• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Downloads (Even PS4 Games) Are Super SSD Speed Fast

ManaByte

I have my PS5 hooked up via Ethernet with ~450 down and PSN downloads are AMAZINGLY fast. Even PS4 games installing to an external HDD.

I just downloaded the 13GB Shadow of the Colossus in less than five minutes.

After years of shit PSN downloads this is amazing.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Mine has been super fast also. Downloaded Demon’s Souls quick as all get out. I’m enjoying hitting speeds close to 1 gig.

Sleepwalker

I love it. I'm loving my PS5 as a whole.

The xbox was already on a decent place last gen when it came to QOL and now is just a lot faster but oh boy, the PS5 is world's apart from the PS4, terrific upgrade. In love with the console so far.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm getting really good speeds.. I have gigabit and use wireless and was downloading at a rate of about a gigabyte per minute.

reinking

Gold Member
This is going to sound like warring I know but it is my experience. I noticed my downloads/installs for the PS5 are significantly faster than the XBSX. After downloading a few games on the Series X I was surprised at how fast a game downloaded on my PS5. It might be something else at play on my network but I didn't do anything any different for either console. I just set them up on the network.

Birdo

Banned
Does the PS5 need double the game size for updates? Or have they finally ditched that?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There's definitely more than just "oh wow SSDs are fast" going on. I think Sony did some network upgrades on their end, and perhaps these upgrades are only accessible to PS5 owners.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
There's definitely more than just "oh wow SSDs are fast" going on. I think Sony did some network upgrades on their end, and perhaps these upgrades are only accessible to PS5 owners.
Some of it is on the hardware end regarding the PS5 as I’ve mentioned earlier in the thread. The network interface hardware on the PS5 is much better, but Sony definitely had to increase throughput on their end as well.
So it’s likely a combination of factors but strongly influenced by better hardware and past (justified) criticisms on their shitty download speeds.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I have my PS5 hooked up via Ethernet with ~450 down and PSN downloads are AMAZINGLY fast. Even PS4 games installing to an external HDD.

I just downloaded the 13GB Shadow of the Colossus in less than five minutes.

After years of shit PSN downloads this is amazing.

woah! Where’s this come from? Wonder what’s changed?

I only have 250 down but I just downloaded Genshin Impact to my external SSD and it felt like 2 minutes. I didn’t time it but it was fast as fuck

Be sure to visit the OT, and let us know if you have any questions.

SkylineRKR

During launch my PS4 speeds were also capping out my limits. They were blazing fast. Later on they started to become shit and throttled.

Esca

Before on the ps4 it would use like 25-30% of my connection most times, now it maxes it out every time. I was so surprised when I had spiderman mm download before I was even done fully messing with settings on the system. Great qol improvement

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've always had pretty good speeds on PSN. Maybe not that it fully saturates my 100 Mbps connection, but at least several MB/s most of the time.

Its seriously fast, redownloaded all of COD MW packs and updates in an hour last night.

Really impressed with the speed of this thing.

Sent some games to download while my PS5 was in rest and caught these speeds in my Google app:

gWSiN8w.jpg

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Both my PS4 and PS5 downloads are in around 100-120Mbps.

Top Bottom