• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & XSX: Would you rather have Ray Tracing or Smooth 120FPS gaming?

Would you prefer Ray Racing or 120FPS?

• Total voters

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
This forum and moderation is bias in favor of Sony Playstation fans ***at all times***. This IS SonyGAF.

If you’re not a Sony fanboy, do yourself a favor and enjoy gaming talk elsewhere where it’s not skewed by pseudo moderation. NeoGAF IS unfortunately a Playstation fanboy forum and you will be negatively targeted if you enjoy Xbox. You WILL be attacked by PS fanboys and PS fanboy moderation.

I hope that everyone can find a new place besides here where they can enjoy gaming talk or discussions in peace without being wrongly and negatively targeted if they’re not a PS fanboy.

I feel sorry for all of you that unfortunately found their way to this place, but sadly it is simply the way that it is here.

Get out now while you still can, otherwise I wish you all the best of luck.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My PC monitor does 165hz for fast-paced games, I have no plans on getting a 120hz TV any time soon. My couch gaming is for prettiness, not responsiveness.

I'd take 60fps with no RT than 30fps with RT any single day of the week, though.

lol OP is NOT biased AT ALL. wtf

its not about "pretty reflection".

its about realism. Using Ray Tracing - for the first time ever - video games can look like real life

This is a much bigger game changer than 120fps.. why would you need 120fps? for most games, this is not needed.

Just look at a few videos:

This looks like fucking REAL.

JAMMA

This forum and moderation is bias in favor of Sony Playstation fans ***at all times***. This IS SonyGAF.

If you’re not a Sony fanboy, do yourself a favor and enjoy gaming talk elsewhere where it’s not skewed by pseudo moderation. NeoGAF IS unfortunately a Playstation fanboy forum and you will be negatively targeted if you enjoy Xbox. You WILL be attacked by PS fanboys and PS fanboy moderation.

I hope that everyone can find a new place besides here where they can enjoy gaming talk or discussions in peace without being wrongly and negatively targeted if they’re not a PS fanboy.

I feel sorry for all of you that unfortunately found their way to this place, but sadly it is simply the way that it is here.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
30fps is playable on gamepad and framerate upscaling works very well on new HDTV's (very small input lag penalty) therefore I would choose better graphics (RT) 👍. If someone wants 60fps-120fps at all costs then PC is the way to go.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I firmly believe RTX is overrated right now. The tech is just not mature enough on $1000+ graphic cards let alone cheap consoles.

Smooth framerate is a far better use of computational resources.
Pretty much this. I own a 2080 Ti and RTX is nice in games like Metro, it's very much not worth the performance cost in most instances.

I'd wager to guess that in a "blind" test, most people couldn't tell the difference between a ray traced image/gameplay vs non-RTX

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd wager to guess that in a "blind" test, most people couldn't tell the difference between a ray traced image/gameplay vs non-RTX

Honestly, the absolute best uses I've seen of it so far are in low poly games like Quake and Minecraft where your brain isn't already distracted by the 6000 other pieces of detail in the image.

Bankai

Far from triggered. As a player I want smooth performance because realism in video games are far too overrated

If I want realism I have my life and also movies and TV shows. Lets not turn video games into that also please

Uhu. This seem like realism to you? Because all I see is awesomeness.

Mista

Banned

Never said it isn't awesome mate. Its great even but I still stand with what I said, I'll take smoother experience over this

If we can get both without sacrificing anything then its a win-win

Flintty

It would be nice if they actually released the RTX pack for Minecraft. Been like half a year since they announced it and I worry it’ll go the way of the ‘super duper’ texture pack they had planned on Xbox.

JAMMA

Last edited:
no point in 120fps games on consoles. how many people actually own 120hz tvs? i do but still i dont think giving up ray tracing (that benefits everyone) for a small minority of people with 120hz tvs is reasonable...at all. 60fps is more than good enough so it sounds absolutely silly to me to waste all those resources on 120fps for a handful of customers

While I do love some high framerates I chose ray tracing only because it is in its infancy and needs to start somewhere and I think now is a good time! I would rather have 1080p @ 60fps with RT more than anything else, I know people are going to throw stones at me, but with ray tracing it is going to make game development easier and faster since developers will no longer have to deal with shadow maps, etc. like they do now...it is a painful step starting off with it, but once it gets going and hardware gets faster it will be amazing down the road. I can't look forward to what developers do over the next 5-7 years with these next gen systems!

CuNi

I picked RTX, but only because for me this was implied to be 60 FPS if the other option is 120 FPS. My TV has 60hz so I don't need anything above that, which is why I would go for looks as long as it can hit 60 FPS. I got my PC for 240hz gaming.

Reactions: TLZ

ManaByte

120fps?

I just want 60fps. Stop hoping for something publishers who value visuals over performance (because the marketing department is who truly drives development) will never deliver on.

johntown

Banned
Smooth 60fps would be a more realistic target then 120fps. I personally prefer a smoother/higher framerate instead if increased graphics.

My bet though is they target 4k30fps with a mild form of ray tracing enabled. Consoles are not going to be high end PC's but I could see them giving you the option of 1080p 60fps (performance mode) or 4k30fps with Ray Tracing (quality mode).

NAI1210

I voted for 120fps, even though I kinda doubt we will even get a solid 60fps on next gen, everyone will use the extra grunt for more graphical bells n whistles, which is kinda depressing as long the games are good 😊

JAMMA

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
A next generation of consoles should look like one.
If developers would focus on 120FPS, the games would still look like they do now + there'd be another 7 years of 1080p.

If you want high FPS, get a PC.

PocoJoe

Banned
no point in 120fps games on consoles. how many people actually own 120hz tvs? i do but still i dont think giving up ray tracing (that benefits everyone) for a small minority of people with 120hz tvs is reasonable...at all. 60fps is more than good enough so it sounds absolutely silly to me to waste all those resources on 120fps for a handful of customers

This. IMO it is almost retarded to want 120fps for consoles. Just buy PC if your brain & reflexes are too bad to adapt for 30fps.

60hz I understand, as it is noticeable vs 30hz, but 120hz on console is just fucking overkill.

I bet that maybe 0.1% of games / gamers with gamepad would gain anything big from 120 vs 60. Just pure idiocy and waste of resources.

I dont say that RT is much better as now, but 60fps + max details is the best choice.

30-60hz is 100% playable, unless the gamer have some issues and cant adapt into minor "lag"

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Far from triggered. As a player I want smooth performance because realism in video games are far too overrated

If I want realism I have my life and also movies and TV shows. Lets not turn video games into that also please
You can still have great gameplay with realistic graphics :)

yurinka

I don't need 120fps at all. I prefer great visuals at 60fps, or even 30fps if needed in some genres. For the next gen I want a big step in visuals, not in framerate or resolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom