• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Official Next-Gen Load Times Video

TBiddy

Here’s a mock-up of fast travel for those who haven’t seen it.

Perhaps a silly question - but the video from Sony shows a reduction from ~8 seconds to ~0.8 seconds. How does that fit with a reduction from ~15 seconds to ~0.8 seconds?

meirl

Banned
User has already been warned for low effort console wars. If you have a point to make, then make it without the melodrama and hyperbolic company bashing
Seems very desperate by Sony. Looks like they know they are going to fail nextgen.

I mean, this is pathetic, they should use next gen games, not lastgen games.
Of course the loading times are much shorter. What a joke.

Seems very desperate by Sony. Looks like they know they are going to fail nextgen.

While I think you're being a bit harsh as loads will no doubt be fast I have to agree, it's a false equivalency showcasing loading on games not representative of what we'll see next gen.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Neat now how about the storage for such games? Or am I gonna run out of space almost instantly again?

jonnyp

This must be sarcasm otherwise you need to log off the internet for a while.

There are no next gen games ready yet for a start. And they wouldn't use an unnamed next gen title to show off the technology. It's not like the technology will not work with next gen games so what in the hell is your point? There's no desperation on Sony's part, they are showing off some technology of the PS5.

The only pathetic thing here is your troll post of epic proportions.

Last edited:
This must be sarcasm otherwise you need to log off the internet for a while.

There are no next gen games ready yet for a start. And they wouldn't use an unnamed next gen title to show off the technology. It's not like the technology will not work with next gen games so what in the hell is your point? There's no desperation on Sony's part, they are showing off some technology of the PS5.

The only pathetic thing here is your troll post of epic proportions.
It's not a troll post and he has a point, the Xbox One X via backward compatibility in all titles dramatically decreases load time for 360 games. To add to this in some games loading is so fast you can't even make out the loading screen, it's just an image that blinks in and out of existence then you're in the game.

That's effectively the same thing here operating under the same standards, new tech running last generation games with near instantaneous loading.

yeshrug.png

Huh?

They are showing a comparison

Why would they compare loading times if the game isn’t on the PS4?

It’s like comparing the resolution of God of War on the PS4 vs Xbox One X

Huh?

They are showing a comparison

Why would they compare loading times if the game isn’t on the PS4?

It’s like comparing the resolution of God of War on the PS4 vs Xbox One X
Because it's an advertisement of tech for next-generation but they're making use of it on last generation software which broadly skews the results and is essentially lying.

See below.

It's not a troll post and he has a point, the Xbox One X via backward compatibility in all titles dramatically decreases load time for 360 games. To add to this in some games loading is so fast you can't even make out the loading screen, it's just an image that blinks in and out of existence then you're in the game.

That's effectively the same thing here operating under the same standards, new tech running last generation games with near instantaneous loading.

yeshrug.png

Still not understanding

How would they showcase and compare a game that hasn’t been announced or won’t exist on the PS4 at all?
Simple, they simply talk about an unannounced project and speak to how it would load on a more traditional drive versus their new setup.

This is just marketing BS with old software showing how it loads in their new environment and then intentionally leaving out detail that this level of loading would not be achieved on next-gen software.

Simple, they simply talk about an unannounced project and speak to how it would load on a more traditional drive versus their new setup.

This is just marketing BS with old software showing how it loads in their new environment and then intentionally leaving out detail that this level of loading would not be achieved on next-gen software.
Ok but how would they show the comparison if the game isn’t on PS4.

bitbydeath

Games through BC haven’t sped up like this previously though (maybe shaved an extra second or two at best)

Tripolygon

Banned
With a graph like anyone else would...
So you want them to create a "nextgen" game for PS5, port the game over to PS4, then do a benchmark and then create a graph based on the benchmark of both hardware.

