• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X: 1st party JRPGs

theclaw135

Banned
The slate of next gen reveals have had a glaring omission. Zilch, nada. No new exclusive Japanese role playing games from Sony or (help us all) Microsoft were shown. Shall we abandon ship? Or are there rumblings that unannounced awesome might be brewing?

Meanwhile in this gen Nintendo is bringing us Paper Mario The Origami King and Bravely Default 2. Though neither are by internal studios, and the latter isn't even their IP.

theclaw135

Banned
Sony at least, used to have Wild ARMS, Arc The Lad, Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles. And Microsoft has Hironobu Sakaguchi's Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

Hm, fair enough. I'd be hard pressed to take the risk of investing in a big revival.

There weren't very many JRPGs shown to begin with. Maybe just that one from Namco, even though it looked more close to Code Vein than a JRPG.

Japanese RPG devs generally tend to be a bit slow when it comes to adopting new hardware. I'd expect them to keep releasing on PS4 for a while longer before they finally transition. Eventually the PS5 should have a flood of JRPGs down the line if the PS4 was any indication.

Sony needs to bring back Dark Cloud and have Level-5 make a third one. The previous games were great, and Level-5 even said they would love to make a new one as it's much requested by their fans, but they have to get Sony to greenlight it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Switch is the ultimate Jrpg-machine, especially when it comes to old school. And Nintendo has Monolith Soft who specializes in the trade. So I'm sticking with that when the others fail.

But if we are talking next gen Tales of Arise is the only one at the moment that looks interesting. But that's not first party though.

Self

Since MS hasn't abandoned the JP market and are willing to invest some money, it can be argued that we will eventually see a revival of good old 360 times with their marvelous JRPGS. I'm sceptical, but let's wait and see.

Kokoloko85

Still waiting on that rumoured big Playstation JRPG that was mentioned for years.....
There was some good ones this gen but Nothing close to the likes of Snes, PS1 and PS2 generations.

GreyHorace

I don't know if any Japanese developer would make a first party rpg for Xbox. The brand has never sold well in Japan unlike Playstation.

Kokoloko85

I don't know if any Japanese developer would make a first party rpg for Xbox. The brand has never sold well in Japan unlike Playstation.

Not as well as the Gears and Halo. But games like Lost Odessy and Blue Dragon gave some great variety to the 360 generation.
Lost Odessy is up there with any JRPG these last 2 gens. Not my absolute favourite but a great game.
Blue dragon had some charm and was good to see but not top tier.

But yes it doesnt do close to Japan numbers compared to Playstation. I think worldwide Playstation fans probably buy more JRPG’s than Xbox fans

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Not as well as the Gears and Halo. But games like Lost Odessy and Blue Dragon gave some great variety to the 360 generation.
Lost Odessy is up there with any JRPG these last 2 gens. Not my absolute favourite but a great game.
Blue dragon had some charm and was good to see but not top tier.

But yes it doesnt do close to Japan numbers compared to Playstation. I think worldwide Playstation fans probably buy more JRPG’s than Xbox fans

But did Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon have good sales in Japan? I doubt it. Last I heard the number of Xbox's sold there barely broke 10,000 units.

One has to ask the question, if Japanese developers make exclusive rpgs for the Xbox, are they making for a local Japanese or a Western foreign audience?

NahaNago

Sony at least, used to have Wild ARMS, Arc The Lad, Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles. And Microsoft has Hironobu Sakaguchi's Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

The problem though is your 1st party jrpgs were from the ps3 gen. Sony has pretty much gone almost full western last gen unfortunately. Which is why they have gone censorship happy.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I've been going back through my 360 games and Microsoft actually used to do a decent job of getting Japanese games on the system. Not so much anymore.

Kokoloko85

But did Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon have good sales in Japan? I doubt it. Last I heard the number of Xbox's sold there barely broke 10,000 units.

One has to ask the question, if Japanese developers make exclusive rpgs for the Xbox, are they making for a local Japanese or a Western foreign audience?
Yeah the sales totally didnt do well In Japan.

Probably for the western market mainly as barely anyone in Japan buys xbox

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft event is on July. The original rumour had a Japanese exclusive in it.

I see Spike Chunsoft in that list. They also want to focus on Japan this time.
I mean Shi'nen Multimedia mostly works for Nintendo and they got them to work for Xbox

Last edited:

Shifty1897

This happened in 2013 and 2014 with last gen too. The first PS4 JRPG was a cross-gen title called Natural Doctrine, released 10 months after the PS4 launched, and it was terrible!

All those next gen JRPG's are gonna be in the dev oven for a while longer, use this time to play all those current gen JRPG's you've missed.

FStubbs

There weren't very many JRPGs shown to begin with. Maybe just that one from Namco, even though it looked more close to Code Vein than a JRPG.

Japanese RPG devs generally tend to be a bit slow when it comes to adopting new hardware. I'd expect them to keep releasing on PS4 for a while longer before they finally transition. Eventually the PS5 should have a flood of JRPGs down the line if the PS4 was any indication.

Some of the Sony diehards like Falcom are starting to feel out the Switch. I think you'll have more of that in Gen 9 along with continual PS4 releases because they aren't going to want to budget up for PS5. Not to mention the PS5 is backwards compatible so they can continue to release on PS4.

Yeah the sales totally didnt do well In Japan.

Probably for the western market mainly as barely anyone in Japan buys xbox

I remember when the Star Ocean 4 announcement came over for 360, the 360 was just about to break the back of resistance in Japan, but then the timed exclusives timed out and the PS3 started getting those games with extra content, and that was it. If not for that, those games would've eventually sold in Japan I think, as the market would've been forced to go 360.

Last edited:

Fbh

Neither Sony nor MS have a first party studio that specializes in JRPG's and at this point I doubt they'll invest in one given how the genre is rather niche compared to something like Horizon or Gears (unless you are a big household name like Final Fantasy).

Since third party exclusives are mostly a thing of the past, at most you'd get either MS or Sony spending money on some timed exclusivity, which sucks.

But yeah I miss the early days on the 360 with all the cool japnese exclusives. Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tales of Vesperia, etc, it was actually the reason I finally moved away from Playstation and went with an Xbox at the beginning of last gen.

What happened to Mistwalker?

Blue Dragon is one of my all time favourites.

Sadly, they went mobile.
They are working on an RPG for apple arcade though that looks pretty cool:

Hopefully it's just a timed exclusive and gets a wider release later on.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I don't think first party JRPGs has been a common thing.

There are definitely exclusives though, like Persona, Dragon Quest, Disgaea, Atelier, Vanillaware games (Odin's Sphere, Dragon's Crown, Muramasa) and most Tales games.

JRPGs and Japanese games in general is a big part why I play so much PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

Even multi-platform JRPGs often show up months or years earlier on PlayStation before getting Xbox ports - Nier Automata, World of Final Fantasy, Ni No Kuni (pretty sure NNK 2 is still PS4 exclusive), etc. I assume future FFVII games will come a year early to PS5.

Also, I don't count Demon's Souls as a JRPG, but i know people who take the acronym super literally do.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

What happened to Mistwalker?

Blue Dragon is one of my all time favourites.
Mistwalker is only a 15 person studio that acts like the producer. Blue Dragon was made by Artoon(the members later made Arzest) and Lost Odyssey by feelplus. Would love to see a Mistwalker-JP Games partnership published by Microsoft.
Currently Mistwalker is making some iOS game for Apple Arcade.

Last edited:

Doom85

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but don't we usually see JRPGs show up more in TGS (Tokyo Game Show) than E3? So really this is business as usual as far as I'm concerned.

This happened in 2013 and 2014 with last gen too. The first PS4 JRPG was a cross-gen title called Natural Doctrine, released 10 months after the PS4 launched, and it was terrible!

All those next gen JRPG's are gonna be in the dev oven for a while longer, use this time to play all those current gen JRPG's you've missed.

This too. Plus, it's not like this year is starved for current gen JRPGs. FF VII Remake, Tales of Arise (hopefully), Trials of Mana, Yazuka 7, Fairy Tail, Paper Mario: The Origami King, DBZ Kakarot, etc. Plus Genshin Impact, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Trails of Cold Steel, Digimon Survive, etc. may come out this year.

