirms on E3 they won't change their PS3 policies on PS4.

The problem is that Microsoft hasn't changed their stance on always online. So far we know the console has to connect once a day, and is superior when connected to the cloud, but does not need to be online.

Microsoft's PR has been all over the place and seems to have no idea what it is meant to say.

Someone heard that Sony was wavering, and this thread decided to target all its power at Sony, because Sony was wavering.

This has not only sent a message to Sony, but to the other publishers and Microsoft.

People don't feel the same would work on Microsoft because 1) no one has heard a rumour from Microsoft that they are wavering, and 2) Microsoft has not changed its mind about always online. Read between the PR lines and you'll see the console is basically always online.

Whoa...um what happened here...?

Unless MS is blind, then I don't see how this argument works. How can you ignore such an outcry after your announcement and then a reach out to your competitor?

Exactly. MS doesn't exist in a vacuum. After the overwhelmingly negative reception of their console reveal a gigantic grassroots campaign is formed to convince their #1 competitor to do the exact opposite of what they announced. You think they don't see that?

Whoa...um what happened here...?

post history will answer all your questions

As I suspected, and already semi confirmed. Publishers will have to put in their own work to implent any of this.

I hope this is true but I am still a lil afraid for my ability to lend games to my friends.

Anyhoo if true I dunno if I hope EA software sales to bomb on PS4 just out of spite or be a big success so they'd have to admit that second hand sales might not be such a big devil after all.

Amir0x

Banned
By the way, I fully endorse people trying to get Microsoft to change their tune. The reason why I am not supporting that drive is not because of fanboyism, but because there has been a fairly big backlash against this stuff since the leaks started back early this year, and Microsoft had plenty of time to consider their options and maybe double back and it's now clear they haven't. To me this suggests a company that is now locked down in their strategy in regards to this... buttocks said they already "conceded" a point from making the system ALWAYS ONLINE 24/7 to requiring a check once every 24 hours, so i doubt Microsoft has the ability to vacillate any further.

But I hope they do. And I hope the #XboxOneNoDrm drive works too.

sol_bad

You are being annoying, you are correct that Sony fans started this movement. So you know why? Because we are passionate gamers and we care about our rights.

You should be bother the legion of Xbox owners and asking them why they didn't start a movement after the Xbone reveal aimed at both Microsoft and Sony. If someone would have started it straight after the Xbone reveal I am pretty positive everyone would have helped out just like they did in this thread.

If Sony don't incorporate a DRM scheme more people may by a PS4 and force MS/EA to stop their DRM scheme.

Honestly i don`t care if MS is changing their stance or not. I don`t trust them anymore and gave up on them as Mattrick took over and mutimedia, Kinect and the halo - gears - fable - forza rotation was born.

I had a great time with the first xbox and the 360 but if Sony is doing the right thing (no always online or online checks) they will be my new gaming home and Mattricks xbox division can do whatever they want - i just don`t care anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom