• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation

redfirm

Banned
We are hitting 2019 and its always fun to talk about next gen. What are your expectations of the next Playstation and Xbox? lets discuss the hardware and potential peripherals.

if you have any link to console rumors or anything else related to this topic, pm me or share it here and i will add it to this topic.

Lets not turn this into a console wars, but talk about what we expect both companies to do and how they plan to compete.

Some interesting articles.
Microsoft’s Next-Gen Xbox Will Arrive in 2020
A chat with Phil Spencer about next gen Xbox consoles
AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su to Keynote at CES 2019
AMD Working With Both Sony and Microsoft on Next-Generation Consoles
Sony Patents A New VR Controller Sparking PlayStation 5 Rumors
xbox latest rumors
PlayStation 5 Rumored For 2019 Reveal and 2020 Release Date
PlayStation VR Successor Spotted in New Patent Filing, PS5 to Feature Built-in VR Functionality?

Rumor: https://wccftech.com/cloud-focused-streaming-xbox-amd-picasso/

Related stuff.
Shawn Layden on Sony's Silence: See You in the New Year

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I expect a much closer battle between the two next gen. However, I don’t think the Xbox exclusives will reach Sony-level just yet.

I honestly think the momentum is going to shift back the other direction....as far fetched as it sounds when you start pulling out all stops and make pro consumer choices you are going to get customers.....I don’t think it’s going to be the 1 horse race that this gen has been.

redfirm

Banned
I honestly think the momentum is going to shift back the other direction....as far fetched as it sounds when you start pulling out all stops and make pro consumer choices you are going to get customers.....I don’t think it’s going to be the 1 horse race that this gen has been.
the think i have been talking about with my friends is.... ps4 users got a lot of games locked down to their ps+ account., if sony somehow manages to get backwards compatibility they should be fine. i think the real question is how gamepass will work out for ms.

Shin

Banned
For some reason I got the feeling that MS will school Sony by releasing a premium and standard model at launch.
While Sony and their infinite wisdom will come cruisin' 3 years later and herald it as the best thing since slice bread.
I'd rather get 2 jobs* and have the best possible console at launch than wait 3 years so they can save money TBH...but that's just me.

redfirm

Banned
For some reason I got the feeling that MS will school Sony by releasing a premium and standard model at launch.
While Sony and their infinite wisdom will come cruisin' 3 years later and herald it as the best thing since slice bread.
I'd rather get 2 jobs* and have the best possible console at launch than wait 3 years so they can save money TBH...but that's just me.

I agree, i think that ms will release a more powerful console, but i think the consumer view right now is that the playstation has the best exclusives, this is also a fact if we are honest and look at the metacritics. ms needs to focus on first party and expand its studios. the real battle will be software based.

vpance

I doubt there would be the kind of premium and standard that I think you're hoping for. Like 9TF and 16TF or something along those lines. More like it'll be their streaming box for the low end and the regular $399 model.

Shin

Banned
I doubt there would be the kind of premium and standard that I think you're hoping for. Like 9TF and 16TF or something along those lines. More like it'll be their streaming box for the low end and the regular $399 model.
I believe if we look at the current standing of things then my remark is very realistic if MS stays with their current strategy.

Last edited:
the think i have been talking about with my friends is.... ps4 users got a lot of games locked down to their ps+ account., if sony somehow manages to get backwards compatibility they should be fine. i think the real question is how gamepass will work out for ms.
I don't buy into this whatsoever. Sure that logic may stranglehold some who refuse to think but it's not going to hamstring people to an ecosystem. Want to play those games next-gen while owning a next-gen Xbox? Don't get rid of your PS4, it's as simple as that.

I think Game Pass will be a great selling point for the Next Box especially if they add in even more enhancements somehow.

I owned a PS4 this whole gen and an Xbox for only a few months but I plan on buying both at launch next gen

I think 2020 for both

redfirm

Banned
I don't buy into this whatsoever. Sure that logic may stranglehold some who refuse to think but it's not going to hamstring people to an ecosystem. Want to play those games next-gen while owning a next-gen Xbox? Don't get rid of your PS4, it's as simple as that.

makes sense, but what about all the free ps+ games they collected etc? whats your thought on that?

bitbydeath bitbydeath added your links to op, thank you

Last edited:
makes sense, but what about all the free ps+ games they collected etc? whats your thought on that?

bitbydeath bitbydeath added your links to op, thank you
I can't even remember half of the "free" games I've gotten from PS+ and XBLG, I mean you can get both of these services for like $30 a year each if you look around so... If they want to play them they keep an active subscription.