Tales of Vesperia

That one was actually kind of lame to be "exclusive" since there was a PS3 version in Japan that had a lot of additional content including a whole new party member plus making Flynn actually playable for more of the game. If the Xbox version had all that as well, it might not have been as big a deal (although it'd still be less of an exclusive and more of a "hey, this other version totally exists, but you're not allowed to have it!" which is different from a game actually being on only one platform) but basically the American released smacked of, "hey, here's Tales of Vesperia! Pay no attention to that superior PS3 version behind the curtain!"

Thankfully this was finally remedied with the Definitive Edition......a decade later. Well, better late than never I suppose.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Kumomeme

well this is not first party jrpg and it actually a mmo...but if i not mistaken in latest live stream Naoki Yoshida said cinematic trailer for next expansion of FFXIV 6.0 in production which is, assuming should launch next year and there highly chances that it would released on ps5 since we dont know the state of xbox version.

Bernkastel

well this is not first party jrpg and it actually a mmo...but if i not mistaken in latest live stream Naoki Yoshida said cinematic trailer for next expansion of FFXIV 6.0 in production which is, assuming should launch next year and there highly chances that it would released on ps5 since we dont know the state of xbox version.
They have confirmed a Xbox port soon.

Great Hair

Banned
IF JRPG
like Suikoden3, Skies of Arcadia, BOF5, DQ8, Dark Cloud 1, FMA, Xenogears, Alundra = insert tube
IF JRPG
like 2015+ with weird graphicsu, feelu uncomfortableu = no thanksu. are there any JPRGs these days, on the same vein as Xenogears, FFT, BOF or Suikoden? IF the answer is no, why bother?

Bernkastel

we heard that quite long time ago..still no sign of any actual date...maybe we see something this july event...might be good timing to launch the game on xbox with 5.3 patch.
It's been soon for a long time. FFXIV ARR was a PS3 game. And even that was a couple years after FFXIV 1.0.
I am pretty sure the Xbox port announcement is very recent.

Kumomeme

its been what? almost 8 month? and actually this is the 'proper' confirmation from phil after quite long time...before at june 2019 yoshida revealed in interview the progress of the negotiation:

Two months ago, I discussed with Phil Spencer. I have explained this before but we are prepared to do crossplay at any time. To play an MMORPG, there are 2 regulations for Microsoft which stand in the way of making crossplay feasible. Unless these regulations are rejected, there is no meaning. Simply speaking, the matching base FPS style game has no issues with those 2 regulations. If we had made an FPS game [had FF14 been one of those games], then we would already have crossplay. One of the regulations is that players with different platforms cannot chat with each other in-game. Then how do you play an MMO? The other regulation is you cannot make a community with plays on a different platform. You can’t form a guild, you can’t enter into a link shell, [and] no free company. So I would like to have Microsoft change their regulations. And this is not limited to Microsoft but there are many players who only have crossplay experience with FPS games, especially with the business scene. For an MMORPG, a game which full communication is possible, regulations need to be created considering how massive an MMORPG is to have true crossplay. Final Fantasy XIV will not release crossplay without making this clear because that would only hurt the players. I think we can only try to continue having our discussions with those parties [to communicate and relay what is needed].

here interview at gamescom 2014 that yoshida told us that Square is ready to launch the game on xbox one once ms allowed its players to play on cross-platform servers and 2015 he clarify again in interview that they still in negotiation

and later 2016 phil 'still' expressed his interest on twitter

i could not find any update on 2017 and 2018...but fans been waiting for it for quite time there ..fans been asking for it and microsoft been aware of it for quite long time and there no proper confirmation yet until last year....well atleast after all those years, phil gave us assurance that it will come 2020.
Better late than never.

Last edited:
It’s definitely pretty crazy that this generation cane and went without any first party JRPGs. Hopefully though, next generation we will get some first party JRPGs as I can imagine the Xbox team will be wanting some (whether it’s through a purchased studio or through an external partner who knows) to diversify their first party and Xbox game pass

Bernkastel

its been what? almost 8 month? and actually this is the 'proper' confirmation from phil after quite long time...before at june 2019 yoshida revealed in interview the progress of the negotiation:

here interview at gamescom 2014 that yoshida told us that Square is ready to launch the game on xbox one once ms allowed its players to play on cross-platform servers and 2015 he clarify again in interview that they still in negotiation

and later 2016 phil 'still' expressed his interest on twitter

i could not find any update on 2017 and 2018...but fans been waiting for it for quite time there ..well atleast after all those years, phil gave us assurance that it will come 2020.
Better late than never.

