• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs XSX Cyberpunk and BC in general

Why are people acting like XSX is better than PS5 just because it can run BC better? Wasn't it obvious that would be the case?

The way it works is PS5 runs PS4 version, XSX runs Xbox One version. The thing that sets them apart though are PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. We know Xbox One X is way more capable than the PS4 Pro, so PS5 and XSX are essentially running those versions.

So I don't get why people are acting like the PS5 is inferior because it can't run BC as well as XSX, am I missing something here or is everyone that dumb? For example, Cyberpunk has a quality mode on the XSX but not on the PS5, but isn't it in fact that the quality mode is an Xbox One X option and not a XSX option? And obviously since the PS4 Pro is way weaker than the Xbox One X it doesn't have the option.

Please enlight me because I thought that's how it worked and that's the reason why all BC games will run better on XSX

ReBurn

Gold Member
If BC is what matters to you then you'll prefer the machine that plays your games better. Regardless of which one it is.

cyberpunk is irrelevant

Fbh

Have you missed the decades of console fanboys furiously fighting over whose plastic gaming toy is superior?

Taking a single comparison of a single game without context and then posting it all over the internet as undeniable proof that your toy is slightly better is like Fanboy Warring 101.

Last edited:
Why are people acting like XSX is better than PS5 just because it can run BC better? Wasn't it obvious that would be the case?

The way it works is PS5 runs PS4 version, XSX runs Xbox One version. The thing that sets them apart though are PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. We know Xbox One X is way more capable than the PS4 Pro, so PS5 and XSX are essentially running those versions.

So I don't get why people are acting like the PS5 is inferior because it can't run BC as well as XSX, am I missing something here or is everyone that dumb? For example, Cyberpunk has a quality mode on the XSX but not on the PS5, but isn't it in fact that the quality mode is an Xbox One X option and not a XSX option? And obviously since the PS4 Pro is way weaker than the Xbox One X it doesn't have the option.

Please enlight me because I thought that's how it worked and that's the reason why all BC games will run better on XSX

The X1X doesn't have a quality mode.

I already stated it. Because that option is not for the XSX, is for the Xbox One X version. Xbox one X is more powerful than PS4 Pro. PS5 runs PS4 Pro version which doesn't have a quality mode, and XSX runs Xbox Ome X version which does have a quality mode.

no! Because it’s simply NOT just BC,DF already confirmed it:

"Xbox Series X also offers more than just backwards compatibility. While it does seem to share a bunch of features from the Xbox One X version of the game, it gains the ability to choose between quality and performance modes - a choice you don't have on One X. Performance mode locks to 1080p and runs with an unlocked frame-rate up to 60 frames per second.
City density in terms of NPC and vehicle count sees Series X clearly running with higher settings - it's not a like-for-like comparison."

So again, it is NOT just BC, otherwise they wouldn’t have a mode that the lastgen gens do not have.
BC is simply playing the EXACTLY the SAME version

no! Because it’s simply NOT just BC,DF already confirmed it:

"Xbox Series X also offers more than just backwards compatibility. While it does seem to share a bunch of features from the Xbox One X version of the game, it gains the ability to choose between quality and performance modes - a choice you don't have on One X. Performance mode locks to 1080p and runs with an unlocked frame-rate up to 60 frames per second.
City density in terms of NPC and vehicle count sees Series X clearly running with higher settings - it's not a like-for-like comparison."

So again, it is NOT just BC, otherwise they wouldn’t have a mode that the lastgen gens do not have.
BC is simply playing the EXACTLY the SAME version
Well said. Bc has become an excuse on why series x is the superior version

Entroyp

So PS5 is running the PS4 pro version in BC mode and XsX is native. That’s pretty shit for the XsX but we all know by now it isn’t as powerful as MS was saying it was.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I already stated it. Because that option is not for the XSX, is for the Xbox One X version. Xbox one X is more powerful than PS4 Pro. PS5 runs PS4 Pro version which doesn't have a quality mode, and XSX runs Xbox Ome X version which does have a quality mode.
Yes XSX does have the performance/quality mode.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The XSX version does run specific code that the XB1X version doesn't, so it's not simply BC. It's Smart Delivery or whatever, which I guess allows each console to get different code. So it's not really BC, but also not fully optimized for XSX. On PS5 it's simply the PS4 Pro version running better.

Chukhopops

So PS5 is running the PS4 pro version in BC mode and XsX is native. That’s pretty shit for the XsX but we all know by now it isn’t as powerful as MS was saying it was.
Does PS4 Pro run 60fps at 1200p or equivalent? If not then PS5 is not running in BC mode either, it’s running a specific profile for PS5. If it was BC, wouldn’t it be using the same frame cap and resolution cap?

I’m not saying it’s fully optimized and built from the ground up for next gen either (just to be clear), but I don’t see how it’s different from the SX situation.

Does PS4 Pro run 60fps at 1200p or equivalent? If not then PS5 is not running in BC mode either, it’s running a specific profile for PS5. If it was BC, wouldn’t it be using the same frame cap and resolution cap?

The game uses dynamic resolution scaling. So there isnt really a resolution cap change. But there is a change in framerate limit. PS4 and PS4 pro cannot get higher than 30fps no matter what.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The BC part is not totally true.

If Series X is just replicating One X, and PS5 is replicating Pro, then the next gen games would be the exact same as playing on One X or Pro.

But they are different. The next gen games are still better in terms of looks, frame rate and loading. And the next gen patches aren't even out yet.

Ok that makes sense. I thought the XSX got the next gen patch before the PS5.

The XSX version does run specific code that the XB1X version doesn't, so it's not simply BC. It's Smart Delivery or whatever, which I guess allows each console to get different code. So it's not really BC, but also not fully optimized for XSX. On PS5 it's simply the PS4 Pro version running better.

Ok that would explain the differences. I guess once the next gen patches get released another comparison should be done between the two platforms since both versions should improve with it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
at least it's more stable at 60 fps
That might have been true yesterday, not sure if it’s still true today (after both got patches)

I can’t tell because I have VRR enabled.

I do know that the bug where the game freezes for a couple seconds while driving on Xbox is gone.

Last edited:
The BC part is not totally true.

If Series X is just replicating One X, and PS5 is replicating Pro, then the next gen games would be the exact same as playing on One X or Pro.

But they are different. The next gen games are still better in terms of looks, frame rate and loading. And the next gen patches aren't even out yet.
We'll see when the next gen versions come out . But what in telling you makes sense, xbox one x version has more graphic features than PS4 Pro version. The thing is that some of those features are unlocked which is why next gen consoles make the game better without need for optimization.

Once again

- Xbox Series X uses software BC so with a simple "patch" the Xbox One X game gets upgraded to higher resolution/performance/higher settings maybe
- PS5 uses hardware BC in boost mode so the resolution/graphics is locked to the PS4 Pro limit, with the benefit that the uncapped framerate is free to run at locked 60fps

Still we are talking about last gen software in both cases

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Once again

- Xbox Series X uses software BC so with a simple "patch" the Xbox One X game gets upgraded to higher resolution/performance/higher settings maybe
- PS5 uses hardware BC in boost mode so the resolution/graphics is locked to the PS4 Pro limit, with the benefit that the uncapped framerate is free to run at locked 60fps

Still we are talking about last gen software in both cases

Except the Pro version is capped at 30fps I think? So the PS5 version can't be just plain BC either, because it runs at 60. So hmm, yeah.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
OP, why does it matter to you that the XSX runs one game better than the PS5? You need to disengage from the console wars. This didn’t deserve a thread.

Top Bottom