Michele

you.
If PS5 releases this early as 2019, this will be a blow to Microsoft's Scarlettine, which is set to release in 2020.

I cannot believe how much years has passed...

Great Hair

Banned
PS5 Amateur 12 threads, 2.5Ghz 10TFlops, 16gddr6, puny 500gb hd out of jest...
PS5 Pro higher clocked 12 thread 3ghz, 20tflops, 24gddr6, 2 tb sshd

Why wait til 2020? Aint going to be any better spec wise, 1 year is not enough to justify a delayed launched of 1 year or more. Extra 2 thread or 4 aint gonna make a difference.

Add an ARM/snapdragon835 like secondary chip for OS, downloads, video playback and everyone will be happy.

The real question is :

Will VR play any major role in the future (i hope so). For proper VR with 2x 4K images at 120Hz it takes more than just the Cerny "homologated 8TFlops".

redfirm

Banned

Why wait til 2020? Aint going to be any better spec wise, 1 year is not enough to justify a delayed launched of 1 year or more. Extra 2 thread or 4 aint gonna make a difference.

Add an ARM/snapdragon835 like secondary chip for OS, downloads, video playback and everyone will be happy.

The real question is :

Will VR play any major role in the future (i hope so). For proper VR with 2x 4K images at 120Hz it takes more than just the Cerny "homologated 8TFlops".

vr will definitly play a huge role in sony's next gen strategy. they always focus on the hardcore market first and foremost and vr is a important tool. I believe that next gen is the time where vr will become accessible and wireless.

MS didn't win 7 gen, Nintendo did and MS probably landed on 3 place.

(off topic)

Nintendo? With the Wii? Seriously?

Going to be going hard PS fanboy here, but the PS3 gave us The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, Infamous 1 and 2, Demon's Souls (which led to all other Souls games), and a bunch of others. It pushed Blu-Ray and provided a free online play system. Remember that the Wii was discontinued in favour of the Wii U, and the Xbox 360, while a more capable machine, suffered that horrible red ring issue and a lack of must-have exclusives.

PS3 was the 7th gen winner, if only just. Sony's arrogance after the success of the PS2 near cost them that one, which is why they didn't muck about with the PS4.

(on topic)

Agree with what other have been saying: both Sony and MS are going to come out fighting next round. Specs will be very close, the difference being price, and exclusives.

I'm saying at least 16GB RAM (maybe even 20GB - 4GB just for the OS), near 3Ghz CPUs, 8+ cores, APUs in both (to reduce costs), 4K targets, at least 1TB HDDs, and a bunch of custom chips to do things like background tasks, and common bits and piece (think more stuff like zlib dedicated hardware).

Woodchipper

The real question is :

Why wait til 2020? Because The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone.

Shin

Banned
That's 700 and 200MHz downclock from what the mobile variant of Ryzen is, so you're butchering your own expectation :p

Armorian

Banned
(off topic)

Nintendo? With the Wii? Seriously?

Going to be going hard PS fanboy here, but the PS3 gave us The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, Infamous 1 and 2, Demon's Souls (which led to all other Souls games), and a bunch of others. It pushed Blu-Ray and provided a free online play system. Remember that the Wii was discontinued in favour of the Wii U, and the Xbox 360, while a more capable machine, suffered that horrible red ring issue and a lack of must-have exclusives.

PS3 was the 7th gen winner, if only just. Sony's arrogance after the success of the PS2 near cost them that one, which is why they didn't muck about with the PS4.

(on topic)

Agree with what other have been saying: both Sony and MS are going to come out fighting next round. Specs will be very close, the difference being price, and exclusives.

I'm saying at least 16GB RAM (maybe even 20GB - 4GB just for the OS), near 3Ghz CPUs, 8+ cores, APUs in both (to reduce costs), 4K targets, at least 1TB HDDs, and a bunch of custom chips to do things like background tasks, and common bits and piece (think more stuff like zlib dedicated hardware).

In unit sold metric Nintendo won. I personally think they had the worst 7 gen console (overall, not only in terms of power) but numbers don't lie.

In aspects like money made on the system Nintendo also won, Sonly lost milions on PS3 and MS console businnes was still in the red overall even after 7 gen was over (I think).

