• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners- disc drive or no disc drive?

disc or digital only?

• PS5 Disc Edition

Votes: 425 76.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 22 3.9%

• Total voters

BossLackey

Gold Member
I bought the digital version as that was the only thing I could get my hands on. Very luckily for me, I got an email from Walmart saying they oversold their stock by mistake, but were able to procure more immediately after. But they were all disc versions. They sent one to me for no additional charge.

So I got the hottest, hardest to find console for $100 less than MSRP, let alone scalping prices.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Disc. Totally okay with buying digital, but I have too many PS4 games on disc (including some entitled to upgrades) to just toss them out, and I like being able to grab shit cheap or lend games to the wifey.

ZoukGalaxy

Physical.

People trusting corporates give me a good laugh every time.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

And no, physical are 100% working without day 1 patch, don't spread misinformations.

I don't trust the judgment of anyone that bug a digital only console.

I'm honestly impressed that Sony didn't screw everyone by producing more digital version to see if people would jump at it while the PS5 it's in short supply. But then again, I guess people mostly buy digital anyway so Sony might just want to pocket that $100.

Digital for me, xbox is my main console and I just wait till the PS exclusives go cheap digitaly and grab them then.
Digital and cheap don't go together.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Sounds like the problem is ADD, not disc

Also, your argument is not walking 3 feet is more valuable to you, than thousands of dollars in exorbitant digital costs
I don't care for the cost of games, I have the income - not having to handle a game collection is worth it for me.
I can deal with it for a 4K BD movie night, but not much more.

Wohc

Banned
Disc all the way. I can easily get Forbidden West or GT7 brandnew and sealed for 30-35 Euro while digital is 80 Euro. Discs also can be sold, collected, traded or given to a friend.

Always physical just to have that as an option plus I do collect some physical media just to have. That said, swapping around games without the need to change a disc is just too fucking good.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I have a disk drive but that thing is loud as fuck when it’s spinning. Quiet as a mouse when it’s not though. Which is good as it’s usually only for a few minutes at the start.

Disc. I use it for movies and still play some of my old ps4 games that I have on disc. Plus leaves me the option to play PS5 games on disc if I find myself with any.

Gamerguy84

Wanted a digital but could only fund disc which is a good thing. Comparing prices online compared to what I've found used at GS disc is cheaper.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I don't trust the judgment of anyone that bug a digital only console.

I'm honestly impressed that Sony didn't screw everyone by producing more digital version to see if people would jump at it while the PS5 it's in short supply. But then again, I guess people mostly buy digital anyway so Sony might just want to pocket that $100.

Digital and cheap don't go together.

It is if your happy to wait, i cant remember exaclty but i got God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima and last of us 2 for under £25 last yr, thats cheap enough for me, I know there not PS5 games but at some point the games I want will be a price im happy with. Il probably only get 5-8 games all gen for PS5 aswell.

It is if your happy to wait, i cant remember exaclty but i got God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima and last of us 2 for under £25 last yr, thats cheap enough for me, I know there not PS5 games but at some point the games I want will be a price im happy with. Il probably only get 5-8 games all gen for PS5 aswell.
You still be paying more for old digital games compared to if you discs most of the time, when you have the disc drive you least keep the option to take advantage of that price difference.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'll only go pure digital when there's literally no option for discs.

Not the best example, it's more of the exception, but I bought a PSPgo and it was an absolute embarrassment in terms of the games that were available on the PSN.

Thankfully it's easy to softmod and I do love the thing but I'll never go strictly digital if I can prevent it.

Lone Wolf

Got a digital edition, then finally got my hands on a disc edition like I originally wanted. I have lots of blu rays and UHDs, so I want disc. I haven’t decided what to do with the digital PS5. It’s in its box, barely used.

LordOfChaos

I was looking for the digital when I got mine a year ago, but they were making like 10x more disk models, so that's the one I ended up being able to buy unscalped.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Digital only. Went for it because I was all digital on PS4 and the physical growth looks gross. I forgot how much games hold their value at the start of a new gen though so sort of kicking myself. I gameshare with my brother though so actually probably works out better. Got Elden Ring and Horizon for just over £50.

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Disk only. I am full on digital but saving 100 bucks to remove any ability at reading disks seems foolish. A friend brought over SIFU on disc last weekend and I was reminded how dumb digital only would be.

Kokoloko85

Ive got a disc version. But Ive never used it lol.
I will though for Last Guardian and AC Unity which run unlocked fps on disc

Lunarorbit

I've bought a bunch digit on the store but there's no way I wouldn't have bought a disc drive.

Library system has a robust selection of video games. Hell ya

Disc here. Took me forever to get one at normal price and have had mine about a month. Could have got one 7-8 months ago but didn't want digital.

Not only do I have most games on disc I have an extensive movie collection that ranges from DVD to 4k Blu Ray, so a disc player made the most sense to me.

I bought the disc version, but have sense gone completely digital. If I had the choice today, I would have gone with the $399 digital version.

Quasicat

I wanted digital, but couldn’t wait when I found the disc version. Still all digital, but now with a 4K Blu-ray player for the one movie I own on 4K disc.

Top Bottom