• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 And Xbox Scarlett To Be ‘Always Connected Online’ According To NHL 20 Dev.

NickFire

Your argument is silly
Online features such as patches, dlc, updates and mp are fine. Nobody is complaining about that
Whats unacceptable however is enforcing some artificial online drm, how can you defend that crap?

Not only that but imagine your internet is having conection issues which is not uncommon and being constanly locked out the game, or you forget to pay the bill
Online drm isnt benefitial to customers at all.
If they added digital store credit for trading in games I deleted and never intend to play again, it would benefit me personally as I really am always online. But I am not disagreeing with your general premise that this could be a net negative for consumers overall. Nor am I saying Connor is necessarily wrong that this would be a good thing. I only disagree with the doubling down on the suggestion that there are no games you can play without an internet connection, or that very few people would be affected.

Don't worry guys, Elon Musk sent 5000 death satellites to beam 5G down to earth to give everyone a great intetnect collection in exchange for your brains frying and giving you cancer.

Everythings FINE guys get COMFORTABLE.

CrisPy2019

Does this mean Sony and Ms will pay for my internet access? Because they will constantly use it ? Nice!

No you say? Well then I guess that's a FUCKOFF.

No need for a console I can't play in 10 years. I'm a collector and I want every console to be a retro console one day. Won't work without offline mode. And then buying physical to collect also makes no sense anymore.

Hardpass

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that Sony's entire thing was not always on drm/physical games makes me question this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
good. current gen should have already been always online back in 2013 but, "oh now what about the .5% of the population in bum fuck nowhere whose internet goes out once every two weeks".. fuck em.
What about preservation, user rights, ownership? It is way more than just worrying about connection failing on your end every once and a while.
“Always online” isn’t the bogeyman that people made it out to be back in 2013. The messaging leading up to it was also all wrong, as the benefits of constant connectivity were never properly played up. Are there some people who would be affected by this? Sure. Internet access isn’t everywhere yet, and its quality is spotty is some places. That said, as the majority of console video games today rely on internet connectivity to work properly— either through patching or through content additions/GaaS— there’s going to have to come a time when acceptable losses of consumers who aren’t able (or willing) to connect.
Always online is precisely the consumer-hating bullshit it was identified as in 2013. What are advantages of enforcing an online connection? I cannot see a single one on the consumer side. There is nothing that is an advantage for the player in forcing them to be online over recommending it.
What games are you guys playing that they *don't* need to be online?
Played through this year (don't mind the ratings, they are just there for friends at another forum), current gen in bold:
  • Ratchet & Clank Size Matters 2/10
  • Ratchet & Clank 2 4/10
  • Ratchet & Clank 3 4/10
  • Pac-Man World 7/10
  • Spyro Enter the Dragonfly 2/10
  • Tak (4) Geheimnis des glühenden Kristalls 6/10
  • Pac-Man World 2 7/10
  • Poi Explorer Edition 8/10
  • Jersey Devil 5/10
  • Sly Cooper (4): Thieves in Time 5/10
  • Toy Story 2 5/10
  • American McGee's Alice 1/10
  • Alice Madness Returns 5/10
  • Spyro A Hero's Tail 4/10
  • Sly Raccoon 6/10
  • Blinx The Time Sweeper 5/10
  • Pac-Man World 3 5/10
  • Ty 2 Bush Rescue 3/10
  • Voodoo Vince 6/10
  • Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space 7/10
  • Scaler 6/10
  • Pac-Man und die Geisterabenteuer 6/10
  • Mad Dash Racing 4/10
  • Pac-Man und die Geisterabenteuer 2 6/10
  • Sly 2 4/10
  • Akuji The Heartless 3/10
  • Tak 3 (DS) 3/10
  • Sly 3 4/10
  • Mushroom Men 5/10
  • Space Chimps 5/10
  • FreezeMe 6/10
  • Final Fantasy VI 7/10
  • Yoshi's Crafted World 8/10
  • Axiom Verge 8/10
Current gen games I will likely play through this year and next year: Team Sonic Racing, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuelled, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Psychonauts 2, Ori Will of the Wisps, A Hat in Time, Yooka-Laylee The Impossible Lair, Pokémon Sword / Shield, Zelda Link's Awakening

That is a list of 18 current gen games I played through or plan on playing through this or next year. Also a list of old games which would very likely be unplayable today if they had online enforcement.

SonGoku

If they added digital store credit for trading in games I deleted and never intend to play again, it would benefit me personally as I really am always online. But I am not disagreeing with your general premise that this could be a net negative for consumers overall. Nor am I saying Connor is necessarily wrong that this would be a good thing. I only disagree with the doubling down on the suggestion that there are no games you can play without an internet connection, or that very few people would be affected.
Theres no benefit to always online drm
I highly doubt pubs will let you trade digital games and even if they did, always online drm woulnt be necesary to prevent abuse.

Last edited:

NickFire

Theres no benefit to always online drm
I highly doubt pubs will let you trade digital games and even if they did, always online drm woulnt be necesary to prevent abuse.
I am not an overly tech savvy person, but how would they know that you didn't trade the game in while deleting it, and then reinstall it from a backup without drm?

LMJ

A big difference between always being online, and always requiring an online connection like the original xbox one was...

As long as they don't cross that line I won't be too upset, hopefully both Sony and Microsoft learned their lesson based on that giant flub lol

Eimran

This is just an assumption. Everybody saw how well the audience responded to Microsoft's always online requirement. They'd have to be incredibly stupid

Meowzers

I'm online on my console 100% and most of the time I play offline games and I'm fine and even when the internet goes down for a minute or 2 sometimes, I'm playing offline games so it doesn't bother me.