People saying ps5 will be 16gb or 24gb 10teraflops are dillusional, a new console generation has to start at 128gb, 16 n 24 aren't going to show a huge difference from current consoles, 24 gb is simply going to add up a few improvements from a Xbox one X it's simply not going to be a new generation and it's pointless, personally I don't see anything graphicaly impossible for a ps4 at the moment right after playing rdr2, God of war 4, kill zone, uncharted and also waiting for death stranding and ghost of Tsushima I honestly don't see the point to release a half assed 16gb console now which will improve nothing it's just ridiculous for consumers or gamers to be asking for a new console when the current ones have a lot to offer infact it's childish and naive, it's better for new consoles to come out after 2022 with 128gb hbm3 ram and 25-30 teraflops zen ryzen or whatever processors, then we'll see Pixar cgi level graphics then we can say it's a ps5. Ps1-2mb ram ps2-32mb ram PS3-512mb ram ps4-8gb ram ps5-128gb no excuses I'm disappointed with the lack of class from gamers who are demanding a half arsed 16 gb 10teraflop ps4 version 10.0 cheap console

Toe-Knee

People saying ps5 will be 16gb or 24gb 10teraflops are dillusional, a new console generation has to start at 128gb, 16 n 24 aren't going to show a huge difference from current consoles, 24 gb is simply going to add up a few improvements from a Xbox one X it's simply not going to be a new generation and it's pointless, personally I don't see anything graphicaly impossible for a ps4 at the moment right after playing rdr2, God of war 4, kill zone, uncharted and also waiting for death stranding and ghost of Tsushima I honestly don't see the point to release a half assed 16gb console now which will improve nothing it's just ridiculous for consumers or gamers to be asking for a new console when the current ones have a lot to offer infact it's childish and naive, it's better for new consoles to come out after 2022 with 128gb hbm3 ram and 25-30 teraflops zen ryzen or whatever processors, then we'll see Pixar cgi level graphics then we can say it's a ps5. Ps1-2mb ram ps2-32mb ram PS3-512mb ram ps4-8gb ram ps5-128gb no excuses I'm disappointed with the lack of class from gamers who are demanding a half arsed 16 gb 10teraflop ps4 version 10.0 cheap console
Just to give you some perspective on what it costs for 128gb of ram slower than what's in current systems

https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...-Kit-PC4-21300-2666MHz-DDR4-DIMM-C16/RAM3861/

ethomaz

Banned
Let's put my predictions here.

PS5

Semi-custom 7nm AMD APU
Zen+ (or Zen2) CPU with 8 cores without SMT @ max 3Ghz
GCN6 (or Navi) based GPU with 12-15TFs
16GB GDRRD6 @ 512GB/s
1TB 5400RPM HDD

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Not sure if you're serious or just trolling.

You want 128gb of ram and a 25-30 teraflop CPU in the year 2022?

I would like this as well but don't want to sell off body parts to be able to afford something like this.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean which post looks delusional :D

You can't even get 128GB with memory for graphics cards because you are limited by density (2GB per chip) and bus width.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Imagine loading data from HDD to fill that 128GB pool.

CPU - Ryzen 2.6-3.0GHz 8/16
GPU - Navi 11-12TF
RAM - 16-20GB GDDR6
Storage - HDD 2TB

That is for both PS5 and X4, console will be different but not by much.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Both are going to have similar x86 and AMD pieces and specs. Both are going to be BC.

MS seems to be moving to lock people into their ecosystem by removing free market choice. The end goal is to bring them in with discounted Game Pass then raise the prices later. It's worse than Netflix because MS makes the HW and controls who can sell SW. I'm hoping Sony does a traditional console.

Maybe MS will launch with two distinct SKUs, which sounds like a horrible idea, but they were scarred this gen over their 900p console and seem be trying to overcompensate lately.

Streaming? Good luck pushing that crap in the US. 20+Mbps with data caps and compression artifacts and latency.

Imtjnotu

Let's put my predictions here.

PS5

Semi-custom 7nm AMD APU
Zen+ (or Zen2) CPU with 8 cores without SMT @ max 3Ghz
GCN6 (or Navi) based GPU with 12-15TFs
16GB GDRRD6 @ 512GB/s
1TB 5400RPM HDD
I like everything but the bandwidth. If they go with a 384bit we can see 600+

Not sure if you're serious or just trolling.

You want 128gb of ram and a 25-30 teraflop CPU in the year 2022?

