• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 - New Demon Souls Screenshots

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
uLqgR7K.jpg

demons-souls-screenshot-02-en-12jun20

vhmI5FY.jpg

42vRMqL.jpg

BPmq5w2.jpg

I've NEVER played any Souls game, but the screenshots and gameplay video is forcing me to buy this game at launch. Especially after being told it's not hard in the "Ninja Giden" or "DMC" type of way.

Last edited:
EjGZcaKXkAEqDRu

EjGZdk7WoAEjYcB

EjGZe3jXsAE7-Gv

EjGZeQtX0AAeiMe

I've NEVER played any Souls game, but the screenshots and gameplay video is forcing me to buy this game at launch. Especially after being told it's not hard in the "Ninja Giden" or "DMC" type of way.
You gotta play this game and then go back and play the Dark Souls remastered then Bloodborne. If you give it a chance and understand that learning the combat and dying is part of the game, you won't regret it.

ruvikx

Banned
EjGZcaKXkAEqDRu

EjGZdk7WoAEjYcB

EjGZe3jXsAE7-Gv

EjGZeQtX0AAeiMe

It's not "hard", just punishing to those who don't pay attention or concentrate. I've always had a far, far easier time playing Souls games than stuff like God of War (the original trilogy) on hard.

Souls games are rewarding, i.e. learn an enemy's attacks, learn the game, learn the mechanisms, learn the shortcuts etc. it's very rewarding. Anyone screaming about "difficulty" is a bit weird IMO.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's really not hard. If you're having trouble with a boss, summon a couple of random helpers and it becomes a cakewalk.

Went through the game solo (they had shut down the online portion) in 2018 and platt'ed it. Was challenging on some, but all about patience, weapon selection based on archstone enemies, and working the tendencies proper.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Jesus we're in for a treat this gen. That looks so good. Making me rethink waiting a whole year before jumping in.

Any word on if the ps5 will super sample for 1080p?

Cannot wait to see GoW and everything else first party from Sony.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks amazing. It's a pity it's a Souls game which is not my cup of tea.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looking so good. this gonna be a trip! i bought a PS5 when i found out this was a launch title. am so psyched just thinking about how they will do everything, exploring that awesome world again, with insanely good graphics. gonna be soooo sweeet.

OP if you want to dive in, I recommend trying Dark Souls III. it is the most recent, has the most QOL, looks the best (tho Bloodborne might have it beat w art design). 3 is the final Souls game, so they use it to explore elements from across the series. if you dive in there, you will get a good feel for elements from the various Souls games. in fact many people complained it was "too much like Dark Souls" but after playing Demon's, I found that 3 was more like Demon's than any other Souls game. the Firelink Shrine and Irithyll Dungeon/Profane Capital areas are highly reminiscent of two Demon's areas, and Lothric Castle has a strong feel for Boletaria, the opening level of Demon's.

Demon's is really great, almost an ur-text of the entire series. there are elements in here that will show up in all 3 Souls games and Bloodborne. I was kind of shocked when arriving at the Tower of Latria and discovering some very Bloodborne-style enemies and atmosphere. Demon's is like all the other games in that it shares many common elements, like Patches, the dragon fire breathing on a bridge (probably the best implementation too), crystal lizards, gargoyles that carry you away, rolling skeletons, etc.

Rob_27

Looks very tasty, i like the walking about and killing the gimps. But useless at the bosses. Will prob still get it though.

Nymphae

Banned
I played a lot of the OG game and was going to skip this, but after watching some video the other day I came away surprisingly impressed, I'm not usually gushing over visuals but this looks crazy good. $100 Canadian for a remaster makes me die a little inside though.

LordOfChaos

You gotta play this game and then go back and play the Dark Souls remastered then Bloodborne. If you give it a chance and understand that learning the combat and dying is part of the game, you won't regret it.

I'd advise Bloodborne first, it's harder to go backwards from a locked 60fps to its frame pacing issues. And imo, it teaches you a more fun way to play Souls with no hiding behind a shield.

I'd advise Bloodborne first, it's harder to go backwards from a locked 60fps to its frame pacing issues. And imo, it teaches you a more fun way to play Souls with no hiding behind a shield.
I find Bloodborne's combat to be inferior personally so I disagree but I can understand your point of view.

I also disagree with the hiding behind a shield being less "fun" just different. You gotta start somewhere.

Boneyblaff

As a huge souls fan, I can't wait to try this out as I never played the original. Going with Xbox for the start of next gen, but I'll definitely be buying it when I get a PS5 next year!

LordOfChaos

I find Bloodborne's combat to be inferior personally so I disagree but I can understand your point of view.

I also disagree with the hiding behind a shield being less "fun" just different. You gotta start somewhere.

There's certainly different opinions about that, but either way I still find it hard to go from a smooth 60fps game to Bloodborne's 30 with frame pacing issues, I'd still recommend that first and then go to DSR to enjoy both the most

When I went between Doom and it, it was like my eyes and brain start to expect the extra visual information after a while playing a 60fps game, and then going back to Bloodborne all the frame pacing chops look even worse than just playing it at first

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It kinda is hard though isnt it? its what many people love about the games, the sense of accomplishment.
It's hard if you want it to be. One of the things I learned when I first started playing Demon's Souls is that there's a lot of challenge up front, but if you want to, you can bend the game's rules or break them to cheese through pretty much anything. Want to kill that menacing red dragon who burns you to a crisp? Buy a few hundred arrows and you can kill him without ever taking a hit. Are you finding the final boss too challenging? You can poison him from a distance without even triggering him.

Again, the game is as hard as you want it to be, you just have to think beyond what's in front of you if you want to circumvent the challenge.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Hold on.......that's possible? The Souls games have some form of multi-player?
Yeah, that's one of their biggest features. A loosely connected world with other players. You can summon some to help, or you can summon some to duel. This is completely optional, though. If you don't want help/duels/invasions, you can stay in soul form, and it's basically single player.

Last edited:

Esppiral

I have to say that didn't find the gameplay videos amazing, actually quite underwhelming, but I avoided posting my opinion because console wars and that shit, but if those screenshots are in game the game looks great.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I have to say that didn't find the gameplay videos amazing, actually quite underwhelming, but I avoided posting my opinion because console wars and that shit, but if those screenshots are in game the game looks great.
I'm a big fan of these games, and I felt the same way. They made the combat look much simpler than it should be in reality.

Top Bottom