• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & XSX: Would you rather have Ray Tracing or Smooth 120FPS gaming?

Would you prefer Ray Racing or 120FPS?

• Total voters

Butz

Banned
Moving goalposts to fit your narrative is a tad silly, but you do you.

Says the guy posting a "Raytracing comparison" of a canola field in Battlefield 5 when the game is only using the raytracing effects for its reflections.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

You’re no different than the folks that said 1080p was TOO MUCH. Get real, your human anatomy allows you to perceive far higher than 120FPS. Games will not only feel but look a lot smoother to you. Your eyes aren’t limited by some ancient 60FPS display technology any more or less than people 200 years in the future that will scoff at the tech.

Of course I know what I'm talking about. I have been using 1440p 144hz with 1080 Ti for quite some time. 144hz is at its peak when I'm playing fast pace FPS games like Apex Legend or panning the camera in Dota 2. But when I'm playing slow immersive games like RE2 Remake , do I even care about 144hz? The answer is no.

Try hook up a controller and play Gears 5 at 144hz and you will understand what I meant. I can perceive the motion well enough but the analog acceleration couldn't keep up to take advantage of the high refresh rate, that's what I'm talking about initially. And console main input is gamepad which is what this thread been discussing about.

P/s I absolutely hate 1080p on 27" and above, it's never enough

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
RM28JUM.jpg

Just gonna say I'm glad WD:L uses raytracing so I no longer have to look at reflections like these.

Sweetloaf

YouTube Only supports 60Hz so do most people’s current displays, so it’s the only way to show the difference without you guys checking it out for yourselves. It’s like 30 to 60, but instead of just dropping the judder it also looks really amazingly smooth.

I know what you're saying but it's just as useless as showing 120Hz on a 60Hz screen :)

Butz

Banned
Did you just say that the controller is slower than your refresh rate? Have you tried.... wired? The controller acceleration isn’t the fault of your display being superior to your controller options.
Controller sticks move slower than your mouse.

Rickyiez

Did you just say that the controller is slower than your refresh rate? Have you tried.... wired?

I'm talking about the analog acceleration, it's not meant to be flicked like mouse. You just snap in with aim assist and this kind of gameplay doesn't really make the best use of 144hz

Unless everyone been using kb/m on console then I've nothing to argue about.

RedVIper

Banned
As much as I love high frame rates and high refresh rates (which I voted for) can I please point out the futility of slowing down video clips to display the difference between FPS and Hz. Both of these measurements are reported per second. As soon as the video is slowed down you are no longer showing the difference in frames or refreshes per second, you are exaggerating the effect to make it look more noticeable than it is in reality .

I believe the reason it's slowed down it's because youtube can't display over 60fps and because most peoples screens are 60fps. If neither of those were true there would be no reason to slow down the videos.
I do agree that it exaggerates somewhat the effect. But it's definitely noticeable.

FeldMonster

I believe the reason it's slowed down it's because youtube can't display over 60fps and because most peoples screens are 60fps. If neither of those were true there would be no reason to slow down the videos.
I do agree that it exaggerates somewhat the effect. But it's definitely noticeable.
The point, I believe, is that once you are above 60 fps, you get diminished marginal returns, i.e. doubling the framerate does not provide double the benefit for a user.

The difference becomes less and less noticeable, just as the jump from 4K to 8K is.

Top Bottom