I would like this as well but don't want to sell off body parts to be able to afford something like this.
They said 8gb was too much before the ps4 came out they said 2gb was feasible, consoles have always been 16x more powerful and 16x more memory I don't see why people think 128gb is impossible why do people always expect too little it's a shame, ddr5 can now get to 128gb n just today news broke out on hbm2 modules with a total of 96gb, why do people think 128gb of hbm memory is impossible in 2022 n y do they think it'll cost a million dollars

Armorian

Banned
Streaming? Good luck pushing that crap in the US. 20+Mbps with data caps and compression artifacts and latency.

I didn't know it was this bad in US. I have 150/50 unlimited fiber connection (with TV) for 12$/month. I can have 900mb/s for 22$ (but LOL, why would i need it? :p). This is in Poland BTW, post communist country.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I didn't know it was this bad in US. I have 150/50 unlimited fiber connection (with TV) for 12$/month. I can have 900mb/s for 22$ (but LOL, why would i need it? :p). This is in Poland BTW, post communist country.

Most cities have good quality internet but a lot of people live in rural areas where their internet is still very bad.

Take for example I live in a fairly small town but we have great internet with 1 gig fiber upload and download.

My sister in law lives only about 5 miles away from us outside of town and their ONLY choice for internet is a wireless system with very low data caps.

Her sons try playing Fortnite and their ping is in the 1000s.

So streaming devices just wont work for many Americans.

Woodchipper

Does everyone in Poland have that sort of connection though? I doubt it.

I’m in Sweden and while I have 100mb/s a friend of mine had 8mb/s til just about a month ago, when he finally got his house connected to fiber. Huge parts of the western society are still lacking bandwidth speed. Just saying.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

That's ddr4,5 I'm talking about hbm memory and by 2022 ram will be cheaper
Yes but hdm costs more than double that now so in 2022 (the console will be out well before that). It will be around that price so still nearly triple the cost of a 1x for the ram alone.

There's no need for more than 16gb.

I have 16gb in a pc used for audio editing & music production which uses significantly more ram than gaming and I have about 3gb overhead. So 16-24gb up be more than adequate

Armorian

Banned
Does everyone in Poland have that sort of connection though? I doubt it.

I’m in Sweden and while I have 100mb/s a friend of mine had 8mb/s til just about a month ago, when he finally got his house connected to fiber. Huge parts of the western society are still lacking bandwidth speed. Just saying.

I was limited to 10mb up to 2016 so yeah, this types of speeds are new to my area (and that is ~26k town). Majority of Poland most likely have worse connection but one thing is common to all providers - NO DATA CAPS

Most cities have good quality internet but a lot of people live in rural areas where their internet is still very bad.

Take for example I live in a fairly small town but we have great internet with 1 gig fiber upload and download.

My sister in law lives only about 5 miles away from us outside of town and their ONLY choice for internet is a wireless system with very low data caps.

Her sons try playing Fortnite and their ping is in the 1000s.

So streaming devices just wont work for many Americans.

Yeah, Idea of streaming only console is good but limited only to some areas around the world.

Last edited:
Yes but hdm costs more than double that now so in 2022 (the console will be out well before that). It will be around that price so still nearly triple the cost of a 1x for the ram alone.

There's no need for more than 16gb.

I have 16gb in a pc used for audio editing & music production which uses significantly more ram than gaming and I have about 3gb overhead. So 16-24gb up be more than adequate
The reason you think 16gb is enough is simply because all PC games are ports of console games and the industry as of today design games around 8gb it's always been about that n when new consoles come out with 128gb then PC games will also demand 128gb, your 16gb is just good enough to run just cause 4 in 4K not a PC game in 2022 in 4K.

Imagine loading data from HDD to fill that 128GB pool.

CPU - Ryzen 2.6-3.0GHz 8/16
GPU - Navi 11-12TF
RAM - 16-20GB GDDR6
Storage - HDD 2TB

That is for both PS5 and X4, console will be different but not by much.
They said the same thing back in 2004 "imagine loading data from hdd to fill 512mb on xbox 360 rumours!

Toe-Knee

The reason you think 16gb is enough is simply because all PC games are ports of console games and the industry as of today design games around 8gb it's always been about that n when new consoles come out with 128gb then PC games will also demand 128gb, your 16gb is just good enough to run just cause 4 in 4K not a PC game in 2022 in 4K.

If you read my post I was starting a use that is far more memory intensive that 16gb is a sufficient amount for.

Video editing machines at work only have 32gb and they're for editing 4k videos which fills ram really fast.

Pc exclusives still don't need more than 8gb in 2022 16gb will be more than adequate.

Top Bottom