• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 beta rolls out today with new accessibility and audio options, social features, and UI enhancements

Beep sound stays! I had it since the PS3 days and it will be strange flat-out disabling it. I will test the lower volumes though when the patch finally comes out for all users.

Clover904

I love the new volume options for the start up beep. No more waking up the girlfriend when i sneak out of bed to play some games, lol.

thatJohann

After many hours testing Atmos vs LPCM, I settled back on uncompressed LPCM. It just sounds purer, clearer and louder. Atmos sounds a bit muffled in comparison and has a tiny bit of latency not present in uncompressed LPCM.

After many hours testing Atmos vs LPCM, I settled back on uncompressed LPCM. It just sounds purer, clearer and louder. Atmos sounds a bit muffled in comparison and has a tiny bit of latency not present in uncompressed LPCM.
With lpcm being uncompressed audio it should sound clear and clean but atmos shouldn't sound muffled something could be going wrong

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
With lpcm being uncompressed audio it should sound clear and clean but atmos shouldn't sound muffled something could be going wrong

Nope, he's right, DA does sound more "muffled" compared to LPCM, I noticed that also when wearing headphones, LPCM sounded "cleaner" both when it came to the higher frequencies AND Bass (i.e : both sounded more pronounced in a good way)

Last edited:

thatJohann

Nope, he's right, DA does sound more "muffled" compared to LPCM, I noticed that also when wearing headphones, LPCM sounded "cleaner" both when it came to the higher frequencies AND Bass (i.e : both sounded more pronounced in a good way)
I’m using two OG Apple HomePods w Atmos connected via Apple TV 4K using eARC and passthrough.

Setting anything on PS5 other than 2ch LPCM makes the volume lower regardless of Atmos. But when selecting Atmos, it sounds lower and a bit constrained. And a tiny bit of latency. I noticed gunshots in Returnal sounded dull and lacked impact. When I switched back to LPCM the volume and sound power came back and zero lag at all.

It could be perhaps that the OG HomePods (even though they support Atmos), are not the best at processing the unique Atmos on PS5 (aka the 3D Audio Tempest container).

thatJohann

Wait a minute. I’m using eARC and Passthrough. But I just discovered there’s a setting on my LG C1 called “Select HDMI Input Audio“ and the options are Bitstream and PCM. What should I select for my PS5’s HDMI input?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Wait a minute. I’m using eARC and Passthrough. But I just discovered there’s a setting on my LG C1 called “Select HDMI Input Audio“ and the options are Bitstream and PCM. What should I select for my PS5’s HDMI input?
Bitstream

Chronos24

Ok so after installing the update and updating the PSVR 2 and controllers, they still have the problem where you have to use the dual sense to select a VR game, THEN turn the VR controllers on for them to work properly in game. Ah well I guess...

Kerotan

Decent update. An 8TB SSD is complete overkill but I guess this will ultimately bring the price of them down which is good.

Hopefully the ps5 slim has a slightly bigger SSD then the current one which only gives about 700GB of actual usable space. I'd at the very least expect a PS5 pro to give us 1TB of actual usable space. So Maybe a 1.5TB which would leave us with about 1.2TB to use.

Yo, yo, yo, my boys, turn on haptics for menu navigation! It's one of the best updates in years and years honestly. Gave OG fat boy PS3 tingles.

Last edited:

Elios83

I'm reading that PS Stars support is within the firmware which imo is a good news since the 3D trophies should look better than within the app. Also it's a nice program that allowed me to get 60$ in rewards so far, being limited to the ps app many people don't even know about it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm reading that PS Stars support is within the firmware which imo is a good news since the 3D trophies should look better than within the app. Also it's a nice program that allowed me to get 60$ in rewards so far, being limited to the ps app many people don't even know about it.
I said way back when they announced the program, that I have a feeling it may replace the now defunct Accolades section in the firmware.

Demigod Mac

Would be good if Sony added an option to only enable Atmos for titles that support Tempest 3D.
I'd expect the Dolby Surround, DTS and Auro3D upmixers on modern AVRs would better handle games that natively use stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio.

Does anyone experience loud crackles or pops when switching to the Dolby Atmos setting? I am eARCing from a 77" LG G1OLED to an Onkyo TX-RZ50 AVR and I have no problem when I use any of the other PS5 audio priority modes, only the new Dolby Atmos setting.

Forsete

Gold Member
Does anyone experience loud crackles or pops when switching to the Dolby Atmos setting? I am eARCing from a 77" LG G1OLED to an Onkyo TX-RZ50 AVR and I have no problem when I use any of the other PS5 audio priority modes, only the new Dolby Atmos setting.
Yes I've heard it a few times. But with the latest beta update I believe it has disappeared, or I haven't noticed it anyway.

Top Bottom