But knowing that I could be kicked out of my game or something without it saving, that could be a disaster. But, even with phones when the internet drops, you can still do things so it's not a complete paper-weight and I think that's what will happen to consoles if it goes ahead.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Keep a local list of games you own licenses to on the home system (i.e. the one that lets you play offline with no strings attached), check for any game on an external device, whether it is on the list. If it is not, do not start the game. This would be the least intrusive way. You could also be more radical and demand for any medium that holds digital copies of games, you need to activate them online whenever connecting them, to check whether it contains stuff you do not have licenses to anymore, in order to remove them.

SonGoku

For digital it woulnt be an issue at all, just require a check when installing from an external HDD. Maybe even the OS could detect the backup no longer has a valid license
But anyways i highly doubt pubs will let you trade digital games for credit.

Last edited:

molly14

• Hey my phone is always online, so who gives a shit!
    Exactly I bet all these people moaning don’t even know if their console is connected online or not,and what fkin reason does it matter if it is,makes no difference to anything.

Some people just moan about something for the sake of it..

Barakov

Nah, not going to happen. Everyone saw how everyone got up in arms about it last time and there's no way they're going to pull it for this gen. Most of the world's internet is way too flaky for this.

It might be funny if Microsoft faked Sony out by telling them they were going online-only too, but at the last second they showed a video at E3 of Don Mattrick lending Phil Spenser a disc by hand.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good fit with modern times, I thought everyone had their gaming consoles connected to the internet anyway.

With all the multiplayer modes, updates and other fixes what games don't require an internet connection? I haven't unplugged my PS4 from the internet since I got it. I'm willing to bet most people haven't.
Like 90+% of my 200ish games on PS4 I would play perfectly fine offline with no patches. Sure there are some like FFXV that take a huge hit that I don't include, but the vast majority are fine. People seriously exaggerating what games NEED to be online.

Pallas

Because PS4 absolutely freaking destroyed XBox because of it? Because Sony knows about the offline gamer crowd? Because you don't change what's winning? Because of BC with PS4?
If PS5 has BC with PS4 then it's almost sure to assume it will be an extension of it and will work offline too.
Sony would be really dumb to pull a 2013 XBox.

That wasn’t the only reason, everyone knows that and don’t say “Sony has to be dumb to pull a 2013 Xbox” with what they did with the launch PS3. Both corporations have done some dumb shit.

True. But I think most people were okay with it as long as the price wasn't outrageous. In this case, it will still have a negative impact for those who live in rural locations. The last thing Sony wants is a Don Mattrick "What is a nuclear sub?" disaster.
People didn’t really have a viable choice, other than resort to gaming on Xbox which made no sense since they also charge a subscription fee, stick to the PS3 or get into PC gaming, which probably isn’t a good alternative if you are solely a console player. If Sony does go through with this, someone will say “Well most people will be ok with it if so and so, etc” just like you are with paid online.

To make phone calls...

Technically you got to have reception, I think that alone means you’re connected.

Edit: I do believe we are jumping to conclusions though. Since a hellpoint dev has neither said yes or no about this. Can’t believe EA.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Fuck that. If I move across the country for a job and wanted to play an offline game on a console while waiting for the internet to be hooked up in my new house I would want to be able to do so. As a PC gamer first, I tend to boot my console up so rarely that the above is about as unlikely to ever matter if I move as me moving is likely to happen, but so what I want my freedom.

Do we really care anymore? Think about it. Your cell phone is always connected your tv is always connected your PC is always connected. This has been the new reality for a long while. You cannot stop the progression of technology. Roll with it or get rolled over.

Pallas

That’s not the same thing.
Mobile towers are everywhere.

Yeah but don’t you need that cellular data to use apps and other services if you aren’t on a WiFi? If your cellular data is too degraded you can’t even make a simple phone call or text.

bitbydeath

Do we really care anymore? Think about it. Your cell phone is always connected your tv is always connected your PC is always connected. This has been the new reality for a long while. You cannot stop the progression of technology. Roll with it or get rolled over.

Nope. Have you seen all the times Xbox goes down and the flood of complaints which follows about being unable to play ANY games?

deeptech

Isn't it already required for current gen consoles? What can you do without internet when most games now have like 20gb day one update, even if you buy a disc?

bitbydeath

Yeah but don’t you need that cellular data to use apps and other services if you aren’t on a WiFi? If your cellular data is too degraded you can’t even make a simple phone call or text.

It’s a consistent signal though. If you have a spot that works it will always work.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Isn't it already required for current gen consoles? What can you do without internet when most games now have like 20gb day one update, even if you buy a disc?

That's NOT "ALWAYS" online though. How can some people not understand the difference?

The Alien

Banned
Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360.

CloudyUnacceptableEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif
What a dumb douche! (him, not you). 😉

Riven326

Banned
People didn’t really have a viable choice, other than resort to gaming on Xbox which made no sense since they also charge a subscription fee, stick to the PS3 or get into PC gaming, which probably isn’t a good alternative if you are solely a console player. If Sony does go through with this, someone will say “Well most people will be ok with it if so and so, etc” just like you are with paid online.
Yeah well, it won't be me, so...

Cynn

PlayStation will not have forced online, I'm 100% sure.

It was really Xbox and specifically 360 where these practices of updates and dlc emerged and flourished.....
We need PlayStation as the leader and to make the more toxic companies like EA less relevant to roll back this stuff.
People were absolutely certain PlayStation would never have paid online as well. Sony isn’t a good guy. They’re just slow to adopt industry trends.

Top Bottom