Or, now just bear with me for a moment;

They can just use an existing game that relies on the typical standard development methods used in the industry, port the game to PS5 and show a video comparison on how the storage solution help alleviates current development problems of bandwidth limitations and reduces load and streaming time.

Games through BC haven’t sped up like this previously though (maybe shaved an extra second or two at best)
That's not true at all, loading on the Xbox One X as I have said dramatically decreases load times in BC titles and in some instances depending on the game or the kind of load needed it can be nearly instantaneous.

So you want them to create a "nextgen" game for PS5, port the game over to PS4, then do a benchmark and then create a graph based on the benchmark of both hardware.

They can just use an existing game that relies on the typical standard development methods used in the industry, port the game to PS5 and show a video comparison on how the storage solution help alleviates current development problems of bandwidth limitations and reduces load and streaming time.
People are being quite obtuse tonight...

They run a multitude of next-gen games in-development through a loading phase on the PS5 developer kit coupled with a traditional drive and then with their NVME solution and create a graph comparing the two.

Done, and done.

Last edited:

nowhat

They run a multitude of next-gen games in-development through a loading phase on the PS5 developer kit coupled with a traditional drive and then with their NVME solution and create a graph comparing the two.
Uhh. If PS5 is never going to have a traditional drive, what's the point of such comparison?

Ar¢tos

Stop weaponizing logic!!

Elenchus

Banned
Timing is interesting. Seems someone wants the news of their new partnership with MS out of the headlines. Wag the dog eh? 🤔

thelastword

Banned

Ha, I didn;t see this thread...Yes, Spiderman is not a next gen game, and I said that much in the other thread, that perhaps loadtimes in a more detailed, larger next generation game, may not laod as fast as it does here, yet, there's still a possibility that it can, because devs are going to work with SSD's as a standard piece of hardware across all consoles, that makes a huge difference.....I'm pretty sure, the tech surrounding it and improvements can be realized in how they tackle loadtimes on an SSD for next gen games...

What Crystal Dynamics did with Soul Reaver back on PS1, what Naughty did with Jak and Daxter and so many games after speaks volumes on the hardware they had at that time.....Naughty is the ICE team, if they say they will eliminate loadtimes, they will, especially if they have hardware that aids them greatly there......They will write the software to make it so.......or minimize loads to imperceptible levels..

Timing is interesting. Seems someone wants the news of their new partnership with MS out of the headlines. Wag the dog eh? 🤔
Except,

1) This is the demonstration Wired saw weeks ago during their interview with Cerny
2) This was released as part of their investors day briefing, which was probably scheduled a year ago
3) The investors day slide deck has a section talking about the Microsoft partnership

Tripolygon

Banned
People are being quite obtuse tonight...

Done, and done.
I'm afraid you are the one that is being obtuse. These nextgen consoles will not be using regular HDD as standard as it's becoming more clearer. There is inherently no difference in how games will be made next gen compared to now. Games are currently made with high-quality assets that get scaled down to run on current gen hardware.

This demo serves multiple purposed

1. It implies there is backwards compatibility which has been stated because they are using Spiderman PS4 to demonstrate it.

2. It shows developers that bandwidth has been greatly improved using one of the most popular games this gen which also coincidentally had a very popular talk at GDC about bandwidth limitaion. We are dealing with a less than 50MB/s to greater than 2GB/s of bandwidth.

3. It shows consumers how a current gen game will run on nextgen backing up their claim of wanting to eliminate load times or greatly reducing it.

4. Just enjoy the fucking demo, why everything has to be nitpicked is beyond me. It is simply;
This is how games currently run on current hardware and this is how games will run on nextgen hardware. No need for bars and graphs and charts, just a simple video that is easy to understand.

Petrae

Neat now how about the storage for such games? Or am I gonna run out of space almost instantly again?

There’s still time for 16TB hard drives to maybe go on sale before Gen9 begins. Whatever is included as on-board storage (1-2TB) will fill up quickly with data size inflation continuing.

