• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pulse 3D Wireless Headset

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I got those and tried them on my PS4. Seemed to cut out and not be great volume...... are these supported on PS4 yet? The usb dongle seemed to be flashing a lot. I switched them off till this Thursday until I get my PS5 but think I might possibly have a dud pair or my Wi-fi access point was messing with the signal. Anyone any similar issues?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great! Do they work with PC?

Of course they do, but I think Actris will work better for now until you get better support for Pulse 3D as they seem to sound way better on PS5, or maybe that's because of the tempest and that PC's general don't have sound cards anymore like before.

I got those and tried them on my PS4. Seemed to cut out and not be great volume...... are these supported on PS4 yet? The usb dongle seemed to be flashing a lot. I switched them off till this Thursday until I get my PS5 but think I might possibly have a dud pair or my Wi-fi access point was messing with the signal. Anyone any similar issues?

They seem to sound shit on PS4, check this out:

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Of course they do, but I think Actris will work better for now until you get better support for Pulse 3D as they seem to sound way better on PS5, or maybe that's because of the tempest and that PC's general don't have sound cards anymore like before.

They seem to sound shit on PS4, check this out:

nice one man, they maybe need a patch or something to work properly on PS4. They are very comfortable though, not sure about the complaints of that. Will check it out on Thursday. 5 more days till the big beast is in my ownership!

nice one man, they maybe need a patch or something to work properly on PS4. They are very comfortable though, not sure about the complaints of that. Will check it out on Thursday. 5 more days till the big beast is in my ownership!

I'm in the same boat. I've been testing my pulse 3Ds on my PS4 pro and find the sound fades out and comes back in every so often. i have seen others are having similar problems on the PS4. I am hoping this is a PS4 related issue and when I try them on my PS5 everything will be fine.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If there is a mic now in the controller, this means that incredible Koss Porta Pro now has now drawbacks on ps5. It is the best sound and comfort + short cable. It's perfect for controller connection.
I highly recommend picking up koss porta pro headphones. The bass is surprisingly fun and the sound is very open. It's a really good gaming combo now that the mic is in the controller

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Arctis PC Software got an equalizer which lets you adjust and save your sound settings, it might help with your lack of low bass.
Used it for setting up my 7x and I'm quite happy with it.
Yeah I haven't bothered to play with the equalizer and settings yet.
I'll plug it into my laptop and try that tonight.

Mr Hyde

I've tried the headset quite a lot on PS4, mainly with Dark Souls 3. No issues with the sound cutting off or low volume, but it does lack bass and some sound effects are rather high pitched and becomes annoying. Would like to have some form of settings where you can tinker a bit with eq and such but I guess the headsets are mainly designed for the PS5.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat. I've been testing my pulse 3Ds on my PS4 pro and find the sound fades out and comes back in every so often. i have seen others are having similar problems on the PS4. I am hoping this is a PS4 related issue and when I try them on my PS5 everything will be fine.

nice to know I don’t have a faulty set then. I watched a 3D audio video on YouTube and when it was working ok it was surreal. It was as if I was hearing people knocking doors Behind me etc. Was really pretty cool.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Bumping this because im considering these for my 5.....have the Sony Gold wireless now but the battery life is terrible. This one supposedly lasts 12 hrs on a full charge and im looking for info on performance

Cornbread78

Bumping this because im considering these for my 5.....have the Sony Gold wireless now but the battery life is terrible. This one supposedly lasts 12 hrs on a full charge and im looking for info on performance
I've had my pair since launch and they sound great, fit just like my Golds (a little snug on my giant melon) and battery life has been great as well.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Great headset. Just a shame Sony didn’t include enough USBs.
Once an external hdd is plugged in alongside PSVR there is no available USB for the dongle. I can’t understand why a dongle is required anyway? Why can’t the headset just connect directly to the PS5 via Bluetooth or something?

BGs

Industry Professional
Great headset. Just a shame Sony didn’t include enough USBs.
Once an external hdd is plugged in alongside PSVR there is no available USB for the dongle. I can’t understand why a dongle is required anyway? Why can’t the headset just connect directly to the PS5 via Bluetooth or something?
When you use PSVR the headphones are connected by cable. No need to use the dongle.

Because bluetooth sucks. Both in terms of quality and in terms of latency.
Which is why it is a 2,4 Ghz wireless headset.
Because bluetooth sucks. Both in terms of quality and in terms of latency.
Which is why it is a 2,4 Ghz wireless headset.
Considering they were launching a headset specifically designed for the ps5 you’d think they’d put the tech in the console for the headset to connect to..

Venuspower

Considering they were launching a headset specifically designed for the ps5 you’d think they’d put the tech in the console for the headset to connect to..
They could. But this would have made the console more expensive. Even when we are talking about 1 ct per unit (it would have been mor expensive in RL) for a feature most people would not even need. Would not make sense from a cost standpoint.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

If you're short on USB, remember there is an audio jack supplied with the Pulse 3D. You can put it in the DualSense or PSVR. You don't have to turn the headset on for this. I do have the dongle in the back of the PS5 and the signal never drops in my living room (with a T7 occupying the other slot). I charge the headset via a spare C to C cable when I also want to charge the controller.

I would prefer the headset wireless connector being built into the PS5, but alas. They're pushing Tempest and all.

Consoles also need more USB. I also have the PS4 cam for VR, the VR box, an arcade stick etc. They're already pretty much forcing you to use an external HDD for PS4 content, unless you want no space for actual PS5 games.