Thats not confirmation though. That was just PR and Phil was expressing his interest. But this is a confirmation from both YoshiP and Phil that it is coming.

Kumomeme

Thats not confirmation though. That was just PR and Phil was expressing his interest. But this is a confirmation from both YoshiP and Phil that it is coming.
thats confirmation that ms already looking toward it and things been in negotiation atleast since 2015.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

thats confirmation that ms already looking toward it and things been in negotiation atleast since 2015.
No they have not.
"That would be great, we'd love to have FF14 on Xbox One. " Its just expressing interest. He also said the same thing about the FASA IP's recently, does not mean they are working on one.
YoshiP himself said they have only been working on it since last year.

Vawn

Banned

Maybe an official announcement, but Yoshi P spoke about Xbox many times pretty much since the game launched a decade ago.

Back then, he said basically Xbox wouldn't allow the port because of cross-play requirement (yes, Xbox, not PlayStation was the one against cross-platform play).

It's been different hurdles throughout the last 10 years or so. But Xbox discussions came up a lot.

Ten_Fold

I doubt Sony will have really any exclusive JRPG nowadays, they are more into movie type games, Microsoft will probably have a few, hopefully a lost odyssey remaster or something new. Right now if you want JRPGS the switch is the place to go.

Kumomeme

No they have not.
"That would be great, we'd love to have FF14 on Xbox One. " Its just expressing interest. He also said the same thing about the FASA IP's recently, does not mean they are working on one.
YoshiP himself said they have only been working on it since last year.
read those link i give please...
everyone knew that the game already in negotiation/talk between square enix and microsoft for years...only just november 2019 we get the 'assurance' from phil that it will coming 2020 after years of negotiation. The talks already happened for years....it just there no official mutual agreement and confirmation yet until last year. But now we already half of 2020.

yoshida itself already expressed the interest since 2014 and ms actually acknowledge it and they been negotiated about it atleast since 2015:

He mentioned that Microsoft’s announcement specifically targets Windows 10, but Final Fantasy XIV is playable on Windows 8 and 7 as well. In addition to this, cross-play with PlayStation consoles also has to be considered, so there are still concerns on that front.

On top of that, Square Enix still doesn’t know how widespread Windows 10 will become. That said, they’re still negotiating with Microsoft for a port.

fast foward it still in negotiation revealed by yoshida for march 2019 interview:

"So we are talking with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Google, of course; we cannot say anything at the moment because we are still in negotiations, but once we have details we can make an announcement; we can bring the news to everyone. We are currently negotiating will all those platforms."

and actually square already considered to bring it to since xbox 360

Despite negotiation with Microsoft concerning an Xbox 360 version of the game, the two companies were unable to agree upon the use of Xbox Live, as Square Enix wanted a shared server across all platforms and Microsoft would not give them the full access necessary to implement this. Because of this disagreement and the consequent extra manpower needed to develop a version separate from the other two platforms, development on the Xbox 360 version was stopped.

as quoted above, one of reason why the negotiation keep going on for years 2015-today, is due to ms regulation

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
We still have some big JRPGs due out this gen like Tales or Arise and Granblue Relink. I’m sure we will get more next gen JRPGs. We just haven’t seen too many new games yet in general and JRPGs are slower to make the transition normally.

Bernkastel

read those link i give please...
everyone knew that the game already in negotiation/talk between square enix and microsoft for years...only just november 2019 we get the 'assurance' from phil that it will coming 2020 after years of negotiation. The talks already happened for years....it just there no official mutual agreement and confirmation yet until last year. But now we already half of 2020.

yoshida itself already expressed the interest since 2014 and ms actually acknowledge it and they been negotiated about it atleast since 2015

fast foward it still in negotiation revealed by yoshida for march 2019 interview

and actually square already considered to bring it to since xbox 360

as quoted above, one of reason why the negotiation keep going on for years 2015-today, is due to ms regulation
Going back to your original post, didnt you say it would be console exclusive to Playstation since Xbox port is "uncertain".

Kumomeme

Going back to your original post, didnt you say it would be console exclusive to Playstation since Xbox port is "uncertain".
i never said anything about 'exclusive'

point me what i said

i just said there higher chances for ps5 but xbox status still not clear...there already confirmation from yoshida during UK fanfest and his face appear during ps5 reveal....dont tell me you triggered to this?

nobody said anything about exclusives here..and reread all my post after that..i also looking foward to it come to xbox.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft tried sunk a ton of money and lost a ton of money. I would love another rpg studio from Microsoft focused on jrpg games but no legit eastern studio would allow themselves to be purchased by Microsoft. They don't seem to interested in funding big expensive full exclusives they would rather spend the money on new studios. The only exclusives are small time ones that are timed nothing expensive.

jakinov

None of those are actually first-party. First-party classification refers to how the game is made and whether or not it's done literally by a third-party. Either way, a lot of those are from a long time ago and a very small amount for it to be considered common.

Bernkastel

i never said anything about 'exclusive'

point me what i said

i just said there higher chances for ps5 but xbox status still not clear...there already confirmation from yoshida during UK fanfest and his face appear during ps5 reveal....dont tell me you triggered to this?

nobody said anything about exclusives here..and reread all my post after that..i also looking foward to it come to xbox.
In a thread about "1st party JRPGs", you said this
And I only said this
Now tell me who got triggered after that ?

Kumomeme

In a thread about "1st party JRPGs", you said this

And I only said this

Now tell me who got triggered after that ?

why you triggered over this? nobody said about exclusives..did you get offended with

...since we dont know the state of xbox version.

i didnt mean anything bad...and also which is correct...we dont know current state of it..i never said it would never come..it just we dont know the progress of it...last time we hear update about it around March this year and Phil spoke about this November last year

for ps5, yoshida already talk about it during UK fanfest and his face also appear on the recent ps5 video reveal..so that why said

.. there highly chances that it would released on ps5

but when you saying

this is what i replied, said to you after this:

we heard that quite long time ago..still no sign of any actual date...maybe we see something this july event...might be good timing to launch the game on xbox with 5.3 patch.
this clearly positive response from me...patch 5.3 might coming soon..probably next month, july which is coincide with upcoming xbox event..the patch also come with big update that fix and trim lot of unnecessary content from base game so newcomer had easier time to proceed the base game A Realm Reborn.

probably you get triggered when you stressed the confirmation is very recent despite it been almost 8 month and i said the game already in negotiation since 2015

chill bruh..nobody badmouth xbox here..i looking foward it since quite long time too..i also want it to come to switch

Last edited:

mejin

Traditional jrpg seems unlikely coming from Sony. They are already been covered by 3rd party.

And Xbox will never have the same suuport.

Bernkastel

why you triggered over this? nobody said about exclusives..did you get offended with

i didnt mean anything bad...and also which is correct...we dont know current state of it..i never said it would never come..it just we dont know the progress of it...last time we hear update about it around March this year and Phil spoke about this November last year

for ps5, yoshida already talk about it during UK fanfest and his face also appear on the recent ps5 video reveal..so that why said

but when you saying

this is what i replied, said to you after this:

this clearly positive response from me...patch 5.3 might coming soon..probably next month, july..the patch also come with big update that fix and trim lot of unnecessary content from base game so newcomer had easier time to proceed the base game A Realm Reborn.

probably you get triggered when you stressed the confirmation is very recent despite it been almost 8 month and i said the game already in negotiation since 2015

chill bruh..nobody badmouth xbox here..i looking foward it since quite long time too..i also want it to come to switch
I am pretty sure my next post was more of a reply to Vawn then you, but then you went full essay mode. But hey, we can always stop if that was a misunderstanding.

Dolomite

Xbox 360 and PS3 are the last consoles I remember offering large first party JRPG titles.
Hell even in Japan most gaming has migrated to mobile

Top Bottom