HeresJohnny

As someone who grew up with carts, it'd be nice to be back closer to no load times, but I'm not sure I want to pay the cost associated with it. We'll see. No/little load times at $399? Sign me up. $499 or $599? Eh, my Pro is just fine.

Gamernyc78

Banned

yeshrug.png

It's a troll post when you come out talking shit a certain way use words like "Desperate" Yeah the console leader in sales is desperate lol 🤣🤣🤣😭😭😭pure nonsense by the poster. I see the green allegiance is back in full swing lol

Last edited:

Roitorb

I understand the argument that it’s a last gen port but if they showed a next gen one then the PS4 would obviously struggle even more as it isn’t capable of playing that software. It’s a no win situation really and I understand what they are trying to show.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ugh, this thing again... Look its impressive, of course it is. But its also not exactly what you think it is. First of all, both machines will be offering increased loading speeds on backwards compatible titles. The current mid gen refresh consoles already do this, however, the memory jump wasn't good enough, coupled with the same-ish CPU lock, and the fact they still used the same storage medium. But in all honesty, there is a very specific reason they keep using spider man to hit this point home. If you had spider man on a PC with an SSD and some decent memory, then the same thing would likely happen. To understand it, you have to understand how some engines load assets into memory. Spider man is one of the titles that will call an asset into memory and load its lowest LOD first, then load everything else. Once all essential assets are loaded, the game will load, and THEN the world will be populated by higher density media and higher quality LODs. In other words, its a game where you can load up a save, and see things pop in, textures increase in resolution etc, once the games loaded. A totally valid form of media memory usage, btw. But its also very quick. If you were to load a COD game, for example, it would take longer.

Now, this next point is the kicker.. Spider man has very low quality compressed assets. This means that not only is the memory footprint very small for an asset its calling into memory, but also that it needs CPU time to decompress the asset. This means that an increase in CPU power will see this happen very quickly, and even more so when you use lower resolution assets. Spider man is a very nice looking game, but not up close. Its asset recycling is very heavy, as is most open world games of its type. Again, not a fault on the game or engine at all, that's just how its built. But its not a very intensive game memory wise, not even current gen wise. Now, do you REALLY think Spider man is going to be up there with a common next gen title? We will be looking at 4096x4096 being the norm for a texture res, with player models far exceeding the polycounts we have now, and animations being far more in number (which again adds up when you have a higher density model). Its all exponential, and will always increase with each new real generation of systems. You will be looking at, at the very least, a 3x to 4x increase in memory usage for a decent next gen title.

In other words, yes, the early games for the next gen systems will be very quick on loading ,even more so with the SSD install type ideas floating around and higher bandwidth memory. But as the games increase in fidelity, you will see the normal long loading times. The only way you wont see them, is with masked loading, i.e. an initial load, and then all loading is done in the background in some form.

Now, this is in no way a slag off towards Sony. Microsoft and indeed PC users will see these same benefits and ideas.

But what I AM saying is: As always, keep your expectations in check. Sony are being very cleaver here in the way they have shown this feature off and its got people talking. But just... Keep your expectations in check.

ethomaz

Banned

No. He wants Sony shares a graph based in guesses without any real test at all lol

Ridiculous.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

Trogdor1123

There’s still time for 16TB hard drives to maybe go on sale before Gen9 begins. Whatever is included as on-board storage (1-2TB) will fill up quickly with data size inflation continuing.
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't these faster drives allow for some kind of higher compression? Maybe get some of the benefits still?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While I think you're being a bit harsh as loads will no doubt be fast I have to agree, it's a false equivalency showcasing loading on games not representative of what we'll see next gen.

It's only a false equivalency if the reader or viewer is too dumb to understand that the same will apply for PS5 games if this "new tech" wasn't applied in the PS5. Maybe it won't be 0.8 seconds, but if it's 5 seconds instead of 60 seconds then what's the problem?

Top Bottom