• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Gammix S70 blade

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Before I hear all the bullshit about using a cheap ssd this is a very good NVME. I have had it over a year and the read writes are more than most of the bigger name brands. The drive never gives me issues but one.

Every once in a while, say once every 3-6 months I will turn on my ps5 and get no picture. The ps5 has not been moved and just working hours before hand. What I have found is, I have to take the cover off and reinsert the NVME. Works fine for a long time but this periocally happens. Anyone have any idea why? My only guess is heat is building up and slighting warping something and causing it to become loose. Just a guess.

The drive

*Update, most of you were right. This drive is shit. It stopped working all together after about a year of use. I tried to remove the heatsink and the think cracked in half with little force. Piece of shit. I went with the silicon power XS70 as a great replacement.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If you forego the PS-certified WD black SSD, you can get the non-certified 1TB one for $45. About $15 less than this cheap drive you are recommending.

Well, technically the WD is cheap too but hey...its WD.

Kilau

You could check for a firmware update but I had a wonky Crucial 2TB nvme in my laptop and it caused random issues, basically sleep mode would cause it to vanish and disable the USBC port lol. Odd.

Swapped out and have had no issues since, put the crucial in an enclosure and it’s still wonky.

unclbenn

That downside is pretty big. I don't know if I could deal with that all the time. I think I'll just wait a little longer till I upgrade to 2tb

Last edited:

peish

cheap ssd

only thing you do now is buy 2tb real ssd, and a nvme usb enclosure to house the cheap ssd to act as external storage backup

I read this model has a high failure rate and also Adata is not good at warranty. Cheap ssd but it is already showing signs of failure.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Before I hear all the bullshit about using a cheap ssd this is a very good NVME. I have had it over a year and the read writes are more than most of the bigger name brands. The drive never gives me issues but one.

Every once in a while, say once every 3-6 months I will turn on my ps5 and get no picture. The ps5 has not been moved and just working hours before hand. What I have found is, I have to take the cover off and reinsert the NVME. Works fine for a long time but this periocally happens. Anyone have any idea why? My only guess is heat is building up and slighting warping something and causing it to become loose. Just a guess.

The drive

a8af0980-f1fc-4f0b-ad75-a4d31e89f1e8_text.gif

Had this very drive since Sony unlocked the ssd port. Never had an issue and seems rock solid 👍🦾🤞

Return if under warranty ? But sounds really odd and like others mentioned most probably ssd related than a fault on your PlayStation. The firmware update might be a good shout if you have the ability to mount the add drive in a laptop or pc

Good luck though

Had the 1TB model of this SSD plugged in my PS5 for almost a year now and it works fine still. I've also separately bought a cheapo heatsink for the SSD to ensure there won't be any thermal throttling issues and it's being great so far even with the 35 - 40 C heatwaves we've had throughout July and this month as well.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I still have this SSD in my PS for about a year now and all good, I know its cheap and it probably will die at some point but I also don't value my PS5 or my data enough to care lmao.

My PC got the SN850x tho because that data actually matters to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom