• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X’s GPU Differences Will Become More of a Factor in a Year or Two – Caverns of Mars: Recharged Dev

vQQSD1F.gif

Lysandros

“A ~15% increase is significant, but both GPUs are so powerful”

Assuming he’s referring to the XSX GPU since it’s roughly 15% more powerful teraflop-wise than the PS5’s GPU.
How about the 22% rasterization and/or fill rate 'increase', those aren't GPU metrics now? '15%' refers only to the compute one where XSX happens to be ahead. Whole GPU power is the sum of all the throughputs which clearly show an evenly matched picture. This is getting really old now, we are in third year of the generation. That's such an obvious and needless console war fuel comment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Were they the ones constantly quoting Hellpoint devs last gen? That was hilarious. Maybe Caverns of Mars devs will be their experts for this gen.
That was actually at the beginning of this gen. Yeah, I know. Feels like forever ago, and yesterday at the same time.

AngelMuffin

How about the 22% rasterization and/or fill rate 'increase', those aren't GPU metrics now? '15%' refers only to the compute one where XSX happens to be ahead. Whole GPU power is the sum of all the throughputs which clearly show an evenly matched picture. This is getting really old now, we are in third year of the generation. That's such an obvious and needless console war fuel comment.
Yeah, I agree. A lot more to it than just compute units but that’s typically the metric most point to. To me it’s like raw Horsepower when it comes to sports cars. Sure it matters, but so does torque, gear ratio, shift speed, aerodynamics, braking, etc. but most people like to point out HP as the end all be all.

RobRSG

In reality both machines are so similar that either you have:

1. Very similar performance and graphics, close to 0.5% differences.
2. A better performance favoring one over the other machine, maybe because it was the main plataform.
3. A case like RE4 Remake where both versions are fucked in different ways.

Doesn't matter if the Series S the lowest common denominator. Developing games for that vs for the OG XB One will be significant. The biggest hurdle is getting devs to stop making cross gen games.

SeraphJan

PC never was the lowest common denominator and it never will be, developers don't give a fuck what's the most popular GPU and other shit like that, they just optimize (or not LOL) to the newest architectures on the market. Series S will be TLCD for entire generation, when GTX1060 won't be able to play any new games this console will have to have playable version of every new game and devs have to make it in order to release their games on Xbox consoles. So we (gamers) will have to be okay with games designed with series s RAM amount for the next few years.
Yup, like minimal requirement doesn't exist, just because you don't care doesn't mean the dev don't care. You have no idea how prevalent low-end gaming are in countries that are not first world, game devs want to make money, not to contribute to the advancement of architecture.

There are tons of tutorial on Youtube teaching people how to run latest installment of Assassin's creed with integrated graphic meaning many people are playing game below minimal requirement. In many country a price of RTX 4090 worth their entire year of distributable income.

The notion of console are holding gaming back not only untrue, but in reality is the exact opposite of that. Whenever a new console generation launches, is when the time devs feel safe to push it forward without worrying losing more sales, because the revenue from new console well compensate the lost of revenue on low end PC space (which is a very large population), which then forces low end PC space to push forward too, this cycle repeats.

Last edited:

Mung

So by the time gpu differences make a difference for Series x the 'pro' consoles will be out. It's funny how different things have worked out compared to the pre launch discussions.

Last edited:

Lysandros

So by the time gpu differences make a difference for Series x the 'pro' consoles will be out. It's funny how different things have worked out compared to the pre launch discussions.
I am convinced that by the judgment day XSX will finally outperform PS5.

By the time the Xbox Series X gets a game that fully takes advantage of its awesome hardware (and, yes, I own one as well as a PS5) then we will be on the verge of a new generation of consoles anyway. I mean we are still waiting for that killer Xbox app some 2.5 years after the console launched...

The big boys are going to be negligible through the gen, some engines better on Xbox and some better on Sony. The real question is how Xbox series s going to hold up? We know one developer is holding their game back due to Xbox policies having one to one modes for series s and x.

nordique

Series X and Ps5 are so similar that even 15% difference won’t be generally noticeable

Maybe for digital foundry hard on people

Long gone are PS3/360 days or even Xbone and Ps4

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
By that time, the new pro consoles will be out or just around the corner and this shit will start over.
Naw, by the time it happens next gen will be here.

Late gen games usually push the consoles hard.

Crayon

I'm not even sure there is a 15% difference anymore. The biggest differences between versions turn out to be minor bugs.

I find most multiplatform games simply don't bother going into the minutiae of differences per console unless they have to workaround specific disadvantages. The optimisation of specific advantages that benefit the game are often largely left by the wayside or poorly implemented. In this regard it's a matter of who cares about a few frames or dynamic res drops here or there? The masses don't care.

When you're talking about exclusive or platform bound games it's really a matter of Nintendo being super specific with their hardware/features, Sony enjoy the most hardware performance/optimisations (being non-windows/FreeBSD) and Xbox herald ease of cross platform development/PC releases/ecosystem/subs having parity. PC is always going to PC but generally suffers from lack of developer investment or platform based optimisations due to varied hardware/drivers/performance etc.

The interesting part here is the power of phones and similar devices from the likes of Apple M series chips. Where are they going to be in say 2-6 years, before this console generation ends? They wield some pretty amazing power and that gap is closing fast. Cloud latency is really dropping fast in many large install base gaming countries too. Look at games like MS Flight and the tech they employ, it doesn't all have to be twitch FPS based but even that is quickly becoming acceptable. A ton of gamers play mobile games, this dev really didn't drive any of that home either.

The dev or article didn't even enter into details about DLSS/FSR which are delivering far more for far less investment than the differences of local hardware or what devs would spend time with extracting from one platform or another.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Who cares buy a pc

To expand. If you care that much about which is marginally more powerful, then why not put that money into a pc instead so you dont need to compromise?

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Will this happen before or after the rumored Pro consoles come out lol
Considering devs are not yet taking full advantage of the hardware of current gen consoles, releasing a Pro not far from now would be counterproductive. They still have to develop for the lowest common dominator, it's not cost effective for Sony or Xbox to release a Pro when the current gen hardware is doing just fine. It's the devs that are the issue. The reason why we had a Pro and X console last gen was that we had a shift to 4K TVs etc. And the OG consoles just couldn't cut it. I believe the shift between cross gen and current gen games has been slower this gen, probably because of covid and console supply issues.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, when we get these tools we'll need new ones for XSX gen2. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
People joke about it, but that's a fact, an very well known fact, since we know which tools exactly, on PC specially only one game has used DirectStorage so far because Microsoft delays and now devs late in development cycles not bring financially able to migrate (which is more than understandable, imo).

Thing is: Games take too long to make and devs won't risk even more delays because of new features players won't even miss, once cross gen period ends, that's another story, any game starting development now must implement those features so even next gen they'll be ready.

DaGwaphics

People joke about it, but that's a fact, an very well known fact, since we know which tools exactly, on PC specially only one game has used DirectStorage so far because Microsoft delays and now devs late in development cycles not bring financially able to migrate (which is more than understandable, imo).

Thing is: Games take too long to make and devs won't risk even more delays because of new features players won't even miss, once cross gen period ends, that's another story, any game starting development now must implement those features so even next gen they'll be ready.

I know. I was just making a joke about it because it is taking so long for some of the new techniques to get used. Seems like by the time the games get using all the new tricks they will be cross-gen.

Even without some of the new features the XSX is running just fine though.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Who knew it takes over 4 years for the secret sauce to be activated? We'll be on pro consoles by then if not ramping up towards next next gen lol

Kataploom

Gold Member
I know. I was just making a joke about it because it is taking so long for some of the new techniques to get used. Seems like by the time the games get using all the new tricks they will be cross-gen.

Even without some of the new features the XSX is running just fine though.
Well, Schreier said if they'd start today they'd be ready for next gen or something in that fashion... It's taking long because devs didn't start until releasing what's already on their pipeline.

I like thinking that between AI assisted tools and finally using new graphic features, development speed should increase... You know, devs finally don't have to make different LOD versions of meshes, nor even a low-poly of the vast majority of them since tools like Nanite should take care of it for them, same for lighting with stuff like Lumen and RT assisted lighting models... And so on and so forth. Maybe I'm wrong thinking like that but that would be great.

Last edited:

Crayon

Phil got you 12 which is bigger than 10. And now you ungrateful louts want the games to run better, too.

Top Bottom