Last edited:
If you're short on USB, remember there is an audio jack supplied with the Pulse 3D. You can put it in the DualSense or PSVR. You don't have to turn the headset on for this. I do have the dongle in the back of the PS5 and the signal never drops in my living room (with a T7 occupying the other slot). I charge the headset via a spare C to C cable when I also want to charge the controller.

I would prefer the headset wireless connector being built into the PS5, but alas. They're pushing Tempest and all.

Consoles also need more USB. I also have the PS4 cam for VR, the VR box, an arcade stick etc. They're already pretty much forcing you to use an external HDD for PS4 content, unless you want no space for actual PS5 games.
Is there a difference between 3d audio in wireless mode vs controller headphone jack ? I remember I read somewhere the controller jack is not as great for 3d audio . Might have been bullshit though .have u noticed any difference?

SkylineRKR

Is there a difference between 3d audio in wireless mode vs controller headphone jack ? I remember I read somewhere the controller jack is not as great for 3d audio . Might have been bullshit though .have u noticed any difference?

I can't hear a noticable difference in DMCV. Perhaps its there, perhaps there isn't. Rtings didnt mention anything about it either. Just that the mic is worse when using wired, but I didn't buy it for this purpose. Via audio jack I can use it with my lap top as well and it sounds great.

I kinda miss BT, since I can't connect it to my pixel and its a much more comfy headset than my JBL.

Grinchy

Banned
I only tried it that way once, so don't really take anything I'm saying here as very factual. I thought everything sounded worse when plugged into the controller. It could just be that the volume mix changes.

I was playing COD with someone in my party, so it really hurt things that plugging directly in takes away the balance slider between game and party chat. Suddenly party voices were loud as hell. Everything was loud as hell, really. The volume controls don't work on the headset when plugged in, either.

It's possible that you can tweak all of this stuff in the system sound settings when you're plugged in this way, but I felt like the 3D audio effect was worse as well. Again, this is all based on like 20 minutes of using the headset this way before saying fuck it and deciding I needed to remember to charge my headset more often.

Last edited:
I only tried it that way once, so don't really take anything I'm saying here as very factual. I thought everything sounded worse when plugged into the controller. It could just be that the volume mix changes.

I was playing COD with someone in my party, so it really hurt things that plugging directly in takes away the balance slider between game and party chat. Suddenly party voices were loud as hell. Everything was loud as hell, really. The volume controls don't work on the headset when plugged in, either.

It's possible that you can tweak all of this stuff in the system sound settings when you're plugged in this way, but I felt like the 3D audio effect was worse as well. Again, this is all based on like 20 minutes of using the headset this way before saying fuck it and deciding I needed to remember to charge my headset more often.
Thays what I have heard that 3d audio is worse when plugged in compared to wireless. Wireless 3d audio is superior apparently but I m not sure

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I basically have no audio set up at the moment.

Is 3D audio for PS5 something that you guys think will eventually be decent with a basic soundbar and subwoofer set up? I typically don't game with headphones on, but I'm considering getting these if it's genuinely the only way to experience the 3D audio.

Grinchy

Banned
Thays what I have heard that 3d audio is worse when plugged in compared to wireless. Wireless 3d audio is superior apparently but I m not sure
yeah I wish I had used it more with the cable to know for sure, but it's already so much more convenient to be wireless and I didn't have a great experience with it wired anyway.

It'll be interesting if someone does some actual testing on it and can confirm for sure.

yeah I wish I had used it more with the cable to know for sure, but it's already so much more convenient to be wireless and I didn't have a great experience with it wired anyway.

It'll be interesting if someone does some actual testing on it and can confirm for sure.
Yea I would love to see that comparison. Wireless vs wired to controller vs wired to console via usbC. I feel wired to console will be the best then wireless then wired to controller .

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Got these for Christmas and really like them. They are really comfy, block out sound, decent audio, don't get to warm, and battery life is good. For the pric I would highly recommend. Only used mine on ps5 though.

My previous headset on my PS4 was a turtle Beach elite 800... And it was crap.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

I just had a read through this. Sounds pretty impressive from Sony.

Their PS4 gold headsets were meant to be decent mid range level although the build quality wasn't great so they tend to break after about 2 years. They cost €90 so not too price for 2/3 years worth.

However these will probably replace their platinum range which usually cost about €160 so more high end.

Bro I bought a creative fatality or some shit named headset in 2008 for 60 bucks and that shit still sounds like a dream even when being used prof for mixing and mastering daily.

I would expect a 90 or 190 euro headset to last forever if treated carefully with respect like a lady.

Unless you are a wife beater, but then a broken headset should be the least of your concerns.

Kerotan

Bro I bought a creative fatality or some shit named headset in 2008 for 60 bucks and that shit still sounds like a dream even when being used prof for mixing and mastering daily.

I would expect a 90 or 190 euro headset to last forever if treated carefully with respect like a lady.

Unless you are a wife beater, but then a broken headset should be the least of your concerns.
Lmao

Klik

I can't believe that buttons on 3D Pulse(volume, mic on/off etc) don't work when you plug headset into 3.5 jack on controller. Buttons only work when you use it wiressly through dongle.

Any reason why is that?

nbkicker

I can't believe that buttons on 3D Pulse(volume, mic on/off etc) don't work when you plug headset into 3.5 jack on controller. Buttons only work when you use it wiressly through dongle.

Any reason why is that?
Because when you plug into 3.5mm jack thats just going straight to the speakers in the headset not through all the circuitry in the headset

Top Bottom